• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
DennisCollapse.gif

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
If anything it just means people (including myself) forgot basic Multiplication. A simple calculation of 327m x 1m should have been enough to go "ah I see".

This definitely makes for a fun ice breaker, I'm going to try it out with my family lol.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
That is an amazing statement. It got me confused for a second.

If the US population decreases to about 500 people, then the statement would become true! Imagine 500 people living in this big of a country. All of them are millionaires, and there is nobody left to deliver their Amazon purchases to their homes, which are too big to clean by one person, even if that person is a millionaire.
Sounds like a decent enough Twilight Zone episode.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
For people struggling with this:

500,000,000/327,000,000 = 1.52

That's $1.52 per head.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I passed a college math course with an A+ just last semester and I have to admit it took me a sec to see the problem. 😑 Math is hard.
It's because people see it as 500 instances of a million dollars, not 500 million individual dollars.

The framing can trick your mind for a second. It's not something to be embarrassed about...unless it shows up on national television.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Don't believe anyone who says that being good at math is "something you're born with." Our innate sense of numbers is hilariously bad at times. There's a really good book about it I wish I could recall right now.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
500 million dollars.
327 million people.

So a million per person?
No, only 327 people would get it as 1,000,000 x 327 = 327,000,000. In order for the math in the tweet to check out, you would need 327,000,000,000,000 or 327 trillion dollars. It's easy to get confused because of how similar the numbers are but it is a very big error to make.

Edit: oop sorry, someome alreday explained it to you. Ridn"t mean to pile on.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
its just a stupid oversight that people are blowing out of proportion. It has more to do with fatigue and the need for immediacy than intelligence.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
As a math teacher, I am VERY sad for our future if this sort of math is being considered plausible...

also if that's the case I'll take my million dollar check first please!

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
its just a stupid oversight that people are blowing out of proportion. It has more to do with fatigue and the need for immediacy than intelligence.

This was a planned segment on MSNBC. Somehow this was all signed off by Brian Williams, the NYT Editorial Board member, and the entire back of house team at MSNBC including the producer, editors, etc.

It's a complete inability to do basic elementary math, and it somehow made it through at least half a dozen people at MSNBC and into a live broadcast where two people nod and agree at how truthful it is in front of all of their viewers.

It's really quite stunning.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about this is that it blunts the absurdity of Bloomberg's wealth. He came out ahead despite burning 500 million on a vanity campaign, it was effectively nothing to him.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a math teacher, I am VERY sad for our future if this sort of math is being considered plausible...

also if that's the case I'll take my million dollar check first please!
Uh huh. "So that's 20 lessons over the semester at $60 each, so you owe me $100,000, upfront."

Wait, I think that is how US colleges work out tuition fees now.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If it takes you more than a simple glance to realize that shit is wrong, damn... that shit doesn't even need fact-checking.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Our school systems have really failed us. We have people believing in conspiracy theories and denying the work of scientists who have spent their lives or even died in the pursuit of human knowledge and progress. lmao
Not even saying it as a slight because I also had to think about it for minutes, when we should know this in seconds.

A better breakdown:
There is 500,000,000 dollars
There is 327,000,000 people
That's not a breakdown, you just made 500 million and 327 million take up more space

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
God, I wonder what would happen to these networks if Twitter just went away one day. It shows such a lack of journalistic integrity with how much they just rely on it for doing their work for them. Also, Isn't it really easy to become "verified" on Twitter and get a blue check? I thought I read somewhere you basically just have to go through a simple vetting process to prove you are human.

Oh shit.

I just can't.

When fact checking that you could do yourself on scratch paper in less then 3 minutes is too much trouble then you shouldn't be on TV! What the fuck.

Social media was a mistake. 24hrs was a mistake. We as a race of beings can't manage the amount of information available through the internet or even cable tv.

Shut it all fucking down

I would prefer if 24 hour news channels & social media had went away completely & we'd all go back to the old days before they were ever invented. They've made this country dumber & dumber.

Last edited: