• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 23, 2019
Haven't both sides always done this? Next gen starts when we say, this is how you trade games, we believe in generations?

We will see soon enough when we get proper comparisons and hands on impressions.

I haven't really seen Sony much acknowledge MS at all either directly or indirectly like this tweet does.

in the distant past? Sure

MS just seems a lot more vocal lately in calling out Sony even when some of these things are completely non-issues

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You mean like people pretend that the video of a Sony exec exchanging disks with another Sony employee was completely innocent?

Oh...so we are doing this 'tit for tat' by using a previous marketing tactic more than half a decade ago from Sony....

Maybe I need to dig up something from xbox marketing in the og xbox days in the mid-2000s to counter your argument /s

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Wow at people being offended that MS is marketing their consoles.

1332010233162_9638490.png
Lmao, no one is "offended".

And MS can of course market their console. The issue that people have is the wording that MS uses. They know they can get people (fanboys) riled up by using the word "full" in this context. They could've easily said "These are some of the features Xbox Series S/X use from RDNA2". Instead, they decided to feed fanboys by saying "only Xbox Series X/S have full RDNA2.".

It'd be like Sony claiming only the PS5 will give gamers instant load times or only the PS5 will give gamers immersive 3D Audio. They don't claim either. They do say the PS5 will give gamers both, though.

MS know what they're doing.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Console warriors at the moment.

tenor.gif

Seriously it's marketing. People gotta chill, it's a normal thing for companies to tout features. As long as games look great they can call it RDNA potato and I'd be happy.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If there is a notable feature they have over ps5 they'll likely mention it on whatever majornelsons podcast is. Maybe wait for more detail instead of having a panic attack over one select sentence in the op.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy how many assumptions are being made in here from a simple non specific tweet.

On one hand some of you are like:
- PS5 has RDNA 1.5 or RDNA 1 with a few features from RDNA 2
- PS5 doesn't have Variable Rate Shading

And then the rest of you are like:
- Microsoft is flaming fanboy wars!
- The only differences are that it's not directx 12
- PS5 has RDNA2+/RDNA 3 because of the custimizations

How is it possible to have these types of bold conclusions from a tweet that simply says the Series X/S is the only console with full RNDA2 Integration?
We will soon know what they bought from AMD

They have their own custom solutions for the stuff they didn't buy off of AMD

everyone needs to cool down

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): platform wars, related prior warning
Considering the well documented embrace of Micosoft's toxic fanboy culture, they very much enjoy the running narrative fueled by fanboys gleefully posting, "Trash console! RDNA 1.5!" in every comment section of a PS5 related news article.

The comment section of the thread only proves that lol

It is what it is.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Weirdly enough this thread now has more posts about how MS is riling up console warriors (and they post the same shit over and over again) than about the actual topic.
Interesting.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really seen Sony much acknowledge MS at aeither directly or indirectly like this tweet does.

in the distant past? Sure

MS just seems a lot more vocal lately in calling out Sony even when some of these things are completely non-issues
"We believe in generations" while hiding PS4 versions of Horizon 2 and Miles morales.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
This thread is nuts. The PS5 still has the main architecture improvements of RDNA2, just missing a few features. If I had to guess I'd say this is possibly a result of Sony finalizing their chip design before all the RDNA2 hardware features were in.

If situations were reversed, Sony would be marketing it as well. People are acting like they've been personally attacked or something. Relax.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing when official xbox pr tries to continue some dumb console warrior shit. Yes the PS5 is RDNA2 and utilizes custom stuff. I can't believe we are at this point in the cycle

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
We don't even know which of the RDNA2 features won't be on the PS5. What if it's just something like "sampler feedback" which is unimportant and developed by Microsoft. Mesh shades are nice but only benefit a few games.
Can't imagine it's VRS because that would be a biggie for an eye-tracking PSVR 2 headset, unless Sony has their own hardware powered solution for this.

Point is, we don't know which, so what are we even talking about?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
We will see soon enough when we get proper comparisons and hands on impressions.

