• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I like how MS is going head to head with the PS giant... competition is good and will benefit us, the consumers!

Looking forward seeing comparison videos with next gen games and what this all means in performance

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting that Sony has ps5 devkits out to devs a lot earlier than Microsoft did, to the point that initial game demos were further along on ps5. Could it be that they had access to silicon earlier, and ms waited?

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
RDNA2 has Sample Feedback. Only Xbox has Sample Feedback Streaming - it's a custom addition on the next gen Xboxs.
I could definitely be wrong, but isn't Sampler Feedback Streaming something you do with the Sampler Feedback feature.

Like MS has an devblog on how you can use Sampler Feedback to optimise streaming by improving mipmap usage and stuff.

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Just depends on if Sony has custom tech to replace the missing features or not. If they do (which some people claim but Sony hasn't commented on) then likely it's wash and Microsoft is just promoting their partnership like every company ever does. If Sony does not then it just means it's easier to extract performance from the Series X which will help the gpu even more and help the ssd in trying to catch up. The real answer of course is probably somewhere in the middle of both options and players will be happy regardless of which console they buy. This type of info is for the digital foundry's of the world not for people who just want Halo or Spider-Man.
I get what you're saying. In this case it's best to wait for some additional info before making definitive statements.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
If they say full feature set, does that include infinity cache?
I saw some people claiming that not based on the SOC, honestly I have no idea.
gpu-xbox-series-x.jpg

Claydol

Jan 10, 2018
Rome
Sounds like AMD's DLSS-alternative (which has been referred to as Super Resolution) will be Xbox and PC exclusive. If true, this would create a MASSIVE performance gap between XSX and PS5. Hard to believe Sony would give away all this performance when they could see the huge gains provided by DLSS.
If this is the case I think this would be the end between sony and AMD.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
It's interesting that Sony has ps5 devkits out to devs a lot earlier than Microsoft did, to the point that initial game demos were further along on ps5. Could it be that they had access to silicon earlier, and ms waited?
I read that a lot in this thread, is there any source for this? Phil Spencer had the console in December last year, is this considered late?
Phil.png

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
My hunch here on this is that XSX and XSS have a more complete programmable Front end with mesh shaders (vs. the older primitive shader type), the Hardware VRS, and the technical hw required for the next Version of tiled resources, which is called Sampler Feedback. And I think, without saying positviely for certain, that that is why MS was so keen to make those features so prominent in their pre-release Material in the Xbox Series X. It was their hardware Feature advantage, they knew it, so they advertised it - just like how they advertised stable clocks as a thing even before Sony described the dynamic clocks to the public.

Will these advantages of a complete RDNA2 vs the PS5 GPU half way point matter? Probably.
By a lot? Meh. Let us wait for the games. And for the games over time. I think the raw flop and bandwidth will matter the most at first though as the other Features, should they prove limited to just XSX and XSS, require dedicated peogramming time to take advantage of. And multiplatform games do not always spend the resources to do that even. Unlike a faster GPU, which is just faster.

Thanks Alex, very useful insight as always. Will DF be covering the amd keynote at some point?

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
My hunch here on this is that XSX and XSS have a more complete programmable Front end with mesh shaders (vs. the older primitive shader type), the Hardware VRS, and the technical hw required for the next Version of tiled resources, which is called Sampler Feedback. And I think, without saying positviely for certain, that that is why MS was so keen to make those features so prominent in their pre-release Material in the Xbox Series X. It was their hardware Feature advantage, they knew it, so they advertised it - just like how they advertised stable clocks as a thing even before Sony described the dynamic clocks to the public.

Will these advantages of a complete RDNA2 vs the PS5 GPU half way point matter? Probably.
By a lot? Meh. Let us wait for the games. And for the games over time. I think the raw flop and bandwidth will matter the most at first though as the other Features, should they prove limited to just XSX and XSS, require dedicated peogramming time to take advantage of. And multiplatform games do not always spend the resources to do that even. Unlike a faster GPU, which is just faster.

excited to see the tech in use on XSX

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
MS

"In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture."
excited to see the tech in use on XSX

interesting times ahead.

I read that a lot in this thread, is there any source for this? Phil Spencer had the console in December last year, is this considered late?
Phil.png
bringing it home doesn't necessarily mean he had the final unit. we have Jason Schreier and others who claimed MS was behind Sony in getting dev kits out and iirc DF made similar claims and now we probably know why.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Probably something like this. Otherwise, why not highlight the features missing on PS5?

I remember the simpler times when the omission of RT on retail series x packaging meant MS were hiding stuff. Ahhh those were the days. 😜

be interesting to see if this has any real tangible difference going forward but it at least dispels some of the more "out there" concern threads we have seen recently

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
He also backtracked on those comments saying people misunderstood him
He reiterated it but with spin from Sony because he got in trouble, saying that microarchitecture generations aren't real and that Sony added to it, but then said it's still missing a feature from RDNA2. He didn't specify which one though.

As I said, we'll have to wait and see if it amounts to anything tangible.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
User Banned (3 Days) - Ignoring Staff Post

So.... you're telling me... Xbox is better???...

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Far superior? Wow. I certainly disagree, and I think you're going to be disappointed if you believe this is going to bear out in games.

Not sure how it will bear out in games tbh. Especially considering the two SKUs on the XSX. Will devs working on multiplats be incentivized to fully utilize all the extra hw accelerators in the XSX/S ? I don't know.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
I don't think it's bravado. I think MS has a very clear vision. They know what they want, it's all about gamepass. Making it so that their games can easily be developed for both their consoles and the PC platform will ensure that gamepass is streamlined and has the same stuff on offer regardless of where you are planning to use gamepass.

I think it's going to be very succesful.

I think that has always been their goal. "Direct X" box. Direct X12 U is the unifying backend for it.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Slightly OT and maybe a dumb question but is it correct that DX12 is more difficult to program for because it's new but is needed to really fully utilize Series X?

Jun 7, 2020
What defines "full" RDNA2? Both PC and Xbox share a common graphics API in DirectX 12U.
Is "full" to mean the same feature-set as PC discrete GPUs?
Is the PC implementation of RDNA2 considered canon that the consoles can align with or deviate from?
Is this blog post essentially saying Windows and Xbox use DirectX 12U, while playing up to a some uncertainty that has been doing the rounds for months?

Sony obviously won't be using DirectX, but their own GNM API, along with any RDNA2 features specific to them that don't feature in the PC/Xbox space, like their Coherency Engines and GPU cache scrubbers.

Does that mean PC isn't using the "full" Sony RDNA2 feature-set?

If (hypothetically speaking as I'm hugely skeptical of the rumour) PS5 has something like the Infinity Cache implemented on PC, where as Xbox does not, what does that mean? Infinity Cache isn't a feature exposed to any API, so does it get counted as contributing to the "full" moniker?

Microsoft marketing department are clearly aware of the various doubts and uncertainties floating around and are playing into them, regardless of how misinformed or pointless the argument is.

Last edited:

Difio

Mar 19, 2020
Guys we need to be focusing on the hardware component of Direct ML super resolution feature. Is that something similar to DLSS?

yes, Microsoft showcased DirectML "Super resolution" back in 2018, using Forza Horizon 3 as a demo and a nvidia card. They rendered it at 1080p and then upscaled with DirectML to 4k, comparing to standard bilinear upscaling. You can watch it here, demo starts at 16:00.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
During cutscenes then?

Are you referring to technologies like VRS?

I see. Can you go into more detail about what makes the GPU far better in Series X?

I do too. I read that higher CU counts will perform better in software with RT.

The VRS hw for example can save a lot of GPU resources and enable higher framerates by varying the quality of shading within different parts of a scene. If Sony doesn't have a similar hw accelerated solution, devs that take advantage of this will be able to offer better performance(fps) in games. The other thing is SFS. If Sony doesn't have a similar hw solution, the GPU will be able to render higher quality scenes while saving on RAM despite not having as much I/O bandwidth for larger complex scenes like Sony's SSD provides.
IIRC correctly the other thing is mesh shaders vs primitive shaders, for that we have to wait and see whether Sony's geometry engine which uses primitive shaders can match up with the more advanced mesh shaders. This is all without considering the higher TFLOPs, higher number of RT cores and most importantly higher memory bandwidth available for the XSX GPU.

But again, all this means nothing if devs don't fully take advantage of these features.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The VRS hw for example can save a lot of GPU resources and enable higher framerates by varying the quality of shading within different parts of a scene. If Sony doesn't have a similar hw accelerated solution, devs that take advantage of this will be able to offer better performance(fps) in games. The other thing is SFS. If Sony doesn't have a similar hw solution, the GPU will be able to render higher quality scenes while saving on RAM despite not having as much I/O bandwidth for larger complex scenes like Sony's SSD provides.
IIRC correctly the other thing is mesh shaders vs primitive shaders, for that we have to wait and see whether Sony's geometry engine which uses primitive shaders can match up with the more advanced mesh shaders. This is all without considering the higher TFLOPs, higher number of RT cores and most importantly higher memory bandwidth available for the XSX GPU.

