• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Seriously...

Power Rangers. Not that I thought it was a masterpiece but the cast was actually perfect and it needs a sequel.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Speed Racer, Power Rangers and Superman Returns. Would have loved to see follow-ups to all of those.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kurosawa's I Live in Fear is a fab flick, but was his first to lose money, and really troubled him since he was proud of it. Alexander Payne's Election is also a great flick that didn't make back its budget on release. Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead too.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm not really bummed about BR2049 because I don't want any more Blade Runner at least for a while and Villeneuve is working on Dune which may be even bigger than BR2049.

Maybe Pacific Rim but I think the sequel wouldn't have Del Toro direct and would have pandered hard to China anyway.

So for me it's Dredd because fuck do we need more Dredd.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bladerunner technically made its money back and almost 100 million more.

Theaters don't show movies for free, you know. A movie that costs 150 million doesn't make its money back when it hits 150 million at the box office, because obviously the studio doesn't get 100% of the price of admission.

Depending on P&A and a bunch of other factors, movies need to make two to three times their budget for the studio to start seeing a profit. We'd live in a world where John Carter wasn't a flop if not.

And on that note, my vote goes to John Carter.

John-Carter-Mondo-Poster.jpg

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft. Was looking forward to seeing that story told without playing the games.

Alita: Battle Angel. Pretty flawed but I really enjoyed the action and setting.

Speed Racer. Amazing and unique movie. Sad we'll probably never see anything like it again.

Edit:
Ah yeah almost forgot Dredd. That universe deserves to be explored more in live action and that was a solid entry.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys...I'm pretty sure Fincher's Zodiac bombed.

Came out the same weekend as Wild Hogs...and yeah...Wild Hogs won big time.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go with hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I would have loved all the books getting adapted :(

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Equilibrium.

Knew nothing about the movie and watched it at a friend's house on DVD and was blown away. Never understood why more people weren't talking about it.

The premise of having a dystopian future where emotion is a crime was excellent and Bales scene where he experiences a the feeling of a sunrise for the first time or actually feels music is amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head, Warcraft. It felt a little rushed in places (probably because 20 minutes was cut by executives right before release) but i found it great and the 3d in that movie is incredible. Would have really liked a sequel.

EDIT: And Scott Pilgrim. That was great.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Scott Pilgrim. One of Wright's best works and just one of the coolest movies around.

I still say Scott Pilgrim is the best Videogame movie ever.....yes it was based on a comic, but in reality this movie was just a live action videogame.

The Cast was top notch.....didnt all the main characters come from or end up doing something big.
The Scott Pilgrim Blessing?

Dredd and Scott Pilgrim, both are great and it is a shame they never got sequels.

A Scott Pilgrim sequel would need a similar if not bigger budget.....I dont think any studio would have backed that idea and we would have had another Pacific Rim situation.

Pacific Rim 2 was such a disaster of a movie to such a brilliant prequel.....it should have been straight to DVD so everyone doesnt count it.
^Everyone already doesnt count it.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Sleep is amazing and did really bad. Releasing in November I think hurt it.

Somebody earlier mentioned The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and yeah, that was a fun movie. Not only that but it seems like the kind of thing audiences would like so I'm not sure what happened there.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Blade Runner 2049 definitely.

in a way Alien Covenant since i wanted to see how they connected with the orignal but each one was getting worse so maybe it wasn't that bad.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Blade Runner 2049 definitely.

Honestly that was one of the most disappointing results for a film I've ever seen. It's one of the greatest sci-fi films of the past few decades. How a Fifty Shades sequel made around $150m more is beyond me!

Lone Ranger
I really liked it but lop out 20-30 minutes of filler and there's one of the best blockbusters of the past decade in there.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I can agree with Missing Link. It's not the best Laika film, but it definitely deserved to do better. I, too, hope that this doesn't kill Laika as they are one of the few bigger studios still doing stop motion.

I hope they and and Aardman stay alive forever, keeping mainstream animation from going pure CG.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. With Kubo, along with Missing Link as the OP mentioned, Laika deserves a lot more recognition and financial success.

In recent memory, I would have to go with Speed Racer, Upgrade and Lego Movie 2. I wouldn't exactly call them "bombs", but I also wished the likes of Alita: Battle Angel and Kingsman: The Golden Circle did better than they did.

The ones that hurt the most, though, was Cloud Atlas. I positively ADORE this film.

cloud_atlas_banner.jpg
So sad Cloud Atlas didn't do better in the box office. Truly a one (six) of a kind movie. Juggling that many tones and still having a coherent/satisfying ending is mind-blowing.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Equilibrium.

Knew nothing about the movie and watched it at a friend's house on DVD and was blown away. Never understood why more people weren't talking about it.

The premise of having a dystopian future where emotion is a crime was excellent and Bales scene where he experiences a the feeling of a sunrise for the first time or actually feels music is amazing.

Mainly because it's a really bad movie with simplistic and inferior takes on almost every element of the story and world. Don't get me wrong, Equilibrium is one of my favorite "comfort food" movies, and my go-to example of a "bad movie I love." But it's pretty much what would happen if an edgy teenager watched The Matrix a hundred times and decided to adapt Brave New World into an action movie after reading the Sparknotes summary of it. Every single piece of Equilibrium has been done better elsewhere, but I can't deny that it's somehow more than the sum of its parts.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love seeing the love for John Carter, surprised no one else has done another take on Princess of mars since it's public domain.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Dredd, BladeRunner 2049, Pacific Rim.

Movies like that failing while absolute garbage like the Transformers movies getting showered in money is forever the prime evidence that humanity has shit taste.