• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I hope you're right. This shit needs to stop.

Not sure what you mean. But anyways. The book goes on to expand on how they are focusing on changing Microsoft's culture to be one of collaboration and not competition, of empowerment and not politics, of empathy and not malice, and so on.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
LOL, simply stating the obvious about humanity unfortunately and large groups of them working together. There were indications that Sony HR ignored reports of Naughty Dog sexual harassment when that came up last year.
People are talking about Microsoft and Xbox in this thread because the subject of this specific thread is about issues in Microsoft and the Xbox Division.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Good damn, these articles are astonishing to read. After reading the disgusting Riot Games events, and now this. It literally seems that the whole business culture around America (I know its not just America) is based on sexism, it really is a societal thing. Not just a company, more laws need to be created to stop this abuse and make it less in the grey area, aka 'flirting'.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because your entire post history.

Yes I favor Xbox as my primary platform (I do own a PS4 Pro and Switch also), but I have clearly stated that any issues should be dealt with. I think that you would find a good number of the most concerned folks in this thread have a post history that indicates a favoring of the Sony platform.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Reading back again. I guess I could see how it looks that way.

But I did follow up after saying that it's just not a realistic or effective method. Social media call outs have proven to be far more effective at instigating change.

I agree though there is a personal aspect to boycotts as well. I know it won't make a difference but I refused to buy Kingdom Come Deliverance new because I didn't want the studio to get my money after all the BS over the studio head.

Not sure what you mean. But anyways. The book goes on to expand on how they are focusing on changing Microsoft's culture to be one of collaboration and not competition, of empowerment and not politics, of empathy and not malice, and so on.

Sorry I was referring to the reports of abuse and harassment within MS, that needs to stop.

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yes I favor Xbox as my primary platform (I do own a PS4 Pro and Switch also), but I have clearly stated that any issues should be dealt with. I think that you would find a good number of the most concerned folks in this thread have a post history that indicates a favoring of the Sony platform.

This uh isn't a console war thing

IdodgerI

Oct 31, 2017
England
It is rather amusing to see some of the folks commenting show such concern about things with some veiled console waving in the background. Any time you get thousands of flawed human beings together there are going to be idiots who do terrible things, and they should be dealt with appropriately harshly whether at Microsoft or wherever. For those so "upset" at Xbox possibly having any such crappy behavior in their group of employees, I can't imagine what likely goes on with somewhere like Sony over in Japan when you look at how women are portrayed in Japanese video games.
The irony of this fanboy post and your fanboy history. Just couldn't resist could you.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you should be embarrassed that you're bringing console wars into a very serious human issue. Get a grip. Go outside.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Dude, you're turning this into a console war. You have no shame?

Edit. And you've been banned. Good. No idea why you decided to turn a thread about sexual harassment into console wars.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This isn't about some console war bullshit. No one cares what consumer electronics you own.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue here and every where in the world is that the point of HR isn't to create a great working environment but to make issues go away. Not the fault of HR since companies expect you to do that. They say "no bullying" because that's what people that don't have issues feel safe. This problem isn't just in the work place but in schools as well. It's easy to say no bullying when you don't have an emotional state involved because there aren't any humans to deal with. When we watch movies that deal with this kinds of issues it's easy and quick to chose a side but when you're in their shoes it's a different ball game.
I'm not trying to excuse human behaviour that's wrong but this isn't a simple boycott Microsoft but an issue that needs to be fixed globally, not just from an outside perspective as that's what HR will do but something that shouldn't be an issue in the future but that seems like an impossible task that businesses won't put into much effort to resolve.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Wtf I thought this was about female employees when they play on Xbox Live, but in the workplace? Big fucking yikes.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
this sucks

i've gotten this vibe from xbox due to certain remarks said on stage sometimes during their e3 conferences, and also certain stunts they've pulled, like that gdc party with "erotic schoolgirl" dancers they hosted a few years ago

but it's likely not unique to xbox. it's probably everywhere in this male-dominated inudstry, unfortunately

good to see that people are speaking out.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Wow, that's just awful. Satya Nadella needs to make some changes. Changes are WAYYYY overdue at Xbox.

