• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft_adaptive_accessories_1_JPEG.0.jpg

Microsoft_adaptive_accessories_2.jpg

www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s Adaptive Accessories are designed to be customizable inputs

They’re designed to fit with 3D-printed add-ons.

Last edited:

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing. Everyone should be able to play games

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is great to hear! The customizability is a great feature because now people can have a controller that is well suited to them.

The adaptive buttons let you add eight programmable inputs to your computer. That doesn't mean you have to have eight physical buttons, though — the company showed a version with just two large, easy-to-press buttons. But because the mouse can also be used as, say, a joystick or as an eight-way D-pad, Microsoft says you can set the inputs to act as macros or complicated keyboard shortcuts, which could be difficult to execute for those with motor disabilities. And as with the mouse itself, you can also add 3D-printed toppers or accessories to the buttons to make them fit your specific needs.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Brilliant. Love it supporting 3D printed things, paves the way for everyone to have exactly what they need. MS still killing it when it comes to this stuff.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome, Microsoft has been doing such great work for making games more accessible to everyone.

I've been looking into whether these adaptive devices can be used on PCs/Macs/iPads/etc, and used as alternative inputs. Someone made a thread a month or two ago about how difficult it was for their visually impaired parent to use a computer, even with some of the accessibility settings turned on there was a blocker there. Biggest issue was things like zoom and magnifyer, which are easy to use once you have them setup, but things like hot keys and key combos are difficult to do to turn them on. I started looking into whether the previous MS assistive devices could be used as generic keyboard add-ons, sort of like using a numpad, a video controller for records/content creators, etc. For instance, using one of the rockers to map that input to a "Maginifyer On" shortcut, followed by using the analog rocker pad for moving the magnifyer. I got stuck and shelved it, but I'm interested in these.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Looks like it supports the same accessories their adaptive controller does too (via the 3.5mm jacks).

Even for those without disabilities you could probably make a real wacky input scheme.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I have a sister with CP and only use of her left arm. I come from a big family and we were always gaming together, but this one sister could pretty much never join us. That changed when the Wii came along and motion controls, there were a bunch of games she could then play with everyone. Seeing things like this brings such joy to my heart, its awesome.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a disabled person with severe arthritis, you have my full attention, Microsoft.

I'm very interested in the adaptive mouse especially.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
That's really awesome.

If I knew these little bits weren't going to be so expensive, which they absolutely are gonna be, I'd buy the D-Pad accessory to use as a little fidget toy.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing to see Microsoft lead on hardware for people with disabilities.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I dont have a disabilty. But i am still eye that raised mouse. That looks comfy.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome! Have they ever released videos into their accessibility department and how they do things? I've always been interested in that stuff.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I really have the utmost respect for Microsoft when it comes to this. They have repeatedly put real effort and enthusiasm into these projects and the results seem really incredible. As this becomes more and more of a market segment I'd really love to hear reviews from disabled players who make use of these peripherals.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really have the utmost respect for Microsoft when it comes to this. They have repeatedly put real effort and enthusiasm into these projects and the results seem really incredible. As this becomes more and more of a market segment I'd really love to hear reviews from disabled players who make use of these peripherals.
Really changed after Nadella took over. He also had a son with cerebral palsy. His son passed away in Feb.

here he talks about it

economictimes.indiatimes.com

Zain’s birth was a turning point in Satya Nadella's life; tech boss says his son taught him empathy, influenced Microsoft's vision of 'accessibility'

On many occasions in the past, Nadella had fondly spoken about his son and how being a father of a kid with special needs transformed him.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
New vids from MS themself. With the new Inclusive tech lab location

Nice will be watching these later. In that previous vid you posted I was really impressed with how you can even get like a little blocker between mouse buttons that can help people with cerebral palsy keep their fingers from slipping.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Microsoft has gone above and beyond with this stuff. More than I'd ever expect a trillion dollar company like them to actually do honestly.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
That is really awesome. The adaptive controller was already something great, and I'm really happy seeing those things. I'm super interested in seeing reviews of those items from people that those devices should solve/help and from those that aren't still being addressed.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
You love to see it.

I hope they can keep the cost down and, dare I say it, durability needs to be high.

I hope it drives their competition to start doing more too, it'll be good for everyone.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Can I just say with zero irony or disrespect intended I LOVE how they show an amputee's limb right there in the ad. Very beautiful.