• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would say just split 50/50 but if in this case there is rather large disparity of income I think taking that into account is fair.

Oct 27, 2017
We made a joint account and that is where all our money goes.

Anything over $100 we just let the other person know we are buying said thing. We auto-xfer into savings and set a dollar level in our checking account that if we ever get to it we need to stop and reevaluate our expenses.
This is what we do. Basic, functional.
OP seems to be getting emotional about money which is always a red flag

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
My SO and I have had our finances oscillate relative to one another our entire relationship. Sometimes I make less, sometimes I make more. No matter what, we split the finances down the middle - 50/50. If somebody picks up groceries one week, the other grabs them the next. Typically speaking, though, the person making more ends up treating the other to takeout more often when we're feeling too lazy to cook. It all balances out pretty well in the end.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
we act like a joint account but with separate accounts. I pay most monthly expenses as I earn more, and my wife tends to have all the savings accounts which I transfer to regularly. So we tend to bounce payments around a bunch of accounts pretty regularly but the premise is basically the same as a joint account.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The way my wife and I did it was to combine everything. No longer my bills or my income or her bills our her income, but ours. It genuinely doesn't cross my mind if it's my car payment or her student loans or who got paid this week....everything goes into and out of one checking account. True teamwork.

It's this, other stuff always feels iffy to me. The idea of caring that much about money is beyond me. There's more to life

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh my god. You are not paying the "love tax", he is.

You think it's outrageous that you get to pay less than him to live in the "large" house that he bought with his money? Imagine how he must feel.

Why would OP have to pay half of the mortgage of a house he did not agree to buy? See below and perhaps shelve the abusiuve, guilty-trippy attitude.
[...] the house was purchased before we were exclusively together.

[...] I didn't have any say in the purchase, location, or anything either. But in his mind I should be paying because I am living here and I had to 'negotiate' him down to only paying 1/3rd.

Again, OP, you need to clarify for our convenience who legally owns the house. The thread cannot move forward until you do. If he's the legal owner, then any payment you make being framed as anything remotely similar to a mortgage is abusive. If you pay 1/3, you should own 1/3. And if you own 1/2, you should pay 1/2.

I really don't know how to put it any blunter than this, but if I have someone living in my house and paying me money, but I'm the owner of the house, they're my tenant, not a spouse. And even that's a terrible deal considering, as you say, as a tenant I would get choice of location plus services and protections I don't have in your arrangement (assuming again you get no legal ownership of any part of the house).

This is a really good point about a major financial asset in a marriage. I'd even consider both seeing a financial advisor together regarding your financial security together, as if you split up later on, it would be good for you both to have it in writing what is going to happen. Like whether the asset is sold and you both take half the cash, or whether they would expect to keep it, and what would happen under local divorce law etc. As the idea of 'paying into' their mortgage payments (with no ownership on the deeds) for an asset your spouse may consider their private investment is something to address for both of your peace of mind long-term, given that civil law may see finances of spouses very differently if the marriage (which is a financial as well as a social/romatic arrangement) is dissolved. If they are cool with the idea that you are now a shared financial entity, that's great, but you still should get something in writing in terms of the assets brought to the marriage, and what you'll be paying on such a huge asset. As what you don't want to do is have the idea hovering in the background that if you split up a decade down the line , he wants to walk away with his house that you've paid a portion of the mortgage off on, and you with nothing. You aren't his tenant if you are his spouse. Better to have it clear and in writing. This is what financial advice from professionals rather than forums is for.

2he8hj.jpg

I think the biggest issue here (I mean, besides the monumental mistake of asking on Era about any kind of relationship advice) is that you seem to be asking what other people are doing. That's not what you want, because other people's situations have nothing to do with yours.

Last edited:

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
The way my wife and I did it was to combine everything. No longer my bills or my income or her bills our her income, but ours. It genuinely doesn't cross my mind if it's my car payment or her student loans or who got paid this week....everything goes into and out of one checking account. True teamwork.

I can't imagine doing it the other way and not breeding resentment, "I bought dinner last time we went out" "These are my half of the groceries" "You used more internet you pay more" at that point I'd feel like they're more a roommate than a spouse. I get it works out for some folk, but I couldn't do it separate...and luckily I found someone I'm happy to share everything with and married her!