Make Xbox great.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they need to clean house over there. Reading through the article I fail to see how any of that should be acceptable behavior. If this has been getting swept under the rug (for what sounds like years) heads need to roll.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Are they any woman in any top jobs in MS gaming? When i think of Xbox i think of the two dudes

Bonnie Ross is head of 343
Shannon Loftis is head of 3rd party publishing (or something along those lines I think)
Even our own matimeo is fairly prominent at MS

This + Some more prominent devs in top positions are Helen Chiang from Mojang/Minecraft and also Nina Kristensen who is pretty much the head of Ninja Theory. Ashley Speicher is also GM of Xbox Game Pass.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Just nuke gaming companies at this point, Xbox with their shit ,Sony with all of their shit and Nintendo with...well probably slave labor but whatevs..sick of it all. Sony and especially microsoft should know better!

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I've worked for HR for years and I've never seen such incompetence from an HR Dept at a company. Wtf.

HR is not on your side. HR is not your friend. HR is not there to protect you.

People still don't get this?

I work for HR man. Chill out. From the experiences I've had, we always watch out for others and investigate and make decisions based on what's in front of us.

I've dealt with investigations of sexual harassment, particularly where dudes think it's fine or a normal thing but we just fire their asses for it.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I was just talking to a woman at work about the experiences she has had with guys there. A lot of creepy shit for sure. That said I'd like to meet the woman not called a bitch. She has to be pretty f****** awesome ; )

Feb 10, 2018
User warned: Whataboutism, Console Warring and Thread derailing.
Are they any woman in any top jobs in MS gaming? When i think of Xbox i think of the two dudes

Theres more at xbox then there competition, there's been several women on the E3 stage for xbox.
I don't think there has ever been women in leadership positions on a PlayStation E3 stage.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I was harassed constantly by a co-worker at my old company. I finally went to HR to complain. I was laid off the next day.

Sorry that happened to you. It's a story that's all too common from people who go to HR seeking help. They don't have a care in the world for actually resolving your problem, just how to best protect the company.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
What a bizzare comparison to make in a thread like this.
He answered a question, which is correct. There is a lot of top level women within Xbox, many of which are publicly shown on stage. They just had an Inside Xbox celebrating women.

It of course sucks to hear about all of this, but im sure they will get it sorted out and find the person(s) involved in these cases. Microsoft is a well respected company, and Im sure they will sort this stuff out. Its also a very big company, so i dont find it hard to believe situations like this will occur. Now that the right person has heard, they can figure out how to best deal with it.

The truth is, I think this type of thing is much more common than we realize among most companies. We just dont usually hear about it publicly. We can always try to better the future, and its something we need to work on across the world, which is treating everybody equally, whether that be gender, race, or religion.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Theres more at xbox then there competition, there's been several women on the E3 stage for xbox.
I don't think there has ever been women in leadership positions on a PlayStation E3 stage.
Sony's E3s are usually a 1-2 man show, so E3 stages are not the best barometer.

Shannon Sudstill leads one of the biggest studios they have (Sony Santa Monica), just like Bonnie Ross heads up 343. Just because Bonnie is on stage doesn't make her or any other women at Xbox any more or less subject to harassment.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Of all the threads to start console warring

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying it is, but this looks extremely easy to fake, plus that transaction id number is cut off.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cmte=C00227546&cycle=2018

This list says they gave Byrne $2,000. It's probably true. In recent years big corps. like Google and MS have set up offices in places like DC and are paying politicians on both sides so no matter who's in power it won't fuck up their interests.

https://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/technology-culture-politics-112190

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Not saying it is, but this looks extremely easy to fake, plus that transaction id number is cut off.

It's not a fake. This was retweeted by an association of Microsoft employees who were united to fight against its decision of developing weapons for the US Army.

Thanks to their actions, they were able to make this story visible in news sites like Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...p-450-million-u-s-army-contract-idUSKCN1QB2LV

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a good look for MS nor the Xbox brand considering there dudebro shenanigan of last gen. I have confident that Phil will fix this up though.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Quick! Someone put out a press release/E3 speech about how Microsoft values diversity and women! Aka the preferred strategy for the last few years instead of actually dealing with this toxic bullshit.

Edit: Also Microsoft has been doing business with ICE for a while so you can pick other equally problematic things to choose from if one doesn't happen to be true.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ecumenical, highly recommend you delete that. Take care of yourself, be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.