• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The dollar deal can only be used once. Surely we can move on from this. The % of people paying monthly will be in the 90s I guess. The rest will be those of us who paid in advance and brand new users on a trial.

Game sharing and multiple users on one console are also irrelevant because this is 10m subscriptions not 10m users.

Bang on. I'm subbed until the end of 2022. Basically, a higher value customer than 5 people buying a next gen console that only focuses on single player games, bought physically.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I love stuff like this. Gaming enthusiasts thinking everyone behaves and acts like they do. Most people I know subscribe to things and even forget to cancel if they aren't using it, and even if they are using it, are perfectly fine with it auto renewing whenever and charging their credit card. Most "casuals" are not hunting deals and finding ways to game the system. People realllllly need to step back and realize that the habits of people on an enthusiast forum are not indicative of the general populace.

Next you're going to say people actually like multiplayer games. /s

Consumers doing what's best for them have let to super one trillion corperations, where people with the most money can push prices to the bottum, kill the compitition and in the long run those rich people earn even more money from it.

Sony and Nintendo didn't make any money this gen?

Mad man Phil did it. He gonna turn game industry all into a subscription bases industry, where publishers have no choiche than to chose to bringing their games to gamepass, because devaluation will hit fast. If Lockhart not gonna have a disc drive, it will confirm that his is how Microsoft want to be dominant player, in the same way as Netflix, where they decide what players gonna play.

This is a gem of a response where we live in the fantasy world where as soon as Microsoft gets some momentum all of the sudden Nintendo, Sony and everyone else will stop making good games. Yes, let's ignore what services like Playstation Plus can do for titles such as Driveclub where a poor launch would normally kill a title yet ended up being loved by the community. Or a game like Resogun and Rocket League who used promotions and services to catapult their titles.

Good news for you is this doom and gloom attititude has been going on for many years and will likely continue for many more. I heard xCloud will soon be your only option too. /s

People bitch about Microsoft's reluctance of releasing numbers and think it's all because they aren't very good, then the moment they do they don't like them and feel Microsoft will control the world.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
i didn't mean to make the service itself look bad, just point out how much the masses care about it
Even taking out my guesses, the fact that at least 80% of the Xbox users didn't even spend 1$ in their life for it remains

But the 20 percent is monthly users. Not a total of everyone that has tried to service. A lot of that 80 percent will have tried the trial. They aren't in the 10m figure.

Any service that has a 20 percent attach rate is doing insanely well.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im curious about how Sony will respond. Surely they don't need to, but as we move to a new generation, this could really bolster the value proposition of the new Xbox in way that would be tough to counter - especially if both consoles are similarly priced.

If Sony were to undercut that leverage with their own service, it should would be something!

As a gamer, I'm drooling at the thought of being able to get this sort of thing from both parties.
I don't see how they want to undercut it, unless they put their best games on the service. Otherwise these services live with the third party games and indies and unless Sony goes deep pocket like MS psnow will be worse.

Deleted member 64517

Banned
Mar 14, 2020
Game Pass (and subscriptions in general) are seen by some as the beginning of the end for game ownership (physical or otherwise) and collections.

I had no idea Game Pass was this successful. This is some real momentum going into the launch of the Series X.
I think it will be alot bigger when it rolls out to xcloud. I still like to buy Physical media but it's the direction the entertainment industry is heading in.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
One way of looking at it - suppose a console has a 100 million install base.... take the absolute monster blockbuster game on the system - it sells 15 to 20 million copies, no one would call that anything but a huge success, despite the fact that 80 to 85% of the install base never touched it.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I signed up in March for $1 to play Gears 5 and then I cancelled before it renewed. I wonder how many of these are renewing subscriptions?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I signed up in March for $1 to play Gears 5 and then I cancelled before it renewed. I wonder how many of these are renewing subscriptions?

