• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
This is a surprise. Young Matt Damon, Jude Law and Cate Blanchett. Some research revealed that this was based on a book. I can see why they became more prominent because they did a great job acting out this movie. As in the acting vecines the entire lynchpin on whether the film is good or not. And with the state of today, I shouldn't be surprised about the outcome of the film. 7.5/10

Days of Heaven (1978)
You know how Seinfeld invented so much of modern sitcoms people seem it boring? This is it in movie form. The filming industry owes so much of its cinematography to this movie I thought it was made 20 years later. Only The Godfather series has given me that vibe. Add stellar performances from the actors and you have a delight of movie. I just wish I watched this earlier to be more awe inspired by it. 7.75/10.
Based on these two reviews, you might want to check out The American Friend. Criterion has it on disc and streaming. I watched it for the first time a month or two ago when I was going through Robby Muller's work and was very impressed. It's a Ripley adaptation but I would never have made the connection if they had changed the character's name. It plays more like a brainer precursor to the Bourne movies(without the emphasis on action) or The Conversation's European cousin, although the conspiracy element is much more local. Bruno Ganz and Dennis Hopper are fantastic and it has some of the best cinematography of the era.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Can anyone recommend any films less than 100 mins long? Anything special from the last 10 years or so?

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I watched Noah (2014) yesterday and thought it was pretty fantastic.

It's as if Tolkien wrote the Bible and Aronofsky made a movie about the chapter of Noah.

8/10

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
+1 on GBH
Can anyone recommend any films less than 100 mins long? Anything special from the last 10 years or so?
You Were Never Really Here (90min)
tumblr_ovj4zcSesl1tk2heto2_1280.png

Slow West (84min)
slow-west-7.jpg

I Lost My Body (81min)
EOqgz7yWAAAc-e_.jpg

Tangerine (88min)
Tangerine_Still.jpg

Cold War (88min)
1282208_cold-war-2-c-cannes-competition.jpg

World Of Tomorrow (part 1: 17min, part 2: 22min)
sddefault.jpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Once Upon a Time in the West [Rewatch]
★★★★★

With each film of his Dollars Trilogy, Sergio Leone defined the iconography of the spaghetti western, elevated the frontier and its gunslingers to grand mythic heights. With Once Upon A Time In The West, Leone refracts that myth through a prism of naturalistic restraint. The mystique is more heightened than ever but the world is also bleaker, more lived-in and weathered.

Like a mission statement, the opening is a tour-de-force of audiovisual texture and patient storytelling. From the creaking groan of a door to cracking knuckles, the frontier is established as a place cluttered with activity and life. A rugged cacophony complements Leone's densely-packed frames, with diegetic sounds underscoring the action as much as Morricone's score. Patient camerawork and immaculate compositions turn the hardscrabble mundane of the Wild West into a canvas of shadow and doorways and wide vistas. A still gorgeous but rougher and faded west, grand but more nihilistic; its heroes and villains follow suit.

Leone's deconstructive intentions are made very clear by his desire to have the Good Bad Ugly leads as the bandits in the opening. Unfortunately that didn't happen but the themes still resonate. Once Upon A Time In The West is also the story of a trio: mysterious kindness, black-hearted malice, wily heart of gold. But those familiar archetypes are tweaked in intriguing ways. Unlike Clint's iconic drifter, Bronson's enigmatic "Harmonica" is a man of many names, his taciturn coolness seeming hollowed by violence. Fonda's against-type villain has none of Angel Eye's slimy charm, acting like a relic of cold-eyed black-hat evil in an era of barons and contracts. And Cheyenne is another outlaw fox in the vein of Tuco, but Robards' performance gives his bandit a sense of honor, regret, and genuine humanity.

However, Claudia Cardinale's widow is the standout and lynchpin of Once Upon A Time In The West. If the cat-and-mouse between gunslingers is a remnant of a dying frontier, Jill is its future. While the story's men are hardened by leathery vengeance and old scars, she exemplifies both frontier shrewdness and city-born idealism. Encroaching civilization is at the core of Leone's intimate epic, a race between capitalistic cruelty and empathy for the soul of the west.

Daniel Isn't Real
★★★
Suffers from some weak performances and a shallow/questionable portrayal of mental illness, but Daniel Isn't Real is strong where it counts: imaginary friend creepiness, existential nightmare trauma, and batshit body horror with low-key Society vibes. Lil' Schwarzenegger chews the scenery with a grin while oozing a slimy menace that makes for a memorable antagonist. Daniel Isn't Real is best when director Adam Egypt Mortimer goes all-in on the nasty flesh-warping and vaguely cosmic horror, leading to a third act that pushed the lighting and mind dungeon imagery into overdrive. When the inevitable Nightmare On Elm Street soft re-quel comes around, Mortimer needs to be part of the conversation.

Heroes Shed No Tears
★★★½
Lacks for interesting characters (although Eddy Ko has action star presence as the team leader) and the plot is an episodic perfunctory exercise. The pacing loses steam in the second half. But John Woo knows how to overcome those weaknesses: big guns, bigger explosions, and ninety minutes of destruction.

Heroes Shed No Tears is what you get if Chang Cheh had made a Vietnam war actioner or if the opening act of Predator was an entire movie. The simple story follows a Chinese mercenary squad as they extract a drug-trafficking general, while his forces and other enemies pursue them through the Golden Triangle jungles. From that premise erupts a nonstop barrage of bullets, mortars, grenades, blades, and fists; squibs and pyrotechnics galore, as bodies are riddled with lead or swallowed by flame and smoke. There's a reckless sloppiness to the carnage, with little of the elegance that defines Woo's future films. This is purely chaotic survival among mud and blood. Wartime slasher brutality as spear-wielding trackers emerge from the swamp, booby traps perforate flesh, and grisly torture leaves eyeballs to shrivel under the blazing sun. Woo is obviously known for his sleek hyper-stylish bloodshed, but Heroes Shed No Tears is an incredible display of his action filtered through schlocky battlefield mayhem.

A Good Woman Is Hard to Find
★★★½
A Good Woman Is Hard To Find turned out to be an unexpectedly great Mother's Day watch. Sarah Bolger's powerhouse performance carries this sustained-burn of a crime thriller. A genuine struggle to support her children and the standoffish relationship with her own bluntly-concerned mother provide a strong emotional center. Bolger's journey feels believable and nuanced: warmth, haggard trauma, cautious fear, assertive strength.

Overall, this is a film whose parts all coalesce into a greater whole. The backstory that gradually emerges through the icy small-town haze surrounding our protagonist. The quirky grammatical menace of its crime boss villain. The sharp stings of dark comedy. The dramatic character-driven sheen over exploitation-style thrills, until a delightfully gory finale. All those parts are quite entertaining, but Bolger is the glue holding it all together.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for the film recommendations!!

I love Grand Budapest. I randomly caught it at red cinema as my first Wes Anderson, and I've since watched them all.

thanks for the cool list Messofanego!

