• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an odd business choice only because it removes the ability to sell the same toy twice, one Mr and one Mrs.

If the new one has both set of features included to play with that is a win for the consumer regardless of the name change.

Can't wait to see the melt down from people though about their childhood toy about transforming identity being ruined though.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Why not just sell a potato head, mr potato head and mrs potato head separately?

Or is that still happening?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I said to my boss, "Guess why people are mad now. Mr. Potato Head is no longer called Mr. Potato Head."

And she bust out laughing. 😂

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
We laugh but I feel it's "culture war" stuff like this that drives people to worship a Trump. Humans suck.
They are hateful to begin with and just naturally gravitate towards people like Trump, they don't get driven so much as they just kind of funnel themselves in the path of least resistance

Call me cynical but this feels like Hasbro getting free press for a toy that nobody really has given a shit about in decades while their factory conditions are worker pay are probably dog shit, it feels like trying to profit off inclusivity in a shallow way. I don't trust it. It probably benefits them anyways to only have one SKU of the toy if it doesn't sell much, or if one of them didn't sell much.

www.cnbc.com

'Nightmare' conditions at Chinese factories where Hasbro and Disney toys are made

An investigation into Chinese toy factories has alleged that factories in major supply chains are mistreating their workers.

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
"Because potatoes and tomatoes have similar flowers and pollination, potatoes are self-pollinated, which means they have the male and female flowers on one plant"

someone please give that to their conservative relatives on the Facebook.

just for an extra gut kick.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a pretty dumb change, but also the overblown outrage that right-leaning commentators are going to make about this is gonna be both tired and hilarious.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
I don't have a problem with losing the "Mr."but just "Potato Head" is weird. The "Mr." made it clear it was supposed to be like a person that was a potato.

I know they wouldn't use it, but is there a formal word/title to use for people whose pronouns are they/them? Instead of mister or miss?

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I don't have a problem with losing the "Mr."but just "Potato Head" is weird. The "Mr." made it clear it was supposed to be like a person that was a potato.

I know they wouldn't use it, but is there a formal word/title to use for people whose pronouns are they/them? Instead of mister or miss?
Mx Potato Head would blow minds

I'd buy one

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
this totally destroys the toy story lore
They'll have to add a disclaimer, like Warner Bros did for Looney Tunes and Disney did for the Muppet Show. "This movie is a product of its time, and contains gender references that were commonplace in America", etc.

Honestly, though, I'm okay with it. It's a toy. Nobody cares. If it really affects you that much, you need to go home and rethink your life.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The change is fine, but I suspect its for practical reasons (Hasbro only having to deal with 1 potato) and nothing to do with what is stated in the article, as it really doesn't add up.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Honestly this just seems like a stupid, meaningless corporate decision.. kind of like when they all change their logos to pride flags in June. It just seems unnecessary

Dec 31, 2017
Does this really even accomplish anything.

other than the hilarious pants-shitting posts from republicans.

Edit: Wait it isn't even a name change? Honestly wgaf

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see that once again Era cares more about the outrage this kind of change will create than the change itself.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Stripping the gender from the product line's overall branding is the tiniest little baby step in the right direction, but that's all the progress we're going to get from toy corps.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
My only problem with this is that rhythmically it feels like it needs those two extra syllables so I like the suggestions of Dr. Potato Head. Plus, it's a tiny push back against anti-inteintellectualism so, two birds with one potato.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Are they gonna package the original Mr and Mrs parts in the same box now or just sell the two versions under the Potato Head name?

From an economic perspective, it makes a ton of sense. As someone who works toy retail, we have both Mr. and Mrs. Potato heads, but the Mrs. ones don't sell nearly as much. Combining them into one package allows the child to make whatever potato head they want. Better sales for the company and more customizable options for the child.

EDIT I was wrong. "Poato Head" is just the brand name they are going by to add to the brand I guess and both MR. and MRS. Potato Head are still being sold separately and he's still called MR. Potato Head, so all this stupid, right-wing outrage is for nothing.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
Captain Potato Head.

In my mind the "Mister" part was humorous purely because it was giving a title to a potato. Like calling something "Mr Wiggly" or "Mr Zang Bdow Luxury Yacht."

...Lord Potato Head...

The Right Honorable Potato Head.

edit: Wahey! So Potato Head is the product line, and Mr. Potato Head is the product.

...I shall resume calling my bucket by his Mister suffix, and putting my balls in his top.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Captain Potato Head.

In my mind the "Mister" part was humorous purely because it was giving a title to a potato. Like calling something "Mr Wiggly" or "Mr Zang Bdow Luxury Yacht."

...Lord Potato Head...

The Right Honorable Potato Head.

edit: Wahey! So Potato Head is the product line, and Mr. Potato Head is the product.

...I shall resume calling my bucket by his Mister suffix, and putting my balls in his top.
You summoned me
wTe5Z3H-hRIIsxBc9phnM83lXMV3mpxUQO9L6Hq_4sk6Snbw4DN1d83yLfN9jcYVQQJx4nEw5Q-8dlRbNsG8bW3qhXRihEDh

Dreamyard

Jul 15, 2020
It's hilarious how many Anti-SJWs misinterpreted this announcement, failing to realize the only thing changing was the brand name and that Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head were never getting canned.

1jmvwkF.jpg

xCFfblf.jpg

vOjThVy.jpg

I swear Anti-SJWs do more screeching than actual SJWs nowadays.