This is what me and my wife do, we combined accounts once we moved in together over a year before we got married and never looked back.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the other option is to live separately until I can make equal earnings or downsize to my budget altogether. I absolutely would not be able to afford 50/50, and I would have not agreed to this place had we been together when it was bought.

I'm confused, if you're married, why would you do this?

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We have a joint account with everything on it and then each have one credit card not shared for any privacy / gifts.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I make substantially more than my wife. Everything goes into a joint account, and we pay all the bills from that. We spend whatever we want, just give a head's up if it's big.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like anything other than putting all the money into a shared account & letting the other person know before you make any big purchases is just asking for trouble down the road.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
First thing is don't ask for marriage advice on a gaming forum with a bunch of strangers. Talk to your wife about that stuff. :P

My wife and have a joint everything when it comes to money. Money we make goes into our joint account and all bills gets paid out of that. We talk to each other any time we want to spend money that isn't a miniscule amount so that neither of us take from the bill money.

I feel like anything other than putting all the money into a shared account & letting the other person know before you make any big purchases is just asking for trouble down the road.

Basically this. :)

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the other option is to live separately until I can make equal earnings or downsize to my budget altogether. I absolutely would not be able to afford 50/50, and I would have not agreed to this place had we been together when it was bought.
Are you legally married or just living together. This really does make a big difference. If you are legally married then you already own half of the shared property like the house. So paying part of the mortgage makes sense. If you are just living together then there is no reason you should have to pay the mortgage unless you want to out of the goodness of your heart. If you are not married then I would say you offer to pay what your rent was before and split costs on everything else.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Are you legally married or just living together. This really does make a big difference. If you are legally married then you already own half of the shared property like the house. So paying part of the mortgage makes sense. If you are just living together then there is no reason you should have to pay the mortgage unless you want to out of the goodness of your heart. If you are not married then I would say you offer to pay what your rent was before and split costs on everything else.
Not in all cases since that was property before marriage from the description.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I earn roughly half what my partner does but still pay half the bills, by choice. Admittedly I live in a very cheap part of the UK so that works for me.

I have an Excel document with all our combined bills and we just divide up paying it so it evens out.

We don't have a joint account though, all our money is our own and we don't need to "ask permission" for big expenses, I think we both like it that way.

But you should really be having this conversation early on in the moving in process.

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Everything is separate, But big purchases we talk about. She makes about 3-4 times more than me. She pays the mortgage and taxes and I pay everything else like utilities and daycare. She also has student loans. Still a team mentality thought.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Anything over $100 we just let the other person know we are buying said thing. We auto-xfer into savings and set a dollar level in our checking account that if we ever get to it we need to stop and reevaluate our expenses.
Thats exactly what we did and it is so much simpler.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
We just pile our money into a joint account and stuff comes out. We talk before making purchases of anything of any significance and that's it.

Edit: Also I see people mentioning multiple accounts for spending types and I wonder how you do that without getting nickel and dimed by banks. All the chequeing accounts I see around here charge $5-10 a month for an account <_>

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Won't ever have a joint account, at least not for primary spending. I'll maintain a separate account, and my partner will too. I Zelle her money for rent and pay slightly more than her since I earn more. I also pay Comcast, streaming services, and buy major electronics. She handles some home furnishings, most grocery bills, and other utilities. We kinda split ordering out and go back and forth.

it works out well enough. If and when we ever get married, I'd be open to something slightly different, but I want both of us to always have financial independence and independent financial security. It helps that neither of us is dependent on the other for money, and that helps drive our cohabitation.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
All of our financials are merged outside of retirement shelter accounts which we are both maxing. Autopay everything with checking because CC fraud/skimming is rampant. That's basically it.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Anything else other than 50/50 is bullshit and will lead to justified resentment, the same as any other sort of unequal relationship would. Half the house work, half the cooking, half, half, half.
This is just incredibly sad see. People acting as if there's one solution to a problem just because it works for them and/or they have strong feelings for a topic. Completely ignoring that fact there are several factors that make every relationship and not everyone has the same priorities.
Also trying to shame saying people who can't contribute saying it's bullshit and saying it leads to resentment? lmao

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
We have a joint account...of sorts. My wife hasnt worked for the last eight years but she has full access to my account and the savings account and handles all the money matters. About twelve years ago we tried me being in charge of that at it didnt work out so well!

