• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Still think it's wildly stupid that Ike's terrible ABC flop poisoned the well for Inhumans but meh, if they were going to reinvent most of Kamala's deal anyway, this was a neat way to inject something else that folks have been wanting to see to soften the blow.

I know people will be happy to see the mutants triumph over Inhumans regardless since there was a time that Marvel tried to sell Inhumans like the "New Coke" version of mutants but still, Kamala's story was never really something I imagined necessitated the changes they've done. Sour grapes. At least Iman captures the spirit of Kamala regardless of the other changes made to the character, that's what ultimately matters.

Now give us a proper fucking X-Men team that isn't just a vehicle for Wolverine.

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it.

Peter-Dinklage-as-Wolverine-by-Brandon-Bird..jpg
Let's go bub.

BERSERKER BARRAGE

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
My guess:

Mutants have always existed, but activating the x-gene took some outside action.

Now, let's say outside action could be damn near anything, so long as it's tangently related to their power set, or something specifically designed to activate powers in some braid spectrum way. 'Inhumans' in the MCU we're just mutants who's genes were activated by the krees experiments and the mists.

But not every empowered was a mutant, some got their abilities in other ways. After all we have aliens, science accidents, exposure to magic, technology, and even supernatural now all existing in the MCU.

So how do we get mass mutation? Easy: the snap. When banner snapped, he triggered the start of x-gene activation in thousands of people. Over the course of phase 4's remaining films and shows we'll start to show those threads, as well as the inevitable conflict with the public and DofDmg, leading to a registration act and calls for a more robust counter enhanced/empowered force.

That gives us sentinels and so on.

The downside is that potentially makes a justification to make huge numbers of marvel hero's 'mutants' as a retcon, which would cheapen the mutant identity.

Cant wait to see how they handle this.

The Snap has been mentioned as a source ever since it happened, but i don't believe that will be the way. It directly cuts into some of the key character's history, unless they totally retcon that and/or just not use those characters.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'd watch Ms Marvel but do I want to be put through MCU writers dealing with the partition?

My family still feels the generational trauma from that, and I've heard there's merely a throwaway mention of Sikhs. I've also heard that none of the complexities of the partition are at all handled and it passed as "the British drew a border"

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I have been out of the main books for a few years now and missed that but I kind of wouldn't mind reading it despite the idea of an entire series about how Carol hates rogue so much that she's obsessively hunting her seems a bit against my thoughts on the matter. Could be fun.
The series I'm talking about came out during House of M and followed her story of remembering that she was the premier hero in that reality.

It established her cat named Chewy (named after the writers cat)

It was still a defining book for Carol though. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd trade that has the Rouge stuff.

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
I think I like it. I wonder if they will have the use of the infinity stones being an "activation" of people's mutant genes or something similar.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm hoping Storm makes a surprise appearance in Wakanda Forever.

As I said earlier, that isnt really enough. I guess that could be the secret scene at the end of the film, but I want an X-Men character movie or show to not be years away.

X-Men is literally what most people have replaced their MCU enthusiasm with now that the Avengers saga is done.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The series I'm talking about came out during House of M and followed her story of remembering that she was the premier hero in that reality.

It established her cat named Chewy (named after the writers cat)

It was still a defining book for Carol though. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd trade that has the Rouge stuff.

Ah okay that was during another break. I'm going to assume that led to the moment from a few years ago when Carol called Rogue in to help with this weird alternate world bleeding in situation? Where Carol and her basically realize they'll never be friends but respect each other? (I liked that story but can't remember it completely…just knew it had Carol in this kind of Mad Max version of her costume)

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So this phase is going to be one long tease of mediocre MCU films until we get to the x-men content we really want. Great.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I'd watch Ms Marvel but do I want to be put through MCU writers dealing with the partition?

My family still feels the generational trauma from that, and I've heard there's merely a throwaway mention of Sikhs. I've also heard that none of the complexities of the partition are at all handled and it passed as "the British drew a border"
When she goes to Karachi she has a relative that goes into how torn she is over her history and she and everyone has to deal with it. Also her mom in episode 2 says "the British left us with a mess". There's also whole flashback episode set during Partition and families fleeing by train. I'm Caucasian so I can't speak to how it would make anyone feel, just providing more (hopefully helpful ) context.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was a really cool and unexpected change that made the introduction of mutants that much cooler since everyone would have been expecting another big name (even though we just got Charles in another universe) to be the first one to randomly appear. This came out of left field, but also makes sense for the character since there aren't really any other high profile Inhumans besides the Royal Family and they come with a lot of baggage now.

