• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Hey

So I ll be moving to Japan at the end of March. I have signed up for a language school which is gonna handle all the paperwork. Recently it was brought to my attention that the
CoE ( Certificate of Eligibility for Student Visa) will be issued by the end of February which is needed to get the actual Visa to enter Japan.

This gives me a window of about 4 weeks to find an apartment, book a ticket, pack all my shit and go..... Is this going to be enough time??? Can I really find an apartment, get all the relevant paperwork done within a few weeks? Why the heck can't they do things faster??? I was hoping for things to be done in early January.. This blows.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
That is a very tight window. I would try to work with your school to see if they have resources available to assist you.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I am also moving to Japan at the same time for work! Do you know where you will be? Anyway, you should talk to your school about that. Right now, everything is changing at a rapid pace in respect to covid.
Wait until Jan/Feb to see how the news is. I have not yet been placed in a town yet, so I'm just waiting for an update.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
Does your school have any housing support? I had to live in a shitty dormitory when I first came to Japan.
Also, where in Japan are you going?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you pursuing a degree in linguistics or something? Because I'm trying to do that as well lol (a study abroad program)

LazyGradient

Nov 9, 2020
Where in Japan are you moving to? I know in Tokyo there's quite a few options for "cheap" rentals specifically for foreign students.

You should heck with your language school if they have anything. There are some that also offer places to stay with Japanese families from what I know.

Good luck on your trip, it'll be amazing for sure!

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
You moving by yourself? Nobody else?

All by myself

It can be done - I've done everything in 9 days before from congratulatory email to first class.

So it can be done...mhhhh

I'll hide you in my suitcase, deal?

I am also moving to Japan at the same time for work! Do you know where you will be? Anyway, you should talk to your school about that. Right now, everything is changing at a rapid pace in respect to covid.
Wait until Jan/Feb to see how the news is. I have not yet been placed in a town yet, so I'm just waiting for an update.

I'll be in Fukuoka

Does your school have any housing support? I had to live in a shitty dormitory when I first came to Japan.
Also, where in Japan are you going?

In fact they do. If I do it on my own I can find a place for about 500 USD. If I go with the school it would cost me about 800 USD. They offered a dorm but I refused. Not gonna risk getting Covid during these times.

Are you pursuing a degree in linguistics or something? Because I'm trying to do that as well lol (a study abroad program)
Where in Japan are you moving to? I know in Tokyo there's quite a few options for "cheap" rentals specifically for foreign students.

You should heck with your language school if they have anything. There are some that also offer places to stay with Japanese families from what I know.

Good luck on your trip, it'll be amazing for sure!

I'll be moving to Fukuoka and it is gonna be a full-time Japanese Beginner's course. Nothing fancy. I don't wanna share a place. I value my privacy.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My friend did this a few months ago in a quarter of the time. Her apartment fell through when she got there and the school put her up in a place until they could find a new one. Their real estate agent kept showing them places and when they'd get there the landlord would say, without fail, that they didn't rent to foreigners.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
See if there are any Oakhouse sharehouses in Fukuoka. You can live cheap, they're foreigner-friendly, and they're a good way to make friends and get daily speaking practice in the shared areas. My friends still living at Oakhouse haven't had issues during the pandemic, but it's obviously more risky than living in an apartment alone. Getting an apartment without a guarantor as a non-Japanese person isn't fun.

Also, congrats. Fukuoka is awesome. Pick up Hakata-ben and be rad. Also, head over to Kokura in Kitakyushu some time. It's a cool place.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I found a place online before moving, so maybe try that? Just look at rental agency listings in your area and ask if you can see some a day or two after you arrive.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
If you're all but certain you're gonna do this buy the plane ticket as soon as you can. The longer you wait the more you'll pay. Also, do you absolutely have to have the visa before you can get the ball rolling on an apartment? I moved to France for a bit and had my apartment lined up before going to get my visa processed. The sooner you get things in order and the more thorough your plan is, the less stress you'll have for an already stressful situation. Hope things work out for you!

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
My friend did this a few months ago in a quarter of the time. Her apartment fell through when she got there and the school put her up in a place until they could find a new one. Their real estate agent kept showing them places and when they'd get there the landlord would say, without fail, that they didn't rent to foreigners.

I am aware that some Japanese landlords do not rent to foreigners. A shitty situation. There are real estate agencies that specialize in renting to foreigners. I'll be looking into that for sure.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am aware that some Japanese landlords do not rent to foreigners. A shitty situation. There are real estate agencies that specialize in renting to foreigners. I'll be looking into that for sure.
The school set it up for them and the agent knew their situation. Either he was new (and bad at his job), or people were lying. Still, they got it sorted and have been living it up in Yokohama for 3 months now. They travel all over the country every weekend, COVID barely exists, and it looks like an absolute dream.