When she did work, her money just got put into the pool so to speak. I have a certain agreed amount of money, basically kind of pocket money, that I use for whatever. If either of us want to buy something outside of that, we usually talk about it. I think this kind of set up is the most common for couples in Japan.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
My partner isn't my spouse (yet) but we both pay proportionally for bills and alternate (when possible) on things like groceries and eating out and what not. I don't think a joint account would fit either of us well, to be honest. We've yet to encounter any financial difficulties after doing it this way for the last six years.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
When my wife (then girlfriend) and I moved out together, I paid for everything except for a few bills she took on herself, and she paid for groceries. I was making double what she was.

When we got married, we made a combined savings account and dumped everything in there, but kept separate checking accounts to move money for bills in each person's name, as well as for gift buying. No difference in the split since I was still making a lot more than she was.

With covid, my wife quit her job to be stay at home since she was pregnant, and now we have a baby. From the start of that I've been paying 100% of the bills.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
The easiest answer is to probably just have one joint checking account that all of both of your money goes into. Keeping tabs on who makes more or is paying more of the bills etc isn't a recipe for success.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017

This is where I'm at but I would also defer to others that are saying that you, at the very least, just need to sit down and talk about this with your spouse and possibly get the arrangement in writing, if necessary.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to tell you how to split ratios or whatnot - that depends on how much you both earn and whatever you want to decide between you.

But my wife and I split our smaller bills by us being responsible for certain things. We have three accounts: our individual checking accounts and one joint account. We split the direct deposit for big bills (mortgage, auto payment, and loan payments) to go into the joint account. That's a set amount out of both of our salary checks. The rest of our checks go into our individual accounts, where we can save or pay off credit card purchases (or smaller bills like water and power) as necessary.

The main thing is that we don't really think of the individual checks we earn as my money and her money, it's all our money.

OP
OP
Vagabond

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Again, OP, you need to clarify for our convenience who legally owns the house. The thread cannot move forward until you do. If he's the legal owner, then any payment you make being framed as anything remotely similar to a mortgage is abusive. If you pay 1/3, you should own 1/3. And if you own 1/2, you should pay 1/2.

I really don't know how to put it any blunter than this, but if I have someone living in my house and paying me money, but I'm the owner of the house, they're my tenant, not a spouse. And even that's a terrible deal considering, as you say, as a tenant I would get choice of location plus services and protections I don't have in your arrangement (assuming again you get no legal ownership of any part of the house).

I think the biggest issue here (I mean, besides the monumental mistake of asking on Era about any kind of relationship advice) is that you seem to be asking what other people are doing. That's not what you want, because other people's situations have nothing to do with yours.

Ohhh, I see. Then I am not yet legally married.

I guess I kind of lied to make my situation seem better. We're engaged. I am not on any paperwork to own any part of the house or any assets. I'm guessing at this point I need to either demand to be on the paperwork or we should go ahead and file the marriage paperwork before I agree to anything asking me to contribute so heavily toward the mortgage/bills.

I'm just asking for input and other people's experiences - this is new to me and the first time I have ever had to do any kind of consolidation with anyone else. I would have hoped both of our bills go down instead of it being kind of lopsided.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!

This is what I plan to do for my next relationship. First one we kept everything separate and just split all bills 50/50. On the plus side it made it easy to split when that time came lol.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
for our first place I can't even remember I paid rent plus extra for utilities I think because I made significantly more, but then we bought a house together and she still made less, but mortgage was more than our old rent so I increased what I gave and she increased as well. I mean we pretty much just pool our money together. I skim 50-100 off the top of my check for my own personal stuff, but otherwise I just give her all of it. It doesn't matter to me because she is the money guru of the house so she spends whatever on the bills and anything left over goes into our savings. If I need more for something I ask if we can afford it and she does the math basically. When it comes grocery time or whatever she tells me the amount and I just keep it under that. I like our system a lot, but mostly because I was irresponsible when younger with money so her having safe guard over 99% of our money makes me feel better. Can't see it, can't spend it, kind of thing.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I am officially moving in with my spouse of 2 years! Everything seems to be going great - but theres one thing we haven't really went over and talked about that we've been trying to avoid for obvious reason - splitting the bills. Our arrangement was basically for me to find a job up here so we could live together and I could move in to his house and talk bills later! Sounds simple, right?

