• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
The Irishman

Wow. Never thought I'd see such a gangster epos again but Scorcese did it again. I was sceptical at first because the last move with de Niro and Pacino "Righteous Kill" was rather mediocre. But not only do we have those two guys here there is also the absolute legend Joe Pesci. God it felt so good seeing him again, he is so fucking good. I'm glad he didn't waste his talent with shitty movies but only chose to come back for this.

And he is such a gem, all of them. Absolute stellar performance and a great movie that even with its 3.5h never felt long or boring. No overacting on Pacinos part which he was weirdly prone to in some of his movies, Pesci playing the ice cold gangster rather than the hot head and de Niro also just great. Storytelling, camera, soundtrack: 5 stars.

The only thing that wasn't convincing was the aging thing where they made them younger. De Niro looked liked he was on botox and Pesci didn't look young at all. But weirdly enough that didn't bother me that much.

There were also so many actors in minor roles from other great gangster movies and TV shows. Even Steven van Zandt (Silvio from the Sopranos)!

The Irishman felt like a homage and a farewell to those kind of gangster movies that we've been getting the past 30 years or so. All these actors and directors are way too old. And living in the Disney/Marvel era I somehow doubt we'll get this kind of a gangster epic again. I will cherish this movie.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hellboy (2019)
As a longtime fan of everything B.P.R.D. it was a treat how many characters and story elements from all of the comics they included. Great visuals, serviceable acting. Harbour(sp?) was almost as good as Perlman in the role - in his fashion, anyway.

The crippling problem of the film was being gothic in content but "Marvel movie" in tone. It also felt rushed, pinging about from one scene to the next without things ever feeling like they developed naturally - or at times - really at all.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
wow, I did not expect this movie to piss me off. I'll put some in quotes to not screw up the page.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

In some ways it has much in common with The Forest for the Trees or Frownland, discomfiting depictions of social anxiety so extreme it is prevents the subjects from living anything like a normal life. The key difference? Those two films recognize their subjects aren't better by the end.

This one seems to assert she is better, even though she does zero actual work to confront her mental illness. As the title tells ya, she disappears! (Note: this disappearance happens 65 minutes into the movie, and it's really only a hunt for her starting at about 75 minutes in.) Before dropping out Bernadette is selfish and mean and stupid and uncouth (sure her Indian personal assistant actually turns out to be a Russian scammer but does that make it okay that she kept asking them to work their Hindi magic?), though a lot of this seem to be treated as charming quirks by the film. Cate Blanchett is charming, she is not that charming.

I wanted to forgive it as the film built up to confronting how difficult and harmful Bernadette is to others, and how that stems from her inability to work on herself. She won't try therapy, she won't give meds a genuine try, she won't try exercise, she won't try simple social immersion. She does not try. So I guess it's supposed to be a triumph when, at the end, after running off to Antarctica and leaving her family worried sick, she starts trying at architecture again by needling her way into a contract to design a North Pole base. But is it a triumph?? At the end I see no reason why she is not equally as at risk of having one thing go wrong and pushing her away from the field for 20 years again. The underlying problems are still there.

Her family is happy for her yet I call bullshit. The daughter constantly berates her dad for not truly acting in Bernadette's best interest, and there's some merit there. Husband/father Elgin is a bit of a workaholic clearly, and he acknowledges that. But the daughter's view is never complicated, she never picks up that Bernadette makes things just as hard for Elgin, and the film agrees with that viewpoint. There's a climactic scene of dialogue where the daughter gets fiery and tears into her dad, says that she and her mom bonded and had fun while her dad was always away working so he doesn't know what either of them are like, boo hoo hoo.

Not only does this not seem to be all that true, as from what we see he is home for dinner every night and spends a lot of quality time with his family. (I guess the time away is that he sometimes has to do call with Asian offices at night on top of having to work normal business hours?) No, he takes this in and agrees with it, as opposed to the normal reaction of a human which would be ex-fucking-scuse me? Bernadette has spent 20 years so crippled by anxiety and social aversion that she apparently can't even work a part-time remote job, instead lolling in perpetual costly renovation on a house on which she's made almost no progress, all while spending exorbitantly on designer clothes and unlimited Amazon purchases.

Speaking of which, a small thing that bugged me a LOT and the more I contemplate on it epitomizes the film's issues as a whole: a defining facet of this character is that she's supposed to be a trailblazer in green environmentally conscious building. In the first part of the movie she orders like, 400 different packages on Amazon. There are shots where stacks of empty boxes are conspicuous, with Bezos' personal black tape with blue highlights very visible! At first I thought, okay, this is a symptom of her ongoing breakdown and will be addressed in the film. This is a blatant contradiction that we are supposed to notice. No reason to put this so front and center unless you plan to make something about it. Guess what, it goes unaddressed! No part of Bernadette's self-realization involves realizing she's lost her dedication to living environmentally and choosing to correct that.

This gets right at the phoniness of her journey. She never realizes how her feelings of not being able to function in the fabric of society are not caused by everyone else. She never realizes how she masks her callousness and ignorance and stubbornness with her "genius." Instead she forces her way to the South Pole to take on a new project, running away from all her problems and letting her family change their lives to fit her once again and persisting in her refusal to abide by any of the ways of interacting society considers acceptable. Real self-actualization would have been Bernadette turning her kayak around and going to find her family herself, then deciding to get therapy before putting in a proper application to design the new North Pole base. What we see isn't a victory, it's a kicking of the can.

I started off writing this less negative, figuring I couldn't muster much animosity to this wisp of a film. After all, my problems rest almost on the narrative level. Blanchett and Crudup are good. Emma Nelson as the daughter is...well she's not terrible. (Trivia: she's from my suburban hometown.) Kristen Wiig does an adept job with a shrewy role. Laurence Fishburne shows up, even looking de-aged at one point, and hey James Urbaniak! As a goofy, capable, and straight-faced FBI agent no less! The direction and editing are fully functional and anonymous, like Linklater and Sandra Adair were working to make a deadline (which doesn't make sense because this was filmed in mid-2017 and not released for two years) and could merely make sure the actors' faces where lit and in frame and the flow was passable.

