• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era,

The company I work for is opening a new spot over in Tokyo, and they are currently accepting resumes. My manger let me know that if I were interested, all I need is to send my info over, and she would set up the interview via FaceTime

I have never been to Japan, nor do I speak the language, but I have always been very interested in moving outside the country and starting a new life for myself, and if there's even a slight chance I could make it work, I think I have to take it.

Has anyone here successfully moved to Japan from the US? How are you finding it? How long did it take to acclimate?

Thanks folks

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
As an American who lived and worked in Japan for a bit over 5 years if you'll be in Tokyo you'll be absolutely fine using English 99% of the time.

That said you'll definitely be adjusting to a lot of things. It's a very different style of life and much of the culture runs counter to a lot of the norms in America. Just try to be humble and always seeking to learn and grow. Provided you pay attention and keep that mindset you'll acclimate just fine. There will be times when you miss home for one reason or another but you'll learn a lot about yourself and you might just find a place you want to call home.

Even as someone who decided not to stay in Japan there would never be a time where I wouldn't encourage somebody to take that leap and discover what's on the other side. In the long term it's more rewarding than can be expressed. So go for it!

Good luck!

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
At least in Tokyo, you can likely get by with English and some key phrases. Especially depending on where in Tokyo. But it's still worthwhile to learn conversational, before or during.

And I guess it depends on where you are now to say if it'd be a difficult transition. As in, if you're in a big city, you're most of the way there.

OP
OP
J_Viper

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
As an American who lived and worked in Japan for a bit over 5 years if you'll be in Tokyo you'll be absolutely fine using English 99% of the time.

That said you'll definitely be adjusting to a lot of things. It's a very different style of life and much of the culture runs counter to a lot of the norms in America. Just try to be humble and always seeking to learn and grow. Provided you pay attention and keep that mindset you'll acclimate just fine. There will be times when you miss home for one reason or another but you'll learn a lot about yourself and you might just find a place you want to call home.

Even as someone who decided not to stay in Japan there would never be a time where I wouldn't encourage somebody to take that leap and discover what's on the other side. In the long term it's more rewarding than can be expressed. So go for it!

Good luck!
Thanks for this great post!

This is only what I've gathered from episodes of Bourdain's shows but I always admired how peaceful Japan seems. I'm so tired with the dumpster fire this country has become, and I'd love to leave that behind in my rear view mirror

I should also mention that I'm working retail, where I'm sure it might be a bit more difficult to not know the language

As someone who has been there for a while, what is the cost of living like compared to the US?

Learn the language. The effort will be appreciated.
If this transfer somehow moves forward that would be an absolute priority
At least in Tokyo, you can likely get by with English and some key phrases. Especially depending on where in Tokyo. But it's still worthwhile to learn conversational, before or during.

And I guess it depends on where you are now to say if it'd be a difficult transition. As in, if you're in a big city, you're most of the way there.
I'm currently in Miami, which is a pretty big city. I do hate it here though.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious what retail store is opening in Tokyo and want to move their US employees over.

Oct 26, 2017
I've met people who have lived in Japan for a long time and speak basically nothing, and this is not just in Tokyo. Naturally your life is easier the more of the language you speak but it's a very comfortable place for English speakers to get around. General stuff probably took less than a year for me to acclimate from the states. Language is a longer process but you get what you put in.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If you're working retail then yeah might be a good idea to not only learn the language(at least conversational) but also some concepts with the society like the way meetings are conducted and unspoken rules.

I spend a third of every year in Japan now and have been contemplating moving back for a few years.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this great post!

This is only what I've gathered from episodes of Bourdain's shows but I always admired how peaceful Japan seems. I'm so tired with the dumpster fire this country has become, and I'd love to leave that behind in my rear view mirror

I should also mention that I'm working retail, where I'm sure it might be a bit more difficult to not know the language

As someone who has been there for a while, what is the cost of living like compared to the US?

If this transfer somehow moves forward that would be an absolute priority

I'm currently in Miami, which is a pretty big city. I do hate it here though.

Tokyo is expensive and certain foods that you're used to being a big part of your diet will be crazy expensive (or seasonal). From Miami to Tokyo you're likely looking at something around a 20% (or more) increase in cost of living.

