• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This is genuinely surprising. I am curious to find out which features are different between the platforms.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Well, this is some console warrior bullshit

This is on AMD website

AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles. The groundbreaking RDNA architecture was first introduced at E3 2019, and since then has continuously evolved to spearhead the next generation of high performance gaming. It's the DNA that powers your games, the DNA that brings your games to life, the DNA that keeps evolvin
There is nothing console warrior about this. They just advertise what they think is their consoles advantage. Was the infamous "how to share games on PS4" video also just console warrior BS? I don't think so. All three consoles are based on RDNA2 and that's what's standing in your quote. But this doesn't mean all three support all enhancements made by RDNA2. Could be some things missing on PS or then creating their own method. We just don't know, but regardless of the outcome there is no reason to panic.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Ties in with what one of the guys from DF said on here today that song haven't confirmed anything on VRS and the likes to them so I'd assume that's one of the features missing.

www.resetera.com

AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Reveal |OT| Hey. Listen! Choo! Choo! OT

We are sadly still not sure if PS5 supports other RDNA 2 things like full mesh shaders, SRS like function or VRS. :( Never heard back about it.

"We are sadly still not sure if PS5 supports other RDNA 2 things like full mesh shaders, SRS like function or VRS. :( Never heard back about it"

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like it's going to come down to wording and marketing pr at the end, but let's see how this all unfurls...

tenor.gif

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Care to elaborate on all that? I genuinely do not know. Would be curious to read about it.
Basically, PS5 is based on RDNA2 architecture. That means it has the performance and can go with those crazy clocks for example. The thing that MS is claiming, is that their RDNA2 is full because the PC graphics card has the same things XSX has, but in reality, this is because they use DirectX API. Sony does not use DirectX, it has their own graphical API. So, Sony can have their own version on these things, miss some or even have exclusive features.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
AMD showed today a lot of new RDNA2 that were made with microsoft help for their upcoming radeon 6000 video cards

Yeah, but the point remains. For example AMD worked with Microsoft on Direct X Ray Tracing (the sw layer) - but we know, explicitly, that PS5 has taken the same RT hardware over from RDNA2 rather than a custom Sony job. 'Working with MS' around certain things, on the API side in particular, doesn't mean the hardware underlying said features wasn't made available for PS5.

Microsoft is being very careful not to say which feature or features Xbox is alone in adopting from RDNA2. They probably can't say because it would be revealing of info that's between AMD and Sony. We do know there's been hints here and there that certain things might have different implementations on PS5 (VRS, 'geometry engine' vs 'mesh shading') etc. and those are probably the areas where there is difference. Perhaps now that AMD has talked about RDNA2, Sony will also be freer to talk about what it took as is, and what it changed.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
i love how certain people are focusing on the one aspect that sony can confidently say they have an alternative for which is the ssd tech (and some form of ray tracing i guess) while completely ignoring all the other tech mentioned in this.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
That's exactly what it is......kinda

There was a DF video that went through and said Sony or MS could ask to have certain aspects removed or customized to their liking.

They got what they asked to have made. They wanted some stuff and didn't want other stuff.

I don't see this as a big deal

That doesn't make it RDNA 1.5 lol. Customizations would actually make it RDNA2+ or something.

It's normal for consoles to have customized solutions rather than using the standard vanilla architecture.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Folks gonna get on Microsoft for pointing out the features of their console again. Mainly because Sony refuses to go in depth with whatever implementations they have.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Github was right all along lol
Now there's a thought: the 2.01Ghz Game Clock (read: actual clock that the GPU targets in normal circumstances) for the 6900XT would be right in line with the GitHub claims, and the 2.25Ghz Boost Clock (read: maximum frequency AMD recorded during testing, not representitve of actual performance) basically confirms that Sony really is pushing their GPU chips to the outer edges to hit 2.23Ghz.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to quote Mark Cerny here from the Road to the PS5 video back in March. He spoke about this very topic -

"Before I get into the capabilites of the GPU, I'd like to make clear two points that can be quite confusing. First, we have a custom AMD GPU based on their RDNA 2 technology. What does that mean? AMD is continuously improving and revising their tech - for RDNA 2, their goals were, roughly speaking, to reduce power consumption by rearchitecting the GPU by putting data close to where its needed, to optimize the GPU for performance, and adding new advanced feature sets.

But that feature set is malleable. Which is to say that we have our own needs for Playstation, and that can factor into what the AMD roadmap becomes. So, collaboration is born. If we bring concepts to AMD that are felt to be widely useful, then they can be adopted into RDNA 2 and used broadly, including in PC GPUs. If the ideas are sufficiently specific to what we're trying to accomplish, like the GPU cache scrubbers I was talking about, then they end up being just for us. If you see a similar discrete GPU available as a PC card at roughly the same time as we release our console, that means our collaboration with AMD succeeded in producing technology useful in both worlds. It doesn't mean that we at Sony simply incorporated the PC part into our console."

The way I interpret this is that Sony decided to go with more custom solutions and refinements in their GPU design.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That isn't saying at all that both console are fully utilizing RDNA 2 though. In no way is it saying what you are implying...
Yeah. It says both are RDNA2.
PS5 won't have a few features because they are DX12 Ultimate features.
PS5/Sony will have their implementations/customizations for them.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
So both are RDNA2 machines, but XS X/S have the PC-centric features because Windows. Shocking.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Well, this is some console warrior bullshit

This is on AMD website

AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles. The groundbreaking RDNA architecture was first introduced at E3 2019, and since then has continuously evolved to spearhead the next generation of high performance gaming. It's the DNA that powers your games, the DNA that brings your games to life, the DNA that keeps evolvin
Microsoft is touting "full" implementation of the RDNA 2 feature set for their consoles, which is allegedly something Sony's consoles cannot boast. It's still RDNA 2 architecture, but it lacks some features that Microsoft is marketing in this article. It doesn't mean they don't have an equivalent though.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So if this part is accurate in terms of some of these features/functions, this could have some longer-term benefits in Microsoft's DirectML work:

Through close collaboration and partnership between Xbox and AMD, not only have we delivered on this promise, we have gone even further introducing additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution.

