• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
lol at imagining all the mlg "pros" who leg shot zombies and avoided killing anything having this fucker barrelling down on them once they came back to the RPD

*leisurely trots through empty RPD as X ineffectually tries to keep up*

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I was really enjoying the game until he showed up.

It feels like there's no risk of him killing me, because I'm faster than him even when hobbling at low health, and he's easy to kite. When he shows up, it's not frightening. He's just acting as a pointless, threat-free wall to navigate around. If I'm heading towards an objective and I hear those footsteps, welp. Guess I can't go there yet. His presence has made the game tiresome.

I love basically everything else about this game but his existence is such a profound negative mark against it that I've dropped it for now. I've never seen anything other than praise for the Mr X mechanic. Am I missing something? Has anyone else felt this way?
Play on hardcore and tell me there is no risk of been killed.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
He's ruined it for me a little bit. Mostly because I wasn't expecting him.

Like I loved Alien Isolation but I went into that KNOWING I'd be stalked by an alien the whole game.

If I had known about Mr. X I probably wouldn't have bothered with RE2. Stalker mechanics generally suck.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found him fine. I loved the strategy of ducking him and having football routes through the police station.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Mr. X is fine you are just in denial you have a crush on him

at7coryx20i21.png

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Mr X was a great addition. Once you know how the game works, Mr X isn't really an issue and can be avoided but even then, he can sometimes show up unexpectedly and that always adds some tension, especially when you lose him and haven't seen him for a while lol

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
He scared the fuck out of me at first but now that I know how to deal with him he's not really a problem at all.

Love Mr. X; he's masterfully designed. So threatening and dangerous at first, but once you get more proficient at the game, he's barely even a factor.
...Sorry, but how is that "masterfully designed?" That's exactly what the problem is. I figured out how easily you can control him in the very first encounter at the helicopter after running outside and looping around him, and he was never really a threat after that. A stalker that doesn't directly threaten you and that constantly appears just ends up being a nuisance.

The only real argument I've seen people make in terms of him being a threat is that he can chase you into hallways filled with enemies, but this only happened once in the 3 playthroughs I've done. I usually keep a certain path through the RPD clear and stick to it without much trouble, even when Mr. X is around.

The original Mr. X wasn't much of a threat either, but he at least gave you a reason to fight him with ammo drops and he appeared infrequently enough that it was an actual surprise to see him. The remade version has the element of surprise removed since he appears so much and his footsteps give him away, and your options are also stripped away since fighting him is useless. He could have been a pretty great enemy with a few tweaks, like item drops to make it worthwhile to face him or better AI so he's not so pathetically easy to maneuver around.

Yeah neither do I. I was on the fence about it already cause I'm not a huuuuuge horror game fan, but I like games like Silent Hill, and I enjoyed the 3ds resident evil till I got to a boss with no ammo and couldn't play anymore.

But hearing about this dude makes it a big fat NOPE. Too stressful for me

He's not really stressful to deal with in my opinion. It just amounts to seeing him, groaning, and then running down a hall a little ways or dodging a punch, then going back to business. I don't think he's hard to deal with at all, it's more like someone is pestering you by poking you over and over while you play.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
he was the lamest part of the game..if you ask me..tota.ly unnecessary..so after i beat leons campaign, i used a trainer and peace out douchebag x

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

The cool thing is that this wasn't unfair. First, by that point he should have known the corridors had Lickers in it and should be hearing Mr. X's footsteps. It was a calculated risk, but he was bad at math.

Even with all that, if he had a hand granade he could toss it and get out basically jail free.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Wouldn't people complain even more if he was harder? I don't get it.

He's clearly not meant to be super difficult once you know how to deal with him, but he can definitely be problematic if you don't clear our certain areas right.

This game is very playstyle friendly. If you wanna try and be quick and skip enemies and conserve ammo, you run the risk of running into them later in the game.

I think it's very well balanced.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I didn't mind it once i figured out what triggered him. Admittedly I reloaded saves once I figured it out, but it meant I had minimal Mr X time.

In general, i hate the gameplay mechanic. Hated the Baker family. Avoided Alien Isolation. And may not go near RE3make assuming Nemesis plays a prominent part.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Like a lot mentioned, it's not about Mr.X on his own, it's when he's in the same room as other enemies, especially lickers, since you can't outspeed him by walking. Best hope you have flash grenades on you.

And may not go near RE3make assuming Nemesis plays a prominent part

It won't be RE3 if he doesn't play a big role.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind it once i figured out what triggered him. Admittedly I reloaded saves once I figured it out, but it meant I had minimal Mr X time.

In general, i hate the gameplay mechanic. Hated the Baker family. Avoided Alien Isolation. And may not go near RE3make assuming Nemesis plays a prominent part.
I guarantee you Mr. X is just a taste of what is to come for re3. Nemesis is mr. X on steroids.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
Being a big fan of slasher movies, I absolutely loved Mr. X. He's a great representation of Michael Myers or the fisherman from I Know What You Did Last Summer. The way he just stares at you as you climb a ladder creeps me out. He walks because he knows he'll corner you eventually. And somehow it's even scarier when you lose him, because you're not sure where he will cut you off.

