• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: Twitch appears to have now banned MrDeadMoth permanently.

Yep he's gone.

Hopefully that is the end to one of the biggest Twitch blunders in recent memory.

Original OP below:

---

Note: There was already a thread on this topic that was locked because it was derailed and couldn't get back on track. I feel that this news is important and should be known, so this thread was made to replace the old one with permission from an Admin. Please focus on the topic at hand.

You may have read a story a few weeks ago about a Fortnite streamer, MrDeadMoth, who attacked his wife during a stream. Essentially, his wife yelled and appears to have thrown a box at MrDeadMoth, who eventually gets up, and a hard slap is heard off camera. His wife is heard screaming "He just hit me in the face!" He was arrested for common assault by local police.

Articles on the situation are here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/crim...asting-womans-screams/?utm_term=.0dafa02bfb89 https://kotaku.com/man-arrested-for-alleged-domestic-abuse-recorded-during-1830985755

After news outlets started covering the story, MrDeadMoth's Twitch account was deactivated. It is unclear whether he did this himself or he was banned, but regardless, his account is now active on Twitch and he hosted a stream on New Year's Eve to push "positivity," because of course. It hasn't even been a month since the incident occurred.

I honestly think this is unacceptable. The fact that he wasn't permabanned in the first place is absurd. I can't figure out if Twitch just assumed he wouldn't be coming back after he deactivated, or if they did really just give him a two week ban for something as grave as domestic abuse. Is Twitch just allowing a slap on the wrist for anything now?

(Thanks to ScribbleD for making the original thread)

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

You would think if nothing else, beating your wife live on their service would earn you a permanent ban.

I know it sure as fuck would on mine if I was running one.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the "ban until people stop talking about it then quietly unban" strategy twitch is so fond of for anyone that makes alot of money for them. Corporate Twitch is a joke. Feel bad for the staff that actually care about the site.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Ah, the "ban until people stop talking about it then quietly unban" strategy twitch is so fond of for anyone that makes alot of money for them. Corporate Twitch is a joke. Feel bad for the staff that actually care about the site.
Again, this dude isn't an influencer or anything. He had like 100 followers iirc.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Video Games: Empowering pieces of shit since 2014 (or earlier).

I know it's not video games themselves but this fucking "community"/industry needs to take a hard fucking look at itself and decide whether or not it wants to stand with everyone or stew with the few. I don't know that statistics, and being the optimist I am I'd like to think that the majority of "gamers" lean towards a more positive, inclusive atmosphere but it's always the shitbags that make the news.

Reset is a vocal few. Our reach is limited to ourselves and the few lurkers that visit the site. Gaming has grown to an incredible size and the potential to bring positive environments has never been bigger. Sure, it's nigh impossible to convince everyone within it's space to be a beacon of hope and understanding but it behooves those that do (Twitch, Youtube, Steam, etc) to do the right thing and shut these people down.

Instead they look at dollar signs and think only of their bottom line instead of the bigger picture and it's absolutely destroying the landscape. I'm deleting my twitch account on behalf of this. If Twitch decides to ban this guy then I'll reactivate it but until then, I'm done. I'm not supporting this behavior and I implore all of you to do the same.

Jesus pumpkin christ, is it so hard to say get bent shit heads, we don't want you?

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should tattoo a wife beater shirt into this piece of shit. Having the gall to market Positivity.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I should just start streaming, steal his audience and teach those viewers how to respect not only women, but to everyone.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch doesn't care. They will advocate for anything that makes them money.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell do you even have to do to get a perm ban on twitch? How is this guy even allowed to stream for the platform. Don't give the bullshit excuse oh he makes them money because he barely even had a following prior to this incident.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
If Twitch decides to ban this guy then I'll reactivate it but until then, I'm done. I'm not supporting this behavior and I implore all of you to do the same.

Jesus pumpkin christ, is it so hard to say get bent shit heads, we don't want you?

Yeah, gamers need to stop giving shitty companies more and more power. YouTube and Twitch's relevancy in gaming exists solely because of gamers using their services.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand any positive outcome for Twitch from this entire scenario?

Just ban him. It's that simple. He wasn't a PewDiePie-esque mega-figure on their platform that brought them millions of users/actual financial gain. He was just some low-level streamer with 100 or so subs right?

If Twitch went to ban him and he already deactivated his account; fine. But they should have stopped the account being reactivated in the first place, or instantly banned upon reactivation.

