• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017

Laugh and the world laughs with you? Not entirely true, apparently. In my career, I've been told to be more positive, to produce happier content, to smile more. I've been told I need to publish videos about great indie games or do more optimistic Jimquisitions. I need to be less negative. I need to stop depressing people. I need to stop dumping on Bethesda. And yet, the actual results of posting positive content paint a far different picture than the rhetoric in comment sections, and while we can put some blame on YouTube itself, a simple fact is that most of you adore the misery.

This point about his videos being negative is one often raised in Jimquistion topics, or when his impressions are posted.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't care about Sterling's videos being "negative" - the industry's media could use more skepticism and questioning. I do care that a lot of his videos seem to endlessly retread the same terrain, and some of his sourcing/research can be very thin (which he tends to wallpaper over through sheer, overwhelmingly self-righteous rhetoric).

I also find his overall presentation gimmick to be unamusing - the lectern, the glasses, the authoritarian motif, the Boglins and other 90s toys. But that's just personal taste.

He's not wrong that people crave negative content though. It's the reason people read tabloids, love reviews that "savage" the thing being reviewed, and so on. As Anton Ego said in Ratatouille - negative criticism is fun to write, and to read.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The sad part is, he's absolutely right. There are several youtube channels I'm subscribed too, including Jim's, and I often ignore videos that aren't relevant to my interest.

Case in point I'm subscribed to CarlSagan42's channel for his amazing Mario Maker content. His 3 lowest performing videos in the past year or so were a hour long speech he gave at some event, a playthrough of man of medan, and a playthrough of Detroit become human. His only off brand thing that did well was Untitled Goose Game which he made during the peak of UGG's popularity, and I bet you the stats would show that video was watched little by his regulars and more by people looking for UGG content.

Specifically to Jim I usually don't watch his Jimpression videos because they're kinda of rambling train of thoughts unless I know for sure it's gonna be an angry shit on game fest. I listening to his podcast where Laura & Conrad are able to ask him questions or give their own opinions which imo is a better way of hearing about good games (in his opinion) like Man of Medan, Children of Morta, or Disco Elysium.

I do enjoy Jim's positive content Jimquisitions, but I'll admit I'm more likely to skip a positive video then a negative one.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,this forum is the same.The tiniest piece of bad news results in huge long threads of people piling in,people love being negative on the internet.
Just look at the recent PS5 specs threads for a good example,lol.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
At this point Jim has created such a compelling (for many) heel-like character that it doesn't surprise me that his primary audience tunes in for his scathing takes.*

People didn't watch Randy Savage or Ric Flair cut promos about not doing drugs or eating their vitamins. They watched to hear about tigers swimming in their bloodstreams and how big their houses were. 😉

(*character aside, I still feel Jim regularly touches on things that deserve to be addressed and criticized, so I'm certainly not saying the only worth in his videos are entertaining hot takes)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The frustrating thing about the games industry is that many people place themselves on teams or they have certain publishers & developers that they deem untouchable. So when people like Jim rightfully criticize bullshit in the industry ... if it falls under the umbrella of a fanboy's untouchable list, the conversation turns into a pointless argument as the defense force is unwilling to acknowledge any wrongdoing whatsoever and instead label the person who initially pointed out the bullshit as being overly "negative".

Oct 25, 2017
I like some of the guys content over the years but overall I don't think he's too negative, I just don't like his act.

I felt the same about the Kinda Funny team or the girlfriend reviews videos, I respect the fans of the Youtubers here I just don't rate most of them at all.

All too often you need to put this in context that you don't wish the content creator any bad vibes personally, because online hate has been weaponised as we all know.

Too tired of Jim's post-modern schtick, in a nutshell.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah look at threads about the content creator Arlo, if they are being critical of Nintendo they get more views/replies.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i dont care if hes negative or positive but that hes correct and accurate. After seeing him basically whip up a frothing crowd to go after the Ooblets devs i refuse to watch another video of his.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I'm at a point where I think anyone who focuses on positivity turns out to be a real asshole behind the scenes, Resetera itself is evidence of that.

I don't hate Sterling, but I stopped watching him a long time ago because he can turn one little piece of news into a 12 min video. Yes, DLC bad, game industry bad, and you can speak out against that, but it starts to become disingenuous when we all know, including him, that he gets paid to complain. It's practically old man yells at Cloud, but also gets paid to do it.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I mean yeah look at threads about the content creator Arlo, if they are being critical of Nintendo they get more views/replies.

sadly, yes. there's some of his videos that i know it's doom and gloom just because of the thumb + title.

it's tiring for me but it works for him

I'm at a point where I think anyone who focuses on positivity turns out to be a real asshole behind the scenes, Resetera itself is evidence of that.

