• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Good for them. It's kinda of shame they messed up so badly in the very beginning of the generation in terms of publicity, otherwise i think they would be pretty even, if not ahead of Sony in the west.
They have certainly changed direction for the better but I think part of that was outside pressure from fans and the media and its competitors doing a better job frankly. They still have a ways to go in getting their AAA titles to where Nintendo and Sony are at but yes, they have righted the ship.

gamstat

Mar 17, 2019
3. XBL security and quality control. (If XBL goes down it isn't a long period of time).
Ironic.

irony.png

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well they have numbers now , what's next? Back to how does it make. Money?
Well, that subscriber count and the type of games they are releasing right now (basically smaller games day one and bigger 3rd party games only a few months after launch) pretty much guarantees they are not losing money. Once the promos expire that's pretty much 1.2 bi/year in revenue already and while there may be many with discounts and deals, it's also clear how even a fraction of that could cover the added library.

That might not be the case when/if they start putting bigger 3rd party games on the service sooner or expand their first party even more. But I assume with the stream of 1st party content plus the 60 or so independent games launching day one they announced at x19 will get the subscription rate increasing well through 2020.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The majority is either paying full price or they purchased tons of xbox live in advance. Either way, MS is pulling a lot of revenue.
I doubt the majority is paying full price at all, they do have a tons of xbox live in advance but that doesn't mean people are paying full price.

and you know this how?
Anadoctal but if you believe people are paying full price than you are a complete fool. It's easy to find deals on live constantly and has been for a decade.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt the majority is paying full price at all, they do have a tons of xbox live in advance but that doesn't mean people are paying full price.

Anadoctal but if you believe people are paying full price than you are a complete fool. It's easy to find deals on live constantly and has been for a decade.
I doubt that you are right but it ultimately doesn't matter.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

what an interesting comment. 🧐

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

It doesn't really matter right now, as others have stated it's not meant to be profitable at the moment.

Two key things in all of this.
- Satya Nadella seems pleased with the numbers so far, that's what he cares about is growth.
- Revenue overall for Microsoft was $35.0 billion and increased 15%.

There is a far greater plan in place and Game Pass is a part of it, and since he took over as CEO Microsoft's market value has grown substancially. This is why console sales don't tell the whole story.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
can you imagine if microsoft puts gamepass on the switch and ps5 for $20 a month . those number will be crazy. Easy 50 - 75 million subscribers

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I'm happy to see the Gamepass success. I happen to pay full price for the service and find it to be a great value. If I find a game on there that I really enjoy I'll also still buy it as a way to show appreciation and support for the developer, even get a discount on it too.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
There is a far greater plan in place and Game Pass is a part of it, and since he took over as CEO Microsoft's market value has grown substancially. This is why console sales don't tell the whole story.

So many people on this site talk about Microsoft as if Ballmer, Myerson, and Mattrick are still running things, like they haven't seen what Microsoft's financials post-Ballmer have looked like.

I tell ya, a lot of people around here are going to self-destruct their accounts over Microsoft in the next few years.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
lol at the people thinking everyone is scavenging for Xbox live deals and shit lol

I'm frequently on Resetera and I don't even scavenge.

Every other service under the sun has deals as well.

Such a silly talking point.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Things that help me keep the service:

1. No fear that a game will be shut down.
2. GWG quality
3. XBL security and quality control. (If XBL goes down it isn't a long period of time).
I agree . They've done such a great job with security right from the very beginning. They have downtimes now and then but generally XBL remains very reliable. we should see even more improvements to the service next gen.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
10 million does sound good, but I'll be more curious to see their numbers a year from now, and seeing if they're still running ultra aggressive promotions to keep people subscribed.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 million does sound good, but I'll be more curious to see their numbers a year from now, and seeing if they're still running ultra aggressive promotions to keep people subscribed.
With next gen in a few months, more then likely boost those numbers significantly.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So many people on this site talk about Microsoft as if Ballmer, Myerson, and Mattrick are still running things, like they haven't seen what Microsoft's financials post-Ballmer have looked like.

I tell ya, a lot of people around here are going to self-destruct their accounts over Microsoft in the next few years.
Oh yeah, there are still people out there going on about how Windows Store is anti-consumer and how Game Pass is going to hurt the industry. Meanwhile they went from Xbox only to now supporting Steam for some of their titles, while investing heavily in their BC program and even working with Nintendo. This attitude has already taken place under the new CEO and has trickled down to gaming.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never thought I would say this but, shutting down the original XBL was the best thing MS could have done. This shut down allowed MS to add changes to XBL in ways we never thought would be needed. This was a bold move and MS took alot of heat for it. Now see what XBL is capable of doing: greater membership, better interaction, access to Xbox games old and new, Cross-gen gaming, cross platform gaming, better purchasing options, and access to streaming abilities. MS did the right thing and now it showing in spades, instead of trying to tie old servers together....

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I basically stopped buying games except on the Switch due to gamepass. It's that good and while I occasionally check out Steam to see what's trending I just go back to gamepass in the end.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think Sony, Nintendo and other companies that aren't aggressively invested in subscription/cloud gaming have missed the boat.

Sony clearly is invested in cloud gaming. In fact they've been invested for almost this entire generation. They launched their service in 2014.

Streaming wars has already started, despite not being ready.

See above. Your points here are simply not true.

The only route Sony, Nintendo can realistically take is cannibalising their Console market to grow their service.

