• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Clandestine are extradimensional Noor beings trapped as humans. Kamala is a clandestine/human hybrid and so is Kamran presumably. Kamala has the power to shape the Noor dimension energy thanks to her X-gene. But her X-gene was only unlocked due to the (magic? alien?) bangle that also allows her to travel through time and space. Kamran can shape the energy because his mother moved the Noor portal inside his body. Am I getting all this junk correct?
I thought I was the only one seeing it as convoluted.

It's like making Spiderman a mutant. You already have a reason for him to have powers why throw in mutation as well?

So you can have a cool after the credits scene I guess.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really big mistake to try and introduce this retroactively after 6 episodes about a completely different origin but I guess it gets this show in the headlines.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Eh fair. I got confused since everyone seems to be chomping at the bit to have Rogue absorb her powrs

I wouldn't really call Mystique her main villian either though to be honest.

Carol considers Mystique to be her "Green Goblin" so I guess I always equated that to meaning her main arch-enemy. At least she does when her & Peter go to dinner & he asks who her Norman Osborn is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the less sense it makes. Kamala would just be a normal person in the Noor dimension but because she is part human she can use it in 616.

How is that mutant? Or are they going to give her separate mutant powers too?

Given that Kamran has basically the exact same powers it's clear it's a species wide thing and not some special mutation.

That's like saying a half kree half person is a mutant... Sure but not in the X-men way?

Kamran didn't have those powers naturally. Najma basically forcefully unlocked them, the same way Kamala's X-gene unlocked them for her.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was the only one seeing it as convoluted.

It's like making Spiderman a mutant. You already have a reason for him to have powers why throw in mutation as well?

So you can have a cool after the credits scene I guess.

My thinking is the bangle was just a red herring or the radiation just activated the gene.

Her connection to noor and all that just comes from the fact she's a quarter or whatever clandestine and her mutation would likely include that aspect of her genetic makeup.

If what people are saying is right thwn the bangles nega bands or whatever were a gate to the negaverse or whatever and the clandestine knew that and that's why they wanted it. But thats all they were.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
When that musical bit hit I got shivers. I grew up an X-Men kid thanks to the animated series and seeing that they are finally coming to the MCU is just beyond exciting.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You're overcomplicating things to make it look messier than it is.

Aisha an interdimensional alien had a family and could access the powers via bangle because she was full alien, none of her family could unlock the power because they were half humans or more.

Kamala's X-gene allowed the bangle to unlock her power as if she was fully interdimensional.

That's all there is to it

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Hope she survives the experience.

This. I actually laughed when I read the OP. We don't need these stupid little teases for mutants.

And the 90's music bit was so dumb. Every time they do another little silly mutant tease they're gonna drop the 90's X-Men music...

"You have a special gene." * cue 90's X-Men music in the car radio but it's HARD ROCK this time!
"You need to learn to control your power. I might know a professor who can help." * cue 90's X-Men music in the elevator but it's JAZZ this time!
"I was looking through some records and found someone who apparently has a skeleton made of some kind of metal..." - cue 90's X-Men music but it's a busker outside the bar drumming the theme!

Snooooooze.

Yeah good valid criticism.

I'm going to be over here with the hyped people. Hope someone comes and sits by you all so you're not lonely.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Meanwhile

"Marvel doesn't have any iconic or memorable themes except maybe the Avengers theme"

Marvel: *Does the thing FOX refused to do which is recognizing the immense popularity of the 90's theme and exploit it*

"No, not like that"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping Storm makes a surprise appearance in Wakanda Forever.

I feel like there's literally zero point in tethering Storm to Wakanda when T'Challa is dead and gone. That story arc wasn't exactly hugely popular either, so calling back to it would be kind of weird especially without T'Challa around.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Isn't Namor called Marvel's first mutant? There could be more mutant news with Wakanda Forever soon.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Clandestine are extradimensional Noor beings trapped as humans. Kamala is a clandestine/human hybrid and so is Kamran presumably. Kamala has the power to shape the Noor dimension energy thanks to her X-gene. But her X-gene was only unlocked due to the (magic? alien?) bangle that also allows her to travel through time and space. Kamran can shape the energy because his mother moved the Noor portal inside his body, nothing to do with mutants at all. Am I getting all this junk correct?

I'm like 1 and 1/2 episodes in and was enjoying it but I might take a lil break here on this show after reading this LoL

No issues with them changing her to a mutant tho - still wish she was stretchy powers but if the above is any indication there now exists a whole host of explanations for why it's hard lighty energy

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Meanwhile

"Marvel doesn't have any iconic or memorable themes except maybe the Avengers theme"

Marvel: *Does the thing FOX refused to do which is recognizing the immense popularity of the 90's theme and exploit it*

"No, not like that"

Yeah people are complaining about the dumbest shit, Marvel Studios are screwed no matter what they do because there's always a bunch of "fans" that will literally look for anything to get mad about. If it's not right wing chads getting mad about Muslim Women it's dorks getting mad about musical cues and differences to the comics, as if the films somehow erase the authenticity of the comics they own somehow.

Oct 27, 2017
No.