Well, I was able to find a job, but my job pays almost exactly half of his job. In addition, the house I am moving into he has lived for over a year, and the mortgage itself is three times what I would be used to paying in total living expenses. Its a large house, granted, but it feels like I took a pay cut to pay more in bills/utilities and it simply feels like I am getting such a raw deal to split everything in half and have such a drastic increase in responsibility. Especially with the huge disparity on what he is paying and used to spending on bills vs myself. I know there's definitely a love tax - but I could easily take this 1500+/month elsewhere and live much more comfortably - And I don't think there's a way to make him understand that! Not to mention this area is just much more expensive in general.

So I want to hear from Era - has anyone moved in with a spouse? What are some of the ways you have split the bills?

For right now, the current agreement is that I would pay a third of the mortgage, and split the other bills evenly. This gives me only a ~25%-33% increase in cost of living vs living by myself. Still outrageous in my opinion but I guess it's the love tax.
Hmm. Well for me OP, when my S/O moved in with me I made like 4 times what she made and my house/bills reflected it. I took into consideration her amount and asked her to pay only one bill and half of food expenses. I'm good with it because I was paying it all myself before she moved in. But if you make significantly less it's not fair for you to pay half. Especially if you had no say in the place.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I guess I kind of lied to make my situation seem better. We're engaged. I am not on any paperwork to own any part of the house or any assets. I'm guessing at this point I need to either demand to be on the paperwork or we should go ahead and file the marriage paperwork before I agree to anything asking me to contribute so heavily toward the mortgage/bills.

Seems to me you need to talk to your fiancee, perhaps consult with someone with actual legal knowledge, and amend the mortgage paperwork accordingly. Leaving your situation as vague as it is now is a disaster waiting to happen, whether you actually get married or not.

I'm not sure how your country (US?)'s legislation works, but e.g. in Spain, even if there's no pre-nuptial agreement, there's a difference between property acquired by each spouse before the marriage (which is normally considered the private property of each), and property acquired after the marriage (which by default is considered to be equally owned by both). If it's like that in your country too, and you eventually decide to divorce, your spouse could argue that the house is his pre-nuptial property and solely belongs to him, regardless of how much of the mortgage you've paid.

To reiterate, there's really only two logical options available to you:
- You pay 1/3 of the mortgage and are included with 1/3 ownership of the house (yes, this is possible and very common). If you want to be extra diplomatic, you can even broach the subject as something he would want to settle, too. E.g. "if we get married, the house would be property of us both equally [citation needed], whereas I'm only contributing 1/3 of its mortgage. It's actually best for you if we make it legally explicit that only 1/3 belongs to me."
- You pay nothing and your spouse entirely owns the house. This would by far be my recommended arrangement (it can be a nightmare to sell a co-owned house after a breakup; I know because I lived through it). In this case I would recommend you and your fiancee sign a pre-nuptial explicitly stating his ownership of the house, to give him the peace of mind.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
This is not true. Even if married, one spouse doesn't automatically own everything the other brings into the marriage.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I'm just asking for input and other people's experiences - this is new to me and the first time I have ever had to do any kind of consolidation with anyone else. I would have hoped both of our bills go down instead of it being kind of lopsided.

You should talk this over with your SO if the finances are a big concern of yours so that you go into this with no surprises or expectations that don't get met. This is an important conversation that you should be having now before you get married and it's better to have done it before you tie the knot. You two really should be on the same page about this.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
just because it didn't work for your friend doesn't mean it doesn't work for other people.

i've been living with my wife for 8 years splitting bills, and it was never an issue.

