• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
0IkmIrm.gif

Source: Isle of Dogs

Welcome:
Hello and welcome to the monthly Movies You've Seen Recently thread. The place to hang out and talk movies with fellow movie lovers!

What happened to FilmEra?
We have decided to take the old name back, and this thread is the grand reopening. *confetti*

Pick 3, get 3
Signups are open! Sign up and get randomly matched with another poster and pick 3 films that person has never watched, and someone picks 3 films for you. Good opportunity to learn more about our posters and discover films you otherwise might not have! Just respond in the thread and tag Flow you want to join in.

ps We need a better name for this concept, don't be shy if you have an idea.

Where is the official ResetEra Movie of the Year voting thread?
It is right > here< Go vote now! Voting closes March 19th.

Thread rules:
1. Be nice, be civil, use common sense
2. Respect the opinions of other members, no matter how wrong they are
3. Use spoiler tags accordingly
4. Have fun, we're all here because we love movies

DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus

Want to introduce yourself?
New to the Movie's you've seen recently community? Let us know a bit about yourself:

1. What's your favorite Movie?
2. Who's your favorite director?
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
5. What's your favorite performance in film?

- Post your top 5 new viewings from the previous month!

Useful external links:
Movie Community Discord
Letterboxd
ICheckMovies
IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic

List of Movies you've seen recently members on letterboxd said:

If you want to be added to the list above, shoot me a PM and you'll be added.

Unsure of what to watch? Just ask for recommendations in here. We don't bite!

Last edited:

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 of February:
1. The Florida Project
2. Good Time
3. Police Story
4. Tangerine
5. Shin Godzilla

Best rewatch:
Die Hard With a Vengeance

OP
OP
Divius

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Divius has logged 25 entries for films during February 2018.

TOP 5 NEW VIEWINGS OF FEBRUARY
5. Far from the Madding Crowd
4. The Survivalist
3. The Naked Prey
2. Night and Fog
1. American Movie

MOST VALUABLE REWATCHES OF FEBRUARY
Call Me by Your Name
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

WORST NEW VIEWINGS OF FEBRUARY
Justice League
Mute
40 Days and 40 Nights

luca

Oct 25, 2017
New Watches:
1. Black Panther
2. The Florida Project
3. Fruitvale Station
4. The Ritual
5. The Cloverfield Paradox

Best Rewatches:
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
4. Dr. No
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Can't say I watched too much in February, but I'm filled to the brim with tv shows currently.

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
My own 5 favorite watches of February:
Fight Club
Her
Zodiac
Nightcrawler
Paterson

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 of February

1) Annihilation
2) The Blackcoat's Daughter
3) Upstream Color
4) The Double
5) The Levelling

I'm going to be mostly going to see movies on cheap Tuesday's this month because of buying and building a new PC, so I'll always be behind!

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Hey title change.

Top 5 first views:
5. The Square
4. Suspiria
3. 24 Frames
2. Bringing Up Baby
1. Something Wild

Honorable mentions: A Hard Day's Night, Abacus: Too Small to Jail, Cinema Paradiso, Annihilation, A Fantastic Woman, When Harry Met Sally..., Ingrid Goes West
Dishonorable mention: The Cloverfield Paradox
Best rewatch: Cloverfield (actually only rewatch but it is genuinely great)

---

also spent part of the morning writing up my Pick 3 for February, chosen by ZombAid

The Sword of Doom (1966) ***
Powerful when it focuses on Ryunosuke's formidable, horrifying, beautiful talents with a blade. He is a rapist, a murderer, a psychopath, an addict, an abuser. He is an unstoppable force, unassailably skilled at inflicting misery. Tatsuya Nakadai plays him as a man saddled with this burden to do evil, as if on some level he doesn't want to obliterate all in his path but has no other choice. This weight goes hand-in-hand, however, with a sense of invincibility. Acting as an agent of death is his millstone, but it guarantees him corporeal security—or so he believes, until he runs from the assassination of a virtuous samurai (Toshiro Mifune) who handily dispatches all of Ryunosuke's compatriots. If he's not unbeatable, what is he?

Kihachi Okamoto's shadowy high-contrast images and methodically choreographed spars form an acutely grim backbone, and at all moments where Ryunosuke's gory march towards utter madness–right up to the wonderfully open-ended conclusion–is the focus this is spellbinding. Unfortunately, a lot of the film shifts concentration towards boring and outdated soap operatics or inertialess incomprehensible shogunate politicking. (I've since read defenses of this inscrutability and lack of momentum as purposeful opacity that throws the futility of the sphere in which Ryunosuke metes injustice into sharper relief. I'm not buying.) Okamoto and screenwriter Shinobu Hashimoto would have done better by the material to mimic their protagonist and act more single-mindedly in purpose.​