I'm sure a lot of people do that. But this is about current subscribers. So while you could be in the figure for this quarter, you'd be out the next. Just how Netflix shows their subscriber numbers.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL at the "GamePass has to be failing financially" truthers that come out in these threads...tomorrow they'll go back to acting like MS has been hiding these numbers 🤣

Sure...subscriber growth ONLY happened because of $1 deals...that's how it works...and btw, even if everyone paid $1, that's still $10 million dollars a month that would be zero dollars a month without GamePass.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that anyone would continue to concern troll Xbox over stuff like this is hilarious. Xbox Game Pass is the best thing to happen for gamers this whole generation, and millions of us will be enjoying the full Xbox Series X launch lineup as part of this subscription instead of having to spend another $120 or $180 on games at launch. Amazing times to be an Xbox gamer!

Yes, gonna buy a Xbox Series X Day1 because of Game Pass.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Platform warring, multiple prior bans for platform warring
90 million active users is such a useless metric. How many are gold subs?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
People's determination to spin any positive Microsoft news into something bad is fascinating.

Sony and Nintendo have had a fantastic generation and it has resulted in some of the best games ever. Why is the thought of another company seeing success, bringing great games and services and pushing it's competitors to be better a bad thing?

Last edited:

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
After Streets of Rage 4, wonder if MS is going to go after more big third party games for day one?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
After Streets of Rage 4, wonder if MS is going to go after more big third party games for day one?

Streets of Rage 4 is about the same level as other third party games they've had day one. Stuff like Outer Wilds, Mutant Year Zero, Void Bastards, The Good Life etc. It's fairly busness as usual.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That they're talking about this loudly to investors means that they have no plan on stopping.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox will almost certainly becoming my primary console next gen after being very disappointed with them this gen and selling im XB1 after 1 year. I am already holding back purchasing some games such as Streets of Rage that I know are on game pass.

But I would much prefer to pay an annual subscription rather than monthly. Is this an option for game pass?

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
This is excellent news Game Pass has exceeded my expectations. 10 million subs is quite a feat which tells me Microsoft is good at the subscription business, and they have the ability to bundle multiple subscriptions. Wall Street loves digital services with large userbases and Microsoft has always been great at keeping their stock performing well. Proud investor here :)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
this means 80% of Xbox users (more likely around 90% since the is PC too) didn't even want to spend 1$ for it. I would bet not more than a 6-7% have actually spent the monthly 10$ more than once
Services still look very far to be a console selling point

This Math is quite silly. Many subscriptions services offer a $0 promotional period, then people stick around after seeing the value first hand. Does this people dont want to pay $0? No it means "try before you buy" is a proven business practice.

It would be all but impossible to reach 10million subscribers, if 93-94% are quitting after the promotion. MS' numbers means high retention.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Math is quite silly. Many subscriptions services offer a $0 promotional period, then people stick around after seeing the value first hand. Does this people dont want to pay $0? No it means "try before you buy" is a proven business practice.

It would be all but impossible to reach 10million subscribers, if 93-94% are quitting after the promotion. MS' numbers means high retention.

If Sea of Thieves didn't cull all the free trial periods then Gears 5 certainly finished them off!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they want to undercut it, unless they put their best games on the service. Otherwise these services live with the third party games and indies and unless Sony goes deep pocket like MS psnow will be worse.

Yeah that's exactly how they undercut it.

If MS' can dangle their entire first party on a $10 carrot in order to sway people away from Sony towards xbox. They surely a similar carrot from Sony would get those people to stay and maybe get even more people to leave xbox.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox will almost certainly becoming my primary console next gen after being very disappointed with them this gen and selling im XB1 after 1 year. I am already holding back purchasing some games such as Streets of Rage that I know are on game pass.

But I would much prefer to pay an annual subscription rather than monthly. Is this an option for game pass?

I don't believe you can buy annual Game Pass Ultimate subs but you can buy 3 month subs and stack them. No need to keep paying a monthly direct debit. Just buy a bunch of 3 month codes from Amazon or whatever. They'll just extend when you next have to pay.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
I think this is besides the point. Whether or not you're PAYING for Game Pass is certainly an important factor and number, but it is NOT the main value of Game Pass to Microsoft. Game Pass does not need to break even to be a highly valuable and even "profitable" part of the portfolio. If you're one of 10 million subscribers, does that make it easier to find an audience for the niche game you're considering launching onto Game Pass? Yes. Does it make it easier to cater to a wide range of people who will stay within the ecosystem and keep the brand in play? Yes. Does it mean that continuing to fund a wide array of 1st party games can be justified - even if they don't sell a few million copies? An emphatic yes.