They explicitly state that Thor would be mistakenly called a Djinn should he just suddenly appear in Soutj Asia 100 years ago
but jinn are not this way.

Just because the show thinks jinn are this way doesn't mean it is that way in real life. Jinn are described as so monstrous they are actually hidden so people wouldn't be afraid. People wouldn't just call anything jinn.

At the very least people working on this haven't done their homework.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of the 6 people who actually likes the inhumans (The Characters, not the terrible show)

I understand why it was changed but after MoM, I was hoping for a revisit to the concept of inhumans... Doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon.

Anyway, I can see here that most of you all are happy with the change so I can't be upset, I'm in the minority here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I want more instances of people alluding to or pointing out X-men related stuff and the X-men jingle playing. I want it to be in everything going forward. It's like, so silly but instantly gets me hyped.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic way to undo the Inhumans' split out from the Mutant branch due to rights shenanigans. Now just introduce Lockjaw and we cool.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the 90s theme being brought up is dope. I remember years ago someone made a Marvel Studios intro with an orchestral version, which I thought would be brilliant, but never thought they'd actually do it - particularly outside of the very obviously 90s X-Men inspired Professor X cameo.

View: https://youtu.be/5IaGh6g7Keo

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Totally fine with changing her to a mutant, the whole mutant/inhuman thing always seemed really dumb to me anyway.

But it does make some of the choices this show made totally baffling. Sooo much of the Clandestine/Noor/Djinn stuff clearly seemed to fit into the Inhumans mythos and was building that way, so I was pretty shocked to hear her called a mutant, lol. Good change, but she's got a real weird, convoluted backstory now that seems to have very little to do with where her powers actually come from.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This. I actually laughed when I read the OP. We don't need these stupid little teases for mutants.

And the 90's music bit was so dumb. Every time they do another little silly mutant tease they're gonna drop the 90's X-Men music...

"You have a special gene." * cue 90's X-Men music in the car radio but it's HARD ROCK this time!
"You need to learn to control your power. I might know a professor who can help." * cue 90's X-Men music in the elevator but it's JAZZ this time!
"I was looking through some records and found someone who apparently has a skeleton made of some kind of metal..." - cue 90's X-Men music but it's a busker outside the bar drumming the theme!

Snooooooze.

Snooze, indeed. Doesn't seem like you enjoy fun very much.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yep and the whole hating Rogue thing shouldn't fly. It's actually kind of tiring.

They make the Punisher an Avenger. Magneto and Xavier and Apocalyse work together all the time. Spidey was roommates with one of his villains. Emma Frost was basically married to a man she tried to kill countless times.

Marvel squashes beef so fucking much but lazy shitty writers keep this stupid fucking drama going.

MCU can still do Rogue taking her powers but by the third film after that happens theyll have bunk beds on the SWORD station and share Netflix passwords.
I actually own the trade where Rogue and at the time Ms. Marvel teamed up against a alternate version of Carol named "Warbird" (which she did use in the comics, and was always stupid) was traveling from alternate reality to alternate reality killing Rogues.

And then killing Carols as well since in nearly every reality Carol Danvers does actually forgive her. For a long time she still hates her, but she forgives her. It's a good story actually. Brian Reed did a good job with it.

Carol considers Mystique to be her "Green Goblin" so I guess I always equated that to meaning her main arch-enemy. At least she does when her & Peter go to dinner & he asks who her Norman Osborn is.

Fair. I actually forgot about that. But I'd still consider Minevera or Moonstone more her actual archenemy based on what they have done.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Meanwhile

"No, not like that"
It is a bit hokey (In the BEST way), but I especially appreciate it's use here because it leaves absolutely no room for doubt about what they mean by "mutation"

You just know if it wasn't for that, there'd be people going "Just because she has a mutation doesn't make her a mutant!"

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
My guess:

Mutants have always existed, but activating the x-gene took some outside action.

Now, let's say outside action could be damn near anything, so long as it's tangently related to their power set, or something specifically designed to activate powers in some braid spectrum way. 'Inhumans' in the MCU we're just mutants who's genes were activated by the krees experiments and the mists.

But not every empowered was a mutant, some got their abilities in other ways. After all we have aliens, science accidents, exposure to magic, technology, and even supernatural now all existing in the MCU.

So how do we get mass mutation? Easy: the snap. When banner snapped, he triggered the start of x-gene activation in thousands of people. Over the course of phase 4's remaining films and shows we'll start to show those threads, as well as the inevitable conflict with the public and DofDmg, leading to a registration act and calls for a more robust counter enhanced/empowered force.

That gives us sentinels and so on.

The downside is that potentially makes a justification to make huge numbers of marvel hero's 'mutants' as a retcon, which would cheapen the mutant identity.

Cant wait to see how they handle this.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
My guess:

Mutants have always existed, but activating the x-gene took some outside action.

Now, let's say outside action could be damn near anything, so long as it's tangently related to their power set, or something specifically designed to activate powers in some braid spectrum way. 'Inhumans' in the MCU we're just mutants who's genes were activated by the krees experiments and the mists.