But as the preceding paragraphs profess, there are a lot of problems with the script. One of which I've neglected to mention is that this is not funny once! Of those problems that I have hit already: hard to say where they stem. Could Linklater have gone this wrong on the page? Possible. I doubt it as the only time he's gone so wrong previously is Me and Orson Welles which was written by Holly Gent Palmo and Vince Palmo who happened to co-adapt this screenplay. Maybe blame lies at their feet, and the source novel had a handle on the issues with Bernadette's character they failed to translate. Or perhaps the novel sucks and these flaws are endemic to the material. Whoever did this, forged ahead with this film inadvisably and in defiance of so many blatant contradictions and frustrations and dead ends to this annoying character's hollow metanoia, conspired to make the flat-out worst film in Richard Linklater's career—a triumph tantamount to Bernadette Fox's.

1.5/5

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Fellini's centennial is in a couple weeks and while I could rewatch 8 1/2 again, I might watch something of his I haven't seen yet.

Which would you guys recommend between Il Bidone and Juliet of the Spirits? I'm leaning toward the former but mostly because I'm suspicious about Fellini's color films.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
New to this community. Trying to expand my pretty limited view of films. In the past I'd stick to sports movies, blockbusters and animated movies. The only time I venture into non blockbuster would be 'true stories'

I recently got a a membership to my local non profit art house cinema (grandcinema.com), to continue to expand my thoughts on different kinds of movies

I am also getting recommendations from Letterboxd, so I hope people don't mind me adding them from the master list:

New to the Movies You've Seen Recently community? Let us know a bit about yourself:
1. What's your favorite Movie? - Recently it's Ladybird.
2. Who's your favorite director? - Toss up between Nolan and Fincher
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses? - Really liking Adam Driver
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
5. What's your favorite performance in film? -I liked Russell Crowe in the Insider

The Last Black man in San Francisco - really enjoyed this movie, some people might think this movie moves to slow, but I really loved how the movie came together. This really hit home for me, the friendship between the main character and mont, the connection to that beautiful house and the love for that city. This movie had it all and amazing cinematography. 4.5/5

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna try and write a little bit for every movie I see this year. Sometimes I don't feel too inspired to write stuff, but I truly do want to get better. Can't get better if I don't practice.

Hard Eight - It comes as no surprise that Paul Thomas Anderson's first feature is as solid as it is. In some ways, Hard Eight feels like a test run of concepts he would explore in his other early work. Things like a makeshift family and the happenstance connections we have with others aren't as strong here as they are in Boogie Nights or Magnolia, but they are certainly there in the undercurrent. The father-son family dynamic between Philip Baker Hall and John C. Reilly was exciting to watch unfold; the final phone call between the two was kind of a shock. I wasn't expecting something so sweet from these characters, but the writing -- plus the actors -- really sell it. I wasn't sure the film was going to commit to Hall's character the way it did. Gwyneth Paltrow's character feels like an easy cliche at times, at least on paper. But, her performance and chemistry with both Hall and Reilly differentiates itself from other, similar characters. It's not the most original character, but Paltrow rises above the writing and makes the role her own.

PTA creates a solid foundation for these characters in the first hour before pulling it out from under them in the second. The transition between these two parts is jarring and unexpected. It works in the film's favor for the most part, but it's gets a little bit too rushed and messy for it to completely land. Even with some minor quibbles in the storytelling, Hard Eight is confident enough to pull through and create a solid, thrilling story with some great, memorable characters. This was the last PTA movie I hadn't watched yet. It's amazing to see his filmography transform and mature into such a deep, wonderful tapestry of work. Always looking forward to what's next from him.

brassica

Oct 26, 2017
France
Watched Jumanji : The Next Level last night and liked it a lot.
Tonight I will finally watch the last Star Wars movie, tomorrow night will be Motherless Brooklyn, and this weekend will be all animation : The Addams Family, Weathering With You, and Spies in Disguise.
I love binging movies!

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

First cinema visit of 2020, and I might have already seen a top 10 movie for the year. It's an amazingly paced, tense and exciting war drama that is way more interested in the humanity of it all than the action spectacle. It's not only the 'single take'-cinematography (more on that later) that trough presenting everything in real time can let the quieter moments take all the time they need in between the moments of tension and action. It's also casting relative unknown (and boyish) actors in the main roles, while casting the real stars in almost small cameo's giving them the air of autorithy their characters posses for the protagonists. The story in itself is simple, but the almost anecdotal nature of it just highlights the senselessness of this endless war, while it also gives the character's the chance to move up front.

And than there is the cinematography of course. Deakins is at the top of his game here, especially in the night time sequence. The staging and blocking of the long shots is brilliant too and the sheer scale of it all is impressive. Meanwhile it gives the whole movie both an intimate feeling as a real-time race against the clock-tension. It's actually two long takes, as the movie does make a hard cut with time jump somewhere half-way trough. It's a very deliberate moment, and it works all the better because up untill then everything was continuous. That said, the technique has it's downsides. Sometimes you crave for an insert or a reaction shot that of course never comes. The 'invisible' cuts between individual takes aren't as invisible as you wish either. When you have an eye for these kind of things they become very noticable (not as much as Hitchcock zooming in on the backs of characters in Rope, but still, there are quite some moments where the screen goes black for a second while characters go indoors for instance). At times this broke the magic for me, though most viewers might not notice. Pure from a technical standpoint a movie like Victoria, which is a genuine one take taking you trough Berlin, made a bigger impression on me. That's not to dunk on the achievement here, because with all the effects going on, the massive sets and big amounts of extra's even teh 8 to 10 minute takes are sheer lunacy.