Ingrid Goes West (2017) ***1/2
Well-trodden material regarding the poisonous nature of social media is deepened and stretched to hilarious and uncomfortable lengths here in Matt Spicer's unflinching black comedy. This some grade-AA cringe inducement, the proceedings escalating until they are rapturously hard to watch. Aubrey Plaza makes a meal of the title role, Billy Magnussen terrifies as a smooth-bodied affluent sociopathic addict, and O'Shea Jackson Jr. excavates layers of complexity (and some of the funniest line reads) from the ordinary nice guy support slot. Spicer shows a laudable level of tonal control for a feature debut, an aptitude for crossing the line enough that your head spins but not so much that you reject the whiplash—especially at the deliciously sour (and, in retrospect, inevitable) ending.​

Cinema Paradiso (1988) ***1/2
I was somewhat up in the air on this one until the final section, and the very ending in particular. Alfredo's montage of censored romance is a stunning grace note, retroactively imbuing Toto's memories of childhood and first love–which could be taken as slight and digressive–with sublime beauty. They are more valuable for their vaporousness. Like the scraps of film Alfredo willed to Salvatore, they are quicksilver moments of intense love and idyllic joy, times and places turned to rubble but preserved through recollection and celluloid. In Toto's remembrances we see how, for a time, the cinema was a cultural hub and a living document of the metamorphosing mores of a society. Whether or not this excuses the plot peculiarity of Salvatore, who ultimately had a fairly functional home life, never going home for 30 years (Thirty years! He never went back for a weekend trip to say hello! Never!) I'm uncertain, but even if it doesn't that wouldn't put the tears back in my ducts.
All told a real solid slate of 3 films, love that they were spread out over decade, genre and country. thumbs up.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
You made the right choice <3

1. Black Panther

2. Blue is the Warmest Color

3. Carol

4. The lure

5. Desert hearts

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is there zero reviews online for Death Wish? Like if I go to the 7pm showing at the theater around the corner I'll seriously be one of the first people in the world to see it

But it's gotta be a real stinker if they didn't send out any screeners, right

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
aOVErP2_700b.jpg

Hm Mr. Fox is my favorite(watched 3 times) but I still haven't seen the 3 after Rushmore. Man puts out good work

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Top 5 of February
1. The Decline of Western Civilization
2. Good Time
3. Annihilation
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane
5. Boogie Nights

Think I'm gonna try to focus on Filmstruck this month, I have a huge watchlist over there.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 New Watches for February:
1. The Florida Project
2. Lady Bird
3. Black Panther
4. Spielberg
5. The Ritual

Best rewatch:
Spider-Man Homecoming

Surprisingly didn't watch a lot of older movies like I usually do, all last year/this year.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movies I saw in February, from Best to Least Best:
Black Panther
Captain America: Civil War
The Post
Star Trek Beyond
The Cloverfield Paradox
Bright
Jumanji
The Emoji Movie
The Ritual

All of which were new watches except for Cap and Beyond.

Anybody else marathoning Wes Anderson?
Sounds like my personal hell :p

Last edited:
How is there zero reviews online for Death Wish? Like if I go to the 7pm showing at the theater around the corner I'll seriously be one of the first people in the world to see it

It's a remake of a deeply problematic film in an age that's actively pushing back against vigilante worship, starring an actor that hasn't given a shit in the past 10 or so years and directed by a moron. I don't know what more needs to be said.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1 - Wonder (surprisingly good)
2 - Only the Brave (great)
3 - Dunkirk (surprisingly average)
4 - Roman J Israel ESQ (shitfest)
5 - Wind River (really good. It's on Netflix US now)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
February Top Five
1.- Fargo
2.- Coco
3.- Fantastic Mr. Fox
4.- The Witch
5.- The Florida Project

February's Top Rewatch:
The Revenant

Really looking forward to Isle of Dogs

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Flow this is my registration for the next Pick 3 along with a question/suggestion: when we had an even count we got paired off, and last time when we had an odd count everybody just picked for one person and got picked for by another. what if in the event of an odd count it was pairs and then one group of 3? If it's hard to do or people don't care either way that's cool, I just kinda like the idea of most people being in 1-1 trades

It wouldn't be screeners it'd be press screenings. Which did happen yesterday but embargo must stay up until after release which, yeah—not a good sign

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Flow this is my registration for the next Pick 3 along with a question/suggestion: when we had an even count we got paired off, and last time when we had an odd count everybody just picked for one person and got picked for by another. what if in the event of an odd count it was pairs and then one group of 3? If it's hard to do or people don't care either way that's cool, I just kinda like the idea of most people being in 1-1 trades

It wouldn't be screeners it'd be press screenings. Which did happen yesterday but embargo must stay up until after release which, yeah—not a good sign
I like this. let's go with your suggestion and see what happens.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 New Watches for February:

1) Bomb City
2) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3) Good Time
4) The Shape of Water
5) Black Panther

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
February rankings:

1. The Post
2. Happy Death Day
3. American Made

I really didn't watch many movies last month. Lady Bird would've topped the list, but I saw it in late January.

