• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If you think both Jobs and Stewart were pivotal, then MrBeast might also be pivotal. Personalities are brands, sometimes there is a product brand (apple) that is as big as the personality brand (jobs) that a business can sustain itself off the product brand. My guess is no such brand exists for the MrBeast channel but that is not fixed in stone.

That's fair. And we did talk about a bunch of unknowables and such with regards to such a new industry.

So that rolls back to the question I asked you before - if someone who creates a self-sustaining business is less valuable.

You said yes. It seems to me like the opposite of the point you wanted to make. Since with all of this in mind, Mr. Beast is more valuable than his employees, and Jobs would be as well.

Since their employees aren't needed in order to make their businesses a success (an employee is needed, but who it is would be replaceable). That doesn't seem like your usual thing, so I wanted some clarity there.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
97 Million? Goddamn. He deserves it. He's a good person and is definitely a hard worker too.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So that rolls back to the question I asked you before - if someone who creates a self-sustaining business is less valuable.
I think I see the point of contention here. You think the MrBeast channel is a self-sustaining business. I do not. I think MrBeast is vital to the MrBeast business.
That doesn't seem like your usual thing, so I wanted some clarity there.
I think you misunderstand what my "usual thing" is. My "thing" isn't "rah rah eat the rich" though I admit there is a lot of that. My "thing" is people should be duly compensated for the full value of their labor. MrBeast is valuable, as a brand, to the MrBeast channel, therefore I see very little wrong with him being compensated to the extent that he is. The fact that society apparently values entertainers more than it does nurses or teachers indeed annoys me, but it is a different problem and a different discussion. On the other hand, there are a lot of highly paid executives that are merely replaceable parts and they're paid out of proportion to their theoretical social value. And don't even get me started on landlords.

I just want valuable labor to be compensated in proportion to its social usefulness. Entertainment is valued very highly in modern society. I generally do not mind entertainers being paid handsomely. Human society needs entertainers, it does not really need business executives. They are superfluous, ironically, they are more superfluous the more sophisticated their business is.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I see the point of contention here. You think the MrBeast channel is a self-sustaining business. I do not. I think MrBeast is vital to the MrBeast business.

I think you misunderstand what my "usual thing" is. My "thing" isn't "rah rah eat the rich" though I admit there is a lot of that. My "thing" is people should be duly compensated for the full value of their labor. MrBeast is valuable, as a brand, to the MrBeast channel, therefore I see very little wrong with him being compensated to the extent that he is. The fact that society apparently values entertainers more than it does nurses or teachers indeed annoys me, but it is a different problem and a different discussion. On the other hand, there are a lot of highly paid executives that are merely replaceable parts and they're paid out of proportion to their theoretical social value. And don't even get me started on landlords.

I just want valuable labor to be compensated in proportion to its social usefulness. Entertainment is valued very highly in modern society. I generally do not mind entertainers being paid handsomely. Human society needs entertainers, it does not really need business executives. They are superfluous, ironically, they are more superfluous the more sophisticated their business is.

I think I understand what you're saying.

What I was trying to establish was that I didn't think MrBeast was any more valuable than some CEOs. Not that he wasn't important, but that he wasn't any more important.

I'll admit that there are many executives who fit your definition in that they're reasonably easy to replace.

To that end, I can agree with much of what you're saying.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It sounds like this guy supplments his youtube earnings with other business ventures built AROUND his youtube career, so it's entirely possible he does make more than PewDiePie. But to be honest I'm not sure how much PDP makes, I stopped paying attention to him years ago for obvious reasons.
most people who make money off youtube is just the youtube is pure advertising for the actual thing their business is. it's why those awful baking/cooking channels exist. only people making money sheer views are the kids semi-automatic generated content

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
What the FUCK?!!!!! That's sounds higher than anything Pewdiepie has ever made? Alright I need to start a YouTube channel but what the fuck would I do? I'm not attractive enough or have that dream life that so many YouTube vloggers have.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
What the FUCK?!!!!! That's sounds higher than anything Pewdiepie has ever made? Alright I need to start a YouTube channel but what the fuck would I do? I'm not attractive enough or have that dream life that so many YouTube vloggers have.
Everyone wants to start one. It's not about being attractive, it's about timing and luck... and charisma, and a million other variables.

Trust me I've made billions already in my imaginary YouTube channel.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

Checked his channel and he had this uploaded recently. Pretty impressive.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Deserved. He's a good guy, works super hard and is going to start opening food banks and the majority of his videos are just helping people. If this funds a bunch of well meaning projects (which it undoubtedly will) then I'm all for it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Bro this man is 22 and earns more than 99.9999% of people itt will earn in their lifetime. God I was born at the wrong time.

Don't worry; most 22 year olds are likely either 1) struggling to keep their jobs as entire industries are decimated from COVID/economic crash or 2) struggling to find a job at all beyond menial, now-dangerous retail work.

I mean if there's any generation to envy it's not the one who's adult lives began during a mass global pandemic and will end during extreme global climate change.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Him earning this kind of money shows that you don't need to an obnoxious asshole to become famous. He is a good counterbalance to all these pranksters he is running circles around imo and if just a few followers learn something about compassion then it's worth it imo. People looking up to him instead of Jake Paul and co is a net win

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for him ofc. I truly envy him, looks like a cool "job". He gets to hang out with his friends, make other peoples live better and get payed.