So yeah, Mendes has another hit under his belt, and proves again to be one of the best director's of this age.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Letterboxd has released their Year and Decade in Review: https://letterboxd.com/2019/#title-page

The Last Black Man in San Francisco: Nice cinematography and music, and a bit of a look into black culture, black culture, toxic masculinity, and relationships with family. It reminds me of how special San Francisco is. It's not the greatest movie, but it's certainly an experience.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Pokemon Detective Pikachu
I never got into Pokemon. It became popular when I was already a junior or senior. So, going into the movie I could have only named maybe five or six of them.

Really imaginative. The world, especially the giant futuristic metropolis, was very well realized. Parts of the film were really funny. This was better than I was expecting. I may or may not have gotten misty eyed during the final scene.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Apollo 11:

The colors and visual aspects of the footage was put together so well, I really enjoyed how they intermixed shots of the crew, the crowd, the workers at command center and mixing in timely interviews and radio chatter.

What an astonishing movie.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Believe in the praise. See this in Dolby Cinema if possible as well. It doesn't take very long when you get an idea of just how bleak the entire situation the two leads are facing as they make start their travel together. Wonder Woman is the only movie I can think that I''ve seen "No Man's Land" and it ain't pretty. The area is not only stripped of life from the earth, but there are dead bodies and rats everywhere. I can't think of the right word to describe it (not grusome to an extent), but in a way it stays with you. Didn't have a problem with the "one-shot" approach, though at times it feels like you can tell where there might be a cut (like a regular jump will look jittery or unnatural).

If I have one gripe: I really didn't want the younger brother to die. As soon as they helped out the German fighter pilot, I knew he was done for. It would have been nice to see him last a bit longer. Especially after saving Will's life

Will obviously see this again, no doubt about it. Hopefully with no ringtones going off (inconsiderate assholes).

Academy, go right ahead and give this Best Picture. I don't think this movie is better than Parasite or Marriage Story, but you won't see me complaining.

May 24, 2019
I'm just out of 1917 too. I liked it, but would have preferred the perils to be a bit more random and gritty and less like theme park ride set pieces.
And while the 'one shot' thing is impressive it almost makes the movie too smooth, steady and floaty. I think a more broken up series of lengthy handheld following shots would have been more immersive for me.
Also a couple too many cliched humanity on the battlefield moments for my liking.

Last edited:

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Recently saw Room and that was one emotional experience for sure. Brie is brilliant in the role but also very impressed with Jacob as the boy. Just all the subtle moments captured that really sell pre and post escape. The escape itself was intense. At first, I was slightly annoyed at the cop which did feel a bit too much questions for a boy but then slowly understood what she was getting at and the quick thinking that led to saving Joy which then had me annoyed at the other cop in reverse for interrupting when she was clearly on to something. I pretty much cried at the reunion. After the film finished, I kind of rewatched that specific moment and every single time, might be the fourth time just that specific part, I get way to emotional and cry. I really enjoyed that they explore the post escape life and how Joy and jack deal with their situation and it isn't quite as rosy and simple.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
First watches of 2020

My Name is Dolomite - A rare quality adult comedy-drama with solid cast and endearing premise that doesn't really miss a beat. If it came out 20 years ago it would have been a staple on premium cable. 7

High Flying Bird - Another winner from Soderbergh. The dialog snaps and the core message of the movie comes off as urgent instead of eyerolling. Wish I had seen when it came out. 8

The Laundromat - Why did no one care about this? The vignettes were all solid and the movie was certainly more propulsive and less insulting with it's anti-capitalist messaging then the Big Short. Not bothering with conventional emotionality or arcs will sink you these days with a certain crowd . 6

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Long stretches of this movie were outstanding, I don't begrudge the film it's award season sucess. The core performances are great and the vibes are in abundance but I found the manson stuff tonally confused and was left feeling unsure what the point of this whole experience was. I went back and watched it a second time in 2020 and didn't improve significantly in my estimation. Oh well. 6

Knives Out - Killed a packed house several weeks into its run. Everything it needed to be, having not seen Brick I would say easily RJ's best.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Aniara - hauntingly beautiful space cosmic terror surrounding existential dread. What happens when things start to go horribly wrong?

★★★★

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
News from Home - News from Home is the aesthetic and spiritual successor to Chantal Akerman's previous film Hotel Monterey. The similarities in their structure are very apparent, with unbroken, static shots of her New York City that allow us to wallow in the textures and atmosphere. It truly is her New York on display here. She avoids the well known landmarks to highlight side streets and the subways. Akerman favors showcasing the grey, broken concrete of the city rather than sunny, stylish locations. Despite the often drab locale, there is still beauty to be found within her framing of the city. There are some lovely shots of near deserted & empty diners here that are incredibly evocative of such a particular space and time. Even the mundane has a particular texture here that brings out the themes Chantal Akerman is exploring here. Though there is no traditional "narrative," there is certainly a thematic through-line woven into the film. As Akerman writes home to her mother less and less, she films busier streets and slowly reveals the grand scale of New York. What begins in empty streets culminates in the beautiful, haunting final shot of the city slowly shrinking into the horizon. This geographic journey is emblematic of the utter loneliness and alienation Chantal is clearly feeling in this film. It's amazing what she can express with very few words or aesthetic flourishes.