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Sonic the Hedgehog: Well, it's certainly better than Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter (though Street Fighter was so bad it's good). It feels like Transformers where there's too much focus on the human characters. You still get your wisecracks, "Time in a Bottle" scenes, and even some spindashing. Rings are used in a way consistent with the games, sort of. Jim Carrey is of course the best part of this with how much fun he's having, and I do have to admit I'm impressed with how far he plans ahead with that tank. I swear he stole his drones from Aperture Science. Really, one of the best parts is the end credits that pays homage to the Genesis games. It's certainly worth a rent if you're a Sonic fan, just don't expect the best thing in the world. Really, I'd like to see what they'd do with a sequel. Heck, get the Chaos Emeralds involved.

Oct 27, 2017

I just rewatched Old Joy (2006) on the recent Criterion Bluray and it's a gem, shined to a polish at tidy 76 mins. Small and quiet is a register that Reichardt has mastered. I hope when the cinemas are safe to attend again that First Cow will get its moment in the sun.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Stuber - Okay action comedy. Glad I watched it on HBO and not in the theater. Funny in spurts, but not throughout and the action is just okay but not that spectacular. The opening action scene is pretty good though.

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matewan - "They got you fightin' white against colored, native against foreign, hollow against hollow, when you know there ain't but two sides in this world - them that work and them that don't. You work, they don't. That's all you get to know about the enemy."

The Battle of Matewan occurred 100 years ago today. The Criterion Collection release of this has been sitting on my shelf for the past few weeks, so I thought it would be as good a day as any to watch John Sayles' film. Really impressed with this. Stellar performances from the whole cast and steady direction ground the film in its own brand of rugged realism. The film's realist tone complements the subject matter perfectly. You won't find many bombastic, aesthetic flourishes here. There's a confidence to the storytelling here that trusts the audience to invest in these characters because their story is simultaneously intimate and universal. It's a story that has perpetuated itself for centuries: workers that are fighting for what's theirs. It's the story of America. It's a story that is just as vital -- if not more so -- as it was in 1987.

Matewan highlights a fraught time in American history that, very pointedly, doesn't get taught in schools or discussed in most of the media. It's pretty easy to figure out why. John Sayles' uses the story of Matewan, West Virginia as a case study in the relationship between race, class, labor, community, and how they influence and inform one another. It's John Sayles' plead for solidarity against a common adversary almost all of us share. Stories like Matewan ask us to confront difficult, uncomfortable aspects about who we are as a country. 100 years later, are we any closer to giving the working class what they've earned? Unabashedly political and steadfast in its beliefs, Matewan is a vital watch that has meaningful things to say and actual gives enough of a damn to say them out loud for everyone to hear.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Scoob!: I was watching with friends, and two important questions were brought up: "Who is this for?" and "Does anyone actually like Blue Falcon?" It starts out great at first, with a cop letting Scooby off the hook because he has a middle name. It even (mostly) recreates the original 1969 opening theme. Then Capt-err, Blue Falcon gets involved, and then it just gets weird. Fred, Velma, and Daphne felt largely useless. Oh, and kids know who Simon Cowell is, right? Heck, he's so modeled on the real person, he looks jarringly weird sitting next to the rest of the gang. Motivations make little sense. Events make little sense. The casting makes little sense. So in closing:

tenor.gif

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I watched Paddington 1 & 2 over the last two days and yep people are right, there are great films. Just fun and easy to watch. I see Pad 3 is due at the end of the year? We'll see with whats going on in the world right now, but i'll definitely watch that at the cinema this time.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I watched The Invisible Man (2020) the other night.

I was expecting a lot, given how good Leigh Wannell's Upgrade was, and this didn't disappoint - for the most part. It was impeccably shot, really well acted, and fairly well paced. There were a couple of moments that fell rather flat for me, though:

Cecelia's sister dying just didn't ring true, for some reason. Part of it was because the actress playing her did a rather hammy job of the death itself, part was down to the VFX looking oddly ropey in that scene, and the rest was because it represented such a serious, unnecessary escalation on the antagonist's part. We're talking about a guy who's directed his anger solely at Cecelia until that point, apart from where he hits the cop's daughter. It also seemed an extreme reaction to the circumstances - why not just steal the suit back? - and looked a lot like a pure plot contrivance to get Cecelia jailed / committed.

On balance, the film was a definite step up the "Hollywood ladder" from Upgrade, but I think it also lost some of the lean energy that film had. The above spoiler and a couple of other segments felt as though they were ways of artificially forcing the plot back onto its rails.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
Extraction (2020)
The John Wick inspiration is palpable, but the execution is terrible. Excluding a competent chase sequence in the first act, the whole movie feels like a bad white savior videogame shotter. Even as a cliched action movie, there's some baffling choices. Why introduce a evil henchman killing kids in a heavy scene and completely left him out of the action? This is the type of villain that dies gruesomely in the end. Then, these traumatized kids get involved in a action (with comedy!) scene fighting Thor? Awful movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai Wolf
★★★★
Zatoichi meets Yojimbo, in spirit anyway. Samurai Wolf is Hideo Gosha stripping the genre to its essence and letting the blades clash on the canvas. Our hero Kiba is an unusual sort: a wholesome do-gooder, the kind of ronin who will handicap himself after noticing that his opponent is injured. That doesn't mean he won't strike his enemies down in a heartbeat, but Yoshiro Aoki plays the role with a heart-of-gold charm and roguish quirkiness that turns his cipher of a samurai into a memorable presence. Just watch out for those beard scissors of his, they're deadlier than they seem.

Released a few year after Three Outlaw Samurai and Sword of the Beast, Samurai Beast tells a fairly complex story through simple potting. There's a trade relay run by a blind woman, a corrupt boss, a scheming brothel mistress, two different trios of assassins, another assassin with a mysterious past, dark secrets, double-crosses, and revenge. That's a lot of plot snugly packed into 75 minutes, yet Samurai Wolf never seems over-stuffed or rushed or convoluted. Gosha weaves all those motivations and consequences into a lean air-tight narrative, propelled by the director's eye for stylish action and stylistic compositions. Eschewing the genre's usual wide shots and elegant sword strokes, the swordplay of Samurai Wolf has a claustrophobic clumsiness that favors cunning and improvisation over superhuman skill. If you're looking for an action-packed rush of samurai action, succinct and direct but crafted with distinct flair, you won't be disappointed by Samurai Wolf.

Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival [#21]
★★★★
Kenji Misumi's final contribution to the series is one of the most stylistic entries. Plot-wise, Zatoichi Goes To The Fire Festival is a meandering thread of stories and vignettes, loosely linked by the schemes of a Moriarty-like Yakuza mastermind named Yamikubo. Some of those stories are fantastic, like Sword of Doom's Tatsuya Nakadai as a nameless ronin seeking vengeance upon Ichi and slaying anyone who gets in his way. Other stories, like the effeminate underling who needs to learn "how to be a man", drag the pacing to a bizarre (and uncomfortably dated) halt.

But that overarching plot is such a thrilling clash of hero and villain; Yamikubo acts as a fun antagonistic foil to Zatoichi: a blind lord of the underworld who can respect his nemesis but also strike out with cruel cunning plans. Those plans unleash stunning swordplay mayhem, shot with the same striking compositions and surreal creativity that Misumi would bring to Lone Wolf & Cub. An early forest ambush holds steady and silent on a shot lit by streaks of sun. A bathhouse fracas is a bold sequence of naked assassins, slapstick gags, fierce action, and fountains of blood. The bravura finale is a roller coaster of mind games and Bondian traps, villainous bravado and slaughter by the dozens. It's the series's most inventive, pulpy, and epic conclusion yet. Misumi leaves Zatoichi behind on an incredible high note.