But not every empowered was a mutant, some got their abilities in other ways. After all we have aliens, science accidents, exposure to magic, technology, and even supernatural now all existing in the MCU.

So how do we get mass mutation? Easy: the snap. When banner snapped, he triggered the start of x-gene activation in thousands of people. Over the course of phase 4's remaining films and shows we'll start to show those threads, as well as the inevitable conflict with the public and DofDmg, leading to a registration act and calls for a more robust counter enhanced/empowered force.

The downside is that potentially makes a justification to make huge numbers of marvel hero's 'mutants' as a retcon, which would cheapen the mutant identity.

This is a cool idea because it satisfies that need for connective tissue, but I feel like that just pens them in creatively. Unnecessarily.

'Mutants have always existed' works perfectly fine. Not the first time Marvel has revealed huge parts of their universe casually.

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So instead of being stretchy and an inhuman, she has light powers through the bangle and a mutant. At first I didn't like they were changing her, but after watching the show, I think it all works fine. It's just weird that they decided to change her out of every single hero in the MCU, but its a good change.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
That's hilarious given how they tried to replace mutants with the inhumans in the comics. God damn did the mutants have the laugh.

Cyclops was right.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't watched the episode yet but had this spoiled to high hell because the internet can't give people a second to watch it
But anyway...

As someone who wants the mutants and xmen to be part of the MCU very, very badly, I can't wait to get more of this. It's very fitting that Ms marvel is the reveal, as the inhumans were always terrible imo and she should've been a mutant to begin with. Fuck the gas.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
so she isn't a jinn like people were leaking?

Sounds good if so. Cause having her be a jinn would be very offensive considering she is supposed to represent Muslims.
If she is not a jinn then the whole Aisha story, flashbacks, noor dimension is...sort of irrelevant? I dunno I think they botched the show. I like that she's potentially part of X-Men crew but the whole Jinn angle was garbage and offensive as is.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Hope she survives the experience.

Yeah good valid criticism.

I'm going to be over here with the hyped people. Hope someone comes and sits by you all so you're not lonely.

It's okay, I don't need to join the circle of hype praising Kevin Feige over a (unnecessary) mutant tease with a silly little 90's music zinger that was already done in Dr. Strange and getting upset when someone doesn't like same thing I do. I'm quite fine over here by myself.

I just don't think we need these little teases for the X-Men or mutants; they're so well known you don't need to introduce them so slowly and with little zingers at the end of a Disney+ show. I'm good with Kamala being a mutant; it makes sense and better than being an Inhuman or trying to squeeze them in also, but doing it this way is just lazy and unnecessary.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My guess:

I'm already thinking that's what they're doing and hinted at it in Wandavision. They took the time to say that Wanda's hex was giving off residual cosmic energy that has existed since the big bang. And Monica went into and out of the Hex a total of 3 times. Just like how there were 3 snaps on Earth. I'm thinking that those who survived all 3 snaps might have the potential to unlock powers if they have an X gene.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is Rogue going to show up and drop Carol at the end of The Marvels now? I feel like it could be on the table, it has to happen eventually. Carol needs a perspective check ditching her fam like she does.

No shot they're going to de-power Cap Marvel in only her second film (I don't count Endgame since she was effectively a cameo with like 4-5 minutes screen time).

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
My guess:

Yeah I think it's something like this but certain people like Prof X and Magneto have been finding the ones with the active gene and training them

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If she is not a jinn then the whole Aisha story, flashbacks, noor dimension is...sort of irrelevant? I dunno I think they botched the show. I like that she's potentially part of X-Men crew but the whole Jinn angle was garbage and offensive as is.

And it really undercuts both Kamala's (and most mutant's) experience in the comics when she becomes Inhuman. Suddenly she has these weird polymorph powers. She doesn't know what they are, or how to control them, and is scared. In the show she gets pretty glow powers from her Grandma's bangle. She knows where they power came from, she can kinda control it, and she thinks they're cool. This was a poor and needlessly confusing way to introduce how mutants get their powers in the MCU, and how scary an experience that can be.

Oct 27, 2017
True. She is a jinn anyways from the sounds of it. Apparently everyone that has power is believed to be jinn by people according to the show.

They just can't write some super hero that happen to be muslim like everyone else. She just have to be different. Sigh.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see Peter Dinklage
I can see it.

Peter-Dinklage-as-Wolverine-by-Brandon-Bird..jpg

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I actually own the trade where Rogue and at the time Ms. Marvel teamed up against a alternate version of Carol named "Warbird" (which she did use in the comics, and was always stupid) was traveling from alternate reality to alternate reality killing Rogues.

And then killing Carols as well since in nearly every reality Carol Danvers does actually forgive her. For a long time she still hates her, but she forgives her. It's a good story actually. Brian Reed did a good job with it.

Fair. I actually forgot about that. But I'd still consider Minevera or Moonstone more her actual archenemy based on what they have done.

I have been out of the main books for a few years now and missed that but I kind of wouldn't mind reading it despite the idea of an entire series about how Carol hates rogue so much that she's obsessively hunting her seems a bit against my thoughts on the matter. Could be fun.