I do feel kind of bad of Agents of SHIELD now (and Chloe Bennet as pretty much the lone non-Royal Family Inhuman), just for all the work they've done the flesh out Inhumans that even the Inhumans show ignored. Although I suppose if Feige wanted to integrate AoS into the MCU, they could resurrect the show with a multiversal plot line which fits with the theme of Phase 4 and would also help with the discrepancy that was created by not lining up with the end of Infinity War/Endgame and all the timetravel they did.

They were also seeding the fear of mutants, and it's interesting how they have ended up weaving the subtle racist mistrust of Muslims with the mistrust of teenagers with powers.

Marvel has opened the flood gates.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
She isn't a literal Djinn, people just called people with powers that because they didn't have the language to call them mutants/meta-humans

Djinn is just how anyone with powers would've been called if they showed up 100 years ago in South Asia.

That's what the show went for
It's similar to the concept of the Eternals where ancient people couldn't grasp the specific concept of their being, so they were considered to be "gods", and the Deviants (particularly in the comics) was what inspired the stories of dragons, trolls, ogres, and other fantasy creatures.

One of the reasons I've always found mutants lame compared to the rest of Marvel is their lack of origin stories. The most popular X-Men have clear origin stories too (Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine).
I'd imagine it would be really tiring coming up with another origin story to why a normal person became a super-powered being. You'd get to the point similar to that Family Guy skit of Stephen King making a story about a lamp:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMZONL8x8NE

Just chalking the origin of powers down to "some energy mutating the body", "magic", or having alien DNA/are alien ("They are aliens so we know not of THEIR peoples' powers for we are just lowly humans, THEY come from another WORLD! COSMIC SHIT, BABY!!!").

It would eventually get to a point where someone gets bitten by a radioactive toilet and turns into a superhero called "The Flush".

Jesus I didn't realize this. All the bullshit "over my shoulder to reach my asshole" comments about how mutants have to be introduced via the multiverse and Marvel just straight up dropped mutants existing in the MCU already confirmation on us.
It's the slow build, like they seem to be doing for the Fantastic Four. First you had the nod to the existing Fox X-Men with Ralph Boehner/Fake Quicksilver (Evan Peters) in WandaVision, then you had MoM with Professor X (an ACTUAL Professor X variant portrayed by Patrick Stewart, who portrayed Professor X in the Fox movies), and now confirmation that Kamala's a Mutant and Mutants already exist in the base MCU universe. Next step is to slowly introduce X-Men characters into the movies/shows before the actual FIRST MCU X-Men movie.

If we do get her as the sort of new X-men member, I still hope they have Shadowcat and Jubilee.
I don't see her as an X-Men character. I think her, Ironheart, America Chavez, and others are going to be the setup for the MCU's Young Avengers. Kamala WILL have cross-overs with the X-Men, though. I think, being the fangirl she is, she'd much rather be a part of the Avengers (Avengers-associated) than the X-Men.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
As I said earlier, that isnt really enough. I guess that could be the secret scene at the end of the film, but I want an X-Men character movie or show to not be years away.

X-Men is literally what most people have replaced their MCU enthusiasm with now that the Avengers saga is done.

There's that rumoured Logan TV show that's supposed to be anthology with each season being a different time in Logan's life. It's a rumor that I hope is true regards phase 5. Which will hopefully start end of 2023/beginning of 2024. Hoping SDCC announce some X-Men related shows.

Personally I would love a "Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters" TV show focusing on the students and leaving the movies to focus on the teachers.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
since we're doing open spoilers here, does anyone else think the Shang Chi post credits where Carol says that the rings are acting like a energy source (something like that) is related to Kamalas bangle?

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People are speculating at a mutants Annucement at comic con. That's the big news and why they are back

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
This is good. There was a thread before about Phase 4 being a bit goalless or something, and for me personally, I was just losing interest in these meh characters like Jane Thor, so have been constantly reading spoilers for F4 and X-Men, basically. Looks like they're hooking me back in!