The Lighthouse - While not as immediately thematically satisfying as The Witch, The Lighthouse is still a bonkers, great time. I'm glad Eggers didn't try to repeat himself here. He managed to find a vein of folksy horror to tap into that is totally different from what he had done before. Robert Eggers, Willem Dafoe, and Robert Pattinson manage to toe the line between the deeply uncomfortable and the deeply funny. It's humorous without being overbearing. It's weird without being incomprehensible. It calls upon a large tapestry of American folklore to tell its own unique twist on old tall tales. The story is simple and feels like the sort of thing you might hear around a campfire around the turn of the 1900s. The Lighthouse complements the simplicity of its setup by telling it in a surreal, formal style. The final act of the film is wild and psychotic. It's the culmination of all the masculine, guilt-ridden themes it's exploring and it's a joy to watch. The vintage cinematography -- as well as the period dialogue -- really calls attention to itself, but it's so well done and fits the setting perfectly that it's hard not be won over. Even though this is only the second time I've watched it, I can tell that The Lighthouse will be one of those movies that I'll revisit over and over and over.

High Flying Bird - Another winner from Soderbergh. The dialog snaps and the core message of the movie comes off as urgent instead of eyerolling. Wish I had seen when it came out. 8

High Flying Bird seemed to go under the radar, but it really shouldn't have. Like you said, the dialog and the message of the film are vital and timely, even if you aren't interested in sports at all.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
The Beach Bum 3/5 - Not much to say about this because it's thin, merely a mood piece about putting good energy out into the universe, but what a mood piece! Infectiously optimistic and devil-may-care, made me wanna drink 40 PBRs and get mad high and swim with dolphins (actual dolphins not the "dolphins" Martin Lawrence swims with).

Westworld 3/5 - The simple premise of this movie is so dumb and full of lapses in logic which, in a weird way, made it seem more believable. Isn't it just like us to take technological advancements and put them towards hare-brained ideas while ignoring glaring design flaws in the interest of revenue? However I might've enjoyed the film more before it all went haywire. Richard Benjamin and James Brolin hanging out acting like western cads and indulging in casual sex and consequence-free violence, while underground the Delos employees handle the banal sterile work of managing the park and its androids. Both before and after the chaos, this is much better than the TV show. P.S. Hey, why do they sometimes call it "Westernworld" in the movie. That seems like a uh dumb mistake.

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 2/5 - Overrating this even at two stars but it's been a horrible, horrible week and I needed something completely mindless and inoffensive to fall asleep to and this did the job. (Watched the rest in the morning.) Even the weird lessons about bad fathers, which seem to place some of the blame at the feet of the kids, don't rise to the level of actually grating because there is no sign anyone thought about it or anything else in this movie (the entirely nonsensical evil scheme) for more than two minutes. P.S. At one point the kid sees some classic film noir on a TV, and in another part we hear about Pokémon in ancient civilizations. It left me wondering why the hell that old film noir didn't look different. Like, shouldn't the detective have had a little monster on its shoulder? Every movie would be so much different. I mean, imagine Casablanca but there are Pokémon mucking about.

Ready or Not 3/5 - [light spoilers]
Should spend a lot less time with the rich family—you need some time to establish the fineries of the film's screw the rich burn em down thesis of course but not as much as we're given. Particularly when they all suck so much, like they're all uniformly evil and pathetic and that's easy to see despite the film's attempts to complicate them. Fuck out of here with Charity's backstory of coming from a hardscrabble background dropped in one line, you're a blood-sacrifice devil-worshipper motivated by pure avarice! No sympathy. Even Alex's arc, where the filmmakers chip away at the idea of "the one good rich guy," is given more spotlight than it needs, as is all the business with the maids.

Now, watching Samara Weaving run like hell from these psychos? That's the good stuff. Especially the last 30 to 40 minutes or so, from about the kitchen confrontation on, are a blast. That nail through the hand moment, ahh! Even when the character makes truly dumb choices (like not loading the first gun even if it wouldn't've fired, or not picking up the two other guns she wrests from the hands of attackers) you are with her. Weaving is hilarious and charismatic and does a wonderful job of making it seem like it's a real average girl in this situation.

Little Women (2019): Second viewing, reaffirming what an excellent film this is. Greta Gerwig has really hit the ground running as a solo director with her first two films, and I hope she and Saorise Ronan keep working together in the future; we need more storied female actor/director partnerships. This is one of the best literary adaptations in recent memory, on the level of what Park Chan-wook did when he turned Fingersmith into The Handmaiden.

Mogambo (1953): As good a demonstration as any of the differing career trajectories of male and female stars, Clark Cable appears in a remake of his 1932 film Red Dust, while the female leads are now cast with Ava Gardner (10 at the time of the original release) and Grace Kelly (2 at the time of the original). This version is directed by John Ford, and is notable mainly because it has relocated its remote-from-civilization love triangle from an Indochinese rubber plantation to an unspecified location in central Africa -- and it was actually filmed in Kenya and a few other places, meaning lots of scenes of the cast interacting with a wide array of local animals. The story itself isn't terribly interesting, though.

Mad Max (1979): The difference between where this franchise started and where it ended up rivals the Fast and the Furious movies. The first film has some expectedly impressive automobile stuntwork despite its low budget, but it's meandering and not terribly impactful.

A River Runs Through It (1992): The early 1990s drama about brothers in early 1900s Montana featuring Brad Pitt romancing a Native American woman and with Academy Award-winning cinematography; no, the other one.

I have vague memories of having watched this at some point as a kid, possibly in school. The film is based on Norman Maclean's memori of his early adulthood, and it's pleasant to watch for the most part, but there's no real structure, and the decision to hew strictly to things Norman was actually present for means that his brother's generally more dramatic story seems to happen mostly offscreen.

1917 (2019): Sets out to be a gritty depiction of soldiers' front line experience, and succeeds; I've seen some criticism that the movie isn't really "about" anything, which is to say it's not particularly about character development or political themes, but on its own terms I think it delivers, and that's a worthy enough goal to make a strong film.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Little Women (2019): Second viewing, reaffirming what an excellent film this is. Greta Gerwig has really hit the ground running as a solo director with her first two films, and I hope she and Saorise Ronan keep working together in the future; we need more storied female actor/director partnerships. This is one of the best literary adaptations in recent memory, on the level of what Park Chan-wook did when he turned Fingersmith into The Handmaiden..
Her interview in film comment about the writing/production is a good one. It's an exemplary case of what adaptation should be.