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I found a place online before moving, so maybe try that? Just look at rental agency listings in your area and ask if you can see some a day or two after you arrive.

I'll be doing the same thing. I need to get everything done before moving to Japan. I can't just land in Japan and start looking for apartments with all my luggage.....

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
If you're all but certain you're gonna do this buy the plane ticket as soon as you can. The longer you wait the more you'll pay. Also, do you absolutely have to have the visa before you can get the ball rolling on an apartment? I moved to France for a bit and had my apartment lined up before going to get my visa processed. The sooner you get things in order and the more thorough your plan is, the less stress you'll have for an already stressful situation. Hope things work out for you!

I wanted to get everything done asap until I found out that you absolutely must have a Visa in order to rent an apartment in Japan. I guess I have to ask the school if they can speed things up.

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
The school set it up for them and the agent knew their situation. Either he was new (and bad at his job), or people were lying. Still, they got it sorted and have been living it up in Yokohama for 3 months now. They travel all over the country every weekend, COVID barely exists, and it looks like an absolute dream.

This really sucks. I'd be pretty pissed if it had happened to me to be honest. The amazing thing is that tourists are still not allowed to enter Japan. This is one way to keep Covid in check.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This really sucks. I'd be pretty pissed if it had happened to me to be honest. The amazing thing is that tourists are still not allowed to enter Japan. This is one way to keep Covid in check.
Yep. They had to quarantine in a hotel for two weeks before they could do anything; they missed the start of school. Keep that in mind!

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
See if there are any Oakhouse sharehouses in Fukuoka. You can live cheap, they're foreigner-friendly, and they're a good way to make friends and get daily speaking practice in the shared areas. My friends still living at Oakhouse haven't had issues during the pandemic, but it's obviously more risky than living in an apartment alone. Getting an apartment without a guarantor as a non-Japanese person isn't fun.

Also, congrats. Fukuoka is awesome. Pick up Hakata-ben and be rad. Also, head over to Kokura in Kitakyushu some time. It's a cool place.

Not interested in sharehouses. Having my own place is very important to me. I don't need to worry about the guarantor as the real estate agency will take care of that.
Speaking of Kitakyushu..That was the first city that I looked into until I found out that there no language schools catering to foreigners so I decided to move a little bit to the South.

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Great! I'll be in the Kanto North region (nearby Tokyo) so I'll be a bit too far. Nonetheless, you can try to ask your school for assistance in finding a place. But for now don't worry about the plane tickets because your plans can change drastically between now and then. I'm in the same boat as you.

Cool. Thanks. Will try not to worry too much...Have fun in Kanto.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Firstly, welcome (in a few months) to Japan!

if you're stressed about paper work arriving on time, then you've in good company haha - same thing happened to me.

I echo earlier in this thread, check with the company your using as they should be able to provide support. If not, Sharehouse is your best bet at an easy stay in Fukuoka.

HERE

Fukuoka is a great city, when you get there try some of the local cuisine like Mizutaki (chicken soup - it's so good).

also, visit a Yatai! They are small red roofed stands on the side of the river, great in winter as they are cheap and serve hot sake and food.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I would see about setting up an apartment on a handshake deal that you can back out on if it falls through to save time.

Also, doesn't Japan require a two week quarantine for all inbound travel?

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
First off, welcome.

You should be fine. The current company I work for have found apartments/mansions in a few weeks for some of my coworkers. Personally not sure if language schools offer that kind of support or not though.

You can always stay at a hotel or a guest house for a few weeks until things get sorted but with COVID, but probably want to avoid it

Oct 26, 2017
From what I've heard about Japanese landlords, there are a bunch of hidden fees that you're expected to pay, so prepare to have to pay for several months in advance.

Chris Broad made an episode about a business mainly renting out to foreigners. Obviously this specific apartment is the super top end of what they have, and they're probably not in Fukuoka, but maybe it can help.

Otherwise, Abroad in Japan is generally a good resource on a foreigner's perspective of Japan so if you haven't already watched everything he's done...

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Fukuoka is great! I lived there for about 5 years before moving back to the States this year and I miss it so much. Send me a DM and I can probably talk through some suggestions for housing and stuff with you.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Hope you have fun in Fukuoka. It's a great city, and much more affordable than Tokyo or Osaka.

Japan is entering its third wave of COVID so it's hard to tell how things will be, but worst case you might have to do some sort of quarantine. But by January we are hopefully on the decreasing side of the curve for the wave.