Happy Death Day really surprised me. It was a lot of fun, and actually good. I couldn't tell if it'd be decent or really bad from the trailer and didn't go see it when it came out because I couldn't get a feel for whether I'd enjoy it or not. Normally I'm not into horror comedy. The lead actress was really good in it, though the twist was easy to figure out early on.

American Made was also better than expected.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
These title changes are giving me whiplash.

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words

The first half of this doc was some standard autobiographical stuff - granted, told really interestingly, thanks to Bergman's wealth of personal photos, home movies, and diary entries (narrated by Alicia Vikander, who has a really lovely Swedish voice) that comprise the bulk of the movie. But, standard. The second half is significantly more interesting, as it largely switches to the perspectives of her adult children, and their conflicting feelings about their mother: how they enjoyed her company, how fun and charismatic she was, and how they loved being her in presence, but how they reconciled that with effectively being abandoned at certain points in their life, as Bergman moved from country to country, and husband to husband, without really taking her children with her. I'm probably dramatizing it more than the actual kids do -- they seem pretty happy about their upbringing and don't feel any scorn toward their mother; just the opposite, they loved her so much, they just wish she was around more. And maybe this second half isn't exactly an unusual perspective for a biographical doc anyway, but it certainly struck me as a lot more interesting than the more Ingrid-centric stuff in the first half.
7/10

Straw Dogs

I was not feeling this for like the first hour and 20. It struck me as ugly and mean-spirited, and not in an aesthetically grimy way like, say, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, but a all-too-revealing way of what Peckinpah really thinks about men and women (which is, suffice to say, problematic!). But the last half hour is fantastic. The action itself is really well done - probably Peckinpah's single best setpiece - but just the way the script steers all of these characters to collide at the house, and the morally ambiguous lines that are drawn to define the conflict, is super interesting.
7/10

Top 5 of February

1. Black Panther
2. Seven Days in May
3. Annihilation
4. The Hill
5. Straw Dogs

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Hey title change.

Top 5 first views:
5. The Square
4. Suspiria
3. 24 Frames
2. Bringing Up Baby
1. Something Wild

Honorable mentions: A Hard Day's Night, Abacus: Too Small to Jail, Cinema Paradiso, Annihilation, A Fantastic Woman, When Harry Met Sally..., Ingrid Goes West
Dishonorable mention: The Cloverfield Paradox
Best rewatch: Cloverfield (actually only rewatch but it is genuinely great)

---

also spent part of the morning writing up my Pick 3 for February, chosen by ZombAid

The Sword of Doom (1966) ***
Powerful when it focuses on Ryunosuke's formidable, horrifying, beautiful talents with a blade. He is a rapist, a murderer, a psychopath, an addict, an abuser. He is an unstoppable force, unassailably skilled at inflicting misery. Tatsuya Nakadai plays him as a man saddled with this burden to do evil, as if on some level he doesn't want to obliterate all in his path but has no other choice. This weight goes hand-in-hand, however, with a sense of invincibility. Acting as an agent of death is his millstone, but it guarantees him corporeal security—or so he believes, until he runs from the assassination of a virtuous samurai (Toshiro Mifune) who handily dispatches all of Ryunosuke's compatriots. If he's not unbeatable, what is he?

Kihachi Okamoto's shadowy high-contrast images and methodically choreographed spars form an acutely grim backbone, and at all moments where Ryunosuke's gory march towards utter madness–right up to the wonderfully open-ended conclusion–is the focus this is spellbinding. Unfortunately, a lot of the film shifts concentration towards boring and outdated soap operatics or inertialess incomprehensible shogunate politicking. (I've since read defenses of this inscrutability and lack of momentum as purposeful opacity that throws the futility of the sphere in which Ryunosuke metes injustice into sharper relief. I'm not buying.) Okamoto and screenwriter Shinobu Hashimoto would have done better by the material to mimic their protagonist and act more single-mindedly in purpose.​

Ingrid Goes West (2017) ***1/2
Well-trodden material regarding the poisonous nature of social media is deepened and stretched to hilarious and uncomfortable lengths here in Matt Spicer's unflinching black comedy. This some grade-AA cringe inducement, the proceedings escalating until they are rapturously hard to watch. Aubrey Plaza makes a meal of the title role, Billy Magnussen terrifies as a smooth-bodied affluent sociopathic addict, and O'Shea Jackson Jr. excavates layers of complexity (and some of the funniest line reads) from the ordinary nice guy support slot. Spicer shows a laudable level of tonal control for a feature debut, an aptitude for crossing the line enough that your head spins but not so much that you reject the whiplash—especially at the deliciously sour (and, in retrospect, inevitable) ending.​