I do hope someday people come back to her 00s/early 10s acting-"writing"-directing work. I know they're not for everyone and a lot even hate the "movement" but her mumblecore/indie stuff is great. Nights and Weekends, Hannah Takes the Stairs, the underseen The Dish & the Spoon.

I'm also realizing we haven't seen Gerwig on the screen since 2016 with Jackie and 20th Century Women. I hope she continues to dabble in acting because I adore her as a performer.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That film comment Gerwig interview is really good and I'd recommend it to anybody who thought LW was great and how much thought went into that adaptation.

Climax:
A kinder, gentler film from Gaspar No--

No, that's not right.

A less self-impressed, less aggressive film from--

No, not that.

A well-scripted, carefully acted--

Oh, god no!

Uhh... a shorter film from Gaspar Noe? With one fantastic dance sequence at the beginning?

Yeah, we'll stick with that one.

One does wish that Noe would find different ways of using his talents in ways that don't go for the kind of smug provocation he made his name on, and while it is somewhat appreciated that, by and large, his worst tendencies are curbed in terms of depiction, this still winds up as an unpleasant experience that's not always intentional. Professional dancers round out the cast beyond Sofia Boutella, though beyond the dancing itself, you will absolutely not care about any of them outside of what their scene calls for, and pairing Noe's approach to directing actors with decidedly non-professional ones yields the expected dire results, particularly in a ghastly wall-to-wall sequence of dialogue where everyone boasts about either past sexual conquests or what they're about to do others in the room once the party dies down. The chatter dies for the most part after that, beyond accusations of who could have possibly been the one who spiked the sangria with an especially bad batch of LSD, but with Noe possessing no interest in any kind of mystery as to who (the final shot does probably reveal who it was all along, for all it matters), he hopes that watching these people lose their minds as they sink further and further into acts of a depraved nature, both violent and sexual, filming them with his trademark style, which does include an impressively long take as bad becomes worse and worse becomes apocalyptic, is enough to keep one's interest. That Noe is such a skilled technician makes it all the more unfortunate that his interests seem irrevocably stuck inside the pages of an angst-ridden 12-year-old's notebook that they doodle in during detention, as one wonders what he might do with literally anything else for material.

The Power of Glove:

::looks at cover::

Me: Oh god, here comes some trendy pandering to millennial hipsters that will try to tell you that The Wizard is a secretly good movie and not a 90-minute
video game ad.

Documentary: Actually, here's a glimpse into the history of a failed product that wound up having its origins in both the hopes of creating a new kind of electronic musical instrument, as well as having a massively important role in the early days of VR development. And then, we gathered just about everyone that worked on the Power Glove project itself in and around Mattel, as we go through a painstakingly crafted history of the product from its pitch meeting, to the R&D headaches when it turned out they couldn't get it working as fast as it needed to in order to provide a properly responsive experience in the time-frame that they had to make it in and not having games built for it available at is launch, to the tense 11th hour back-and-forth with Nintendo who threatened to pull their seal of quality with tens of thousands of units waiting to ship out to stores and the mad dash to appease their demands. Throughout all this, we wind up doing a proper contextualization of the impact it had on pop culture while also exploring the strange yet exciting underground movement that it spawned, from hobbyist VR hacking to digital music creation and beyond, drawing an important correlation for where the future of current VR development needs to go in order to go to the next level of interactivity. Best of all: we got the director of The Wizard to talk about how and why it got into the film and even he thinks it was a 90-minute video game ad!

Me: Well, shit. That's a pretty damn good documentary! Could have done without all the boring Triforce stuff, as a guy famous for being a big nerd that wears the Glove as a fashion statement isn't remotely as compelling as the rest of the content, but you covered so many bases that I didn't even know existed that you did the impossible and made something rather notable from the seemingly least deserving subject matter.

1917:
An art house video game movie? Though based on no property out there, this film nevertheless bears out a lot of striking similarities to the way many of them progress these days, aided by the one-shot (well, OK, two-shot, but it still counts) approach that the cinematography employs, coming across like the most gorgeous third-person shooter in existence. This isn't an inherently bad thing, but the film does quickly run into the issue where the plotting gets obvious and even repetitive to a fault, a fact not helped out by the immersion-breaking choice to trot out as many British actors as they possibly can fit into the "checkpoint" sections that catch the breath of our heroes before embarking on the next perilous stage of their journey. It shows something of a lack of confidence in that the story of these two men, both played rather fine by George MacKay and Dean Charles-Chapman, that they need to be bolstered by star power, but I suppose such are the demands of big budget prestige pictures.

Sam Mendes does give the film a striking affectation that goes beyond the technical feat that he and cinematographer Roger Deakins attempt with the illusion of a long-take picture, in that its surprisingly less action-packed than the ads make it seem, focusing instead on the proximity of danger rather than the spectacle of armed combat. Not that there isn't a lot of tension as a result, but rather than doing it through complete chaos, the tighter focus on the dangers of traversal when hopelessly outgunned make for an engaging experience that boasts an unconventional delight while delivering on the kind of thrills that one would want from the subject matter. Mendes remains a somewhat elusive filmmaker for me in terms of what he wants out of the art he makes, which can give the films he makes a chilly edge to them that can sometimes call too much attention to his prowess as a technician, yet I do feel he does a fair job here with the kind of armor-chipping that goes on in terms of the character growth that helps to earn its dedication in the final title card and puts a solid perspective on what we just witnessed.