The Great Silence [Rewatch]
★★★★★
Hadn't seen The Great Silence in several years and I had forgotten how utterly bleak and vicious it was. Corbucci always found fascinating angles to explore in the genre; his frontier is one where the native american is the vengeful hero, where Confederate bastards can be protagonists. The Great Silence is his most topsy-turvy vision, even more so than Django's decaying corner of the west. Outlaws are the desperate victims, bounty hunters the ruthless villains. The genre's dust and mud are frozen under deep blinding snow. The law is not a bastion of civilization against a lawless frontier, but a corrupt sanction to justify murder, demonization, and profit. It's telling that Corbucci structures the plot so that Silence's law-bound gunslinging is both his shield and his downfall.

The Great Silence remains one of the best and most gut-wrenching westerns, Corbucci at his most sadistic.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Scoob! (2020) - I have come to the conclusion that this was not a Scooby-Doo film. Sure it has the mannerisms and a lot of the antics, but that didn't seem to be the purpose. It felt more like a Hanna-Barbara tie in disguises as a Scooby-Doo movie. This was especially apparent in the Mystery Inc. casting minis Scooby. The cast did what they could, but their inexperience showed (I still find using Shaggy's usual voice actor as Scooby to be baffling). I also felt the subversions of the personalities didn't fit, especially when compared to Mystery Incorporsted. Still, what saved this movie was the humor. As in, it had me in stitches for much of the film. That or I'm really depraved for new movie content. 6.5/10

Widows (2018) Decided to check this our thanks to HBO. I liked how intertwined the plot was, even tying to the plot twist that wasn't that obvious at first glance. It's a slow burn, but I was prepared for it. Plus, the acting is superb. 7.5/10

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Alita: Battle Angel

It was alright, cool action and I enjoyed the world design. However for a film which is 98% CGI it was sure wonky at times. Alot of bad green screen and uncanny valley. Poopy acting sometimes too. If anything I am interested in watching the original anime now.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
They Shall Not Grow Old: It wasn't until right after I started watching that I should have saved this for Memorial Day. For those expecting colorized footage and not seeing it, it doesn't come in until about 25 minutes in. I love how it's presented, stitching together interview clips to create a whole experience. The colorization makes it more vivid. Trench life and the graphic violence of war are discussed, but they also say they have no regrets and that war was just a job to be done. What was most interesting is the end of the war and the return home.

War is hell.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
They Shall Not Grow Old: It wasn't until right after I started watching that I should have saved this for Memorial Day. For those expecting colorized footage and not seeing it, it doesn't come in until about 25 minutes in. I love how it's presented, stitching together interview clips to create a whole experience. The colorization makes it more vivid. Trench life and the graphic violence of war are discussed, but they also say they have no regrets and that war was just a job to be done. What was most interesting is the end of the war and the return home.

War is hell.

I watched this on a plane, which was dumb. It really is an incredible documentary.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Jojo Rabbit

What a fantastic film, hilarious, heartfelt with some suprising twists.

Some fantastic acting as well, that kid that played jojo was brilliant.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Dolemite is My Name
The first 30-45 minutes were not good, actually kind of bad. Mainly because I'm so burned out on these tired ass "main character has a sudden epihany that lays out the next stage of their life in a single moment" biopic contrivances. I mean, they literally have a shot of Rudy looking up at the light from a projector in a movie theater as the inspiration for him getting into movies! Come on. But once the film shifts into the making-of-Dolemite stuff, and delves into this slice of film history, it starts to gel. Nice to see Eddie Murphy giving a shit again.
7/10

Mad Max: Fury Road

Rewatch. I've never loved this way the most seem to do; I've just never had that transcendent GOAT experience, so anytime I watch this, even though I really like it, it always feel like it's coming short for me in some way I can't articulate. It's an awesome movie, but I wish I could watch it divorced from all those expectations. My favorite setpiece remains Max and Furiosa driving the war rig through the canyon while shooting bikers out the air.
8/10

In the Loop

Rewatch. Technically, as I did see this years ago, but I remembered so little of it. Having just watched The Thick of It recently, seemed like a good opportunity to revisit this. While it doesn't match the high points of the series, it's a good, funny companion piece, and a nice excuse to see Peter Capaldi in Malcolm Tucker form again. Odd choice to have many other Thick of It alums play different characters who are still essentially the same characters as their TV counterparts but with different names. The big deviation being Tom Hollander, who has like a 60 second cameo in the series but is one of the main characters here -- and is great. Difficult difficult lemon difficult.
7/10

The Empire Strikes Back

40th anniversary rewatch. What is there to say? This movie rules. While sometimes I feel that some of the writing exalting this movie is a tad overblown, when you sit down to watch it, it's like oh yeah, it kind of deserves the hype. It looks gorgeous, production design is amazing, Williams turns in one of his very best scores (every time we see that first shot of the imperial fleet, I always think how crazy it is something as iconic as the Imperial March didn't come into play until this film). One quibble: the passage of time makes no sense here: either Luke is only spending hours training with Yoda, or the Falcon is on the run for way longer than is implied. But whatever. I could go on with what this movie does right (expanding the scope of the SW setting without getting lost in the minutia of tedious world-building; an atypical plot structure that begins in media res and ends without resolution, both of which seem normal now but were unusual for the time; the deeper, more nuanced view of the Force and the dark side). But it's Empire, you already know.
10/10

The Town

Rewatch. I love this movie, man. It might be little cutesy in certain spots, but it's just a fun genre flick with a good cast and some great cinematography (somehow didn't realize til now that Robert Elswit shot this). It's like a breezy version of Heat. Having moved to Boston around the same this was filming, this movie also has both a hometown feel and a slight nostalgic touch that give it an extra charm for me.
9/10

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Hugo - This film is a sumptuous visual feast. Has some of Scorsese's best shots. The switch from Kingsley to real Melies' footage is amazing. The dialogue is cloying and Sacha Baron Cohen'a attempts at humour are dead air which don't gel well with the rest of the film. These things along with the lack of narrative thrust hurts the film. It's certainly fallen in critical popularity following its reception. But the visual language of the film remains a strong attraction, with Scorsese pulling off some great visual metaphors and homages. Some may find the film history lesson aspects of this overbearing but I personally loved it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
In the Loop
Rewatch. Technically, as I did see this years ago, but I remembered so little of it. Having just watched The Thick of It recently, seemed like a good opportunity to revisit this. While it doesn't match the high points of the series, it's a good, funny companion piece, and a nice excuse to see Peter Capaldi in Malcolm Tucker form again. Odd choice to have many other Thick of It alums play different characters who are still essentially the same characters as their TV counterparts but with different names. The big deviation being Tom Hollander, who has like a 60 second cameo in the series but is one of the main characters here -- and is great. Difficult difficult lemon difficult.
7/10
I similarly saw this years ago and remember very little. Despite that I still think "difficult difficult lemon difficult" pretty often lol
Meaning to rewatch this now that I've just about finished going through Veep for the first time.