Except Sony and Nintendo are extremely healthy as far as gaming goes. This narrative that you are pushing is false. Cloud gaming at this point in time is an additive service, look at Stadia, a service that only offers cloud gaming, to see this in action currently.

Edit: It's the typical zero sum argument that happens on here.

Playing my game pass games on my iPad Pro through xcloud is gonna be the fucking dream. I cannot wait

I'll be curious on smaller screen sizes how games are dealt with. Text in console games can be inconsistent. Something like the iPad Pro will be fine I'm sure, but phones I am curious about.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Im curious how many of that 10 million are on the $1 ultimate deal. I've run into more people who are paying for gamepass at regular price than taking advantage of the offer. Online discussion boards rarely reflect real world sales.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably pick up an XSS for Gamepass. The Xcloud integration coming up also seems insanely good.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be curious on smaller screen sizes how games are dealt with. Text in console games can be inconsistent. Something like the iPad Pro will be fine I'm sure, but phones I am curious about.

Sign up for xcloud preview and find out. I played mcc on my iPhone 11. I'm sure if it was a real big issue, we'd definitely hear about it already.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
User Banned (2 weeks): platform warring and concern trolling
Im curious how many of that 10 million are on the $1 ultimate deal. I've run into more people who are paying for gamepass at regular price than taking advantage of the offer. Online discussion boards rarely reflect real world sales.

Then they should have no issue showing revenue numbers from the actual service across PC/Xbox right? The quarterly someone posted showed only 2% increase for xbox and services so....

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then they should have no issue showing revenue numbers from the actual service across PC/Xbox right? The quarterly someone posted showed only 2% increase for xbox and services so....
Up on their projection of negative double digits during this time, and Phil did say in his last interview with IGN that "everything was up", so it checks out.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would suspect a great number of people buying the next Xbox at launch will already be subscribers, myself included.
I'm thinking quite a few hardcore that didn't game on Xbox will be coming over, PS4 gamers (that used to game on 360) in particular. New consoles are expensive, if MS are matching PS5 price, + power advantage + sub fee for all next gen launch games, lots of potential for new subs to be created on that day.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I would suspect a great number of people buying the next Xbox at launch will already be subscribers, myself included.

Probably, but I also suspect Game Pass will suddenly look a lot more attractive to any holdouts when they've just dropped $500+tax (or whatever) on a new console, and can play all of the first-party launch titles for $1 (or even free if there's a code in the box), rather than dropping $60+ more dollars

Same for any parents buying for Christmas, who see it as a value-add to have 200+ games for their kid out of the box - including "The Halo".

At any rate, I expect there to be a Game Pass code in the box with every Xbox console this holiday - maybe for up to three months of Game Pass.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
coz The Pass is Not profitable yet and the reason is because MS/Xbox spent a lot of money on the service see how much big AAA Games they got these 2 years

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Interesting news. Lots of people on teams more than even due to working from home. Most companies who used skype for internal communications moved on to teams. Really awesome to see Gamepass doing so well.

They also mentioned that Microsoft 365 is lying at around 258 million seats which is insane.
It makes too much sense. I used to do email admin for small businesses and that was a full time job by itself. Then there are the drive by license audits forcing non-compliant companies to go to Office 365.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
By contracts, do you mean licensing costs to third parties? I think day one launch releases are probably quite costly, but slightly older titles probably considerably less so.

Games ultimately have peak selling periods, after which heavy sales are often required to maintain even a semblance of the original launch sales, so older titles are going to be much cheaper just on that basis. Add to that, if Microsoft has data to show that Game Pass inclusion can add additional DLC and microtransactions revenue for third party pubs, that could offset any potential lost retail sales or value third party pubs think they might face.

That being said, I have no idea how likely it is people will buy DLC or microtransactions for older games, or even newer ones for that matter, and have to imagine the percentage of gamers that actually invest in microtransactions is fairly low, at least in the bulk of games anyway, but who really knows.

Im sure the percentage of subs that download dlc is "low" but it's a low effort boost to their revenues that would otherwise be at the bottom of a cliff

As is the case with most comparable subscription services, most people dont bother with constant bargain hunting. In fact, they are properly priced when the sub itself feels like a bargain. Generally, when the promotion expires, if they like it they keep it. If they dont like it, they cancel... if they remember to.

Apparently, people like GP.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hostility and aggression? Lol

Exactly. MS is being paid either way and that 10mill + subs is very impressive too.
I wasn't meaning to be hostile to you and I apologize but I was just making the point that I don't believe for a second that the majority are paying full price. 10 million is a good number and depending how they handle it I could see it going up by a decent margin even if I am not the biggest fan of gamepass.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure the percentage of subs that download dlc is "low" but

As is the case with most comparable subscription services, most people dont bother with constant bargain hunting. In fact, they are properly priced when the sub itself feels like a bargain. General when the promotion expires, if they like it they keep it. If they dont like it, they cancel... of they remember to.

Apparently, people like GP.
I love stuff like this. Gaming enthusiasts thinking everyone behaves and acts like they do. Most people I know subscribe to things and even forget to cancel if they aren't using it, and even if they are using it, are perfectly fine with it auto renewing whenever and charging their credit card. Most "casuals" are not hunting deals and finding ways to game the system. People realllllly need to step back and realize that the habits of people on an enthusiast forum are not indicative of the general populace.