• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao, no one is "offended".

And MS can of course market their console. The issue that people have is the wording that MS uses. They know they can get people (fanboys) riled up by using the word "full" in this context. They could've easily said "These are some of the features Xbox Series S/X use from RDNA2". Instead, they decided to feed fanboys by saying "only Xbox Series X/S have full RDNA2.".

It'd be like Sony claiming only the PS5 will give gamers instant load times or only the PS5 will give gamers immersive 3D Audio. They don't claim either. They do say the PS5 will give gamers both, though.

MS know what they're doing.

Sony knows what they are doing also.

They all know what they are doing...

We believe in generations...

No corporation is immune to this marketing spiel.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Without knowing if this is good or bad... I'm not sure how to read this news, only that it's full rdna2, but what does that even mean.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
On topic I'm really interested in ML super resolution thing. Is this AMD's respond to DLSS? I experience first hand how awesome DLSS was when playing Death stranding on my PC. It would be awesome if consoles get something like it.
Yeah but we will hear about it in december after the actual GPUs launch sadly.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
FULL RDNA 2 ™*

*All Rights Reserved. FULL RDNA 2 ™, XBOX and Microsoft logo are registered or unregistered trademarks of Microsoft in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Wow at people being offended that MS is marketing their consoles.

1332010233162_9638490.png
If this ain't the truth. The tweets that point out how this has been known are so true. Even Cerny said in his presentation that they didn't use AMD had to offer and they came up with their own stuff.
It makes perfect sense for Msoft to develop with AMD so closely, with all their games coming to PC(hell they're working with Nvidia)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Can't wait for these consoles to be out and never have to hear the word teraflop again.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
So many people jumping at the chance to post their take without having a clue what any of this means...

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
um. wow. We will really see some differences a few years into this thing. Exciting to watch and play all of it! im here for it!

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Source? How do you know these are merely 'in-house solutions'?

The Xbox Wire blog post says

This clearly talks about hardware integrations vs the direct x stuff you and many others here seem to expect it to be.

It's speculation either way, and judging by their very unclear and non-specific messaging (as usual) it's obvious that it's not a significative advantage and the user of the word 'full' is purely a semantics

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ouch to PS5. This explains why Sony was so secretive.

So no VRS and mesh shaders in PS5 it looks like?

VRS & Mesh shaders are not originally RDNA2 specific features, but Nvidia. MS uses these terms as they're linked to DirectX API. Sony has thus far only used AMD specific terms when talking RDNA2, eg Primitive Shaders.

Domino

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we new this already. Xbox has direct X, the PS5 doesn't so Sony has to do a custom implementation.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, no one is "offended".

And MS can of course market their console. The issue that people have is the wording that MS uses. They know they can get people (fanboys) riled up by using the word "full" in this context. They could've easily said "These are some of the features Xbox Series S/X use from RDNA2". Instead, they decided to feed fanboys by saying "only Xbox Series X/S have full RDNA2.".

It'd be like Sony claiming only the PS5 will give gamers instant load times or only the PS5 will give gamers immersive 3D Audio. They don't claim either. They do say the PS5 will give gamers both, though.

MS know what they're doing.

I mean... Is what they are claiming false? No? So even if what they are saying is true they can't say it because it feed fanboys?

No offense but what you just wrote perfectly exemplify the meme.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Ps5 also has tech not seen in rdna2. It's custom silicon based on rdna2

True statement and a way Sony could spin the story if they cared. I figure the legit launch lineup coming out is what they think will sell the system

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
"Through close collaboration and partnership between Xbox and AMD, not only have we delivered on this promise, we have gone even further introducing additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution."

Possibly referencing AMD's DLSS alternative?

As some of us have been hinting, it's in some of my posts. MS and AMD are gonna be doing this solution just to play catch up with sony or nvidia. All 4 have a vested interested in doing this tech right, whether or not it's together doesn't mean much to me only the competition and evolution.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
User Banned (1 week): Inappropriate point of comparison, console wars, account in junior phase
Wow, Microsoft is actually going for the semantics in order to fuel the console wars. Disgusting, both are takig advantage of RDNA2 features, one staying similar to PC GPU and the other with some customizations.

What the hell is going at Xbox management? The sexism in xbox Brazil, Aaron Greenberg and Phil Spencer fueling toxic fanboys, now this. Really disgusting

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Wow, Microsoft is actually going for the semantics in order to fuel the console wars. Disgusting, both are takig advantage of RDNA2 features, one staying similar to PC GPU and the other with some customizations.