Like what possible gain could Twitch have from letting him continue to stream? None at all. There isn't any financial or social standing gain at all.

This is literally Twitch just being lax. They need to sort their house immediately. They have enough problems as is without not banning (or possibly unbanning) someone who beat their wife and broadcasted it on their platform.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still say this is so very fucked up and Twitch even shows some hints of racism at times with this, Etika gets perma banned off twitch for using the word Nigga on his stream but this guy who beats his wife on stream was only banned for barely TWO WEEKS. This is messed up on so many levels sadly I do not expect twitch to even care about this.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I still say this is so very fucked up and Twitch even shows some hints of racism at times with this, Etika gets perma banned off twitch for using the word Nigga on his stream but this guy who beats his wife on stream was only banned for barely TWO WEEKS. This is messed up on so many levels sadly I do not expect twitch to even care about this.

Didn't he get banned for using "faggot"?

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he get banned for using "faggot"?

I do not remember hearing him use that word during his brief stream but I do remember him constantly using the word Nigga as a normal word and Twitch has shown in the past they will drop the hammer on people who use that word. It's why alot of people self censor on twitch out of fear of a ban hammer hitting them.

Getting back on topic is there any actual way to put in complaints to Twitch for doing this? While I may not have any faith on them listening and actually banning the guy it could be worth it to try to get a comment out of them.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least he only has 493 followers on Twitter. Can't have too many more subscribers.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait, so did anyone watch the stream, did he comment on this?

if i had to make an optimistic guess, he personally deactivated his account and twitch didn't ban him for some reason, but he reactivated it like bronsonlee said and twitch is either out of the office this week or there is operating on a skeleton crew.

realistic guess is twitch is asleep at the wheel

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Whataboutism and inflammatory thread derailment surrounding domestic abuse
Should put in the OP that they constantly abused each other and was not a one way thing.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be positive ?
Sure, I'm positive that this guy is a big piece of shit.
How the hell did he get unbanned ?

Jan 2, 2019
I have to agree with what someone else said, Etika gets perma banned for a few words he uses in obvious jest with no ill intent while someone being abusive on camera is okay is just.. fucking dumb.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I do not remember hearing him use that word during his brief stream but I do remember him constantly using the word Nigga as a normal word and Twitch has shown in the past they will drop the hammer on people who use that word. It's why alot of people self censor on twitch out of fear of a ban hammer hitting them.

Getting back on topic is there any actual way to put in complaints to Twitch for doing this? While I may not have any faith on them listening and actually banning the guy it could be worth it to try to get a comment out of them.

I have to agree with what someone else said, Etika gets perma banned for a few words he uses in obvious jest with no ill intent while someone being abusive on camera is okay is just.. fucking dumb.

Nah man, Etika used the word faggot so yea, he deserved that ban.

And his latest episode when he deleted his YouTube account also shows how comfortable he is using slurs like that, so it's not like you can say that he's using it accidentally or "in jest" anything like that.

Additionally, is it even okay to use that kind of word even "in jest"? Nahhhhh.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
About as relevant as posts saying "they should tattoo wife beater on him"
I'm not here to defend him in anyway, I'm just saying that people should have the full story in front of them.

And yes he should of been perma banned.
It did sound a bit two way when the last one started with a box throwing

Doesn't sound like this was a one off thing at all

People gonna people, shouldn't be acceptable on any video services though

That said abuse can present in complex ways, who knows what is happening behind the scenes. Definitely needs some assistance for both parties though.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Before we worry about his Twitch, what actually did the authorities do in real life about this incident? Isn't that more important

Jan 2, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing the use of homophobic language and slurs
Nah man, Etika used the word faggot so yea, he deserved that ban.

And his latest episode when he deleted his YouTube account also shows how comfortable he is using slurs like that, so it's not like you can say that he's using it accidentally or "in jest" anything like that.

Additionally, is it even okay to use that kind of word even "in jest"? Nahhhhh.
i think the intent of what he's saying is important vs just what the word is.

but you are allowed to think what you want. /shrug

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
About as relevant as posts saying "they should tattoo wife beater on him"
I'm not here to defend him in anyway, I'm just saying that people should have the full story in front of them.

And yes he should of been perma banned.

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

But yeah, I agree.
We should put in the OP the full story behind it:
The terrible wife was abusing him by throwing an empty, folded, lethal cardboard because his poor abused Gamer husband was just relaxing to play Fortnite. That's why he punched her in the face. I think in the end, both sides have their share of flaws in that story.