Cool that they're making her a mutant. The Jinn stuff wasn't working for me. I wasn't really offended by it as a Muslim per se, just wasn't very interesting, and I guess trivialises Jinn's as Islamic mysticism, which isn't the way we view it (+ there's additional layers they could've gone with but then those would've definitely caused offense).

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Since we're MCU mutant speculating it would be great if Wanda's in isolation and there's a knock at her door. Green haired girl who says she needs her help, they're hunting her. Go away. But I'm your sister.

Let her get over her grief and regain her humanity with the help of Lorna.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Since we're MCU mutant speculating it would be great if Wanda's in isolation and there's a knock at her door. Green haired girl who says she needs her help, they're hunting her. Go away. But I'm your sister.

Let her get over her grief and regain her humanity with the help of Lorna.
After Multiverse of Madness

I would prefer Illuminati Universe Wanda coming over with her sons so she they can just circumvent the baggage.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Clandestine are extradimensional Noor beings trapped as humans. Kamala is a clandestine/human hybrid and so is Kamran presumably. Kamala has the power to shape the Noor dimension energy thanks to her X-gene. But her X-gene was only unlocked due to the (magic? alien?) bangle that also allows her to travel through time and space. Kamran can shape the energy because his mother moved the Noor portal inside his body, nothing to do with mutants at all. Am I getting all this junk correct?

Yup, this whole thing has been needlessly confusing. Why even have all that Noor stuff and then she ends up a mutant? So weird

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Poorly Aged Things

519565043_AE_8729_D794289E9C98A5052CA1D84C05D78748.jpg

If you Zoom out you can see Perlmutter's gun on his back
Sucks, wish Feige kept it as is and tried to make it work. I remember Vin pushing for the Black Bolt role and that would've been funny seeing how he'd go from a 4 word character to one that rarely speaks. Not the biggest fan of the change but it works better with the universe they've made.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Imagine wanting Kamala saddled with the stink of the Inhumans

All of the Inhumans fans just left their basement and jumped in their mom's four door and are on their way to protest at your house.

After Multiverse of Madness

I would prefer Illuminati Universe Wanda coming over with her sons so she they can just circumvent the baggage.

Maybe but it would be a bit TOO easy and we'd still always be reminded that she is not OUR Wanda.

I don't care if she's Inhuman or not.
Just not a freaking mutie.

Senator, the Sentinels are primed and ready for your command.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I do feel kind of bad of Agents of SHIELD now (and Chloe Bennet as pretty much the lone non-Royal Family Inhuman), just for all the work they've done the flesh out Inhumans that even the Inhumans show ignored. Although I suppose if Feige wanted to integrate AoS into the MCU, they could resurrect the show with a multiversal plot line which fits with the theme of Phase 4 and would also help with the discrepancy that was created by not lining up with the end of Infinity War/Endgame and all the timetravel they did.

There's no need for multiversal stuff. I hate that that always gets thrown out for everything these days.

Much like how the multiverse was never needed for the Netflix shows, it wouldn't be needed for AoS. There are already discrepancies and continuity errors in the Marvel Studios films themselves.

I mean, Spider-Man: Homecoming starts with a title card saying it takes place eight years after The Avengers, which would be during the Blip when Peter Parker is dust.

It happens. You can ignore it or fix it via a retcon and move on. No big deal.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool and all, but I think it's time for me to stop following IGN. If I don't see a new Disney+ Episode the morning of the drop, they spoil it with a graphic or with a headline.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I expect a thread in the coming weeks titled "Anyone tired of the X-Men theme song?"
I'm blown away coming into this thread and seeing this being a takeaway of some people after 2 uses of it, especially when one is a nod to X-Men 97 (which is where that variant of Charles got his design from) and since they show is entering the MCU soon, and the other use is to let people know that the use of the term mutation is an intentional allusion to the X-Men and not Inhumans.

There's no need for multiversal stuff. I hate that that always gets thrown out for everything these days.

Much like how the multiverse was never needed for the Netflix shows, it wouldn't be needed for AoS. There are already discrepancies and continuity errors in the Marvel Studios films themselves.

