• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Platform warring, history of similar infractions
What RDNA2 features are only on Xbox Series X/S? Microsoft's messaging is so confusing, it's ridiculous to wvoid mentioning that those are the in-house solutions like DirectX Raytracing... But I guess they need to fuel console wars through misinformation as a marketing strategy... Oh well

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That info was leaked by a dev who posted messages from a Sony Engineer. It is fact.

Nah. The PS5 is based on RDNA2 architecture while using custom solutions for certain features to fit Sony's needs, whatever those are. Microsoft, however, seems to be uses the full feature set provided to them by AMD which also features in the newly announced GPUs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Of course Sony won't support every feature, they customize, that is their approach to console design because they don't need parity with PC.
With that said, that blogpost is lacking a mention of the key hardware feature of RDNA2, the infinity cache. I don't think neither console have it (we know for a fact Xbox does not have it from the architecture papers), but without the feature that provides the biggest improvement for RDNA2, can you really say that the GPU is "full RDNA2"? That is not the downplay the series x, it's a fantastic machine, but I am confused what does "fully integrate RDNA2" mean in this case

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
It's crazy how many assumptions are being made in here from a simple non specific tweet.

On one hand some of you are like:
- PS5 has RDNA 1.5 or RDNA 1 with a few features from RDNA 2
- PS5 doesn't have Variable Rate Shading

And then the rest of you are like:
- Microsoft is flaming fanboy wars!
- The only differences are that it's not directx 12
- PS5 has RDNA2+/RDNA 3 because of the custimizations

How is it possible to have these types of bold conclusions from a tweet that simply says the Series X/S is the only console with full RNDA2 Integration?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Trolling, history of similar behaviour
it seems the feathers are rustled

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course Sony won't support every feature, they customize, that is their approach to console design because they don't need parity with PC.
With that said, that blogpost is lacking a mention of the key hardware feature of RDNA2, the infinity cache. I don't think neither console have it (we know for a fact Xbox does not have it from the architecture papers), but without the feature that provides the biggest improvement for RDNA2, can you really say that the GPU is "full RDNA2"? That is not the downplay the series x, it's a fantastic machine, but I am confused what does "fully integrate RDNA2" mean in this case

yeah, xsx is not full rdna2 aswell then.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at people being offended that MS is marketing their consoles.

1332010233162_9638490.png
This lol.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
MS marketing catering directly to console warriors...
Having a 1:1 architecture with the PC chips is not even a real advantage if a platform holder decide to make ad hoc customizations that make things even better in the context of their closed system.

Aardvarken

Dec 28, 2019
So PS5 doesn't use DirectX stuff, what a surprise. Other than that it's still RDNA 2. But I guess MS got the response they wanted with this sort of article.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Looks like MS own embargo by amd was lifted today. They can reveal the full RDNA 2 suite of features.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
this is the feeling I get

I don't know why MS feels the need to fan the console war flames like this
Oh yeah, forgot about this. But fanboys are gonna fanboy and Microsoft loves fueling that fire.

Haven't both sides always done this? Next gen starts when we say, this is how you trade games, we believe in generations?

This is genuinely surprising. I am curious to find out which features are different between the platforms.
Or it could not. Digital Foundry has mentioned in several videos that they asked Sony for confirmation on specific RDNA2 features and they never got it. It could very well be that Sony's GPU has custom functionality achieving similar results or it could be that some features were omitted for some reason. Neither possibility can be dismissed with the information currently available.

We will see soon enough when we get proper comparisons and hands on impressions.

TigerKnee

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
I would say something but like 99% of this forum, I don't know WTF RDNA2 does and what differences it will make between both consoles.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I should be more clear. PS5 is RDNA 2, but it is based on Navi 10, while xbox is based on Navi 21.
lol. Navi 10 is RDNA 1
www.techpowerup.com

AMD Navi 10 GPU Specs

2560 Cores, 160 TMUs, 64 ROPs

"AMD's Navi 10 GPU uses the RDNA 1.0 architecture and is made using a 7 nm production process at TSMC. With a die size of 251 mm² and a transistor count of 10,300 million it is a medium-sized chip. Navi 10 supports DirectX 12 (Feature Level 12_1). For GPU compute applications, OpenCL version 2.0 can be used. It features 2560 shading units, 160 texture mapping units and 64 ROPs."

iA9feL2.png

So rather than looking at 10 TF vs 12TF.
The Xbox is going to have 50%+ more performance per watt? lol

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Just like PS4 didn't have the revolutionary, proprietary and fully bespoke move engines that the Xbox One had. Sony is playing catch up again.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Props to MS marketing, there are really good compared to last launch. They are not lying and people are eating it up. They where sitting on this for a while.

And for the last time PS5 is RDNA2 based, Sony just chose (or cant DX12) to not use some features and developed and added some of there own. So full RDNA2 means use all of the base features. RDNA2 based is using most features and drop what you dont need or cant use and add your own. It does not mean the PS5 is RDNA1.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It says "FULL" rdna 2. That means it uses all features. Not that the PS5 isn't an rdna 2 console. To my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong, the PS5 does not do VRS.

VRS is one area that has been heavily speculated to be different on PS5 though, if it's not missing. But we've only had speculation. We don't know for sure yet which feature(s) PS5 didn't adopt from RDNA2, or which it does or doesn't have analogs of.

I should be more clear. PS5 is RDNA 2, but it is based on Navi 10, while xbox is based on Navi 21.

Navi 10 isn't based on RDNA2. There's the core RDNA2 microarchitecture, which both consoles and these PC parts are based on. There's then 'PC-standard' RDNA2 features, which the consoles adopt to different degrees (XSX to a full degree). There are some things that both have added or tweaked different to 'PC-standard' RDNA2 (e.g. SFS texture filtering, gpu cache scrubbing) - again, possibly to different degrees, and I think that's the end of the story we have the least visibility of right now.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
People saying that Xbox Wire is not riling the Console War with that tweet, really need to see the retweets from the Xbox Heads

And yes, it is as petty as the Shu game loan video, however that DRM was bs.

I really hate this console cycle

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I guess ms should just not talk about any advantage or diff there console has

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Speculation time. Yay.
The only thing we know is that Xbox Series S/X use full RDNA2 architecture while the PS5 misses features from that.
We don't know which features but I doubt it is a secret weapon in Console War 2020.
We do know. Xbox mentioned specifically DirectX Ray Tracing, Variable Rate Shading, Sampler Feedback Streaming, and mesh shading. We know Sony has ray tracing, but we don't know if they have their own implementations of VRS, SFS, and mesh shading.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft Marketing Team with that dirty ass campaign stirring up the warriors again.

PS5 = Custom RDNA2 (Customized for PS5 features and who knows what they added)
XBOX X = Standard RDNA2 (Closer to what we get on PCs)

If you don't get that please gtfo.