Oct 27, 2017
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

I'm no Peckinpah expert, but I've now seen 4 of his movies and this seems like the purest, most true expression of his artistic vision—Peckinpah distilled—a desperate tale of dirt, violence, and inevitability. The whole thing feels so weary, so joyless, even more so than Pat Garrett, suffused with just enough romance, humor, and stylistic intrigue to distract (to a point) from how broken and beat up it really is. I don't want to say Warren Oates carries the movie, because Isela Vega is superb and Peckinpah's touch is so apparent, but nevertheless a lot rests on his shoulders. Bennie is a weird mix of reluctant hero, greedy SOB, embittered cuckold, and unkillable roach. He is despicable, but also charismatic and tender. His relationship with Elita, predicated upon a mutual sense of disappointment, both with life and each other, as much as it is upon love, feels so real; there are feelings involved, don't get me wrong, undeniable pangs of melancholic desire, but it's also easier that way, practical. The film is macho, too macho really (there's a particular elbow to the face of a woman that hits like a shotgun), full of rage and misogyny and heartbreak, but never glorifies itself. In fact, it seems to be consciously doing the opposite, erasing room for interpretation with every bullet fired until it's long passed clear that the regrettable, flawed, and tragically avoidable way of life inhabited by Peckinpah's characters (and by extension himself?) can only end one way: in the grave.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Carpenter's Vampires... What the hell happened to John in 90s? Dude went from master to joke. I guess Mouth of Madness is good movie, at some level, I mean I never liked it. But at least I could see why some people find it good. But this one was total waste of time. God dam! I didn't know you could go lower from Escape from L.A but he managed it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Carpenter's Vampires... What the hell happened to John in 90s? Dude went from master to joke. I guess Mouth of Madness is good movie, at some level, I mean I never liked it. But at least I could see why some people find it good. But this one was total waste of time. God dam! I didn't know you could go lower from Escape from L.A but he managed it.
Vampires is his worst movie full stop

I like some of the 90s stuff though. I'm not a person who thinks it's his best movie but In the Mouth of Madness is good. Village of the Damned has more going for it than you might think, Body Bags is fun, Memoirs of an Invisible Man has neat effects and is breezy.

Tomboy (2011): Up until Portrait of a Lady on Fire this was my favourite Celine Sciamma film, and it holds up very well revisiting it for the first time in a number of years. Running only slightly over 80 minutes, it's slim and economical storytelling of a sort that we seldom see from auteurs these days. Plot is minimal, but the sense of authenticity and connection with the characters is immense, and Sciamma gets great work from her cast of mostly child performers.

The Decameron (1971): Pier Paolo Pasolini's first entry in the "Trilogy of Life", in this case a ribald adaptation of selected Giovanni Boccaccio tales from the immense compendium of the same name. As with almost any such episodic work, some tales are more engaging than others, and it's certainly remarkable when you consider how censorship standards had collapsed so much in just a few years to allow a film like this to even be made in the first place, what with frequent nudity and defiance of moral sensibilities. That said, the acting is frequently kind of bad, not helped by the awful dubbing so characteristic of many Italian films of this period.

Sullivan's Travels (1941): Some years ago I watched several of Preston Sturges' films in a row after getting the DVD set, and have revisited some of them individually since -- in this case, I upgraded to the Criterion Blu-ray. This is often regarded as Sturges' best film, which wasn't my initial impression -- a lot of that had to do with the tone, a frequent issue I have with Sturges' work, in particular his attempts at broad physical comedy that often didn't work for me. But on revisiting it, this is better than my first impression, particularly as it hits many of my key criteria for Sturges' best work, such as minimal presence from William Demarest. Veronica Lake, in the role that made her a star, is terrific, and Joel McCrea gives one of his better performances. The scene in the black church is interesting in terms of the degree of dignity afforded the characters, unusual for the period, especially as otherwise Sturges films (this one included) otherwise make use of the sort of clownish black comic figures more typically expected of Hollywood films of the period.

The Anderson Tapes (1971): Sean Connery (hairline in full retreat, but chest hair as fulsome as ever) stars as an ex-con who immediately starts planning a new robbery, this time of a whole luxury apartment bloc. As he goes about scheming, his scheming is inadvertently recorded at numerous different points by private detectives or various government agencies investigating unrelated activities, none of whom put it together. The depiction of what is, in retrospect, the burgeoning pervasiveness of technological monitoring, is an interesting wrinkle in what is otherwise a fairly straightforward crime yarn. Director Sidney Lumet's customary attention to detail is compelling, but there's nothing truly exceptional here.

Wuthering Heights (2011): Andrea Arnold's 2011 adaptation of Emily Bronte's novel understands that almost every character in it is an awful person, if nothing else. Compared to the costume drama approach taken by most prior versions, this one is set in a world of grime, muck, and British regional accents. Arnold spends almost half the running time with the younger versions of the characters (which is to say, Heathcliff and Cathy, since, like almost all adaptations, this one completely excises the story of the second generation where Heathcliff goes full supervillain). The younger actors are the more compelling presences, it turns out, and despite the earthiness of the presentation it's kind of dull to watch by the end.

The Phantom Museum: Random Forays Into the Vaults of Sir Henry Wellcome's Medical Collection: A most strange advertisement! Sir Henry Wellcome's expansive collection of medical curios gets an unusual appreciation from the Quay Brothers, as they document how some of this equipment works in their unique way. Some of the artifacts on display here are so wild that it is actually amazing that they weren't original creations of the brothers, giving them ample material to work with in their "demonstrations" of how various apparatuses and figures work. And yet, knowing that they didn't create anything here beyond the animations themselves, to go with some grainy black & white footage of an unseen, white gloved figure ascending stairs frequently, does make this feel a bit impersonal as far as their talents are concerned, making one wish they used what they found in the vaults as inspiration for an original film, or that they assisted on a more traditional documentary short about the facilities, which does manage to speak for themselves with the glimpses of the sections that they obviously couldn't animate without causing damage to those pieces. It's a tough film to love for those reasons, but it does offer enough of the Quays' unique brand of appreciation for impossible, unwanted devices and machinations to make it a worthwhile watch.

His Girl Friday: I don't know if this is screwball perfection, but I'll be damned if it isn't close enough.

The Weavers of Nishijin: Proof that if you try hard enough, even menial labor can produce rich and alien visuals that entrance you for their duration. I have to imagine that the folks backing this documentary short would have preferred something more conventional, but Toshio Matsumoto's near avant-garde treatment of the titular district in Kyoto turns out to be a small stunner from start to finish, finding the beautiful geometry in hard labor and the the sinister machinations in the trade of such goods. It certainly helps add to the atmosphere that the score sounds very much like something one would hear from a horror-leaning sci-fi feature, though footage like a street market filled with goods that seem to have always been there or a top-down viewing of an executive board meeting to discuss how to bring the youth back to Nishijin hardly need additional help in eliciting strong sensations. Though I did skip ahead somewhat in the Matsumoto timeline when I watched Demons almost two years back, going back to go forward is already yielding promising results that make it easy to believe he was just that damn talented all along, making the wait to his feature film debut all the more exciting.

