• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Considering Microsoft's overall strategy, it seems like the right move for them to stick as closely to the featureset in upcoming GPUs as possible, without going overboard with console-proprietary hardware features. Lowering the porting barrier between console and PC and such (however much it may actually be lowered, here).
Also why they seem to be merging the SDK/GDK. It's to make porting easier and encourage players to switch from Windows 7/8 to 10.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
DF comparison videos gonna be amazing next gen
DF couldn't have asked for a better matchup.

XSX is more powerful enough to generate curiosity and discussion (clicks) but not so powerful as to make better performance a foregone conclusion. This is also without throwing into the mix the SSD differences.

Simply stated, DF gonna eat.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Or it could not. Digital Foundry has mentioned in several videos that they asked Sony for confirmation on specific RDNA2 features and they never got it. It could very well be that Sony's GPU has custom functionality achieving similar results or it could be that some features were omitted for some reason. Neither possibility can be dismissed with the information currently available.
I wouldn't read to much into it for now. But it would be cool to hear from Sony why they never answered DF request about RDNA2 feature set.
MS marketing catering directly to console warriors...
Having a 1:1 architecture with the PC chips is not even a real advantage if a platform holder decide to make ad hoc customizations that make things even better in the context of their closed system.
We don't know what makes things even better. That's just speculation on your part.
I think he means assuming that Sony has equivalent features for ever single RDNA2 feature. It pure speculation either way because Sony hasn't released any info yet.
No lies detected.
So people are still using marketing to argue that the ps5 can't do this same stuff? lol
Why are we expecting feature parity for this consoles, when both asked AMD to make custom enhancements. Thats like assuming, because Xbox One had a dedicated audio chip, the PS4 has to have one aswell. Which it didn't iirc.

Both consoles will do stuff the other console simply doesn't have. I dislike straight up assuming everything company X does is part of company Y by default. That's not how this works, since all companies have limited resources and focus on what matters to them.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
MS have been on point with their PR around the console architecture. This is fluff, but it gets people riled.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It'd be like Sony claiming only the PS5 will give gamers instant load times or only the PS5 will give gamers immersive 3D Audio. They don't claim either. They do say the PS5 will give gamers both, though.
Not really. If Sony said that they'd be lying because SX has 3D audio and instant loading. Microsoft isn't lying about RDNA2 features.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
DF couldn't have asked for a better matchup.

XSX is more powerful enough to generate curiosity and discussion (clicks) but not so powerful as to make better performance a foregone conclusion. This is also without throwing into the mix the SSD differences.

Simply stated, DF gonna eat.
I really am curious how they will compare. On paper the XSX is more powerful but will that translate into the multiplatform games? Usually one console becomes my main then the other for exclusives. I wonder what's going to take that this gen. MS has the more powerful hardware and their future proofing makes me feel more confident. PS5 could be just as powerful and they have what seems to be a more impressive controller.

I want to see the AC Valhalla comparisons.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This probably doesnt mean much at all, I would think. Its been suggested before that Sony has equivalents for all the "missing" RDNA2 features.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring Staff Post, Drive By Trolling, Prior related infractions
Always the same warriors posting in here regarding this stuff, I should make a bingo with their names.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This probably doesnt mean much at all, I would think. Its been suggested before that Sony has equivalents for all the "missing" RDNA2 features.
Suggested without evidence iirc, unless I missed a insider post. I think it's silly to suggest company X has everything company Y has and vice versa. There are always differences.

Back to the specific topic:
  • Could Sony have an equivalent to all features Xbox has? Maybe.
  • Could Sony have some equivalent features? Maybe.
  • Could Sony have non of these features like SFS, ...? Maybe.
We just don't know, but the wording of the article seems to imply Microsoft waited longer, which would put some truth into the heavily rumored late devkits and SDK's on Xbox plattforms. While Sony was far ahead in the schedule with their PS5 SDK and devkits.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Interesting and good for MS. But I dont think we are going to see a big difference visually between games.

Sony's ICE teams seem to be killing it and knowing that they only have to develop an API for one system will benefit them greatly. Just as the PS4 has consistantly punched above its weight.

zireael

Nov 7, 2017
"Through close collaboration and partnership between Xbox and AMD, not only have we delivered on this promise, we have gone even further introducing additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution."

Possibly referencing AMD's DLSS alternative?
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1620...-starts-at-the-highend-coming-november-18th/2
Intended to be AMD's answer to NVIDIA's DLSS technology, Super Resolution is a similar intelligent upscaling technique that is designed to upscale lower resolution images to higher resolutions while retaining much of their sharpness and clarity.

henriquezero

May 14, 2020
User Banned (3 Days) - Ignoring Staff Post/Platform Warring
I see this the same as Bethesda acquisition... If was Sony going full RDNA 2 this post was full of "Mark Cerny is the best" but the fact was Microsoft doing the right thing here, people are "let's wait and see"
I mean this a clearly advantage

Jun 23, 2019
Well that's on Sony for not outlining their RDNA2 features.

lol It's not Sony's job to police MS's decision to use fluffy language in their marketing. If they decide to address it, they will. If not? The proof will be in the pudding.

I see this the same as Bethesda acquisition... If was Sony going full RDNA 2 this post was full of "Mark Cerny is the best" but the fact was Microsoft doing the right thing here, people are "let's wait and see"

Do y'all ever get tired of all the persecution complex?

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
The concept of nomenclature and implementation details are beyond a console warrior's comprehension, as evidenced by this thread.