Did it need to be a single-shot approach? It's certainly a hell of a hook for a film to have, and despite the rough edges it can have in covering up the seams of the stitching that was necessary to string the sequences together, but it can have the unintended effect of making the savvier film-goer try to guess at where the transitions are being made. A fair bit of that phenomena can happen here, particularly in the second half of the film that amps up amount of action going on, at least relative to its first half. Yet there is a control to this that doesn't immediately call as much attention to itself that it's happening, a refreshing amount of calm and even quiet that makes one forget about the achievement and focus more on what's actually happening in front of you. It doesn't necessarily justify the tactic, but it does make the smart decision to not make it the only thing worth talking about, especially with the move away from guns going off every other scene in all directions. If not a complete success, it is something that's at least refreshing to see come out of Hollywood at this price range: a big budget war picture that does take the time to stop and smell the roses before getting back to the business at hand. A fine film when all is said and done, and though I can wish that it was even better, it's an admirable effort that does leave a positive impression and certainly does make a good argument for how important a big screen can be in telling a story.

Aniara:
Part 1 of a day I'd like to call Ridley's Depressing Space Adventures.

What to do when you have an idea for an ambitious science-fiction film, and very limited resources with which to be able to pull it off? Certainly, the Swedish film industry has little access to the kind of money that Hollywood can throw at a problem like that, but the line between good and great filmmaking is often defined by what one is able to pull off when such luxuries aren't available. It sometimes is as simple as having a great idea, a passion for bringing it to life and, occasionally, a very willing shopping center that's down for what you're setting out to do here. Low-budget thriftiness thrives on being able to visually explain why something looks like a mall in space while not drowning the rest of the narrative with unnecessary exposition, which is a credit to this film that it's able to handle that aspect quite cleverly throughout its duration. And, well, what better facility with which to relate this tale of existential apocalypse, as the clinical visual makeup winds up as a valuable asset as the years go on for our unfortunate space travelers who find themselves wildly off course following an debris catastrophe and virtually no hope of ever going home. Suddenly, the simple comforts turn into a prison of banality, or a sarcophagus, as one astute supporting character and, eventually, title card puts it, even when the deterioration begins to set in and the fading hope begins to physically manifest itself. Light viewing, this most certainly is not, as it's not only committed to the impending oblivion of the situation but makes one hell of a final statement on the matter in its closing images, yet throughout, there is the sense that even with all the evaporating hope for the crew and cargo of the Aniara itself that there is a genuine beauty to the whole process, finding a kind of peace and tranquility once the constraints of conventional society finally crumble away and all that's left is the close company of those that remain. One could imagine where they might have been able to do more elaborate visuals for the CG that is used, or being able to better convey some moments that clearly could not happen on camera as a result of the low budget, but when your ideas are this big and this rich, and when you're able to convey them with a sense of humanity that even at its most desperate moment can't quite eliminate entirely, you realize that you wound up with quite the remarkable tale, told rather well and landing with a tremendous impact.

High Life:
Part 2 of a day I'd like to call Ridley's Depressing Space Adventures.

The premise behind this film is certainly an intriguing one, as one wonders just how a single father copes with raising his infant child in the deep recesses of space while having to keep everything shipshape aboard the vessel that they're traveling on. There's a potential for an intriguing mystery as to why they're on there in the first place, all the while wondering just how things will shake out for them in the end. We don't get quite that here, as the initial scenes involving Monte caring for Willow while in the midst of his daily routine soon give way to the bulk of the film being in a kind of flashback to the events that got at least him there in the first place. A wild idea is sprung forth, that being death row inmates being used for deep space experiments, getting even more strange with the focus of the experiments here revolving around fetal development in the far reaches of the galaxy. It's a lot of material for one film, to say the least, yet for as daringly horny the film gets in those bits, I found myself often longing to return to the more straightforward drama between father and daughter, as the interplay between the other inmates grates often with the flimsy dialogue and the lack of depth that they're afforded. For a stacked cast as this film boasts, they deserved more than what they get here, even if they serve as a distraction more often than not. This isn't to say that there aren't some striking moments contained in that part of the plot, and they are certainly soaked in a great many bodily fluids at that, but the lack of tension as a result of how the film starts out makes the ultimate fate for each of those players rather uninteresting in the long run. When it does stick to the father/daughter dynamic, one does admire the tricky elements that could have stumped a worse actor than Robert Pattinson, who does rather well with the material throughout as Monte, juggling parental responsibilities while having to hold it all together with the knowledge that the mission at hand wasn't exactly designed as a return trip. Throughout, one admires the production design and certainly the boldness with which it depicts many events, as its hard to believe that this played in any theaters with just how crazy things can get, but I couldn't help but feel that there was a tighter and more resonant film in there, rather than the half-a-one that we wound up getting.

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
Uncut Gems

rfkXYiS.jpg

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
System Crasher (original: Systemsprenger) directed by Nora Fingscheidt

The movie is centered around a young girl called Benni. She is what we call a Systemsprenger (System Crasher) in Germany: A young person with conduct disorders that seemingly can't be helped by the german Child Protective Services and constantly is moved around from foster families, group homes, hospitals, and other treatments. As we fellow Benni the audience is introduced to a variety of persons that are tasked to take care of her and their feelings and emotions during the whole process. While you can get angry at some of them, the movie doesn't create a villain at whom one can direct one's anger, instead, you are left with the same anger, frustration, and helplessness as all of them at the end. More so because the movie isn't two hours of negativity and bad feelings. There is a lot of warmth and joyfulness there which makes the whole thing even more frustrating.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Knives Out - I really enjoyed this one. It's best if you go in blind, a nice and witty whodunit. I saw some of the plot twists coming, but otherwise, I had a great time.

Jumanji: The Next Level - a competent enough sequel. If you enjoyed the previous movie, you'll almost certainly enjoy this one as well, even though it is a little weaker.

