• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
qyniss5w13h01.jpg

2018_02_19_40886_1519030027._large.jpg

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/02/19/mt-sinabung-spews-massive-smoke-and-ash-column.html

Mount Sinabung volcano erupted Monday, sending a massive column of ash and smoke some 5,000 metres (16,400 feet)into the air, leaving local villages coated in debris and officials scrambling to hand out face masks to residents.

The volcano, on Sumatra island, which has been rumbling since 2010 and saw a deadly eruption in 2016, spewed the thick plume after activity picked up recent days.

"This was the biggest eruption for Sinabung this year," said volcanology agency chief Kasbani.

There were no reports of injuries or deaths.

No one lives inside a previously announced no-go zone around the volcano.

But hundreds of houses outside the seven-kilometre danger zone were covered in volcanic ash.

Officials have distributed face masks and urged local residents to stay indoors to avoid respiratory problems, said local disaster mitigation agency official Nata Nail Perangin-angin.

"In some villages the visibility was barely five metres after the eruption -- it was pitch black," Perangin-angin added.

Pressure inside the crater was threatening to spark collapses in its dome, the official said.

Sinabung roared back to life in 2010 for the first time in 400 years. After another period of inactivity it erupted once more in 2013, and has remained highly active since.

In 2016, seven people died in one of Sinabung's eruptions, while a 2014 eruption left 16 people dead.

Indonesia is home to around 130 volcanoes due to its position on the "Ring of Fire", a belt of tectonic plate boundaries circling the Pacific Ocean where frequent seismic activity occurs.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
After watching 'Into the Inferno' and learning about pyrocastic flows, I dont fuck with volcanos. At least you have a chance with the debris. A fast moving super heated cloud? Not so much.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Magnificent, hopefully this is enough to let off the internal pressure of the volcano. The scary part is not being caught under the down fall of all that ash.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when you stop throwing virgins into the volcano. Checkmate atheists.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
1. Hope everyone is safe and out of harm's way;

2. Watch for economic impact -- esp. where airlines are concerned (see: Iceland);

3. Watch for climate impact -- eruptions tend to lead to measurable global cooling.

4. Can't believe we actually have a Mount Cinnabon in the world.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit. I'm going to Bali for my honeymoon this fall and there's a volcano like 50km from my hotel (Mt Agung) as well....

OP
OP
Saya

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to make a new thread, turns out I made one about two years ago. Anyway, the mountain erupted again today:

I hope everyone is ok.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Dear Mt.Sinabung . . . . This is not the time for an electric boogaloo. Can't you STFU at least until the world has gotten over this pandemic.