I mean, Spider-Man: Homecoming starts with a title card saying it takes place eight years after The Avengers, which would be during the Blip when Peter Parker is dust.

It happens. You can ignore it or fix it via a retcon and move on. No big deal.
I typically also hate the use of the multiverse being a quick fan solution to integrating any other media into MCU canon, but I think unlike all those other things, it makes perfect sense for AoS, continuity errors or not since as a show they've tackled every single theme and element introduced into the MCU and a bit part of the show has been exploring those ideas in ways that the movies wouldn't.

I wouldn't be lacing the show with baggage, in the way that making mutants coming from the multiverse would, it would be giving the show a gift of ideas for them to explore for a season.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I typically also hate the use of the multiverse being a quick fan solution to integrating any other media into MCU canon, but I think unlike all those other things, it makes perfect sense for AoS, continuity errors or not since as a show they've tackled every single theme and element introduced into the MCU and a bit part of the show has been exploring those ideas in ways that the movies wouldn't.

Still not seeing it. Not sure how it makes perfect sense just because AoS has tackled "every single theme." Who cares? The movies sometimes tackle similar themes as well and that will only continue as time goes on.

Zero reason to overcomplicate things with multiverse nonsense. Either the show will continue to be ignored or they'll do what they're doing with the Netflix shows. They won't do the multiverse.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Between making Kamala a mutant and brutally executing Black Bolt in Dr Strange, Feige's feelings on the Inhumans are now clear.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
tbh it 100% feels we are going to get an AU X-men until Marvel can Secret Wars to combine the Universes ala Hickmans Avengers/Secret Wars they clues are already there witht incursions

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say I got hyped as fuck when the little jingle played.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile

"Marvel doesn't have any iconic or memorable themes except maybe the Avengers theme"

Marvel: *Does the thing FOX refused to do which is recognizing the immense popularity of the 90's theme and exploit it*

"No, not like that"
To be honest, using the X-Men animated theme doesn't alleviate the comment that Marvel Studios films don't have iconic or memorable themes. The X-Men TAS theme isn't their theme, it's just them referencing a popular theme. I don't think anyone would say that Marvel in general doesn't have memorable themes, the themes of X2 and the Raimi Spider-Men movies are pretty darn iconic for example, and of course the X-Men TAS theme that Marvel Studios is now also using every time the word 'Mutant' is mentioned is also pretty cool.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Her main villian being a mutant? Moonstone and Dr. Minerva are closer to her main villian than Rogue ever was.

For a very long time Carol and Rogue had only encountered each other twice. Once when Rogue took her powers and once when Rogue join the X-Men.

She hated Rogue for a very long time, but I would never consider her Carol's "main villian"
Bless you for remembering Minerva.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's literally zero point in tethering Storm to Wakanda when T'Challa is dead and gone. That story arc wasn't exactly hugely popular either, so calling back to it would be kind of weird especially without T'Challa around.
It all was "Two biggest black characters just had to be together because they are black"

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it a ResetERA bubble thing or are people in the general web not excited by the mutant reveal and more importantly the 90s theme? As soon as I heard it, I was smiling like a giddy school boy. Maybe I am in the minority who loved that part.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
No shot they're going to de-power Cap Marvel in only her second film (I don't count Endgame since she was effectively a cameo with like 4-5 minutes screen time).

Good point. Then it needs to be Kamala constantly summoning Carol back to force a resolution between her and Monica while having to fight whatever Carol was dealing with when they switch places. Shenanigans!

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
When she goes to Karachi she has a relative that goes into how torn she is over her history and she and everyone has to deal with it. Also her mom in episode 2 says "the British left us with a mess". There's also whole flashback episode set during Partition and families fleeing by train. I'm Caucasian so I can't speak to how it would make anyone feel, just providing more (hopefully helpful ) context.
Appreciate it!

I really don't like it being reduced to just "the British left us with a mess" :(

Its a very nuanced and multifactorial issue that, even as someone whose maternal grandfather lost his family + home, I don't fully have a grasp of.

I'll get around to it one day with my mum and see what she thinks of it, I do want to make a thread on the topic after reading into it more (though I may grasp the nuance myself).