Game Pass has the potential to change the industry. That can be for negative reasons, but I think it also enables a ton of really cool trends, as well. All that said, Phil's been as clear as he can be that Game Pass makes financial sense too.
Yes, I know that. I was just replying to that "real numbers" thing, cause this is something we'll never know. There's 10+ million now, but we don't know (and don't need to know) how much money those 10+ million subscribers generated in march, cause people can pay monthly, use special offers, pay upfront, upgrade an Xbox Live Gold subscription, etc. There are so many variables.

I'm loving to see different games being funded and finding their public on Game Pass. Like, Psychonauts 2, the original is one of the best games i've ever played and I'm happy that more people are gonna play the sequel now that it'll launch on the service, have a marketing push from Microsoft.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

There is. If you go from the subscriptions page on a web browser you can even get 24 months

Wouldnt rec it though, youd miss a lot of good deals by picking a huge chunk at once like that, but its up to you and whats more convenient for you

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The dollar deal can only be used once. Surely we can move on from this. The % of people paying monthly will be in the 90s I guess. The rest will be those of us who paid in advance and brand new users on a trial.
I've personally used the dollar deal at least five times since 2018. It at least used to be for those who were currently not subscribed, not those who had never been subscribed. Not sure how it is now since I did the convert Gold to GPU thingy.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
twitter.com

Benji-Sales on Twitter

“@ThunderhornCEO Its active current subscribers”

So I take it this means paying subs and not those coming from 1$ deals and whatnot?

Depends on how long ago the user took the deal and for how long the deal was for. It would still include all those who upgraded their Gold subs to Game Pass Ultimate for $1/£1 though. As far as I know that offer is still running even today, though there's no way of knowing what volume of that 10m did that particular offer or upgrade.

www.xbox.com

Upgrade Your Xbox Live Gold Membership to Ultimate | Xbox

Upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and receive great benefits.

You can also convert it a second time too for those that missed out on stacking.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm subbed till end of 2022, so getting a XSX is almost a no brainer for me (unless what is still to be announced on the XSX in the coming months will be disappointing).

My first world problem is going multi-platform or not with next gen, as i am currently invested in the PlayStation economy when it comes to consoles...

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
GamePass is the future.

Meh. I like Gamepass, but I also like keeping hold of my games. With Gamepass, third party titles enter and leave the service on a monthly basis. When it leaves the service, you have no choice but to purchase it.

I love it as a rental service, allowing me to try games to see if their worth my money, but it's current model is certainly not the future.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
There is. If you go from the subscriptions page on a web browser you can even get 24 months

True, and at least the GPU seems to get more expensive the more you pay upfront:
1 month - 12,99€
3 months - 38,99€ (~13/month)
6 months - 78,99€ (~13,165/month)
12 months - 157,99€ (~13,166/month)
24 months - 314,99€ (~13,125/month)

(luckily my next GPU sub charge is on 28/02/2023).

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Those are very strong numbers. You have to imagine Sony and Nintendo are looking at this very closely. I guess the issue is that when you've got titles like Animal Crossing and Spider-Man doing extraordinary numbers at retail, it's difficult to "give up" that money in favour of a subscription -- even if a subscription may mean more income in the long-run.

They'll definitely be crunching the numbers.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Meh. I like Gamepass, but I also like keeping hold of my games. With Gamepass, third party titles enter and leave the service on a monthly basis. When it leaves the service, you have no choice but to purchase it.

I love it as a rental service, allowing me to try games to see if their worth my money, but it's current model is certainly not the future.

How many games do you buy because of Game Pass?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Of course it's the future and it's beyond the Netflix of gaming. Netflix doesn't give you a 20% discount to purchase movies that are leaving.

GTAV is leaving soon, but that's not the norm for third party time on there. Wolfenstein The New Order has been on there for like a year it feels like and it's finally leaving.

Plus whatever game Microsoft is making for next gen will be on there forever.