Cinema Paradiso (1988) ***1/2
I was somewhat up in the air on this one until the final section, and the very ending in particular. Alfredo's montage of censored romance is a stunning grace note, retroactively imbuing Toto's memories of childhood and first love–which could be taken as slight and digressive–with sublime beauty. They are more valuable for their vaporousness. Like the scraps of film Alfredo willed to Salvatore, they are quicksilver moments of intense love and idyllic joy, times and places turned to rubble but preserved through recollection and celluloid. In Toto's remembrances we see how, for a time, the cinema was a cultural hub and a living document of the metamorphosing mores of a society. Whether or not this excuses the plot peculiarity of Salvatore, who ultimately had a fairly functional home life, never going home for 30 years (Thirty years! He never went back for a weekend trip to say hello! Never!) I'm uncertain, but even if it doesn't that wouldn't put the tears back in my ducts.
All told a real solid slate of 3 films, love that they were spread out over decade, genre and country. thumbs up.
Glad you somewhat liked my choices.
Also, yeah found it really weird, how the exchanges for pick 3 were handled...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 New Watches of February
1. The Florida Project
2. Battle Royale
3. Annihilation
4. Cartel Land
5. Under The Skin

Top 5 Rewatches of February
1. The Terminator
2. The Prestige
3. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
4. Inside
5. Kill List

Hasn't Fincher expressed interest in doing TV full time, too? Can't imagine that makes his waning desire in making films any more difficult for him.

Anyway!

February's Top Five New Watches (no particular order)
-The Lost City of Z
-The Lure
-Endless Poetry
-Call Me by Your Name
-Phantom Thread

Most Valuable Rewatch: Good Time

The "Fuck This Thing in Particular" Award: Dead Shack

With any luck, I shall get in the last of my Oscar best pic watches/rewatches in before the shindig on Sunday, and from there... I dunno. The Pick 3 thing does interest me, so I'll stew that over for a bit.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
WWZ 2 is delayed so Brad Pitt can do the Tarantino movie first. Grrr. I need my Fincher fix.

It seemed like that wasn't going to get off the ground any time soon going by Finchers comments about still figuring out what to do with the story. Hopefully we get new Fincher movie in the next couple years tho

Also Flow put me in for pick 3 too breh

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has become intensely cynical towards the Marvel studio machine, I was utterly shocked to find that THOR RAGNAROK brilliantly breaks the mould and does something very fresh with the formula.

It's like Taika Watiti was taking the piss out of the whole thing and just fucking around in certain moments for the sake of it. It really is one of the very few MCU films to feel like it wholly belongs to the director. So much better than Guardians 2, which was forced, like it was being written for the punchlines.

Also, LADY BIRD is hands down one of the best films of 2017.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Top 5 new watches of Feb
1. The Florida Project
2. The Square
3. That Obscure Object of Desire
4. Phantom Thread
5. Darkest Hour
+
6. Lady Bird

Flow in for pick 3

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good Films I Watched in February
1. Yi Yi (7.5/10)
2. Wings (7.0/10)
3. The Florida Project (7.0/10)
4. Logan Lucky (7.0/10)

Was quite surprised by Logan Lucky. I'll put up brief reviews of To Be or Not to Be and Wings when I get non-lazy.

Cripplegate

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Best movie of February: Chor Yuen's The Magic Blade
Best Pick 3 of February: Lana and Lilly Wachowski's Bound
Worst movie of February: Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Before We Vanish (and I didn't really hate it or anything, but it was a slow month and this just happened to be at the bottom)

March will probably be a slow month for me, too. Work is keeping me quite busy. I haven't even seen Black Panther yet.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Veronica - I casually went through my RSS feed and saw a local newspaper tabloid mention this film and how audiences had called it "the best horror movie ever" (really, this line is thrown around with every horror release) and that people had to stop midway through, and yada yada you get the drill. I got curious though, and searched on the title, and I saw it is directed by Paco Plaza who also did the [Rec] series, of which the first one is a really good entry in the genre. I learned Veronica was released on Netflix on February 26, so just a few days ago, and I put it on and just finished it. It was a decent flick that I'm glad I went through. Although it really didn't do anything new, it did serve an exorcist kind of plot we've seen many times prior, and it uses cliche horror jumps and bumps known in the book. Yet the actress and the kids does well with their script, and there's some very nice but minimal use of special effects. It isn't as good as Rec, and doesn't come close to the best of the genre - it didn't scare me or make me feel tense either - but it was rock solid in what it set out to do. ★★★☆☆

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't Fincher expressed interest in doing TV full time, too? Can't imagine that makes his waning desire in making films any more difficult for him.
I think he had like 3 different shows in the works at HBO and they all had the plug pulled.

At least Mindhunter will be back next year