I don't hate Sterling, but I stopped watching him a long time ago because he can turn one little piece of news into a 12 min video. Yes, DLC bad, game industry bad, and you can speak out against that, but it starts to become disingenuous when we all know, including him, that he gets paid to complain. It's practically old man yells at Cloud, but also gets paid to do it.

his Dark Souls is political video is amazing, tho.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Comparison and Thread Derailment; Prior Related Bans
ib4 15 minute video explaining how him being a big shithead is everyone else's fault

Jim can shove off after the ooblets video. One of the worst examples of bottom feeding youtubers who thrive on stoking hate no matter who it hurts

Trump's news conferences get good ratings btw. Maybe Jim should take notes and go full Trump, since you're justified in any behavior and any content as long as it gets more views

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
You attract more flies with honey than vinegar... except on the internet. People on the internet fucking love vinegar in this case.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ib4 15 minute video explaining how him being a big shithead is everyone else's fault

Jim can shove off after the ooblets video. One of the worst examples of bottom feeding youtubers who thrive on stoking hate no matter who it hurts

Trump's news conferences get good ratings btw. Maybe Jim should take notes and go full Trump, since you're justified in any behavior and any content as long as it gets more views
So you didn't watch it (again) before complaining. Is this a hobby of yours?

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's one thing to criticize guys like Sterling for being hasty and/or negative. The comparison with Trump is lazy, disingenuous and trollish. Get out of here with that false equivalence.

[EDIT] Also, after reviewing the Ooblets controversy, it seems Sterling privated the video where he criticized the devs, and made a follow-up video and tweets about harassment (and how it's absolutely not acceptable). Ah yes, very Trump-like behavior, hmmmhmmm.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even think Jim's stuff is that negative. Do people who think this only watch The Jimquisition?

His Jimpressions videos are extremely fair, and I find align super closely with my own tastes. He's more realistic than most reviews but no less positive or affirming on stuff he actually likes.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
He's right.

When I think of watching a Sterling video I'm going to his channel for a takedown vid of some sort.

Maybe he could work on his brand with his positive videos more so that's more of a thing but rn it is what it is.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I do always find it funny that people see Jim as only and did think about making a copypasta of Jim's positive videos, but I lost motivation after a while.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
He's right.

When I think of watching a Sterling video I'm going to his channel for a takedown vid of some sort.

Maybe he could work on his brand with his positive videos more so that's more of a thing but rn it is what it is.
He makes a point in the video of saying it's next to impossible to change track once your channel is known For something, Regardless if it's his shtick or minecraft players or fortnite. Which I can totally believe.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This video absolutely hits the nail on the head. While I don't watch his stuff as much anymore because if you've seen one Bethesda video you've seen 'em all, I like Jim as a person and go out of my way to watch his Jimpressions videos, because that's the content I want.

Hell, I think some of his Jimquisitions have been way off-base. As a Shenmue fan, that "Waterworld" video where he flipped his whole act 180 degrees and was all of a sudden concerned about a game not making enough money, and asking if it's even "worth it" for a game to exist if it doesn't make money...all because he wasn't a fan, I guess? F-ing yikes. But no one's perfect. He may get it horribly wrong sometimes, but he's a nice dude.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like it's healthier to just straight up avoid youtube channels where the entire schtick is "person is angry and cynical as a default and consumes EVERYTHING through that lens"

Youtube has brainwashed people into thinking the more cynical you are about everything that that must mean that you're insightful. Hence I avoid channels like Jim's. There are way way way healthier ways to criticize.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's always been his schtick. I tired of it years ago, so I don't watch his videos. If you're watching his videos and complaining while at the same time knowing that it's his schtick, that's on you, not him.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This video absolutely hits the nail on the head. While I don't watch his stuff as much anymore because if you've seen one Bethesda video you've seen 'em all, I like Jim as a person and go out of my way to watch his Jimpressions videos, because that's the content I want.

