• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maaaan if I didn't already love my Surface Laptop, I'd consider upgrading just for that matte black finish. BLESS.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I love the look of the surface laptop and the internal upgrades should keep it competitive for a while.

But I have seen in this topic and a few others people chiming in on the importance of USB-C.

Just how prevalent is it expected to be moving forward? Currently I don't own anything that uses or needs USB-C and the only thing holding me off from buying a surface laptop are the concerns that it may be "outdated" soon due to lack of certain ports.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I love the look of the surface laptop and the internal upgrades should keep it competitive for a while.

But I have seen in this topic and a few others people chiming in on the importance of USB-C.

Just how prevalent is it expected to be moving forward? Currently I don't own anything that uses or needs USB-C and the only thing holding me off from buying a surface laptop are the concerns that it may be "outdated" soon due to lack of certain ports.
For many devices its probably about convenience for most people, but in a laptop a usbc / tb3 port can allow for external GPU usage which some people want.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Are surface/windows devices still trash at idle battery life?

I would actually consider something like the Surface Go because it matches the size I'm looking for, but in my experience, Windows 10 2 and 1s are terrible in handling idle bafteba drain. I can't stand picking up a dead tablet after a few days of not using it after it started at 50% abobe. You can can't get this basic thing right, you've failed as a tablet.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If it's the same gap between SB1 and SB2, we will see SB3 next Oct/Nov.

I could see them doing a spec bump next fall though and then something more significant in 2020. The chips that Intel just released are essentially the same chips in the SB2 but with added PCI express lanes so we could see TB added with the next update.

Dang the black SL2 and SP6 are really great looking. Really wish my SB2 was black.

As far as "Why would ANYONE buy a Surface?!?!111"

I've had a SP4 and SB2 now. Both had some software issues during the first 6 months which were eventually ironed out. It was nothing show stopping for me though with either device.

I guess we will see how long my late 2013 MBPr will last. Hopefully we at least get a significant spec bump with the Surface Book lineup next Fall.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had the SP4 for a year. It was pretty shit. Driver, battery, and hibernation problems galore. Thing literally sleep drained the whole battery in 24 hours. I was able to fix all those problems but it was no easy task, and I think updates maybe fixed it but I never held my breath.

I did enjoy the concept of the SP and wish it was ironed out better, but I almost rarely used it as a tablet and avoided touching the screen.

In the end, I went back to apple for the amazing trackpad (and even Apple's shitty butterfly keyboard is better than the SP type-cover) and native bash.

This new iteration is interesting though, and quite affordable for the 128gb silver version ($640 on MS store right now).

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Love my Surface Pro 4. But the battery has died and it's out of warranty.

It works plugged in but I like to use it on the move.

I check at MS and they dont do repairs. I've also Googled and apparently it's near impossible to replace yourself. My only official option is to pay MS for a refurb, costing £333 lol.

Anyone know of a solution? Or am I best looking into a new device?

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018

I check at MS and they dont do repairs. I've also Googled and apparently it's near impossible to replace yourself. My only official option is to pay MS for a refurb, costing £333 lol.

What do you use the device for, is the Surface GO an option?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

New device. Think of Surfaces as a tablet in that regard.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My Surface Pro 6 has a fault on the screen!! Oh no!!

It developed a number of large green splodges in the bottom middle of the screen, and they're pretty bright and visible against any dark colours. I've just sent it back for repair! :( It's a real nuisance because it is my main PC. I'm back on my Surface Pro 4 now, and really hoping that I didn't forget to backup anything important.

In related news, I'm planning to set up a home desk setup in a couple of weeks when the replacement arrives. I've done some tests with the Surface Pro 6 with a 4k monitor and I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it copes. I'm doing mostly 2D illustration and game development in Unity/Blender. I'll report back!

I'm so glad I didn't sell my Surface Pro 4.