• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Just noticed this tasty nugget.

additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution.

Basically Microsoft finally stating that not only is thier machine learning hardware accelerated, but that XSX/S also supports ML powered super resolution.

I assume this is AMD's DLSS competitor.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Did people not watch the AMD event today, there were a bunch of stuff that is Direct X exclusive that will be present in Microsoft's operating system and consoles. Microsoft are using the full stack available to them.

Sony as Cerny said aren't, they're using solutions that interest them and ditching those that aren't useful to them in the console space.

Feb 23, 2019
I wish Sony were more transparent with their chip architecture so we wouldn't have to speculate so much.

that being said, maybe PS5 doesn't have VRS because they opted for a different approach?

recall this tweet by principal engineer at Sony

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Mesh shaders, variable rate shading are not DX12 specific language.

source

u2kO8wE.png

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if sony has alternatives? I see a lot of assumptions as if they do. I think that's bad to set yourself up for disappointment if it's not the case. These are hardware-level additions.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs is getting RT on launch though? It's even present on Xbox Series S presentation, DMCVSE I assume is because devkits being late or something, at worst Sony moneyhatted it lol.

I think I confused the Maneater post launch RT patch and Watch Dogs. Also, Halo Infinite was originally set to get RT at some point in 2021 so who knows where that's at.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Do we know if sony has alternatives? I see a lot of assumptions as if they do. I think that's bad to set yourself up for disappointment if it's not the case. These are hardware-level additions.

There are software alternatives for VRS. MW 2019 already uses them, as do Halo Infinite. RDNA 1 primitive shaders / geometry engine is very close to mesh shaders already.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

From what we know Sony's answer to VRS, as an example, is the geometry engine by implication from these tweets. And we know that they also have RT solutions since we've already seen launch games using RT.

Who knows how it'll all work out though.

Oct 19, 2020
I wish Sony were more transparent with their chip architecture so we wouldn't have to speculate so much.

that being said, maybe PS5 doesn't have VRS because they opted for a different approach?

recall this tweet by principal engineer at Sony

yea it's almost a certainty sony has their own solutions for these things. idk why ms marketing is upsetting people so much.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
its very interesting to see the diff choices they may have made. i hope DF or someone has more knowledge eventually on which ones Sony made so as to make a detailed comparison.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
User banned (5 days): Ignoring staff post; account in junior phase
Am I the only one that finds it sad that a corporation - in this case MS - basically fuels console warring with the way they phrase the PR? I think we should hold them to a higher standard than that.

We already know that to the extent one of the features mentioned - Mesh Shaders, VRS, Sampler Feed-back, DirectStorage integration and RT is not used by the Playstation (and we already know that DirectStorage and Sampler Feedback is not used by Sony for obvious reasons) it is not because it is bad for the console but because Sony opted for their own customised solution.

By writing the PR with charged value words they imply that Sony is worse because they have chosen their own custom solutions. And MS knows fully that is how the internet will interpret it. I actually find it sad and disingenuous marketing behaviour.

Edit: Sorry - did not see that connecting the language of the article to markting was warned against. Apologies.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that finds it sad that a corporation - in this case MS - basically fuels console warring with the way they phrase the PR? I think we should hold them to a higher standard than that.

We already know that to the extent one of the features mentioned - Mesh Shaders, VRS, Sampler Feed-back, DirectStorage integration and RT is not used by the Playstation (and we already know that DirectStorage and Sampler Feedback is not used by Sony for obvious reasons) it is not because it is bad for the console but because Sony opted for their own customised solution.

By writing the PR with charged value words they imply that Sony is worse because they have chosen their own custom solutions. And MS knows fully that is how the internet will interpret it. I actually find it sad and disingenuous marketing behaviour.

It is marketings job to make their product look the best, that means highlighting things even if it is putting down something else. This is only bad if people take it that way, its very similar to the PS4 how to give friends games video.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Did people not watch the AMD event today, there were a bunch of stuff that is Direct X exclusive that will be present in Microsoft's operating system and consoles. Microsoft are using the full stack available to them.