The Song of Stone: Yet again, I'm fascinated at anyone coming up with the funds for a documentary short and getting something this audacious. This time, Matsuomoto turns to a stone-cutters town, albeit through the lens of still photography, to produce something that's less a document and more of a staged ritual of sorts. Indeed, it's hard not to feel a bit unnerved with the way the film pans across the various stills, accompanied by a score that feels less like music and more like an occasionally rhythmic soundscape that captures some kind of entity in transition. If not exactly the stuff that cosmic nightmares are made of, it's about as close as you're likely to get with this sort of treatment, leaving one with the impression that there's some kind of life force that human eyes cannot simply see inside of stone, yet exists all the same to those attuned to its unique frequency. A rather engaging piece that keeps one entranced, though I would scarcely blame anyone for getting really nervous at the thought of passing a quarry any time soon!

Funeral Parade of Roses: As if one was watching the queerest adaptation of Oedipus Rex ever, projected onto broken shards of a mirror that was being picked up and attempted to be rearranged back in "order" by the director himself. Folks requiring traditional narratives need not apply here, but even those with that preference are likely to find something to love about this daring and exciting feature for how fearless it is in charging forth to the beat of its own drum and managing the near-impossible feat of looking, sounding and feeling like it was shot yesterday for a 50-year-old film. A truly dazzling, dizzying experience that one needs to experience for themselves.

Ecstasis: Not much more than a longer version of Guevera's short film in Funeral Parade of Roses, though I will admit that it makes his intentions of using his film as a kind of projection of whatever ability he thinks he has, directly into the minds of all that view it, a lot clearer. One certainly can appreciate a lot of the scattered images on display throughout it as well, including the image that would go on to be featured on the cover of the Blu-ray Arbelos Films (then Cineliscious Pics) put out, and the effect of creating a trance-like state is achieved. Perhaps not as effective without the context that the feature-length film that it belongs to provides, but a fascinating trip to take all the same.

Metastasis: A toilet bowl possibly goes supernova! Undoubtedly a pioneering and almost assuredly unintentional use of electro-color processing for non-medical purposes, one can get the sense that this art piece must've been something else in its intended venue back in 1971, but as it stands, it manages to achieve the impossible task of making a static image of a toilet bowl compelling for eight minutes with the way the image is able to change through color manipulation. Definitely not the kind of thing where you go in asking what it all means, and instead has you reflect on what it made you feel instead. For me? Well, that's between me and the toilet, thank you very much!

Expansion: Proving that he wasn't just quite done with this footage from Funeral Parade of Roses yet, Ecstasis gets reworked again into an electro-color odyssey, accompanied with footage from an installation that Matsumoto did elsewhere and scored to a hard-hitting psych rock score. The results? Well, it certainly is a hell of a trip, with the color shifts coming more frequently and seemingly unending in their variety, truly transforming an existing work into something else altogether. A personal theory of mine: perhaps this is the effect Guevera intended with his original film in the first place? No matter the reason why, this one definitely jackhammers into your consciousness in an aggressive yet strangely satisfying way.

Mona Lisa: ...well, you probably get the idea now from who made it and the title being what it is. The world's most famous portrait goes on quite the trip herself, transporting in and out of her natural backdrop as the video effects recolor, distort and even threaten to wash her out of the image altogether that doesn't seem altogether unlike a ritual of rebirth and cleansing. It can feel a bit slight at a mere three minutes in length, but perhaps Matsumoto felt he got everything he needed out of the old girl for a more directed experience.

Everything Visible is Empty: You will reach Enlightenment, whether you want to or not! Buddhist script and imagery fills this dazzling display that seemingly sets out to achieve just what that first sentence describes, literally ending in a light show that feels about right for the pinnacle of ascension that practitioners aspire to experience. Visually and aurally potent stuff from start to finish!

Atman: This feels an awful lot like what one would see after they die and realize that they're going to some version of hell! A simple setup, that of a person in a Hannya mask sitting on the shore of a lake as the camera pans around them, Matsumoto takes the opportunity to play around with the color timing, framerate, zoom length and, really, any damn thing he pleases for a supremely creepy piece that hits the spot for anyone wanting something with more of a horror vibe that his other shorts aren't interested in achieving, or for those who simply want something in the same vein as Demons when it comes to using simple yet striking imagery to drive the needles deep into your nerves. Perhaps the scariest thing of all: realizing that the subject probably isn't sitting on a chair, suggesting that they have thighs of steel or might actual be a demon waiting for you to wash up on her shores. I want to believe the former, but after watching something effective, I know deep down it must be the latter.

Oh, and I finally began a deep dive into the works of James Cameron, just because.

Xenogenesis: James Cameron made a name for himself in this co-directed effort, one that he had hoped would eventually spawn into a feature film of its own. While history did not see it the same way, it's hard not to be awfully impressed by Cameron's technological prowess here all the same, offering up impressive effects on a pittance of a budget, particularly in the climatic robot duel. It's certainly not hard to see where just about everything else couldn't be improved on, as the actors here are probably only considered as such on a scientific basis (lead actor William Wisher Jr. does become a rather important figure in Cameron's immediate future, though!), the in media res approach to the story still produces a rather anemic hook and, while understandable at this point in his career, it doesn't have nearly the kind of polish on all levels that he's used. Still, for what amounts to a glorified pitch film, it's hard not to see why Roger Corman and company hired him in short order to work on several projects for them, as he turned in rather impressive results on tiny budgets, securing at least that kind of future in filmmaking if the chips were to land that way. Part of me does wish that this did wind up getting resurrected down the line, but I have no doubt that Cameron already strip-mined everything worthwhile he had planned for this concept, which makes one wonder if anyone ever asked him about that aspect. A bright future certainly lays ahead for our budding intrepid filmmaker, though perhaps not without a bump in the road as we're likely about to experience...

Piranha II: The Spawning:
As the story goes, James Cameron, replacing another director who had been fired, barely lasted days into the shoot for this film before its producer Ovidio G. Assonitis decided that he didn't have what it took to deliver the film that he wanted to see, making himself the de facto director for the rest of the shoot. Despite already being heavily involved in multiple levels of the production, as the original special effects supervisor and as a screenwriter, and already being second-guessed on literally every choice he was making by Assonitis already, it must've hurt Cameron quite a bit to be so close to making a feature film of his own, only to have it wrestled away from him in such a disappointing fashion. The tales of him allegedly breaking into the editing bay on the film to get something close to his original vision don't sound all that crazy for the kind of passion he's known for on his other projects, even if those parts may carry a tall tale or two. Alas, his best efforts can't overcome contractual deals, and we are stuck with this being his first credited feature film as a director.

Naturally, little distinguishes this film for anything resembling his filmmaking ability, aside from the short sequences featuring flying piranha that bear an unmistakable similarity to the effects that would be employed for the facehuggers in Aliens, but what's more disappointing is that this barely resembles what one would have wanted out of a sequel to Piranha in the first place. The de facto best Jaws ripoff, Piranha's uncommon yet genuine wit and crowd-pleasing brutality helped make it a quick cult classic, yet you'd be hard-pressed to find either here in some of the dullest cheapie B-movie filmmaking ever made. One wonders if the reason why Assonitis was so adamant about kicking Cameron off the project was because he feared that he might actually make something halfway remarkable, putting into sharp relief just how dull and pedestrian his own talents were by comparison. Here, there's literally nothing that helps to make this stand out from the pack that's not something a person could read into the premise of flying piranhas eventually attacking folks on land. Sure, it's got some gore and female nudity in it, but I'm pretty sure that even those would have fared better in the hands of someone with a good eye, rather than someone who seems proud that they can see at all.