This isn't to say other hardware would be incapable of similar tasks, it's just that there's advantages if the same foundations are being widely used for Machine Learning and AI tasks. There was a demonstration from 2019 where a 540p video of Forza Horizon was adapted via DirectML to higher-res on-the-fly. The video quality is rubbish, but you can see at this part where they zoom-in the kind of enhancement they got in early testing:

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This means Xbox is getting the whole RDNA2 feature set directly from AMD. This means nothing in regards to PS5 not having their own custom implementation of the same features. Looking forward to Digital Foundry bringing the common sense to those who love feed into the PR.
PS5 is RDNA2 based, but Sony has their own custom implementations. It's not 1:1 to RDNA2 that AMD has on PC. MS using their smart wording again to attract some console warriors.
This is it. Exactly it.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is RDNA2 based, but Sony has their own custom implementations. It's not 1:1 to RDNA2 that AMD has on PC. MS using their smart wording again to attract some console warriors.

this!

man that tweet/marketing is making me think of all the misleading as fuck political ads that go around election time. It works too.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am not really in this tech talk. But doesnt the DX stuff makes the "only" happen.
I mean PS5 wont have that right? So its kinda a PR blurb in the end.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to quote Mark Cerny here from the Road to the PS5 video back in March. He spoke about this very topic -

"Before I get into the capabilites of the GPU, I'd like to make clear two points that can be quite confusing. First, we have a custom AMD GPU based on their RDNA 2 technology. What does that mean? AMD is continuously improving and revising their tech - for RDNA 2, their goals were, roughly speaking, to reduce power consumption by rearchitecting the GPU by putting data close to where its needed, to optimize the GPU for performance, and adding new advanced feature sets.

But that feature set is malleable. Which is to say that we have our own needs for Playstation, and that can factor into what the AMD roadmap becomes. So, collaboration is born. If we bring concepts to AMD that are felt to be widely useful, then they can be adopted into RDNA 2 and used broadly, including in PC GPUs. If the ideas are sufficiently specific to what we're trying to accomplish, like the GPU cache scrubbers I was talking about, then they end up being just for us. If you see a similar discrete GPU available as a PC card at roughly the same time as we release our console, that means our collaboration with AMD succeeded in producing technology useful in both worlds. It doesn't mean that we at Sony simply incorporated the PC part into our console."
This is the exact quote I was thinking of.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring
Kinda desperate from MS. We know PS5 is based off RDNA2 but they implemented their own I/O solution, whereas MS just stuck to the basics. Pathetic to claim that this means PS5 isn't RDNA2 when it obviously is.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Basically, PS5 is based on RDNA2 architecture. That means it has the performance and can go with those crazy clocks for example. The thing that MS is claiming, is that their RDNA2 is full because the PC graphics card has the same things XSX has, but in reality, this is because they use DirectX API. Sony does not use DirectX, it has their own graphical API. So, Sony can have their own version on these things, miss some or even have exclusive features.
To be fair so can MS, the problem here is Sony didn't really give a deep dive on what they are doing. It could be better or it could be worse, what MS is doing is capitalizing on that fact and trying to steer people to assume the worse.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I mean, MS touts ray tracing as a thing that makes them RDNA2. We know the PS5 has ray tracing. This is PR nonsense.

Honestly, I don't care if PS5 is rdna2 or gcn or whatever. I just can't stand the amount of people moving goalposts to suit their agenda. It drives me nuts.

This does not mean anything until I see next gen series x games running with clear advantage to those on PS5. Then I'll say X console is technically better than Y console. Until then, I will be playing the best looking exclusive lineup on PS5.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not really in this tech talk. But doesnt the DX stuff makes the "only" happen.
I mean PS5 wont have that right? So its kinda a PR blurb in the end.
Pretty much. It's what I'm saying. The DX12 Ultimate features are Xbox only in that (console) case.
And PS5 will have its of solutions.
Missing many features. It's based on RDNA1 with some RDNA2 bits. That was leaked online n months ago.
Wrong. It's RDNA2. Just stop right here with this nonsense.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Ties in with what one of the guys from DF said on here today that song haven't confirmed anything on VRS and the likes to them so I'd assume that's one of the features missing.

www.resetera.com

AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Reveal |OT| Hey. Listen! Choo! Choo! OT

We are sadly still not sure if PS5 supports other RDNA 2 things like full mesh shaders, SRS like function or VRS. :( Never heard back about it.

"We are sadly still not sure if PS5 supports other RDNA 2 things like full mesh shaders, SRS like function or VRS. :( Never heard back about it"
thanks for posting this.

Dictator what's your take on this?

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Drive-by trolling
Look at all the hand-waving going on in here and people trying to cover their ears and eyes...or just burying their head in the sand. Seems like that is the trend this upcoming generation when it comes to a lot of variables.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
It says "FULL" rdna 2. That means it uses all features. Not that the PS5 isn't an rdna 2 console. To my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong, the PS5 does not do VRS.