Sony as Cerny said aren't, they're using solutions that interest them and ditching those that aren't useful to them in the console space.
Pretty much this. I'm sure this is not as big a deal as many think.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed this tasty nugget.

Basically Microsoft finally stating that not only is thier machine learning hardware accelerated, but that XSX/S also supports ML powered super resolution.

I assume this is AMD's DLSS competitor.
I mean, technically OpenML can just fall back to standard GPU compute instead of vendor-specific metacommand implementations for various operations and still call it 'hardware accelerated'. I mean, so long as it isn't doing literally everything on the CPU fallback path. It merely only packages operations in a way that better lends itself to being hardware accelerated and provides generic fallbacks if need be. If that acceleration is done via standard compute or specialized machine-learning hardware (such as tensor for nVidia, etc), well, it's impossible to know unless they outright tell us.

Last edited:

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much this. I'm sure this is not as big a deal as many think.

I can't believe people jumping on this believing that it's confirmation PS5 is not RDNA 2. I mean how many times do Sony have to confirm it! I mean we already knew Ps5 was using custom solutions alongside RDNA2 where Microsoft was not.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically this:
PS5 is RDNA2 based, but Sony has their own custom implementations. It's not 1:1 to RDNA2 that AMD has on PC. MS using their smart wording again to attract some console warriors.

Quite the opposite, AMD incorporated DirectX12 technology into RDNA2 (Mesh Shading, DX12 Ray Tracing, Sampler Feedback, Variable Rate Shading), not the other way around:
All this is really saying is MS adopted all of the RDNA2 Feature set, this doesnt mean sony isnt RDNA 2 but there is a divergence in the feature set sony wanted and they may have opted for their own solution than just taking the RDNA feature set. So like something like SFS is standard on RDNA2 but sony may have an alternative. Why sony has been stressing Custom RDNA 2 so hard.

Sort of, AMD announced they incorporated DX12 features into the RDNA2 architecture:
AMD showed today a lot of new RDNA2 that were made with microsoft help for their upcoming radeon 6000 video cards

Direct quote from that presentation, "With RDNA 2 we also focused on bringing new hardware features into the architecture. We partnered closely with Microsoft on Direct X 12 Ultimate features including: DirectX Raytracing, Variable Rate Shading, Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback"

youtu.be

Where Gaming Begins: Ep. 2 | AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards

Join AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su as she explores the new AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series graphics cards powered by the RDNA 2 architecture, the most powerful gaming graph...

Those four bullet points, which Microsoft is touting as being part of the "full" RDNA 2 feature set, are all Microsoft created tech that Sony doesn't use in their API.

Yup:
It's more like DirectX Ultimate features that are typical for DirectX and thus implemented in Next-gen Xbox.

Microsoft are great in their marketing approach.
Embrace, extend, and extinguish

Also yup:
I am not really in this tech talk. But doesnt the DX stuff makes the "only" happen.
I mean PS5 wont have that right? So its kinda a PR blurb in the end.

It is a fantastic marketing strategy by Microsoft because it's bombastic on one hand, while also holding a grain of truth in the other.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

From what we know Sony's answer to VRS, as an example, is the geometry engine by implication from these tweets. And we know that they also have RT solutions since we've already seen launch games using RT.

Who knows how it'll all work out though.

Strange tweet. No reason why you wouldn't use both a mesh shader for doing what he is saying the geometry engine is doing and then also using VRS for even more efficiency.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's basically this:

Quite the opposite, AMD incorporated DirectX12 technology into RDNA2 (Mesh Shading, DX12 Ray Tracing, Sampler Feedback, Variable Rate Shading), not the other way around:

Sort of, AMD announced they incorporated DX12 features into the RDNA2 architecture:

Direct quote from that presentation, "With RDNA 2 we also focused on bringing new hardware features into the architecture. We partnered closely with Microsoft on Direct X 12 Ultimate features including: DirectX Raytracing, Variable Rate Shading, Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback"

youtu.be

Join AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su as she explores the new AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series graphics cards powered by the RDNA 2 architecture, the most powerful gaming graph...