Underwater - ok, this one was really bad. Utterly derivative, badly shot, and dumb as hell. The only nice thing I can say about it is that Kirsten Stewart really tries, I guess? Best avoided.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Hook (1991) - Just watched this in 4K, first time I've seen it in 20+ years. Honestly not as bad as I expected given its infamy. Way too long and messy, but the visuals have aged shockingly well and I was consistently amused.

System Crasher (original: Systemsprenger) directed by Nora Fingscheidt

The movie is centered around a young girl called Benni. She is what we call a Systemsprenger (System Crasher) in Germany: A young person with conduct disorders that seemingly can't be helped by the german Child Protective Services and constantly is moved around from foster families, group homes, hospitals, and other treatments. As we fellow Benni the audience is introduced to a variety of persons that are tasked to take care of her and their feelings and emotions during the whole process. While you can get angry at some of them, the movie doesn't create a villain at whom one can direct one's anger, instead, you are left with the same anger, frustration, and helplessness as all of them at the end. More so because the movie isn't two hours of negativity and bad feelings. There is a lot of warmth and joyfulness there which makes the whole thing even more frustrating.

The young girl in this was so amazing.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Knives Out (2019): Finally took the time to go watch this movie I've had overall great feedback about from people around me. It indeed lived up to the expectations I had, and was a great entertaining unfiltered fun whodunit, in all the classical ways, but also with a very modern edge to it. The cast was truly amazing, and is probably the real heart of this movie. Some twists were predictable, but some others surprised me in a good way, I really had a good time, and enjoyed the directing and aesthetics shown there. Honestly excited for the sequel already!
8/10

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've fallen down the Hulu output deal rabbit hole, any recommendations from NEON (watched Apollo) IFC Films (watching Nightingale), Annapurna (watched booksmart, Sorry to Bother, Beale Street), magnolia (Aniara)?

May 24, 2019
I've fallen down the Hulu output deal rabbit hole, any recommendations from NEON (watched Apollo) IFC Films (watching Nightingale), Annapurna (watched booksmart, Sorry to Bother, Beale Street), magnolia (Aniara)?

Going from Wikipedia in chronological filmography order (no idea what's actually on Hulu), stuff I've seen and liked from...

Neon:
Colossal
I, Tonya
Three Identical Strangers
The Beach Bum
Monos
Parasite
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

IFC:
Y Tu Mamá También
The Saddest Music in the World
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Drawing Restraint 9
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Out of the Blue
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Flight of the Red Balloon
Mister Lonely
My Winnipeg
Hunger
Che
Gomorrah
Pontypool
Antichrist
Fish Tank
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
The Trip
Tabloid
Weekend
Kill List
The Snowtown Murders
Kid with a Bike
First Position
Antiviral
Frances Ha
Sightseers
Berberian Sound Studio
Byzantium
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Blue Is the Warmest Colour
Like Father, Like Son
Venus in Fur
Boyhood
The Trip to Italy
The Babadook
(from the director of Nightingale)
The Duke of Burgundy
Clouds of Sils Maria
Manglehorn
Baskin
Wiener-Dog
Personal Shopper
I, Daniel Blake
Wildlife
Greener Grass

Annapurna
The Master
Spring Breakers
Her
Foxcatcher
20th Century Women
Detroit
Phantom Thread
The Sisters Brothers
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
(Guessing this is just Netflix)
Destroyer

Magnolia
End Of The Century: The Story Of The Ramones
Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior
Bubble
Jesus Camp
Cocaine Cowboys
Tears of the Black Tiger
The Host
Man On Wire
Let the Right One In
Timecrimes
Two Lovers
Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!
World's Greatest Dad
The House of the Devil
Red Cliff
Mother
I Am Love
I'm Still Here
I Saw the Devil
Rubber
13 Assassins
Melancholia
Outrage
The Hunt
Prince Avalanche
Drinking Buddies
Nymphomaniac
Alan Partidge: Alpha Papa
We Are the Best!
Life Itself
Results
Tangerine
High-Rise
Tickled
The Handmaiden
The Square
Blade of the Immortal
Support the Girls
Shoplifters

I'll asterisk ones I really, really like later.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Gorillaz: Reject False Icons
Pretty fun doc. At only 90 mins long, the glimpses into the Humanz and Now Now recording sessions are irritatingly short, and the concert footage from both tours is just as fleeting. But what's here is a blast to watch. There's a ton of snippets of songs that didn't make the cut for either album, as well as alternate arrangements and early demos of songs that did and it's cool to just sit in on the chaotic process behind it all. More than just getting some behind the scenes looks, though, you also get a real sense of the band's vibe and how all these disparate artists gel together as one big community of different voices, styles, and instruments that come together cohesively. As is the Gorillaz way. I lol'd at Damon sneezing during Hong Kong.
7/10

Cold Case Hammarskjold

I strongly disliked this. It might be my most disliked film of last year. A potentially interesting and seismically important story ruined by a total goon of a director who both realizes and yet doesn't realize how ridiculous he looks and sounds. The interludes where he dictates his own script to two African women who have been hired as his typists doubles as probably the most blatant mansplaining you'll ever see (the women are so plainly not following and not interested in his story, which makes these segments even more uncomfortable). The worst part of it all is that, if what the film puts forward is actually true, I'm inclined to not believe it based on just this. So much of the doc is amateurish and, by the director's own account, borders on fiction that that's exactly how it ends up coming off in the end. This movie is either a waste of time from an asshole or serious documentary malpractice of a story that deserved much better than this...also from an asshole.
3/10

Long Shot

A dopey script elevated by the chemistry of its leads. Written by someone who doesn't know much about politics but thinks they do (the literal both sides scene is the most telling example). Does that thing in movies where characters are described as great writers or having great jokes, but then you see the writing or hear the jokes and they're just bad. But Rogen and Theron have a surprisingly great rapport together, and their relationship works both in spite of and because of the typical genre tropes. Solid romcom.
6/10

Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw

Same deal as the above actually: dopey script heightened by the charisma of its two leads. Rock and Statham are just really fun bouncing off each other. Everything else
happening around them is so dumb it's not even worth going into, but their relationship is the hook and it works for what it is. I was very confused by how annoying Ryan Reynolds' character was being.
6/10

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Barry Lyndon
I caught a theatrical showing of this, having seen it before several times on DVD and later Blu-ray. This movie is such an incredible achievement, and easily my favorite Kubrick film. It's his most effecting movie for me, and I had forgotten just how tinged with emotion so many scenes are ... most prominent being Barry and Lady Lyndon's first encounter at the card game bathed in candlelight, you can literally see the passion between them despite no words being spoken.