It took him years to get here right?

Jun 22, 2019
It scares me how people think anyone deserves 97 million/year... ...unless your world view is that everyone should be a billionaire at all times (which I refuse to believe anyone consistently views the world through that lens). Seeing all those comments here made me dissociate super hard. Yikes.

(As an FYI, I know nothing of the guy besides his basic premise/schtick; good for him if he's not a milkshake duck.)

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
mr. beast gets about double the views of pewdiepie while being more advertiser friendly. pewdiepie i think lost a lot of the premium advertiser due to a couple of scandals. mr beast also moves merch like crazy.

these figures are estimates though so i wouldn't take them too seriously.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Its really fascinating how he got to where he is now.

Just checking out his earlier videos, they're all boring and awful, and they're like 30k views minimum each (I'm sure most got bumps due to his current popularity, but still)

He must have been at like a couple hundred subs / couple thousands, until one video became massively viral and then he just rode that hype train to the bank..

No hate whatsoever, mad jelly though lol

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
10M views in a two-day-old video on his non-main channel lol.

*Cries in a corner*

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually watching the video: it's entirely estimation, and some of the figures used does not pass the smell test (in particular, the claimed that 20% of the people that goes to Mr Beast's merch store buys something).

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hard to dislike the guy, considering he gives roughly half of his earnings away throughout the year. Some people may criticize him for not going through charities with his donations, but the negative with charities is only a % of what you donate to charity goes to those causes due to overhead, staff payments, marketing etc. There's no way he can do what he does with youtube ad revenue alone, he's a merchandising king. His latest stream of revenue is coming via ghost kitchens 300+ across the US by introducing his own line of fast food burgers.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Does anyone know what his parents do for a living? I did a quick google search but didn't see it.

I'm trying to decide of he earned all this and worked for what he had or if his parents are rich, carried him and nothing he achieved counts. I lack date to decide on one or the other currently.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
If he worked for a thousand years, he would still have less than Mr Bezos.

Let that sink in.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know what his parents do for a living? I did a quick google search but didn't see it.

I'm trying to decide of he earned all this and worked for what he had or if his parents are rich, carried him and nothing he achieved counts. I lack date to decide on one or the other currently.

In earlier videos he paid off his parents house. They weren't super well off. I'm pretty sure until recently his mom was his manager. He would have to run spending money by her.

He got big buy doing insane shit like sitting down and reading a dictionary through, Spinning a Fidget Spinner for 24 hours straight, Listening to X song for 24 hours straight, Counting to 1 Million, etc. It just snowballed because people would be in awe of the shit he would do and would click the videos. As soon as he had money to give away, he started giving it away.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
In earlier videos he paid off his parents house. They weren't super well off. I'm pretty sure until recently his mom was his manager. He would have to run spending money by her.

He got big buy doing insane shit like sitting down and reading a dictionary through, Spinning a Fidget Spinner for 24 hours straight, Listening to X song for 24 hours straight, Counting to 1 Million, etc. It just snowballed because people would be in awe of the shit he would do and would click the videos. As soon as he had money to give away, he started giving it away.

Then that's genuinely impressive and a crazy amount of dedication. seems like personality and dedication got him to where he is and thus far he seems to be spending his wealth in ways that make others happy. Hopefully he is indeed one of the good ones and stays one of the good ones.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

I guess the rest of us aren't working hard enough :?

I remember when that album came out and people were mixed about it.
Funny story: I got banned from YT for life for leaking Mogwai's album. Lost so many personal videos of mine I'll never get back. Things I cherished and never backed up. Even new accounts I create get banned to this day. I still post precious videos and don't back them up — knowing all this.

Worth it.
I guess this is growing up.
not actually worth it lol, learn from me.

Last edited:

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is any other content creator out there that matches his motives. He donates and hosts giveaways so often, that it's hard to imagine that he is sitting on most of this cash.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Hard to dislike the guy, considering he gives roughly half of his earnings away throughout the year. Some people may criticize him for not going through charities with his donations, but the negative with charities is only a % of what you donate to charity goes to those causes due to overhead, staff payments, marketing etc. There's no way he can do what he does with youtube ad revenue alone, he's a merchandising king. His latest stream of revenue is coming via ghost kitchens 300+ across the US by introducing his own line of fast food burgers.

I saw this get a lot of attention on Twitter because with like zero advertising and using 'ghost kitchens' his app was #1 on the app store in like a day. Had no idea he was also giving out money.

Jun 20, 2018
I know people hate these comments, but I had no idea who he was. I saw the thumbnail in the OP and my initial reaction was hey, it's the annoying guy off those honey ads. Crazy how he can be that huge, with a game channel, and I've never even seen him come up in my recommendations. Sounds like he's a pretty decent guy and doing some good with his money though so maybe I should check him out.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched a few of his videos and they are entertaining. The $97M number surprises me though.

Is he the top YouTube-based celebrity earner then?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah this is the thread that when I opened it a while back my first thought was "who?" Then I watched some of his vids and had a new question "why?"

If he gives to people in need that's cool.