• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes they are. Sonic is already big with merchandising, and most recently film with a very successful movie adaption. If we got a big budget Sonic game out of this purchase than MS are heroes. Lord knows how many years we have seen SEGA fall on their faces even aiming to make a mediocre Sonic game with a shoestring budget. But if you'd rather keep playing 3D Sonics in the poor state they are in just so they can be on your platform of choice rather than a good one on a single platform, then you do you.

I just don't play the shitty 3d sonics. Which is all of them since, what, generations?

I said it's not worth sacrificing every other gaming i.p. sega, which includes all of atlus, has for a small chance at a half decent 3d sonic game. I don't think budget is even the problem for sonic.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Nah, We don't even know how long the exclusivity is, or if Xbox would have been in any position to even get them on their platform afterwards. FF7R is still not confirmed for Xbox even though its yesterdays news. I don't want to wait 12 months. Might aswell make it a full exclusive at that point.

It's absolutely baffling how people think MS bolstering their FP is worse than Sony trying to starve MS out by paying off publishers.
If you don't have the patience to wait, it definitely doesn't mean that no one else has or that it makes these situations similar. FF7R isn't confirmed yet because that's how timed exclusives work. You don't announce it to other platforms until the contractual period is over. Many insiders have already said that the exclusivity period seems to be 1 year, and I don't know if there's ever been any longer timed exclusives than that. Either way, FF7R will be available to everyone who owns XSX. Starfield or ES6 might never be available to PS5 gamers, no matter how long you wait.

Waiting 12 months or having the game as full exclusive is an absolutely massive difference to an overwhelming majority of the user base, as there's just loads and loads of folks who do not buy games when they release, and it's not like there isn't a buttload of other stuff to play in the meantime if they do. You're stating things as facts based on your personal buying habits alone. People still get to play those games, it isn't that big of a deal. It isn't about whether Xbox "is in a position" to get them and this doesn't mean anything. Of course developers want to release the games to a larger consumer base when the exclusive period is over. There's nothing stopping them.

Consolidation and acquisition of third party publishers and developers just isn't a good thing for the consumers, because there's bound to be some drawbacks for basically everyone when others now feel the need to start an arms race because MS bought Zenimax. It's a massive change in the industry, this will absolutely happen and an insider like Matt basically confirmed it already. You say now that it's great, but what about then when in like two to three years Google, Facebook, Apple or Sony go out and buy some big third party publisher or developer and you can't play those games on XSX anymore ever. Wouldn't it then have been better if MS would've used that 7.5B to bolster its existing XGS studios and you'd still have access to other big third party games? While MS needed this in order to stay in the game, an acquisition like this sucks for consumers in the long run, there's no other way around it.
I actually think this is the least impactful time to do this. MS has stated they will follow through on the previous PS5 agreements; and nobody currently owns a PS5. You could theoretically cancel your pre-order, or pick up an Xbox Series later today in addition. This isn't a case of someone has already invested in PS5 ecosystem and learns this information. A person can re-evaluate their next gen decision with this information with nothing lost.
Absolutely. But still like we know perfectly well, start of a new gen is the best time to make some drastic moves because of the snowball effect. This of course goes for both Sony and MS, but this was definitely the best time for MS to announce the acquisition.

ActusReusJB

Dec 23, 2017
You say now that it's great, but what about then when in like two to three years Google, Facebook, Apple or Sony go out and buy some big third party publisher or developer and you can't play those games on XSX anymore ever.

This is a good point. This forum is so Sony v Microsoft focused that lens clouds everything. Sony is so much smaller they can't play an arms race with MS. But perhaps if Apple or Google decide to really get serious...then this precedence could be a bad thing, if the goal was to keep it to the "big" 3. One huge advantage Microsoft had in this situation is that ZeniMax/Bethesda were private. Any public companies require way more effort to get, and would allow others to potentially outbid.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
If you don't have the patience to wait, it definitely doesn't mean that no one else has or that it makes these situations similar. FF7R isn't confirmed yet because that's how timed exclusives work. You don't announce it to other platforms until the contractual period is over. Many insiders have already said that the exclusivity period seems to be 1 year, and I don't know if there's ever been any longer timed exclusives than that. Either way, FF7R will be available to everyone who owns XSX. Starfield or ES6 might never be available to PS5 gamers, no matter how long you wait.