But again, all this means nothing if devs don't fully take advantage of these features.
Out of curiosity why would developers not take advantage of these features when they more than likely will take advantage on the PC side? This doesn't seem like something developers would just skip out on unless it is a game that was in development before they could account for said features.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly OT and maybe a dumb question but is it correct that DX12 is more difficult to program for because it's new but is needed to really fully utilize Series X?

I mean no. That's like saying the C#8 or C++ 20 is harder to program for than the previous iterations. It's just more features to use, but it's not "harder " at least not in the traditional way people would think.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Does anyone actually have a list of the full RDNA 2 Architecture?
Well that's certainly an interesting tweet. Can't wait to see the first DF face-offs. Something has to be noticeable or this is just a bold PR stunt.
I think its just PR talk, being full RDNA2 isn't a bad or good thing, xbox just happens to be the only console with the full rdna 2 architecture. Both nextgen system use a custom rdna 2 architecture , MS just happen to use the full feature set of RDNA 2 set by AMD. Without knowing whats custom about Sony's version the speculation just becomes endless.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
What defines "full" RDNA2? Both PC and Xbox share a common graphics API in DirectX 12U.
Is "full" to mean the same feature-set as PC discrete GPUs?
Is the PC implementation of RDNA2 considered canon that the consoles can align with or deviate from?
Is this blog post essentially saying Windows and Xbox use DirectX 12U, while playing up to a some uncertainty that has been doing the rounds for months?

Sony obviously won't be using DirectX, but their own GNM API, along with any RDNA2 features specific to them that don't feature in the PC/Xbox space, like their Coherency Engines and GPU cache scrubbers.

Does that mean PC isn't using the "full" Sony RDNA2 feature-set?

If (hypothetically speaking as I'm hugely skeptical of the rumour) PS5 has something like the Infinity Cache implemented on PC, where as Xbox does not, what does that mean? Infinity Cache isn't a feature exposed to any API, so does it get counted as contributing to the "full" moniker?

Microsoft marketing department are clearly aware of the various doubts and uncertainties floating around and are playing into them, regardless of misinformed or pointless the argument is.

The XSX GPU definitely doesn't have infinity cache. With 560GB/s memory bandwidth, its not bandwidth starved. On the other hand. considering the PS5 already has about 76MB of SRAM for the I/O complex it would be expensive to add 128MB of GPU L2 cache. I wouldn't expect either system to spend so much on GPU cache. higher CPU L3 cache would have more impact on performance imho.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's really interesting to me that they say Xbox uses all features of it and that's why games were delayed...implying a lot of this is firmware stuff? Does this mean things the PS5 lacks could be updated? I may be misunderstanding here.

What's interesting also is that Sony very specifically helped develop a lot of features in RDNA2, per Cerny's Road to PS5. I wonder how that fits into this.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So this isn't a massive win for team xbox?
Wait and see. We just don't know how the consoles will stack up quite yet. I suspect if there are any differences coming from RDNA2 that they will take a little while to manifest as the games coming out in the next six months probably didn't have devs thinking about the tech.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Out of curiosity why would developers not take advantage of these features when they more than likely will take advantage on the PC side? This doesn't seem like something developers would just skip out on unless it is a game that was in development before they could account for said features.
Obviously they'll take advantage of these features. My question is to what extent and how easy are they to implement. I'm sure VRS for example requires some extra optimization to ensure there isn't a single scene where the wrong object gets lower quality shading. Its an amazing feature nevertheless and is probably going to be the biggest advantage if Sony doesn't have something similar.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
So this isn't a massive win for team xbox?
Massive? No. It's just features that will provide benefits for optimizations across devices that utilize DirectX. The same way as PS5 custom GPU features will provide benefits for games in PS5. The difference here is that Sony decided to do its own software solutions, which can be better, worse, or equal.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
So why would Sony just choose not to implement some of these features into their gpu? It's not like they were a secret, all of this stuff has been around a while and common knowledge except for the infinity cache.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So why would Sony just choose not to implement some of these features into their gpu? It's not like they were a secret, all of this stuff has been around a while and common knowledge except for the infinity cache.
Timing and cost. AMD doesn't just give you the features and Sony has a timeline they have to worry about.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020

Who knows, maybe they're using methods that are better suited to their own low-level api. It's going to be speculation town till Sony comes out with a hot chips of their own.