Imo, this works best for couples that like to have their own money and freedom to spend it however they want. I always roll my eyes when I see some one say ' I gotta ask my significant other if I can buy this'.

This way I can buy what ever I want, and so can my wife; why should it madder what I spend my money on as long as the bills get paid.

Agreed 100%. I'm not asking anyone if I can buy shit lol. We both split everything, what we do with our money in our own time is on us

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
This is such a tough topic, so much of it comes down to the personalities of the people involved. The most common setups I've seen are:
  • All money goes into one big bucket, bills paid from that with allowances to each person
  • Pay all common bills as a percentage of each person's share of total income
  • Each person keeps all their money, contributes to bills evenly.
When I was married, we split things roughly according to the percentage of our total income. She was in school, so I paid the vast majority of the bills. The career she was training for pays quite well, so I didn't see it as a big issue paying for more, especially since we talked about a chance for me to go back to school or do a couple of solo longshots that I always wanted to take a shot at (once she was established).

The problem with any of this, is what happens if the marriage fails - because 50% of them do (or more, if you've already been divorced). Will you get any equity from the house? Because in many jurisdictions you're entitled to gains/assets acquired during the marriage, but you've just told us you're not married yet.

I know it sucks, but I would sit down and have the difficult conversation about how to handle money now, since it will only get tougher once you're actually married.

Side note: I am slightly concerned by the fact that you need to move to his location, in a house that you don't really like, that he bought while the two of your were already together. I'm not trying to imply anything bad about your spouse-to-be, but it seems like you're being asked to accommodate his desires an awful lot.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I have a joint account with my wife that we replenish as needed for all expenses. I would suggest 50/50 if the salaries are comparable or percentage-based if the disparity is too high as is the case here. (Every month he would top up 3k while you top up 1.5k for example).
Is your name going to be added as co owner of the house if you're paying the mortgage? Or is it like a rent? If it's for the long term, it would be fair to add your name as owner too...

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
My spouse and I have a joint account that we both put the same amount of money into, which equates to about half my wage.
It covers the mortgages, big bills (rates and stuff) and house repairs. We are then responsible for everything else from out own personal accounts.

It's worked well for over 10 years, but we don't have kids and our incomes are roughly the same.

Nov 26, 2018
With my spouse and I, our income is roughly 60/40 respectively of our combined net income. He pays mortgage, utilities, insurance, and food. I do PMI, fun/vacation, booze, and house emergencies/repairs. Currently we have separate accounts but we're both on the accounts and we're looking to merge with a credit union in the future. We've known each other for ten years, been together for 8, and married for 3 :) .

Edit: ALSO, we don't question what the other buys as long as the bills are paid for at the end of the day.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
split our money 50/50 and each have a spending allowance that we get every 2 weeks to blow on whatever. save up your spending money and buy anything guilt free.

works well. sometimes I make a bit more, sometimes her. It balances out.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I live in a completely different world to some people here. What's the point of even getting married if you're just going to continue to live like two separate people?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you both pay the same percentage of your respective salaries into a joint account for mortgage and living costs?
I feel like this is the best way for most couples. For my situation I just pay the mortgage and bills my fiancee pays for food expenses and deposits the rest jnto our savings. However this is hard for most couples I feel like

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
We just have a joint bank account that all of our money dumps into, we pay bills from, and we run big purchases by each other. It's a big exercise in trust and whatnot.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely talk to your fiancé more, some red flags popping up where you're already feeling resentment and you're getting a raw deal before even starting, it shouldn't feel like a negotiation, it should feel like a collaborative effort.

As this thread shows, no single system works best for all couples. I know people in happy relationships that have variations of all the types of setups talked about in here. Personally we just combine all our income and pay everything from that, my wife hasn't looked at a bank account statement since the day we got a joint account, she hates thinking about money so I handle the finances/bills while she just uses her debit card without worrying. Now that we have a kid, the joint setup continues to work well now that we have baby related expenses. Any big purchases we keep each other in the loop but other than that it's basically just buy what you need when we need it and I keep an eye on the account balances.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

This is what my wife and I did basically, one big money pool and both parties agree to any large purchase. It's worked well for 6 years so far, and I see no reason it won't continue to work out.