Hell, I think some of his Jimquisitions have been way off-base. As a Shenmue fan, that "Waterworld" video where he flipped his whole act 180 degrees and was all of a sudden concerned about a game not making enough money, and asking if it's even "worth it" for a game to exist if it doesn't make money...all because he wasn't a fan, I guess? F-ing yikes. But no one's perfect. He may get it horribly wrong sometimes, but he's a nice dude.
Yeah he's pretty positive in a lot of of his jimpressions stuff.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
tbh I don't even think JIm as a particularly negative outlook most of the time.
Isn't that the most funny part of it all? Most people accuse him of negativity but really they are arguing in bad faith since if you take the layer of entertaining hyperbole (something he actually managed to get right without seeming like an actual obnoxious person instead of say, Moviebob) you'll see that he's mostly, like he said in this video, trying to keep accountability instead of just shitting over games.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I remember when he tried to do a series of videos highlighting the good and promising games in Steam Greenlight. That didn't last very long...

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still disappointed his investigative Rockstar video didn't do well.

So I'm not surprised he's sticking to his tried and true formula.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

My only experience with Shenmue was Giantbombs endurance run and even I went fucking Yikes at that one. It was clear he did that just for clicks or some vendetta against the series since everthing he said in that video contradicts everything else he goes on about. I went from at watching most of his content to maybe watching 3 videos since then.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
His brand of hyperbole is still a step above a lot of "news" YouTube channels.
[Picture of host face palming]
Really ACTIVISION? This latest LIE has went TOO FAR... Presented by Raid Shadow Legends.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Jim's like the closest thing the industry has to a pundit and I appreciate it. I disagree with him sometimes (maybe 40-50% of the time), but I'm never really angered or put off by his stuff like half of this board seems to be. He rails against the things many of us hate on, and he's not afraid to inject leftist politics into his videos. You'd think it would align with this board more, but alas.

I'm genuinely confused by the derision some of his videos get. The same brigade always comes in to tell people that they're not gonna watch it or why people shouldn't watch it.

It's bizarre.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

This point about his videos being negative is one often raised in Jimquistion topics, or when his impressions are posted.

I don't think he's negative. He does call out a lot of bad practices the industry does do, and sadly there are lots to call out. That said There are definitely YouTubers that trade in misery and they just move from controversy to controversy. Jim also does do positive videos but whe he does , miserable people accuse him of Schilling for whatever he just praised

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Irony being, the whiners won't even watch this and will continue to whine.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had a dollar for every time Jim Sterling tried to push blame for his toxicity and negativity on "the viewers" I'd be a rich man.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Watched the video to see if he'd talk about what use Patreon can or can't be for escaping the trap of the YouTube algorith, but that topic only got the most superficial, short treatment.

Jim Sterling remains a prime example of self-flanderization.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did?

He said his negative videos get more views so it's everyone else's fault that he has to negative ones!
No, he says he has plenty of positive stuff too. He didn't stop making those even if they get less views. It's just that the people complaining about him being all negative like you don't actually watch his positive stuff.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I had a dollar for every time Jim Sterling tried to push blame for his toxicity and negativity on "the viewers" I'd be a rich man.
If I had a dollar everytime some rando complains about Jim Sterling in a Jim Sterling thread without watching the actual video, I'd be a rich man, too.
He's not pushing the blame on the viewers.

Ad-Infinitum

Nov 1, 2017
Personally, I feel that Jim's general tone of contempt/ disparagement is now more of an issue in all of his videos, not just the Jimquisition episodes or those scathing hot take things about random news items.

Case in point: his recent Jimpressions for Doom Eternal. He talks about the game in a positive way but the overall noncommittal tone of the video suggests that he's merely "okay" with the whole experience. Now obviously I don't expect him to fire rainbows and confetti out of the speakers in bombastic approval (though such flamboyance would actually suit his personal style), but it would be nice to see some constructive appraisal/ criticism every so often (afterall, he started as a writer - he's clearly capable of it). Merely pointing at aspects of a game and saying "yeah, it's alright innit" isn't really conducive to criticism of any kind, whether positive or negative.

Overall though, I've this pervading sense of dread regarding Jim and his output these days, though said feeling isn't in anticipation of his condescension but more of the fatalism that seems to permeate all of his videogame content at this point. Given the way that he seems to position himself through social media and his ever increasing disdain for the "videos that get the clicks", I can't escape the creeping doubt that Jim won't be producing this Youtube gaming content at all in five or six years time.

It's almost as if this video is a vague self-deconstruction of a man who just can't hear the laughter anymore...

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well no shit. Negative stuff in all fields gets more views.

Look at Era. How many times do you see people post negative news from a topic that usually doesn't get discussed vs positive news on that same topic? The negative news is actual news.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That's just the audience he's built his channel on. It's not like positive videogame YouTubers don't exist.