After 10+ playthroughs, I still get excited (and scared) for his appearances.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
He's one of if not the most important thing in the remake! Just a prelude of what Nemesis will be in the RE3 Remake.
Even though Mr. X is slow, he stills cause a lot of terror depending of what area he'll encounter you... It's just awesome to hear his steps while you wander around in the police station.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Interesting reading the replies to him and I'm even more secure in my decision to go hardcore right off the bat. I might've seen X as annoying if it was just an element that halted progress in between auto-saves because the only segments where I felt similarly are a particular few bosses that took me many tries to beat and were purposefully planted near save rooms. On hardcore the entirety of my progress is my own precious burden and anyone threatening it gets a visceral reaction out of me. I love it so much.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
"X gon' give it to ya!"

I got tired of the game of cat and mouse in the RPD, but I stuck it out and enjoyed the game overall. I thought I had heard/seen that Mr. X was a scenario B thing (in the original), so that'd explain why I had never encountered him before the remake.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game has an adaptive difficulty, so it may vary a lot between players. On my first Leon run, he was following me without any real break once he appeared. Other people say he didn't appear very often.

So if you are playing good they make him more aggressive and frequent or whatever?

I'll play crap on purpose then haha.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't really bother me until I learned he could teleport, now that's just bs. Thankfully he's just in a short part of the game.

He only teleports for the wall smash, which happens once per playthrough (if at all, it can easily be missed).

So if you are playing good they make him more aggressive and frequent or whatever?

I'll play crap on purpose then haha.

The adaptive difficulty effects things like ammo counts and damage numbers. Mr. X patrols around the station in real time, he doesn't become more aggressive if you're doing well.

Oct 28, 2017
He was only like 15 minutes around on my playthrough lol.
Once i played through the game a few times i realized that he has very specific trigger points and you can avoid it until absolutely ready. More so on the second playthrough "B". Also he becomes quite the joke once you learn his patterns of never entering save rooms, the chiefs office area, and when you first loop him around a table in the middle of a room.

Dont get me wrong though, he's stressful on your first playthrough for the first hour or so. But thats about it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The cool thing is that this wasn't unfair. First, by that point he should have known the corridors had Lickers in it and should be hearing Mr. X's footsteps. It was a calculated risk, but he was bad at math.

Even with all that, if he had a hand granade he could toss it and get out basically jail free.

Or a flash grenade would have saved him too, of which you should have a few of during this part of the game.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
The original Mr. X wasn't much of a threat either, but he at least gave you a reason to fight him with ammo drops and he appeared infrequently enough that it was an actual surprise to see him. The remade version has the element of surprise removed since he appears so much and his footsteps give him away, and your options are also stripped away since fighting him is useless. He could have been a pretty great enemy with a few tweaks, like item drops to make it worthwhile to face him or better AI so he's not so pathetically easy to maneuver around.

The original Mr. X made RE2 actively worse, because optional bosses (especially ones that inexplicably drop ammo as a reward) don't mesh well with the kind of game the classic REs tried to be. Original Mr. X and Nemesis are at their core nothing more than optional boss fights. They're easy to flee from and they dispense rewards if killed. The problem is that the game has to assume you'll fight them and give out correspondingly large amounts of resources, which you can then just pocket by running by the bosses. Not coincidentally, RE2 and RE3 are generally seen as the easiest entries in the classic series (any difficulty in RE3 comes from being designed around that awkward dodge mechanic).

The remake Mr. X works far better because the game doesn't have to dump boatloads of ammo on you all the time in anticipation of a boss fight you can just ignore. He punishes you for getting lost, not knowing the map, not knowing which areas you cleared zombies from, which actually plays to the best part of classic Resident Evil (maze navigation) instead of the worst (combat).

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I'm not too excited by a RE3 remake - it was kind of a mediocre, clunky shootbanger in the first place and the presence of Nemesis (who presumably will function more like his original version than Remake Mr. X for obvious, sprinting-and-rocket-launcher related reasons) virtually guarantees that it'll be too action packed. I'd prefer Capcom remake Code Veronica, which was not only an extremely flawed game that could very much benefit from a remake, but also reigned in the shooter gameplay and so is much more fertile ground for a survival horror remake. Or just make originals that focus on the high points of the police station and Baker house.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Being a big fan of slasher movies, I absolutely loved Mr. X. He's a great representation of Michael Myers or the fisherman from I Know What You Did Last Summer. The way he just stares at you as you climb a ladder creeps me out. He walks because he knows he'll corner you eventually. And somehow it's even scarier when you lose him, because you're not sure where he will cut you off.

After 10+ playthroughs, I still get excited (and scared) for his appearances.

My favorite is when he slowly ducks under a door. Just really menacing and further highlights how huge he is.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Mr X plus the zombies being so aggressive and busting through doors are the reasons i won't play it lol.
Thank goodness Bosman and Huber did a full playthrough.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Came in thinking OP is struggling, instead to find the issue is there being no struggle.