Otherwise, try to contact your school and see if they can handle the apartment situation for you. Some apartments are specially set to pay just

monthly and they come with all the basic features. They are generally used for business people staying temporarily, and you could probably just use it until you find a nice apartment.
On the lucky side, Fukuoka rent is cheaper, and finding affordable places at walking distance from the two main center areas is easy.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah but I'd recommend getting an Airbnb for a few weeks or something. Unless you are already familiar about the area you wanna live in

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
as someone who has done this move a couple of times, I'd recommend finding a short term rental your first month. It will be more expensive at first but you will find better apartments and have better luck convincing people to let you live there if you're already in the country.

as others have mentioned there are hidden fees in a lot of private rentals, and xenophobic landlords are common - I bet this is worse now because the few covid cases here are always blamed on foreigners.

I recommend public housing. It's called UR Danchi, there are no hidden fees, and if your paperwork checks out they'll have no problem accepting you. Here's a search of the Fukuoka area, tons of apartments available. I will tell you from personal experience that the public housing is almost always cheaper and higher quality than any standard private housing here.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
From what I've heard about Japanese landlords, there are a bunch of hidden fees that you're expected to pay, so prepare to have to pay for several months in advance.

Chris Broad made an episode about a business mainly renting out to foreigners. Obviously this specific apartment is the super top end of what they have, and they're probably not in Fukuoka, but maybe it can help.

Otherwise, Abroad in Japan is generally a good resource on a foreigner's perspective of Japan so if you haven't already watched everything he's done...

I would not call him a good "resource". Hes is just a youtuber going for the clicks.

There are no "hidden fees" here, just pay attention to what are you agreeing on, everything is on the contract. People that complain that here literary do not read the contract OR the translation was bad but that is not on the landlord.

To the OP, yes it is a shot time but is doable. Fukuoka is great and you should not have that many problems. Dont bring too much, travel light. Just pay attention well with the visa process, things might change by the time you have to move, covid is going rampant lately (for japanese standards) and they might close again the borders... well more so that is now.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Usually language schools will help you find a place. Surprising that they're not.
That window is really short, but possible. Inquire with the school if a manager there can help you get set up.

OP
OP
xianren

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland

Thanks for the valuable input. Will check out that youtuber

I'll squeeze you in my suitcase as well

Fukuoka is great! I lived there for about 5 years before moving back to the States this year and I miss it so much. Send me a DM and I can probably talk through some suggestions for housing and stuff with you.

That is super nice of you. Will contact you soon. Thanks

Hope you have fun in Fukuoka. It's a great city, and much more affordable than Tokyo or Osaka.

Japan is entering its third wave of COVID so it's hard to tell how things will be, but worst case you might have to do some sort of quarantine. But by January we are hopefully on the decreasing side of the curve for the wave.

Otherwise, try to contact your school and see if they can handle the apartment situation for you. Some apartments are specially set to pay just

monthly and they come with all the basic features. They are generally used for business people staying temporarily, and you could probably just use it until you find a nice apartment.
On the lucky side, Fukuoka rent is cheaper, and finding affordable places at walking distance from the two main center areas is easy.

Will check with my school. Thanks.

Yeah but I'd recommend getting an Airbnb for a few weeks or something. Unless you are already familiar about the area you wanna live in

Airbnb never really occurred to me as an option.. Could be a good backup plan.

as someone who has done this move a couple of times, I'd recommend finding a short term rental your first month. It will be more expensive at first but you will find better apartments and have better luck convincing people to let you live there if you're already in the country.

as others have mentioned there are hidden fees in a lot of private rentals, and xenophobic landlords are common - I bet this is worse now because the few covid cases here are always blamed on foreigners.

I recommend public housing. It's called UR Danchi, there are no hidden fees, and if your paperwork checks out they'll have no problem accepting you. Here's a search of the Fukuoka area, tons of apartments available. I will tell you from personal experience that the public housing is almost always cheaper and higher quality than any standard private housing here.

Thanks. I'll check out public housing.

I would not call him a good "resource". Hes is just a youtuber going for the clicks.

There are no "hidden fees" here, just pay attention to what are you agreeing on, everything is on the contract. People that complain that here literary do not read the contract OR the translation was bad but that is not on the landlord.

To the OP, yes it is a shot time but is doable. Fukuoka is great and you should not have that many problems. Dont bring too much, travel light. Just pay attention well with the visa process, things might change by the time you have to move, covid is going rampant lately (for japanese standards) and they might close again the borders... well more so that is now.

We'll see how things are going to develop. I am planning on having 2 suitcases with me and nothing else.