However you'll save a boatload on medical insurance as you'll be enrolled in the nationalized medicine plan and that'll likely help lessen the impact a ton.

Also as an American you don't have to pay any Japanese or US taxes on any of your income for the first two years thanks to a tax treaty so that'll help you during your adjustment period too.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hop a plane for a vacation there before you move-move.
It's very, very different.

If you don't like the food and the cramped space, it might get rough acclimating.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very different style of life and much of the culture runs counter to a lot of the norms in America.

This can't be emphasized enough. The culture is very very different to that of America and unless you know you prefer or it go in with a *very* open mind and willingness to go with just about whatever, you're likely going to get extremely frustrated and bitter.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Hey there!

Currently working in Tokyo. Have lived in Japan about 9 years now, 7 of which have been working various places and companies.

From my personal experience, moving here was the best decision I've ever made. It put me on the path to becomming fluent in Japanese, got me a job in the video game industry and allowed me to meet my boyfriend who I now live with.

I've seen others who have had a terrible time here though. A lot of people complain about Japanese people being cold, stand offish, and shallow but the people saying that almost always have trouble speaking the native language. If you cant speak any Japanese, you might want to set your expectations so that you wont be dissapointed when you struggle to connect with the native population. That can also be a motivator to learn the language just be aware it will take time before you can speak at a level where you can have meaningful conversation. On the other hand you will be in Tokyo where there is a higher population of English speaking Japanese and other foreigners you can meet to continue having a healthy social life.

Just keep in mind life in "Tokyo" and life in "Japan" can be different in a nuanced way. Tokyo is a huge metropolis and has all the caveats that come with it the same as New York, London, etc. It's still uniquely Japanese but be prepared for the same crowded streets and rude people you would expect elsewhere.

Do you know what the working conditions will be like? Standard Japanese salaryman life can be quite taxing with the amount of overtime and often dumbfounding work culture. However, since you seem to be getting this job through your current company if the expectations and way of operating is the same as what you are used to then it shouldn't be a problem. Basically,its important to consider whether you will be working the "Japanese way" or the same as back home.

One thing stood out to me, and I dont mean to pry or be too personal, but you mentioned wanting to start a new life somewhere else. I've seen numerous people come here with the same intention only to realize changing where they lived didn't solve any of their problems, or that the problems they had here were even worse and eventually go back home. How well you enjoy your time here will depend on what your end goal is and what your expectations are. If you are in a stable place mentally and emotionally and are just looking for new experiences and not worried about being on your own, across the world from any support net work you may have and not afraid of the feeling of loneliness many experience in a big city where they dont know anyone I think you will be able to adapt and have a great time. If your desire to come here stems from dissatisfaction with your current situation and you hope Japan will be a solution to your problems, in the experience of what I've seen I think you will ultimately be dissapointed.

Having said all that I still love living here. I hope I didn't make it sound too gloomy or negative, just wanted to give some realistic insight. There are a lot of great things about living here, but having been here so long I have actually started to miss some of the good things about America and with aging parents on my mind I've actually started to look for employment back in the states again. I think with the right mindset you can have an amazing time here. If you have any more specific questions please let me know!

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
You can get by in Tokyo without Japanese but it won't hurt to brush up on some conversational phrases and what not.

Your biggest issue, unless your employer provides it, will obviously be finding housing but for the most part it's very comparable to your average US rental aka around 800 or so for a pretty nice pad, probably cheaper. More if you want to live closer in the city and what not. Japan in general is pretty cheap or comparable to the US for most things.

Get use to trains/Public transportation.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh one other thing: while it might not be as much of a hindrance within Tokyo itself much of Japan is still very a much a cash based economy. Outside of the biggest cities you'll need to have cash for most anything and it's usually a good idea to carry around a decent amount with you no matter where you go just in case. The need to carry cash took me a long while to make a habit of.

What sort of retail position would you be doing in Japan? If you're working directly with customers then you'll definitely want to brush up on cultural mannerisms and the language to perform your duties. Cultural mannerisms are very different (for example the way in which money is handled during a transaction).