I'm probably going to see it again next week.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry and Tonto

I've been waiting a long time to finally see this. Just so I can understand how in the world Art Carney won Best Actor for this movie, beating out Nicholson, Pacino and Hoffman. And now after seeing it, I still don't understand! It's a very good movie, no question about that. And Carney is pretty good (already seen The Late Show and Going in Style to know he's pretty damn good). But worthy of winning Oscar? Maybe if the acting category was weak, I can see it. Certainly not against the competition he was up against. Oh well. Needless to say, I enjoyed the movie and not just the titular characters, but the supporting cast as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Going from Wikipedia in chronological filmography order (no idea what's actually on Hulu), stuff I've seen and liked from...

Neon:
Colossal
I, Tonya
Three Identical Strangers
The Beach Bum
Monos
Parasite
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

IFC:
Y Tu Mamá También
The Saddest Music in the World
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Drawing Restraint 9
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Out of the Blue
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Flight of the Red Balloon
Mister Lonely
My Winnipeg
Hunger
Che
Gomorrah
Pontypool
Antichrist
Fish Tank
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
The Trip
Tabloid
Weekend
Kill List
The Snowtown Murders
Kid with a Bike
First Position
Antiviral
Frances Ha
Sightseers
Berberian Sound Studio
Byzantium
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Blue Is the Warmest Colour
Like Father, Like Son
Venus in Fur
Boyhood
The Trip to Italy
The Babadook
(from the director of Nightingale)
The Duke of Burgundy
Clouds of Sils Maria
Manglehorn
Baskin
Wiener-Dog
Personal Shopper
I, Daniel Blake
Wildlife
Greener Grass

Annapurna
The Master
Spring Breakers
Her
Foxcatcher
20th Century Women
Detroit
Phantom Thread
The Sisters Brothers
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
(Guessing this is just Netflix)
Destroyer

Magnolia
End Of The Century: The Story Of The Ramones
Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior
Bubble
Jesus Camp
Cocaine Cowboys
Tears of the Black Tiger
The Host
Man On Wire
Let the Right One In
Timecrimes
Two Lovers
Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!
World's Greatest Dad
The House of the Devil
Red Cliff
Mother
I Am Love
I'm Still Here
I Saw the Devil
Rubber
13 Assassins
Melancholia
Outrage
The Hunt
Prince Avalanche
Drinking Buddies
Nymphomaniac
Alan Partidge: Alpha Papa
We Are the Best!
Life Itself
Results
Tangerine
High-Rise
Tickled
The Handmaiden
The Square
Blade of the Immortal
Support the Girls
Shoplifters

I'll asterisk ones I really, really like later.

Thank you sir! I think only some of these titles are available on Hulu, but ill
Wish list these on Letterboxd!

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I just returned from watching the movie. I went in blind. All I knew about it was the trailer that was shown before the Joker. And it was a great film. I really enjoyed it. I went with my brothers and some nephews and it was so worth it. I may go see it again even.
If you are questioning or debating on seei g it, do it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Nightingale
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Directed byJennifer Kent. It centers around a woman named Claire who has a bunch of awful stuff done to her and her family by a British officer (played by Sam Caflin) in the 1820's colonial Tasmania. Then she goes to get her revenge. What an absolutely violent, brutal movie.

Still, highly recommended and the ending was legit.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
So after having read some impressions on 1917, how would you guys that have seen it rate/compare it against Nolan's Dunkirk? Because I wasn't particularly enjoying that one, and would like to not repeat that disappointment.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
So after having read some impressions on 1917, how would you guys that have seen it rate/compare it against Nolan's Dunkirk? Because I wasn't particularly enjoying that one, and would like to not repeat that disappointment.

I thought it was better. It's definitely a broader type of war movie than Dunkirk, and its emotinonal beats landed far stronger for me.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked both. But both also felt like an excersise in filmmaking to me too. I think I had more emotional connection to 1917, but was pushed harder to the edge of my seat in Dunkirk. Both are great.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
May 24, 2019
Sorry. Had to private that since a rando commented on why it contained things not on Hulu.

edit: Okay. Back up with instructions.
e2: Sorry for calling you a rando!

Last edited:

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Hook (1991) - Just watched this in 4K, first time I've seen it in 20+ years. Honestly not as bad as I expected given its infamy. Way too long and messy, but the visuals have aged shockingly well and I was consistently amused.

The young girl in this was so amazing.
She really was! Overall the cast did a pretty good job.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Overall better, but Dunkirk was better at maintaining intensity throughout, since it could crosscut between the three plots and compress/stretch time.

But 1917 is more oppressive and suffocating, textured and tactile; it's human and intimate, working in the same "everyman thrust into hell" narrative wheelhouse of Dunkirk but without Dunkirk's arm's-length approach to characters. There's a sense of forlorn bleakness and constant momentum to the film that the one-shot camerawork helps accentuate; even in the slower moments, the ticking clock looms and distance is really felt in a way that makes their very short timeframe for the mission a constant undercurrent. The mission truly seems like a perilous journey through mud, ruin, darkness, and danger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.