• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I think Sony is going to have a tough time getting out from under that "top 100" messaging that was put out. People latched on to that pretty hard.
Launch is still ways off and the big events for both MS and Sony are still ahead. After the real reveal events is when the marketing and reportage will truly kick off and before those I don't know if the audience is really that widespread.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
All this dishonest posting from some people reminds me an advice once I got from a teacher: "Reading is hard, for those that doesn't like what they're reading"

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still want Sony to say they'll have thousands playable at launch as well. Why won't they just say that?
Same reason they gave pretty stern warnings that name changes could cause serious issues, but in the end didn't. You can't test for everything in a development environment. There are untestable variables in an end user environment and giving definitive statements both leaves them legally vulnerable to lawsuits for false advertising and is just uncouth.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone who was actually paying attention thought the result of last-gen back compat would be dramatically different - they will obviously never explicitly say 100% compatibility but it was always incredibly likely it would be almost entirely so by the end of it all, the only reason this discussion has continued to go on is because Sony's approach to talking about the PS5 weirdly releasing only morsels of information at a time confuses people who don't know any better, like mainstream news outlets and people who only read headlines.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Sony and MS are saying the same thing (except MS has also committed to 360 and OG Xbox, good for them). Stop picking apart every letter in every word in every sentence.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Microsoft is smart. They initially said all Xbox One games. Then slightly amended that when pressed.

Now console warrior weirdos are gonna run with the fud that all Xbone games BC while only a small fraction of PS4 are BC

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Wait, some people were really thinking that they put games on XBL/PSN without testing, "as is", just because they made emulator?
Emulation is always tricky, and consoles are not PCs, any error/crash will be unacceptable. Of course they need to test the whole library. And there's possibility that some games even won't work properly on next-gen hardware.

OP
OP
orochi91

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Microsoft is smart. They initially said all Xbox One games. Then slightly amended that when pressed.

Now console warrior weirdos are gonna run with the fud that all Xbone games BC while only a small fraction of PS4 are BC
I highly recommend you point people to this thread if they spout that talking point again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be funny seeing the fanboys spin them both pretty much saying the same thing into a good and bad. Already off to a good start too.

The only thing you can kinda reach for is MS are further along with their testing, but that's not too surprising.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I find it hilarious that both companies have to twist so many words just to not be liable to get sued.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Because they still haven't tested thousands at this point.
To cover their asses prob
Same reason they gave pretty stern warnings that name changes could cause serious issues, but in the end didn't. You can't test for everything in a development environment. There are untestable variables in an end user environment and giving definitive statements both leaves them legally vulnerable to lawsuits for false advertising and is just uncouth.
Well, how about that its their aim to have 4000+ games playable at launch. So far they've just expressed its their aim to have 4000+ games playable, but never said "at launch".

It was the number at launch that was the issue, and honestly this statement doesn't really do anything to address that and just reinforces that they want to have a majority of PS4 games playable on PS5 which we already knew.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Those bc threads have been providing a nice distraction from COVID-19 news. Been eating popcorn since yesterday

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Sony has some work cut out for them because MS has proven themselves in the BP realm this gen. Legally of course they aren't going to say "all". As someone with both consoles it's not hard to compare both company's recent history with backwards compatibility. Xbox 360 games I can throw in my Xbone and play are usually delegated to PSNow on my PS4. I hope Sony tries to implement ps1-3 in the future but the cynic in me thinks they don't want to risk that sweet PSNow revenue.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
BOTH ARE SAYING THE EXACT SAME SHIT
we-have-met.gif

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, some people were really thinking that they put games on XBL/PSN without testing, "as is", just because they made emulator?
Emulation is always tricky, and consoles are not PCs, any error/crash will be unacceptable. Of course they need to test the whole library. And there's possibility that some games even won't work properly on next-gen hardware.
We have people who want these companies to explicitly state that ALL games and 100% of them will work guaranteed.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
If I were to guess, Xbox Series X will likely not support Kinect titles but pretty much everything else. We'll see.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This whole discussion feels too nitpicky for me. Everyone hanging on a word to try and squeeze out an advantage.

Sony said overwhelming majority of 4000, which mean thousands. MS said thousands. Seems like the same damn statement from both sides to me.

Hanging on the "at launch" feels like trying too hard to find a difference where there isn't one. Thats needlessly nitpicky to demand they both use the exact same verbiage. They got their points across. We should reaaalllllly let this go. It wasnt a big deal to begin with tbh.

Lets go back to arguing over a teraflop vs ssd speed or something.

gzfFBQ6.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I find it hilarious that both companies have to twist so many words just to not be liable to get sued.
I don't think it's just that.

I think it's trying to reconcile that with also boasting about their upcoming platforms.

But I think either company could have found a more elegant way to satisfy both goals.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This is so funny .
Either way it's the same for both MS and Sony most games will work but the won't say 100%.
Saying that mean they can get sue if one game has a problem.