I don't know much about Miami, but if you're used to driving places, you're gonna get used to taking trains everywhere. Or biking. But probably trains.
True but trains and buses in Japan are actually affordable and timely so it's not a bad thing. Personally I think their public transportation is one of the biggest perks of living over there. Just uhhh try to take the trains at slightly off peak hours even if it means going to work early or leaving a bit late haha

Last edited:

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I would hop a plane for a vacation there before you move-move.
It's very, very different.

If you don't like the food and the cramped space, it might get rough acclimating.

In tokyo it's very easy to have the American diet if need be lol but yes housing size is something that might take some getting use to.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I mean yea it's always a good idea but if he's gonna be in Tokyo he doesn't need to know the language to get by if he moves there. Besides it's a lot easier to learn it once you're there in the thick of it

I taught English in Seoul for about 6 months, you pick up on the language and 'key phrases' quickly. Being immersed in TV/Music, you pick up a ton!

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you'll be absolutely fine using English 99% of the time.

[...]

Just try to be humble and always seeking to learn and grow.

lol

I see what you mean but I wouldn't advise anyone to move to another country if they don't intend on learning the language. People will appreciate the effort and it's central to the learning and growing experience.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I taught English in Seoul for about 6 months, you pick up on the language and 'key phrases' quickly. Being immersed in TV/Music, you pick up a ton!
Yea once you're there you pick up on the important and commonly used phrases really quickly. Of course to really learn the language you'll have to study your ass off but a lot of what you'll need to know will come to you naturally just by virtue of living and working there.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was in Tokyo for about 6 months total, and found that the percentage of normal people I interacted with who spoke English was quite low. That being said, I really didn't have much reason to talk much with wait staff and 7-11 cashiers.
Definitely learn the language basics, at least, though.
But I'd go for it. It would be an awesome opportunity.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
lol

I see what you mean but I wouldn't advise anyone to move to another country if they don't intend on learning the language. People will appreciate the effort and it's central to the learning and growing experience.

Well yea for sure my main point was that it shouldn't be seen as a hurdle you have to overcome before moving to Tokyo. I'd always encourage folks to study and learn once they're there but it isn't as big of an impediment as most seem to think prior to going over is all.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Oh one other thing: while it might not be as much of a hindrance within Tokyo itself much of Japan is still very a much a cash based economy. Outside of the biggest cities you'll need to have cash for most anything and it's usually a good idea to carry around a decent amount with you no matter where you go just in case. The need to carry cash took me a long while True but trains and buses in Japan are actually affordable and timely so it's not a bad thing. Personally I think their public transportation is one of the biggest perks of living over there. Just uhhh try to take the trains at slightly off peak hours even if it means going to work early or leaving a bit late haha

Yeah. The public transport is badass. Bus less so than trains, but it's super efficient. Peak hours are hectic with getting squeezed in, but even then you get used to it.

The money thing is also very true. First time in my life I got a coin wallet. Smallest bill is equal to $10, so you'll be dealing with a bunch of coins. Suica/Pasmo when applicable is great too.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I moved and lived there for almost three years. Took nothing but my laptop, basic clothes, and some money. Loved it. One of the best things I've done in my life.

It was incredibly stressful at times, but it was also a dream come true.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like i missed the memo on this.
AFAIK it should be automatic on the US side but I beleive yourwoekplace has to file documentation on your behalf with the Japanese tax office to exempt yourself from the Japanese collection. My workplace files that all on my behalf and while I still paid into the national pension and medical insurance plans I had no standard tax withholding from paychecks for the first two years I was employed there.

It's possible things have changed since then though. Definitely worth looking into

Oh clarification here you still have to file your U.S. taxes with the IRS as usual your first two years it's just that the normal foreign income exclusion limit is waived so you'll have no tax liability. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

Last edited:

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
There are more English speakers than you'd expect, it's just a lot of them dont feel comfortable speaking English. And regardless, technology has come a long way. Even the Google translate app is far better than what it used to be even a few years ago. I use it all the time when I travel with great success (and the occasional hilarious mistranslation like when I asked a woman in the market for leeks but translated it as urinating). The ability to take a photo of something and translate it is especially helpful. Of course you should certainly attempt to learn the language if language acquisition is a skill of yours. And regardless, learning the key phrases is always a must (hello, thank you, excuse me/sorry, I've killed a man please help me bury the body).