Well, there is one thing that does help make this stick out from the pack, though it's a highly dubious honor at best. In my time watching many a horror movie of a certain budget bracket, I don't think I can recall a single one that hates black people as much as this one, as it not only goes out of its way to ethnically cleanse anyone of that racial background, but the film reserves its bloodiest, most violent moments for them as well, lingering on their death throes in an almost perverse fashion. And given that the setting of the film is apparently Jamaica, getting rid of your black cast is no small feat!

The lesson Cameron learned here is an obvious one, given how frequently he would clash with producers thereafter and assert his authority far more definitively than he could have here, though making a good friend in the form of Lance Henriksen, soon to be a regular in his films, was certainly worth the headache in the long. Ironically, one of the few scenes that Cameron shot and was retained in the film was apparently the guffaw-inducing moment towards the end, where Henriksen is tasked with bailing on his helicopter for no particular reason, resulting in an explosion. A stunt that nearly killed both men, it's a sublimely stupid moment that called attention to the fact that the film had precious few of them to begin with. That is about as damning a statement for the state that this film is in: even when James Cameron does something really dumb, it's worth commenting on far more than anything else the film has going for it. You'll wish that the film was more inept on the whole to give you something to feel other than fatal indifference.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
In April I logged 16 movies of which 11 were new watches and 5 rewatches.

Top 5 New Watches
1. In The Mood For Love
2. Little Women (2019)
3. 2046
4. Call Me By Your Name
5. First Love

Others: Emma., If Beale Street Could Talk, Days of Being Wild, Hero, Audition, About Time.

Top 5 Rewatches
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
2. Arrival
3. Prisoners
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Dune: Alternative Edition Remux 3.0

godcgjqk.jpg

Watched The Godfather for the first time just now. It was a really good movie, it was beautiful to listen to, to look at, and it had some powerful performances. It's funny Vito Corleone got shot at the moment I was thinking about how little security he had, and was an easy target. I was shocked at how he was "supposedly" dead like 40 minutes into the movie already but he survived, and then died. I don't like this Michael guy. He seemed like the good-natured guy who wasn't involved in the disgusting family business. But then he does get involved, has to run off to Italy just to find him another sweet wife (who gets blown to pieces for being too excited), to then have the audacity to come back home to not only lie his wife in the face who he had already cheated on, but to call his sister hysterical after the beatings she's gone through, and losing her husband (fuck him too for his domestic violence on his wife and selling out the family) that he took from her. I know he does these moves for the good of his family, and that's the life they've chosen, but I can't cheer for this guy. It was a really good mob story though and I can definitely see why it's a classic. The sequel is gonna be interesting, and I can't wait to check it out, for the first time too. Was Part 1 & 2 always planned to be filmed as one story, cause it almost felt like one half of the story. It really also makes me appreciate The Irishman for deconstructing the mafia genre, I really liked the ending of that one.

[edit] Wait, wtf, I just looked up the cast. Michael is Al Pacino. 🤯

[edit 2] I think I was just spoiled on Part II, somebody mentioned someone dies in his villa where he first met Appolonia. Fuck me.

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on the last 2 weeks:

Johnny O'Clock (1947) **** / *****
Some of the best hardbitten dialogue and stark and shadowy imagery—when I want classic film noir this is exactly what I want. Dick Powell plays the title character, a mid-level gambling racketeer who is calm, collected, methodical. He doesn't indulge in vice or get worked up into rage by the callous and sloppy actions of the dirty police and sybaritic bosses and desirous femmes. He makes his money, he goes to bed, he wakes up and makes more money. As fractures grow in the relationship between Johnny and his casino partner, and as a dogged and principled police inspector circles him, the spurned girlfriend of a beat cop on the take turns up dead. Evelyn Keyes as her sister Nancy arrives, and while it's made to look like a suicide everyone knows better. Johnny and Nancy are drawn to each other, despite Johnny's resistance to any connection. As much as I love Keyes and especially Powell in a screwy comedy like Christmas in July, I love them in hardboiled pulp. Powell's stone-faced dedication to his work slipping, just enough to allow a drop of passion in that breaks the dam, is as compelling as it gets. The film simmers up to a thundercrack of a final confrontation, exhilarating enough and coming after such an engrossing web of gutter poetry dialogue and determined criminals has been woven that even the surely studio-mandated brighter ending is earned. I loved this—more Robert Rossen is definitely on my agenda.

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) ** / *****
Ebirah. Horror of the Deep. Humongous claws rise from the ocean to destroy a sailboat harboring a naive young man looking for his lost-at-sea brother, the two new friends he's dragged along, and a con man whose lies wrapped him up in the mess. This monster must be something so horrifying, a feverish Lovecraftian nightma—wait wait it's literally just a giant lobster never mind, just a big old lobster folks nothing to see here.

The humans in this Godzilla flick are fine but the absolute zero level creativity put into the monster design is a titanic issue, as are the severely boring confrontations between Ebirah and Godzilla (when the dude finally wakes up). Ends with a button that's supposed to be a resurrection of the franchise's warnings on nuclear proliferation, but I kinda missed where the nuclear angle was ever established. An evil organization is harbored on this deserted island, where Godzilla is dormant in rock and Ebirah kills all that tries to reach or leave the island. The only way to get in and out of the island is with this yellow slurry made from some plant on the island. It's clear these terrorists aren't up to anything good, but all I recall seeing them do is enslave the natives to manufacture the yellow slurry. Plus even if their actions involve nuclear weapons, it's not their actions that involve Ebirah or Godzilla. The monsters simply happen to be there, so they can't work as stand-ins for the uncontainable horrors of nuclear power or the consequences of violating the natural world. Anyway Mothra also stops in for no reason. Two bones.

The Murderer Lives at Number 21 aka L'assassin habite au... 21 (1942) **1/2 / *****
2+1=3 I get it. Outside of the early murder, where a drunken former tramp who is flush with cash after a lottery win is stalked through the nighttime streets by a figure with a cane, captured in a continuous POV shot, the film has few thrills going for it. Inspector Wens learns a serial killer named Durand lives at a boarding house and goes to investigate. The murder-mystery shenanigans never drew me in much. The comedic portion of the film works alright. Suzy Delair is delightful as the hammy right-hand woman to Inspector Wens, and the butler who incessantly practices birdsong imitations is amusing. I also enjoyed at the beginning when we see the chain of command, superiors demanding a culprit be caught in X days or the subordinate will be fired, only for that subordinate to demand the same from their subordinate in X/2 days, until it all lands on Wens's shoulders. Otherwise? Not much flair, and I was dissatisfied with the resolution. What the viewer knows that the characters do not comes from the opening POV shot: the killer uses a sword sheathed in a light colored walking cane, and the killer would somehow not be of interest to the police on sight. Two characters use a light colored walking cane, and one is a blinded former-boxer named Kid Robert. I kept waiting for the film to pull focus to Kid Robert, because eventually the only possible outcomes are that he's the killer or that multiple people are the killer (which you hold in your mind as a possibility if you've seen more than two whodunits in your life). The film goes the multiple killers route, which okay fine. Smuggling in a Nazi salute held up by a villain at the end may be badass, but the rest of the movie is stale.