TBF, Mr. X can easily ruin a speedrun/S+ run on Hardcore, especially on 2nd Run. There's times where I just couldn't get breathing room to finish a puzzle between him and the Z's in a room. Plus the changed Licker placement is worse, where walking is an issue between him and zombies.

Taking your time or on standard he's a chump. Those who are worried shouldn't, as he's hardly present and as stated in the OP is easy to bait and avoid.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The original Mr. X made RE2 actively worse, because optional bosses (especially ones that inexplicably drop ammo as a reward) don't mesh well with the kind of game the classic REs tried to be. Original Mr. X and Nemesis are at their core nothing more than optional boss fights. They're easy to flee from and they dispense rewards if killed. The problem is that the game has to assume you'll fight them and give out correspondingly large amounts of resources, which you can then just pocket by running by the bosses. Not coincidentally, RE2 and RE3 are generally seen as the easiest entries in the classic series (any difficulty in RE3 comes from being designed around that awkward dodge mechanic).

Nemesis and Mr. X are very different both when it comes to fighting them and running away from them. Nemesis is much harder to avoid and infinitely harder to take down. Also, I think your logic that you have more ammo because of him is flawed. Yes, you could argue the game has to assume you are going to fight Nemesis and give you more ammo, but that's true even without him. In all classic Resident Evil (and RE2make) you have way more ammo they you need, maybe not to kill every enemy, but certainly to take more than enough to breeze through. Ammo management in RE doesn't come from having little of it, or at least that's just part of the equation, the other part if not knowing if you have enough ammo or not. And in that context an enemy like Nemesis who takes huge amount of bullets to take down will always keep you on your toe. That's why RE games get so much easier (and faster) to beat in subsequent playthroughts, that element is gone. That's also why when we analyze this subjects we have to think of first time players, and not veterans of the game who know all their mechanics, ammo location, etc...

I'd also like to add that even if we assume combat is a weak part of the Resident Evil, which I think is not that true in RE3, ammo isn't the only resource that is important to it. You're missing the health aspect of it. Nemesis can deliver extreme damage to the player and is very hard to take down. He is not that hard to ignore, that's true, but only when you're confident where you're going. Which first timers won't be. And RE3 doesn't give you considerably more health itens just because Nemesis is out there. To finish, I'm not sure if people will say RE3 is among the easy RE games.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I'm not too excited by a RE3 remake - it was kind of a mediocre, clunky shootbanger in the first place and the presence of Nemesis (who presumably will function more like his original version than Remake Mr. X for obvious, sprinting-and-rocket-launcher related reasons) virtually guarantees that it'll be too action packed. I'd prefer Capcom remake Code Veronica, which was not only an extremely flawed game that could very much benefit from a remake, but also reigned in the shooter gameplay and so is much more fertile ground for a survival horror remake. Or just make originals that focus on the high points of the police station and Baker house.

I strongly disagree withy your assessment of RE3, but I can see where it's coming from. Its balance is indeed more focused on action, on killing key enemies rather than avoiding them (which is one of the reasons why it can give yo more ammo and still make you tense), on combat rather than strategy. But in the end, it still is very much a survivor horror. I do think R3make will be more action oriented than RE2, mirroring the originals in a sense, but that doesn't make it worse.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I think he adds lot of tension to the game because you have to run and have to navigate quickly through rooms you have not proper cleared of zombies. Yeah, you can outrun him but you still have to run. There were so many moments at my first play through were I literally said out loud fuuuuuuck when that beast came at me and I was running away.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
He feels intimidating in a way he never was in the original, almost on the level of Nemesis at first. On repeated playthrough's however he's just an insufferably annoying brick wall that gets in the way of the library puzzle.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find him to be pretty goddamn annoying. Being able to take him down and have him out for some time would have been good but he gets up after a minute or so.

At a point its just not fun anymore because you can't relax and play at your own pace.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Stalker enemies will never make everyone happy.

If they're not too powerful or aggressive, then they'll be accused of not meeting their potential.

But if they're too powerful and aggressive, certain players will become frustrated with that as well.

If they're not in the game, then you hear the typical criticisms against backtracking. Eschewing backtracking would lead to criticisms of linearity. Etc.

Mr. X is a special case and in my opinion the best of the genre, alongside Jack Baker. Mr. X is ultimately in the game to mess with one's familiarity with the RPD (either on the second time after visiting the basement or in the 2nd Run). He won't kill you if you're good, but you need to be tactical and have a good sense of direction and layout to avoid wasting healing items and time dealing with him.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
If he were any harder, I would have let this game fuck right off and not bought it. I finished my Claire A playthrough literally minutes ago and, while Mr. X never gave me too much trouble, he's still an imposing and challenging force that consistently put me on edge. Getting caught in a room with X and a Licker is a death sentence, and his presence makes it tougher to clear rooms and prevent those scenarios. I'm actually very wary to continue on to Leon B because it seems like he is far more prevalent in Leon's story and I just can't.