What the hell is going at Xbox management? The sexism in xbox Brazil, Aaron Greenberg and Phil Spencer fueling toxic fanboys, now this. Really disgusting
I haven't really seen Sony much acknowledge MS at all either directly or indirectly like this tweet does.

in the distant past? Sure

MS just seems a lot more vocal lately in calling out Sony even when some of these things are completely non-issues

They are both marketing their machines as the better option, they always have and always will. Those who take excpetion when they do it are usually from those who are not interested in the product they are marketing and feel as though it is an "attack" and somehow link that into a personal jab. It's weird.

Dude, you see this shit in every industry. Marketing is doing their job to make their product look good. Why wouldn't they go there and rile up the fans, lol.

Of course they do. Even the BC program Microsoft did and mention not having to use boost mode set some people off.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone interested in some more info related to how these features might be used, here are some resources:

Variable Rate Shading Tech Focus and Introduction from Digital Foundry

Microsoft's DirectML presentation from GDC 2019

The mesh shaders (which we have signals Sony has a solution for) and sampler feedback functions in RDNA2 are also going to be an immediate benefit, where implemented, as described by AnandTech in their AMD/RDNA2 piece from today:
Meanwhile variable rate shading and mesh shaders are going to be less visible to end users, but they offer tangible performance improvements, and in the case of mesh shaders will eventually dramatically alter the geometry pipeline for games designed with mesh shaders as a baseline feature. Finally, sampler feedback will allow game developers to get a better idea of what textures and texel blocks within those textures are being used, allowing developers to better manage what assets are in VRAM and what needs to be pre-loaded.
(This article has a whole bunch of details pulled out from the AMD presentation)

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
It is pretty evident that RDNA2 has some hooks to DX 12 features at a hardware level. If you watch videos on AMD's unveiling today, you will see that games using DXR is hardware level supported while thouse using Vulkan are not.

Thats all i read this tweet as. Of course, it is in MS's best interest to unify development across Xbox and PC by offering a common set of features (remember the handwringing about how the GDK made Xbox development difficult?)

And AMD benefits by leveraging technology from MS to compete with Nvidia

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Both consoles support the same features, it's just called something else or tweaked on PS5.
We don't know this. Both are based on RDNA2, but that's about it. Nobody ever official stated feature parity between these consoles.
"In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture."

You could draw a number of different conclusions from this as well.
Yep, interesting sentence.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony's RDNA2 does everything but some things are their own take and additions. It's pretty much meaningless to delineate and it feels like Microsoft are being quite petty. For all the things the PS5 isn't doing exactly like AMD, they have an equivalent or better for their silicon.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Consoles NEED a DLSS like solution man. If this ML Super Resolution is anything like DLSS I'll be a happy camper.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
This is a great news. We will probably see the impact of these exclusives tech on the next XGS games.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Two questions therefore follow:

1. Does Sony have a custom alternative?

2. If so, how performant is their alternative in comparison?
I think those are the major questions. MS seems to be touting them in the article as something more advanced than their competitors but we haven't really seen what PS is doing. It could be better, it could be worse, or it could be non existent. Who knows until tests start to really show the difference.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
DF comparison videos gonna be amazing next gen
Interestingly, for this exact reason I see relative parity or even possibly a slight advantage with PS5 in 2020/2021 and then Xbox with a noticeable but not astronomical advantage 2022 onwards. I also think Id, Arkane, Coalition, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, BGS, InXile, etc. will do some really cool stuff with the tech, particularly in machine learning and AI. And of course Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, etc. will raise the bar for PS5.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Interestingly, for this exact reason I see relative parity or even possibly a slight advantage with PS5 in 2020/2021 and then Xbox with a noticeable but not astronomical advantage 2022 onwards. I also think Id, Arkane, Coalition, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, BGS, InXile, etc. will do some really cool stuff with the tech, particularly in machine learning and AI. And of course Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, etc. will raise the bar for PS5.

Yup, then everybody gets to play great games.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Considering Microsoft's overall strategy, it seems like the right move for them to stick as closely to the featureset in upcoming GPUs as possible, without going overboard with console-proprietary hardware features. Lowering the porting barrier between console and PC and such (however much it may actually be lowered, here).