Todays AMD presentation mentioned Direct Storage, DirectML and XDR in the context of RDNA2, all of which is just Direct-X specific nomenclature, with no bearing on Sony's potential implementations.

Also, DirectML is entirely GPU agnostic. The operators that are hardware accelerated depend solely on what's implemented by the vendors. Supporting DirectML lends zero information in regards to actual hardware support. Heck, it can even work without a GPU entirely, since it has CPU fallbacks for everything.

Last edited:

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Was Sony's architecture finalized earlier than Xbox? If so, perhaps the initial games are going to look/run better on ps5 as they have had more time to customize for the system, with Xbox later catching up/surpassing as they are able to fully leverage it's hardware advantages.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
It's just marketing. "The only console that uses full RDNA2" could just as well have been "The only console that uses standard RDNA2".

The first sounds much better than the second. Sony isn't able to say either of those things because they have made customizations. We just don't know yet how those customizations compare to the standard features.

Nah it's nothing like the Bethesda acquisition. We also don't know if it's an advantage because we don't know what kind of customized features Sony has added instead of the standard features.

That this thread is the way it is is on Sony really. They should be more open about stuff like this.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
NX Gamer said some days ago that Sony's GNM API already can mimic Direct X functionalities to ease PC ports to PlayStation platforms. I wonder if they already had some of that on the PS5 API since it doesn't support Direct X Ray Tracing

Dec 8, 2018
So MS no longer focusing on consoles but also PC went with a GPU as close as possible to the PC GPU AMD releases and Sony went with one more customized. Why is anyone shocked about this? Sony will just use their own solution like they always done just that it's not called the same as the direct X counter part.

This is simply the direct X12 marketing speak we got this gen and how that would only be available on Xbox and PC and we all know how impactful that was in bridging anything.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
VRS and hardware SFS are seemingly the only RDNA2 features exclusive to the Xbox consoles right? I know there was that patent that Sony had a software form of SFS as well as a geometry engine or something that would have the same functionality as mesh shaders, but is there anything that indicates that software SFS will be as good as hardware, or whether or not VRS is that needed?

Since SFS is just better RAM optimization on an incredibly simplified level, I wonder if the PS5's SSD partially negates the need for that/can make up the difference between hardware and software SFS.

I really wish MS could have done a breakdown of the XSS APU, as well as Sony with the PS5.

I am really looking forward to digital foundry breakdowns to see if the PS5 has equivalent technologies, and if they do not, if they actually make a tangible benefit over the PS5 hardware beyond the raw power.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So does anyone have the patents Sony registered that counter some of the features they might not have? Would love to see them.

This was one of the more recent omnibus versions of work Cerny patented around 'variable resolution':

VARYING EFFECTIVE RESOLUTION BY SCREEN LOCATION BY ALTERING RASTERIZATION PARAMETERS

Complete Patent Searching Database and Patent Data Analytics Services.

The work seemed to start with VR use-case, varying resolution in parts of the buffer that are not in focus when viewed through a VR lens, but it's as applicable to any scenario where you might want to varying your rendering parameters in different parts of the screen buffer. What made me think of this in a PS5 context was that ex SIE engineer's Twitter comments about 'VRS is nice, but...' which implied a link to the geometry stage and culling. In this approach broader command parameters per primitive can be varied, so maybe Sony was building on an approach like this and added some stuff to the PS5 geometry stage to help that out vs a PS4 implementation.

This is speculative piecing together of disparate elements mind you. Ultimately it's up to Sony to clarify what 'PS5 RDNA2' is, what it dropped, what it changed or added, and why. Until then we're kind of poking around in the dark, and I don't expect MS to argue for Sony's choices.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see how this plays out long term. With games like Watch Dogs and DMCVSE getting ray tracing post launch on XSX, it sounds like the XSX/XSS GDK isn't quite finished so we'll probably be waiting until late 2021/2022 to see games really utilizing the new tech.

Jun 22, 2018
So, the question is, which RDNA2 features is the PS5 missing?

There have been rumors that it doesn't have things like mesh shaders or variable rate shaders, if I recall.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Interestingly, for this exact reason I see relative parity or even possibly a slight advantage with PS5 in 2020/2021 and then Xbox with a noticeable but not astronomical advantage 2022 onwards. I also think Id, Arkane, Coalition, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, BGS, InXile, etc. will do some really cool stuff with the tech, particularly in machine learning and AI. And of course Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, etc. will raise the bar for PS5.

I'm in a similar mindset. We know Microsoft's new unified SDK came in really hot, and probably too late for any launch title to take advantage of it, whilst Sony's PS5 SDK was an enhanced version of the PS4 SDK, was in the hands of devs for a decent amount of time and spoken about very highly.

I suspect we'll see the PS5 outshine the Series X in some scenarios for the first year and then around 2022 we'll see Series X consistently outperform the PS5, but again, not to a significant degree.

Either way, even if it doesn't turn out like that, I'm happy as I have both at launch so the next few years for me are going to be filled with fun :D

Oct 25, 2017
It's seems like a spectacular waste of energy to try to accurately interpret one company's marketing statement about another company's marketing term.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Interested to see how this plays out long term. With games like Watch Dogs and DMCVSE getting ray tracing post launch on XSX, it sounds like the XSX/XSS GDK isn't quite finished so we'll probably be waiting until late 2021/2022 to see games really utilizing the new tech.
Watch Dogs is getting RT on launch though? It's even present on Xbox Series S presentation, DMCVSE I assume is because devkits being late or something, at worst Sony moneyhatted it lol.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what is the claim here? What features are they saying the PS5 doesn't have?