• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold," a Microsoft spokesperson has told us.

edit

Last edited:

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Makes sense, XBL Gold is a big source of revenue for them. Doesn't make sense to kill it all-together, although it's time to remove the pay-wall for F2P games. Which I think they'll do in the future.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed this was the case when they confirmed the news about Halo Infinite having free multiplayer. It seemed like an exception from the broader spectrum of Gold, not the new rule.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
right now... next month yes lol

but seriously, they need a winning card like this (hoping gold does not merge into gamepass).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't a bunch of pseudo insiders alluded to the opposite being true? Unless this really is just deferring the possibility to a later time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They want to get us mad right now so that we're overblown with joy next month when they announce it'll be free. I see you MS, I see you.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
677.jpg

Does anyone else feel the reason they're able to say this is because they're gonna just have Xbox Live Gold, GamePass, and Xcloud all under one new banner going forward? Like, they already offer that under GamePass Ultimate but I wonder if it'll have a new name? Or maybe that's what the recent rebranding is doing?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't they already heavily implied that the gold paywall is coming down for f2p games? That would be a change.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
The only thing surprising, is people thinking this is surprising.

I always interpreted Xbox's updated policy as F2P games are no longer locked behind a paywall.

I guess you can argue that it is even up for interpretation as an issue.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Even it they remove gold they won't leave all that money on the table. Maybe they will change how the service works with Gamepass etc...

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
There not going announce they are planning a change before the change comes

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is the exact quote from Microsoft -

"The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold."

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
The word plans isn't even in the full statement written on the website. With the full context I still don't think it rules out MS dropping Gold.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense, XBL Gold is a big source of revenue for them. Doesn't make sense to kill it all-together, although it's time to remove the pay-wall for F2P games. Which I think they'll do in the future.
Yeah, there's no way they'd remove it. People are accustomed to paying to play online across the big 3 ecosystems. They'd lose more from dropping live than gain

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't they already heavily implied that the gold paywall is coming down for f2p games? That would be a change.
No they haven't. Some people are speculating this because of Halo Infinite being F2P, but right now Halo Infinite's Steam page notes that Gold is required on console and the Xbox game showcase had "Gold required" disclaimers on 2021 F2P game trailers.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
there is no "at this time" in the actual quote

of course this doesn't mean much, but many are pointing at the wrong direction

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
This is the exact quote from Microsoft -

"The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold."

Right there is no at this time or right now in what MS said.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
There is no way nothing is changing if they removed the 12 month option. This is just PR until they actually announce it.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

No, it doesn't make a lick of sense to charge for online multiplayer unless your goal is to fleece your customers (which it clearly is I guess). But it should make no sense to us.

What is the weird Stockholm Syndrome gamers have about paying for online? Or are there just way more MS and Sony shareholders on this board that I would have thought?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks !

So they'll make available again the 12 months Gold subscription, right ?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If I was going to make a change I wouldn't even comment on this. Sounds like gold is staying