About that, since I don't follow the console market that closely, is it actually possible to determine the existence or absense of specific features on a console platform without the developers or console manufacturer disclosing it?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
What RDNA2 features are only on Xbox Series X/S? Microsoft's messaging is so confusing, it's ridiculous to wvoid mentioning that those are the in-house solutions like DirectX Raytracing... But I guess they need to fuel console wars through misinformation as a marketing strategy... Oh well

Source? How do you know these are merely 'in-house solutions'?

The Xbox Wire blog post says

In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture.

This clearly talks about hardware integrations vs the direct x stuff you and many others here seem to expect it to be.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
And MS can of course market their console. The issue that people have is the wording that MS uses. They know they can get people (fanboys) riled up by using the word "full" in this context. They could've easily said "These are some of the features Xbox Series S/X use from RDNA2". Instead, they decided to feed fanboys by saying "only Xbox Series X/S have full RDNA2.".
Dude, you see this shit in every industry. Marketing is doing their job to make their product look good. Why wouldn't they go there and rile up the fans, lol. Anyways, what they're claiming isn't even wrong so what's the issue?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
This is strange. Not the tweet. That's just marketing doin it's thing. What's strange is how some act like they have to defend the PS5's honor. It's not like what's being said is that big of a deal.

Some just can't give the Xbox an inch in any regard.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
People saying that Xbox Wire is not riling the Console War with that tweet, really need to see the retweets from the Xbox Heads

And yes, it is as petty as the Shu game loan video, however that DRM was bs.

I really hate this console cycle

Larry's tweet is innocent enough. Nothing wrong with talking to a hardware guy about how they are implementing all of the RDNA2 features. I mean the initial tweet was enough to know what they are trying to do here.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
"In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture."

You could draw a number of different conclusions from this as well.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, does this mean that Xbox Series X has 128 mb of Infinity Cache? That's a core RDNA 2 hardware feature.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About that, since I don't follow the console market that closely, is it actually possible to determine the existence or absense of specific features on a console platform without the developers or console manufacturer disclosing it?

if they cant make a difference in games what's their point then....?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's conformation that Xbox Series X will support AMD's machine learning upscaler / DLSS equivalent. That's exciting - especially for the Xbox Series S.

Hopefully Sony has a similar solution within the RDNA 2 features they support, or in addition to them.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I guess they had to wait after the AMD conference to release that info. Still great and I can't wait to see what VRS will be able to do on the future!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Weirdly enough this thread now has more posts about how MS is riling up console warriors than about the actual topic.
Interesting.
Obvious. The goal post always moves for some. First it's all features Xbox announced are part of RDNA2, thus PS5 has them aswell. Then it was PS5 has some RDNA3 features and Xbox might actually be RDNA1. And now it's MS being a console warrior, despite just announcing what they feel is a advantage.

Camells
Do you have proof for your assumptions? Both are RDNA2 based, but until now it was never said which consoles support all the features. It could be Sony just opting for their own solution instead. But we don't know this and it's simply a assumption, when someone says there is feature parity without any evidence.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Is this referring to DirectX features and not AMD technology? I would guess that Microsoft should absolutely not know what is in the PS5 GPU with the exception of Microsoft technology (DirectX).

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Weirdly enough this thread now has more posts about how MS is riling up console warriors (and they post the same shit over and over again) than about the actual topic.
Interesting.
On topic I'm really interested in ML super resolution thing. Is this AMD's respond to DLSS? I experience first hand how awesome DLSS was when playing Death stranding on my PC. It would be awesome if consoles get something like it.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
This thread is nuts. The PS5 still has the main architecture improvements of RDNA2, just missing a few features. If I had to guess I'd say this is possibly a result of Sony finalizing their chip design before all the RDNA2 hardware features were in.

If situations were reversed, Sony would be marketing it as well. People are acting like they've been personally attacked or something. Relax.

I like you :)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Source? How do you know these are merely 'in-house solutions'?

The Xbox Wire blog post says

This clearly talks about hardware integrations vs the direct x stuff you and many others here seem to expect it to be.
so it seems they've been waiting for this AMD conference before making this announcement. I am curious to know what full RDNA2 integration means now. Dictator can you explain? what do you think this all means?