I lived in Japan as a kid during the 80s and visited twice more recently. It's has some wonderful attributes, it's beautiful and interesting and delicious. But like anywhere on earth, the longer you live somewhere, the more the warts show and the little things start to bother you. But as a life long expat I encourage everyone to spend some time living abroad, it will tell you a lot about yourself and help you better understand a global perspective.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

I started a relationship online with a girl I knew through a friend back home and ended up living with her for a few years in the states till that relationship ended.
I'd have totally regretted leaving, still do a bit, but now I have a son with a longtime friend and once you become a dad you wouldn't want to change anything.

Wouldn't mind going back someday though.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think I could stand the over-crowded nature of Tokyo and prefer Osaka as it has all the same amenities without so many people,
but moving to Japan was the best decision I ever made.

Definitely put the effort in to learn the language though.

Currently building a brand new house here. Eager to finally say good bye to our tiny apartment!

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I've always wanted to go and live in Japan for a while, but I just wouldn't know where to start with making it happen.
I assume it would require rather a lot of money, of which I have none.

You should definitely take the opportunity!

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Be wary of Japanese work culture. May not be a thing at your office but Japanese run companies generally expect overtime and there's far less privacy. For example we have yearly medical checks and our employer gets a copy of the results.

OP
OP
J_Viper

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, thanks so much for for the informative posts! You've all been very helpful so far

Having to use public transportation actually sounds like a benefit for me. I spent time in NY, so I already know the feeling, and I'm thinking Japan commuters can't possibly be more insane or hostile than they are over there

I've lived in big cities my whole life, so being in more crowded doesn't bother me

Were I to make this move, I'd definitely be open minded and take the cultural differences very seriously. I'm not really someone who takes that sort of thing lightly

How is the gym culture over in Japan? I'm not an wannabe Instagram fitness star, but weight lifting is very important to me. Is trying easy to find a gym over there

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it doesn't work out for you, I think it would probably be a good experience to try and come over.

It always gives you a new perspective to live and work in a different country.

How is the gym culture over in Japan? I'm not an wannabe Instagram fitness star, but weight lifting is very important to me. Is trying easy to find a gym over there

Plenty of gyms in Tokyo, not just private gyms but also public ones.

The public ones are fairly cheap if you happen to live or work near one (200-600 yen per trip).

Private ones can cost you anywhere between 5K to 10K yen per month.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Wow, thanks so much for for the informative posts! You've all been very helpful so far

Having to use public transportation actually sounds like a benefit for me. I spent time in NY, so I already know the feeling, and I'm thinking Japan commuters can't possibly be more insane or hostile than they are over there

I've lived in big cities my whole life, so being in more crowded doesn't bother me

Were I to make this move, I'd definitely be open minded and take the cultural differences very seriously. I'm not really someone who takes that sort of thing lightly

Lots of gyms around Tokyo but some of the 24 hour ones wont accept you unless you can read/speak Japanese. The regular gyms that are not 24 hrs will accept you fine.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Pro tip: go on a shopping spree when shops start selling summer clothing. I stay far away from cotton for half of the year. During my first summer here, my shirts were constantly soaked and I don't even sweat that much lol

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Hey Era,

The company I work for is opening a new spot over in Tokyo, and they are currently accepting resumes. My manger let me know that if I were interested, all I need is to send my info over, and she would set up the interview via FaceTime

I have never been to Japan, nor do I speak the language, but I have always been very interested in moving outside the country and starting a new life for myself, and if there's even a slight chance I could make it work, I think I have to take it.

Has anyone here successfully moved to Japan from the US? How are you finding it? How long did it take to acclimate?

Thanks folks

If you are dark skin just be ready to be touched. I did a tour of Asia awhile back with my girls and being Dark skin and tall invites alot of touching.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly recommend anyone to live in a different country for a while if they can. It could literally be life changing, and at it's worse at least an interesting experience.

I live in Tokyo, and honestly no real big complaints. I do think not knowing Japanese would make it a lot tougher. It's very tourist friendly but I honestly wonder how some people manage without Japanese here. Even going to a restaurant would be troublesome.

Oct 28, 2017

Having spent a month in Japan for work, the only train station I've encountered that is aggressively hostile would be Shinjuku station. If you ever go to Shinjuku station, my advice to you would be to just go up towards street level and figure out where you want to go from there.