Network (1976) [rewatch] *** / *****
Very likely the biggest drop I've had in my estimation for a movie between viewings, from 4.5 to 3. Upon my last viewing I remarked on the Max and Diane relationship being one-note and tiresome as if it were a small issue. However, merely by pure runtime that relationship takes up so. much. of the movie. There are at least three different, more fascinating plot threads going on. The revolutionary radicals of the Ecumenical Liberation Army are being swallowed up by the monoculture. The American Communist Party is making commercial decisions and disputing gross profits with a TV network. And of course—Howard Beale! Howard fucking Beale. The only character anybody truly remembers from this film is functionally absent for an entire hour. Why not show us more of his rise to stardom, detail how his newfound platform inures his base unfiltered rage at the world. Hell, give me 20 minutes of Sybill the Soothsayer, what's her deal. Instead we get the one funny moment of Diane fucking Max and coming while continuing to gasp and moan about ratings shares, and then a whole bunch of boring bullshit.

Here's what I think the other element of it is: when you're about twenty and basking in the (later to be revealed as false) remediation of the Obama years, this film seems chock full of lessons we need to wake up to. When you're almost thirty and drudging through hell world, the lessons of this film seem obvious and known by all. Network simply reminds you that, as a whole, we have decided we don't feel like learning anything from them.

Sword of Trust (2019) *** / *****
I can't help from feeling a mite ghoulish when I respond to an artist's death by taking in some of their work. Although, this really only happens when I feel I haven't met a certain threshold of connection to the artist—I certainly didn't feel bad listening to Bowie for a month straight after he passed. Here I feel a tinge of that even though I have encountered a good amount of Lynn Shelton's work. Your Sister's Sister is good, her TV work on New Girl and Mad Men and especially Love stood out to me.

Regardless—I watched Sword of Trust the afternoon Shelton died, and it's a funny and light—light even though it plays in the spheres of white supremacist and radical conspiracist secret societies—and weird semi-improvised comedy with great performances from Michaela Watkins and Marc Maron. Also it has Toby Huss playing a character called Hog Jaws, which is a name I'll always remember, and one time when Hog Jaws rolls up in a muscle car he revs it really loud before turning the car off and Maron's character responds "I don't think he needed to do that to turn the car off" which is a moment I'll always remember.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) ***1/2 / *****
Best action so far in the series. The fistfights are barely controlled maelstroms, free-for-all fists and messy tosses and throws cut together hectically. Plus: there are a lot of them! OHMSS feels an action movie with a spycraft skin, not a spy film that has some compulsory fights. This alone would make it top tier of the franchise thus far. Throw in Lazenby's awesome take on 007 where he's more affable yet with an undercurrent of recklessness, the skiing sequences, the surprisingly affecting romance and its conclusion, and you have a winner. Can't wait to see where they went next with Lazenby as Bond! Sorry, what?

Stray Dog (1949) **** / *****
So sweaty and stormy the air around you gets muggy while watching. Mifune disappears into the role of a young homicide detective who has his gun stolen and doggedly tracks it down, wandering the streets through days of sweltering heat and pouring rain and attempting to sew together slender threads of clues as to the identities of the gun racketeers and wretched criminals using his weapon. Simply a classic moral dilemma from Kurosawa: Mifune must wade through dozens of men and women who have disregarded their duties to their fellow men, all to ensure his mistake causes no more harm. The weight and grace of responsibility.

I also watched The Godfather last night, funnily enough, first time in a long time. Probably going to watch Part II tonight so I'm waiting to put down thoughts until then.
Heh, I watched with my partner and I had to point this out. Same with Diane Keaton. They look so different and young.

Last edited:

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
godcgjqk.jpg

Watched The Godfather for the first time just now. It was a really good movie, it was beautiful to listen to, to look at, and it had some powerful performances. It's funny Vito Corleone got shot at the moment I was thinking about how little security he had, and was an easy target. I was shocked at how he was "supposedly" dead like 40 minutes into the movie already but he survived, and then died. I don't like this Michael guy. He seemed like the good-natured guy who wasn't involved in the disgusting family business. But then he does get involved, has to run off to Italy just to find him another sweet wife (who gets blown to pieces for being too excited), to then have the audacity to come back home to not only lie his wife in the face who he had already cheated on, but to call his sister hysterical after the beatings she's gone through, and losing her husband (fuck him too for his domestic violence on his wife and selling out the family) that he took from her. I know he does these moves for the good of his family, and that's the life they've chosen, but I can't cheer for this guy. It was a really good mob story though and I can definitely see why it's a classic. The sequel is gonna be interesting, and I can't wait to check it out, for the first time too. Was Part 1 & 2 always planned to be filmed as one story, cause it almost felt like one half of the story. It really also makes me appreciate The Irishman for deconstructing the mafia genre, I really liked the ending of that one.

Sounds like Good Guy Michael alright, heheheh.....

Catching up on the last 2 weeks:

Johnny O'Clock (1947) **** / *****
Some of the best hardbitten dialogue and stark and shadowy imagery—when I want classic film noir this is exactly what I want. Dick Powell plays the title character, a mid-level gambling racketeer who is calm, collected, methodical. He doesn't indulge in vice or get worked up into rage by the callous and sloppy actions of the dirty police and sybaritic bosses and desirous femmes. He makes his money, he goes to bed, he wakes up and makes more money. As fractures grow in the relationship between Johnny and his casino partner, and as a dogged and principled police inspector circles him, the spurned girlfriend of a beat cop on the take turns up dead. Evelyn Keyes as her sister Nancy arrives, and while it's made to look like a suicide everyone knows better. Johnny and Nancy are drawn to each other, despite Johnny's resistance to any connection. As much as I love Keyes and especially Powell in a screwy comedy like Christmas in July, I love them in hardboiled pulp. Powell's stone-faced dedication to his work slipping, just enough to allow a drop of passion in that breaks the dam, is as compelling as it gets. The film simmers up to a thundercrack of a final confrontation, exhilarating enough and coming after such an engrossing web of gutter poetry dialogue and determined criminals has been woven that even the surely studio-mandated brighter ending is earned. I loved this—more Robert Rossen is definitely on my agenda.

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) ** / *****
Ebirah. Horror of the Deep. Humongous claws rise from the ocean to destroy a sailboat harboring a naive young man looking for his lost-at-sea brother, the two new friends he's dragged along, and a con man whose lies wrapped him up in the mess. This monster must be something so horrifying, a feverish Lovecraftian nightma—wait wait it's literally just a giant lobster never mind, just a big old lobster folks nothing to see here.

The humans in this Godzilla flick are fine but the absolute zero level creativity put into the monster design is a titanic issue, as are the severely boring confrontations between Ebirah and Godzilla (when the dude finally wakes up). Ends with a button that's supposed to be a resurrection of the franchise's warnings on nuclear proliferation, but I kinda missed where the nuclear angle was ever established. An evil organization is harbored on this deserted island, where Godzilla is dormant in rock and Ebirah kills all that tries to reach or leave the island. The only way to get in and out of the island is with this yellow slurry made from some plant on the island. It's clear these terrorists aren't up to anything good, but all I recall seeing them do is enslave the natives to manufacture the yellow slurry. Plus even if their actions involve nuclear weapons, it's not their actions that involve Ebirah or Godzilla. The monsters simply happen to be there, so they can't work as stand-ins for the uncontainable horrors of nuclear power or the consequences of violating the natural world. Anyway Mothra also stops in for no reason. Two bones.