Waiting 12 months or having the game as full exclusive is an absolutely massive difference to an overwhelming majority of the user base, as there's just loads and loads of folks who do not buy games when they release, and it's not like there isn't a buttload of other stuff to play in the meantime if they do. You're stating things as facts based on your personal buying habits alone. People still get to play those games, it isn't that big of a deal. It isn't about whether Xbox "is in a position" to get them and this doesn't mean anything. Of course developers want to release the games to a larger consumer base when the exclusive period is over. There's nothing stopping them.

And what happens once Sony gets 12 months of exclusives on huge third parties while not making a single peep about the status of Xbox versions? Xbox will be in an even tougher position. Those games will be full exclusives in all but the name. And 12 months later, Xbox will get Sonys sloppy seconds while Sony sets their eyes on another third party title.

Consolidation and acquisition of third party publishers and developers just isn't a good thing for the consumers, because there's bound to be some drawbacks for basically everyone when others now feel the need to start an arms race because MS bought Zenimax. It's a massive change in the industry, this will absolutely happen and an insider like Matt basically confirmed it already. You say now that it's great, but what about then when in like two to three years Google, Facebook, Apple or Sony go out and buy some big third party publisher or developer and you can't play those games on XSX anymore ever. Wouldn't it then have been better if MS would've used that 7.5B to bolster its existing XGS studios and you'd still have access to other big third party games? While MS needed this in order to stay in the game, an acquisition like this sucks for consumers in the long run, there's no other way around it.

lol come on now, they couldn't have done shit with the 7.5B. They did open new studios but it takes way more time to get them going as opposed to buying them up.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be Sega.

On the other hand, I won't necessarily be surprised if one of the platform holders acquires or at least buys a big chunk of Sega sometime during the coming gen.

Jul 10, 2020
It'll be either Asobo & DontNod
OR
Asobo and another company like:
Playful (Makers of Super Lucky's Tale) are in a SUPER rough spot right now, and Microsoft could use a family friendly company for Banjo Redooie and other family friend 3d platformers.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be either Asobo & DontNod
OR
Asobo and another company like:
Playful (Makers of Super Lucky's Tale) are in a SUPER rough spot right now, and Microsoft could use a family friendly company for Banjo Redooie and other family friend 3d platformers.
DONTNOD is publicly traded so if the purchase already happened it can't be them.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Japanese devs in general seems unlikely since they're protected by laws against hostile takeover and i can't imagine a dev there willing to be bought by a company not exactly liked by japanese people.

I think MS could create japanese studios instead of buy them.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I could see them eventually absorbing Asobo, assuming Asobo were amenable to it of course. They are planning to work on Flight Sim for a decade, and there was already a pretty close relationship there.

There were also rumours of the small Polish studio whose name I can't remember. Something with a number in it.

Joo

May 25, 2018
This is a good point. This forum is so Sony v Microsoft focused that lens clouds everything. Sony is so much smaller they can't play an arms race with MS. But perhaps if Apple or Google decide to really get serious...then this precedence could be a bad thing, if the goal was to keep it to the "big" 3. One huge advantage Microsoft had in this situation is that ZeniMax/Bethesda were private. Any public companies require way more effort to get, and would allow others to potentially outbid.
While Sony can't outbid MS, they are still in no way a small or poor company. Sony will definitely take part in the consolidation and will probably buy some developers sometime in the future. Still, like you said Apple and Google are much more worrying, as both are very eager to enter gaming business in a major way. We have to remember that MS basically bought almost every one of these developers in only two years.
And what happens once Sony gets 12 months of exclusives on huge third parties while not making a single peep about the status of Xbox versions? Xbox will be in an even tougher position. Those games will be full exclusives in all but the name. And 12 months later, Xbox will get Sonys sloppy seconds while Sony sets their eyes on another third party title.

lol come on now, they couldn't have done shit with the 7.5B. They did open new studios but it takes way more time to get them going as opposed to buying them up.
Of course MS needs to have an answer and they could've easily gotten timed exclusives if they're ready to pay 7.5B for Zeni. Don't just go saying that the stuff MS does is somehow similar to a timed exclusive. It just isn't, and you can't change the fact. If all Bethesda games would now be 100% timed exclusives, we wouldn't have even 1% of all of this complaining here.