Those four bullet points, which Microsoft is touting as being part of the "full" RDNA 2 feature set, are all Microsoft created tech that Sony doesn't use in their API.

Yup:

Also yup:

It is a fantastic marketing strategy by Microsoft because it's bombastic on one hand, while also holding a grain of truth in the other.
I really like your post

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post, long history of console wars
MS PR stoking the console war flames again. I'm sure Phil is *furious*.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AMD's potential DLSS alternative is the thing I'm most excited about here tbh. AMD really need their own version of this, and the next-gen consoles ideally too. Because the performance savings to image impact are just too good to miss out on, even if the alternative is a less efficient or more resource costing software based solution, unlike Nvidias GPU's.

It's basically this:

youtu.be

Yup:

Also yup:

A lot of this conversation to me seems surprisingly similar to the conversation around this time on the eve of last gen too, where there were murmurs that DX11.2/X would bridge the gap to the PS4 with its unique API features (including from posts on GAF by a then MS marketing employee). In the end none of that stuff really made any tangible difference, and Sony's API and tools seemingly had their own take on many of the specific features or benefits outlined.

Sort of feels like people are doing a similar thing, this time confusing DirectX associated features with AMD or RDNA2 specific ones.

Last edited:

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
10 pages later, do we actually know whats the real difference between PS5 and XSX/S regarding RDNA 2 or are people just speculating?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I mean, AMD mentioned during their Desktop GPU stream today that they worked with Microsoft. I'm sure whatever MS is saying is accurate when it comes to features they nailed down.

Why are people getting tore up over this?

I'd love to see a breakdown of the features and everything they worked on for the Series X.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
A lot of this conversation to me seems surprisingly similar to the conversation around this time on the eve of last gen too, where there were murmurs that DX12 would bridge the gap to the PS4 with its unique API features, even though in the end it didn't, and Sony's API and tools had their own take on many of the specific features or benefits outlined.

Hell, we even had an actual Microsoft PR guy on GAF come on and tout the argument about DIrectX and its benefits over the competition.

Couple things to note. DX12 was announced after the Xbox One was released. Perhaps you are referring to just DX11?

I don't recall any gpu hardware features mentioned during the beginning of last gen driven by direct x. I could be mistaken though. Could you list them out?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
From what we know Sony's answer to VRS, as an example, is the geometry engine. And we know that they also have RT solutions since we've already seen launch games using RT.

From the PS5 tech presentation, the PS5 RT solution is just vanilla RDNA2, not a Sony solution. Based on some chatter, though, yeah, VRS and the geometry stage seem to be the most likely candidates for where they've taken a different tack.

youtu.be

Obviously Sony uses their own API, but the underlying hardware support I think is what's in question. And on that front, at least one of these (RT) is a RDNA2 drop-in on PS5 - thus not a Microsoft IP that Sony can't use. By extension I don't think we can assume too much about which others aren't RDNA2-standard on PS5 (although as above, VRS and the geometry stage seem likely candidates anyway).

10 pages later, do we actually know whats the real difference between PS5 and XSX/S regarding RDNA 2 or are people just speculating?

We probably won't know until Sony talks about where they diverged.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Have any devs weighed in on this yet? Curious if there's any practical difference or not and want information from a non-PR source.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know but the DirectX ingrained stuff seems to be it. The Verge is working on a story so maybe they will have some more details. In the end, its speculation on what this means till we start seeing more and more games.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Spicy! Whether it will have noticeable practical benefits remains to be seen. Fair game though. Sony put 8K on the box even though we know no game is actually going to run at that resolution 😸