The Murderer Lives at Number 21 aka L'assassin habite au... 21 (1942) **1/2 / *****
2+1=3 I get it. Outside of the early murder, where a drunken former tramp who is flush with cash after a lottery win is stalked through the nighttime streets by a figure with a cane, captured in a continuous POV shot, the film has few thrills going for it. Inspector Wens learns a serial killer named Durand lives at a boarding house and goes to investigate. The murder-mystery shenanigans never drew me in much. The comedic portion of the film works alright. Suzy Delair is delightful as the hammy right-hand woman to Inspector Wens, and the butler who incessantly practices birdsong imitations is amusing. I also enjoyed at the beginning when we see the chain of command, superiors demanding a culprit be caught in X days or the subordinate will be fired, only for that subordinate to demand the same from their subordinate in X/2 days, until it all lands on Wens's shoulders. Otherwise? Not much flair, and I was dissatisfied with the resolution. What the viewer knows that the characters do not comes from the opening POV shot: the killer uses a sword sheathed in a light colored walking cane, and the killer would somehow not be of interest to the police on sight. Two characters use a light colored walking cane, and one is a blinded former-boxer named Kid Robert. I kept waiting for the film to pull focus to Kid Robert, because eventually the only possible outcomes are that he's the killer or that multiple people are the killer (which you hold in your mind as a possibility if you've seen more than two whodunits in your life). The film goes the multiple killers route, which okay fine. Smuggling in a Nazi salute held up by a villain at the end may be badass, but the rest of the movie is stale.

Network (1976) [rewatch] *** / *****
Very likely the biggest drop I've had in my estimation for a movie between viewings, from 4.5 to 3. Upon my last viewing I remarked on the Max and Diane relationship being one-note and tiresome as if it were a small issue. However, merely by pure runtime that relationship takes up so. much. of the movie. There are at least three different, more fascinating plot threads going on. The revolutionary radicals of the Ecumenical Liberation Army are being swallowed up by the monoculture. The American Communist Party is making commercial decisions and disputing gross profits with a TV network. And of course—Howard Beale! Howard fucking Beale. The only character anybody truly remembers from this film is functionally absent for an entire hour. Why not show us more of his rise to stardom, detail how his newfound platform inures his base unfiltered rage at the world. Hell, give me 20 minutes of Sybill the Soothsayer, what's her deal. Instead we get the one funny moment of Diane fucking Max and coming while continuing to gasp and moan about ratings shares, and then a whole bunch of boring bullshit.

Here's what I think the other element of it is: when you're about twenty and basking in the (later to be revealed as false) remediation of the Obama years, this film seems chock full of lessons we need to wake up to. When you're almost thirty and drudging through hell world, the lessons of this film seem obvious and known by all. Network simply reminds you that, as a whole, we have decided we don't feel like learning anything from them.

Sword of Trust (2019) *** / *****
I can't help from feeling a mite ghoulish when I respond to an artist's death by taking in some of their work. Although, this really only happens when I feel I haven't met a certain threshold of connection to the artist—I certainly didn't feel bad listening to Bowie for a month straight after he passed. Here I feel a tinge of that even though I have encountered a good amount of Lynn Shelton's work. Your Sister's Sister is good, her TV work on New Girl and Mad Men and especially Love stood out to me.

Regardless—I watched Sword of Trust the afternoon Shelton died, and it's a funny and light—light even though it plays in the spheres of white supremacist and radical conspiracist secret societies—and weird semi-improvised comedy with great performances from Michaela Watkins and Marc Maron. Also it has Toby Huss playing a character called Hog Jaws, which is a name I'll always remember, and one time when Hog Jaws rolls up in a muscle car he revs it really loud before turning the car off and Maron's character responds "I don't think he needed to do that to turn the car off" which is a moment I'll always remember.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) ***1/2 / *****
Best action so far in the series. The fistfights are barely controlled maelstroms, free-for-all fists and messy tosses and throws cut together hectically. Plus: there are a lot of them! OHMSS feels an action movie with a spycraft skin, not a spy film that has some compulsory fights. This alone would make it top tier of the franchise thus far. Throw in Lazenby's awesome take on 007 where he's more affable yet with an undercurrent of recklessness, the skiing sequences, the surprisingly affecting romance and its conclusion, and you have a winner. Can't wait to see where they went next with Lazenby as Bond! Sorry, what?

Stray Dog (1949) **** / *****
So sweaty and stormy the air around you gets muggy while watching. Mifune disappears into the role of a young homicide detective who has his gun stolen and doggedly tracks it down, wandering the streets through days of sweltering heat and pouring rain and attempting to sew together slender threads of clues as to the identities of the gun racketeers and wretched criminals using his weapon. Simply a classic moral dilemma from Kurosawa: Mifune must wade through dozens of men and women who have disregarded their duties to their fellow men, all to ensure his mistake causes no more harm. The weight and grace of responsibility.

I also watched The Godfather last night, funnily enough, first time in a long time. Probably going to watch Part II tonight so I'm waiting to put down thoughts until then.

Oh my God. Shelton passed away?

I am speechless, I don't know what to say beyond looking it up to confirm it was true... just a week ago. This is one of those out of the blue deaths that you can't possibly prepare for. She's always been a favorite director of mine in the mumblecore school, and whatever she came up with next, whether hit or miss, was bound to speak to something vested passionately within her.

May she rest in peace. I always wagered she had more of an illustrious path ahead of her. But her legacy lives on.

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Good Guy Michael alright, heheheh.....

Oh my God. Shelton passed away?

I am speechless, I don't know what to say beyond looking it up to confirm it was true... just a week ago. This is one of those out of the blue deaths that you can't possibly prepare for. She's always been a favorite director of mine in the mumblecore school, and whatever she came up with next, whether hit or miss, was bound to speak to something vested passionately within her.

May she rest in peace. I always wagered she had more of an illustrious path ahead of her. But her legacy lives on.
She's long been on my list to really dig into, because she's been one of maybe two filmmakers from the mumblecore group that actually has had numerous critics become fans of their continued work. (the other being Bujalski. I guess you could say Gerwig but she was just acting in those movies...but then again she was essentially also writing Hannah Takes the Stairs and Baghead and others so she was also in part the author...anyway I'm off track.) I wanna check out Humpday and Laggies especially. Sounds like it was really sudden, such a shame.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but anyone on Letterboxd might remember the prominent user and filmmaker Eli Hayes. He passed away today apparently, very sad.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but anyone on Letterboxd might remember the prominent user and filmmaker Eli Hayes. He passed away today apparently, very sad.
Wow very sad. I didn't know much about the guy but it was impossible to use the site without coming across some of his reviews, and I know he was about my age. I'm now seeing a bunch of younger cinephiles say he was their gateway to a lot of work, shame he's gone.
Ok yes damn good haha.

May 24, 2019

I'd never heard of him, but just looking at his stats, the guy saw an average of 26 films per week. Damn.
letterboxd.com

Eli Hayes’s 2020 in review

Eli Hayes’s 2020 in review

edit: I guess a lot of that's shorts. Some days had 20-something entries.