You don't seem to grasp how much 7.5B is. Fallout's lifetime revenue for the whole franchise since 1997 is an estimated 1.6B. 7.5B would've done wonders to really grow the existing studios to multiple team and projects, and buy a couple smaller ones. That wouldn't have been so cumbersome as starting new studios. You could fund 75 AAA games with a sum like that. That's more than it's even possible to put out in one generation. Now that money just went to shareholders and majority of Bethesda games' user base is locked out.

I know that this was absolutely the fastest way for MS to gain some ground, get some good IP's and was the best decision for them as a company, but it definitely wasn't the best decision from a customer's point of view in the long run. Without the acquisition all of those games would've still been available on Xbox. We'll definitely see the ramifications of this in a couple of years.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I could see them eventually absorbing Asobo, assuming Asobo were amenable to it of course. They are planning to work on Flight Sim for a decade, and there was already a pretty close relationship there.

There were also rumours of the small Polish studio whose name I can't remember. Something with a number in it.

The Farm 51?

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
The law thing is at least true.

It encompasses the bigger video game companies, although smaller studios seem to be fair game.

I googled and someone on quora had written this:

There may be restrictions for particular industries or other special cases, but in general there is no problem. I sold a Japanese company to an American publicly listed company, and there were top-notch legal teams on both sides of the transaction. They never mentioned any problem with it.

source:
www.quora.com

Can non-Japanese companies buy a Japanese company?

Answer (1 of 5): Yes. The company I work at was originally started and privately owned here in Japan, but it was eventually bought out by an international company in the same field. Our day to day operations are handled primarily by our official employees, though we have a lot of oversight from ...

I don't know, perhaps it is not complicated?
A company like Microsoft could make it work one would assume..

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

source:
www.quora.com

Answer (1 of 5): Yes. The company I work at was originally started and privately owned here in Japan, but it was eventually bought out by an international company in the same field. Our day to day operations are handled primarily by our official employees, though we have a lot of oversight from ...

I think these laws just mean that MS can't do a Vivendi on Japanese companies, not that they can't be bought at all.

Regardless, Sega is owned by Sammy, which is a pretty big company itself. Maybe not a big as Zenimax/Bethesda entire stuff, but definitely big.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

source:
www.quora.com

It was posted a few pages back that there's a recent law that makes it more difficult for foreign buyers to acquire certain companies, including SEGA-Sammy:

There was a law introduced a few months back with a list of protected companies which includes Sony Corp that makes it harder for foreign entities to acquire Japanese ones. Probably doesn't make it impossible, but makes it harder.

www.reuters.com

Japan tightens rules on foreign stakes in 518 firms, citing national security

Japan announced on Friday a list of its firms subject to tighter foreign ownership rules, including majors such as Toyota Motor Corp <7203.T> and Sony Corp <6758.T>, as the United States and Europe step up scrutiny of industries key to national security.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
Theoretically it would make a lot of sense to acquire a big Japanese publisher/studio like the Sega rumours. They need to build up a bigger presence in Japan, and access to some good exclusive Japanese games would also help them with some of the nicher markets in the west.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Spiderman isn't a fair comparison. With that Xbox gamers were paying the same amount for the game as PS owners but got less. These acquisitions are different it like saying Sony are anti-consumer buying Insomniac because now Xbox gamers won't be able to play the Sunset Overdrive sequel after the first one being on Xbox.
It's nowhere near the same. Exclusive content has been a thing since like forever. You still get to play the game and 99.9 % of the game content is exactly the same.

Again, buying studios which historically have tended to work with a certain publisher is also natural. Buying a publisher and excluding a lot of users from, what were til now, 3rd party games is a shitty practice. Sony's retailiation won't feel good either. This isn't good at all.

I wanted 3rd party content to mostly remain the same, with MS building upon their recently required developers. Now 3rd party content might turn into 1st party... I'm simpy not a fan. No one but MS wins with this. Same goes for Sont whenever they decide to counter.