• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be glad if the PS5 plays most PS4 games, but I would really like PS3 support as well. I had a pretty sizeable digital collection that basically died at the end of last generation, and I'd like to play those games again on newer hardware if possible.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
......how......

"We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5."
That's a belief not stating a fact. They could very easily only have a few hundred or less validated at launch. Fact is, we only know what they've said, and right now it's that they are in the hundreds, not thousands.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So both are in the same position and both Sony and MS plan to have thousands of current gen games playable at launch. Happy days for everybody!

So MS can confirm thousands of games will be playable at launch whereas Sony are preparing to test thousands of games and will provide further updates in the coming months.

Don't think it's a surprise to anyone that MS is ahead in this area.

*Facepalm*

You'd make a great politician with that spin.

Both MS and Sony are going through testing games to make sure as many as possible are ready for launch day.

Can those people be banned for not reading and derailing another next gen thread. I'm tired of this.

This. I'm too old for childish console wars.

OP
OP
orochi91

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Thank You OP for providing the truth. Some people tried to make fetch happen.
After having a mini-meltdown over Sony's BC message the other day, I'm super happy they addressed it today.

48hrs gap between the meeting and clarification is much more palatable than the several months I thought we'd have to wait for the next update.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I read that as them testing 1000s with the PS5 boost mode and that they would function otherwise in legacy mode, i.e. just as they do now.

The 100 titles was a demonstration of titles using the Boost mode.

People are being incredibly miopic about this.
To be fair, if you don't know about the github tests, the legacy mode and native modes don't make much sense.

But it's their fault for not listening when we're explaining it.

Oct 25, 2017
I am so out of the loop on this. Life is hectic to say the least. What's the "top 100" thing?
Basically the blog was badly worded a bunch of outlets said only the top 100 ps4 games would be available on ps5 at launch. Sony waited two days to finally correct that, Microsoft said all and had to correct that as well so in conclusion

Ps5-thousands of ps4 games available at launch with more to come(no mention of ps1-3 and don't hold ya breath at launch )

xbsx- Thousands of Xbox one games as well as the already available Xbox and Xbox 360 games that run on Xbox one and more to come

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I am so out of the loop on this. Life is hectic to say the least. What's the "top 100" thing?
Some blogs saw the ps blog statement, thinking it says 100 explicitly as a hard number and went With it, then sony Clarifies and people still can't grasp that what Cerny originally said was that sony has BC for titles but no company is stupid enough to say ALL games work no problem and be opened up for a lawsuit. Now we have people nitpicking to how things are said vs what is the fact. The PS5 is BC to PS4.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Seriously people, WTF, MS PR has made it clear that there BC is wayyyyyyyy ahead compared to Sony. Are we going to ask then next what the average hrs/game they're doing the testing?? I still don't believe Sony will have full BC on PS4 at launch compared to MS. I guess BC is now considerd part of the console wars.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously people, WTF, MS PR has made it clear that there BC is wayyyyyyyy ahead compared to Sony. Are we going to ask then next what the average hrs/game they're doing the testing?? I still don't believe Sony will have full BC on PS4 at launch compared to MS. I guess BC is now considerd part of the console wars.
You really not getting the point here at all.

Oct 28, 2017
Thousands available at launch for Xbox. Thousands will be tested and eventually available for PS5 or at launch? Sony still with confusing messaging by leaving out timeframe.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So both will have tested thousands of titles by launch and are looking to have most of those playable by launch. Shocking!

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
MS has the pedigree here to come through with BC.

I expect Sony to deliver lots of BC games by launch as well.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, this isn't surprising, but it's good to see Sony clarify their backwards compatibility stance as well as Xbox clarify that they don't mean full compatibility at launch.

I feel like Xbox will have more games at launch as well as get everything within the first year (using the general public to report issues and fix as they come up) and PlayStation will likely do the same but on a slower and more piecemeal basis. I also dislike their statement about developers needing to fix the issues, that just screams them not caring

OP
OP
orochi91

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Thousands available at launch for Xbox. Thousands will be tested and eventually available for PS5 or at launch? Sony still with confusing messaging by leaving out timeframe.
We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead.

Should hear more about this in the coming months.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
This is literally no different then when Sony covered their butts with PlayStation 4's boost mode and PSN name changes. They've been very clear each time things are in testing and there were no guarantees, but now they're "problems" that we don't even consider anymore because 99% of games work with PS4 boost mode and 99% of games had no issue with PSN name changes. Console warriors gotta find some better straws to grasp.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
So MS can confirm thousands of games will be playable at launch whereas Sony are preparing to test thousands of games and will provide further updates in the coming months.

Don't think it's a surprise to anyone that MS is ahead in this area.

You guys are seriously comparing both similar statements? Not everything has to be a stan war, seriously. It's clear both are doing the same

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I understood Cerny's talk about the top 100 games as something like "Yeah, the most wanted games/your favorite games are going to work, we focused this instead of Life of Black Tiger"

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Cerny talked about "the top 100" PS4 games running on PS5 in a way that it sounded like they will only roll out 100 games on PS5's BC initiative at launch.

However the new statements say otherwise.
Basically the blog was badly worded a bunch of outlets said only the top 100 ps4 games would be available on ps5 at launch. Sony waited two days to finally correct that, Microsoft said all and had to correct that as well so in conclusion

Ps5-thousands of ps4 games available at launch with more to come(no mention of ps1-3 and don't hold ya breath at launch )

xbsx- Thousands of Xbox one games as well as the already available Xbox and Xbox 360 games that run on Xbox one and more to come
Some blogs saw the ps blog statement, thinking it says 100 explicitly as a hard number and went With it, then sony Clarifies and people still can't grasp that what Cerny originally said was that sony has BC for titles but no company is stupid enough to say ALL games work no problem and be opened up for a lawsuit. Now we have people nitpicking to how things are said vs what is the fact. The PS5 is BC to PS4.
Thanks y'all.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's more like console warriors are looking for something to put another checkmark in the large spec sheets they hug at night.

It probably is this. People are being too exceedingly obtuse about it all for it to be anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if when Sony later clarify with the word "launch" closer to release, some find another semantic goalpost to latch onto for the war.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a fun couple of months ahead when every single word in their press releases could possible be twisted and turned to fit peoples agenda.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a fun couple of months ahead when every single word in their press releases could possible be twisted and turned to fit peoples agenda.
Sadly, I don't even know why the threads on Series X were even a thing. They were just bad takes.

Glad Sony clarified, because that was confusing af.

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
People shouldn't worry about BC, the only game that won't work properly will be Bloodborne.