• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Finished Missing Link last week and WOW the animation is top notch. The movie itself isn't mind-blowing, but it's a pretty decent comedy adventure.
BreakableInfiniteDobermanpinscher-max-1mb.gif

It's such a shame this movie bombed as hard as it did and I hope this doesn't kill Laika. Any movies lately that bombed that shouldn't have?

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Racer, but I won't pretend it was a surprise.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember liking The Golden Compass. Talk of a sequel kept popping back up for a while, but they'd have to replace at least the protagonist, for starters.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Bladerunner 2049.

well at least as far as a movie costing 100's of millions to make goes it was considered "a flop".

Damn am I ever so happy it was made though. My favorite science fiction ever probably.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Child's Play reboot was a fine little horror flick. Shame it bombed. It was better than most of the original series.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blade runner 2049 cause Ryan Gosling is cute in it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Bladerunner 2049.

well at least as far as a movie costing 100's of millions to make goes it was considered "a flop".

Damn am I ever so happy it was made though. My favorite science fiction ever probably.
It really is a fantastic film. Brooding and not a lot of action but Bladerunner was always about the philosophical battle for freedom in a police state. A lot of people went in thinking it was gonna be a blockbuster action flick

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Was gonna get a sequel (WITH TIM CURRY!) and a TV show before the box office came in and they pulled plug. Such a fun world.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Blade Runner 2049 for sure. I'm happy it was made at least, but it sure deserved to be successful. :(

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Dredd. One of the GOAT action movies.
Sort of related, I'd say The Raid 2. Amazing film with amazing action, but a total and complete bomb. A real shame.
Netflix should be throwing tons of money at them.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Dredd, Alita, John Carter, Tron Legacy, and that time Pacific Rim making less money than Grown ups 2

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Probably not because the writer is apparently a shitbag, but American Ultra was great and had some really cool ideas and was a total bomb

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft
Final Fantasy Spirits Within (mostly the repercussions of Square's gaming side)
Chronicles of Riddick
Solo (I really liked it!)
Another vote for Dredd also

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Bladerunner 2049, because they took a gigantic risk pouring a huge budget into a high end sequel to a (now) acclaimed but cult masterpiece, and despite it turning out to be a terrific and worthy sequel, it didn't pay off at all. It's very rare such films get blockbuster budgets like that, and that just made it more likely they almost never will.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
The Child's Play reboot was a fine little horror flick. Shame it bombed. It was better than most of the original series.
I didn't catch it until it came to home video, and yeah, it's better than everything post 3.

Kubo and the Two Strings. I was the only one in the entire theatre aside from a couple. Fuck man.
That's pretty much the story with every Laika film. Their movies are nowhere near as popular as they should be.

Pacific Rim and Scott Pilgrim for me. SP definitely deserved better than it got though, cramming everything into one movie lost a lot of the back half of that series and the lessons that Scott learns.

Apr 19, 2018
Kubo and the Two Strings. I was the only one in the entire theatre aside from a couple. Fuck man.

Agreed. With Kubo, along with Missing Link as the OP mentioned, Laika deserves a lot more recognition and financial success.

In recent memory, I would have to go with Speed Racer, Upgrade and Lego Movie 2. I wouldn't exactly call them "bombs", but I also wished the likes of Alita: Battle Angel and Kingsman: The Golden Circle did better than they did.

The ones that hurt the most, though, was Cloud Atlas. I positively ADORE this film.

cloud_atlas_banner.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Blade Runner 2049 for sure. I'm happy it was made at least, but it sure deserved to be successful. :(
Blade Runner 2049 the thread

Bladerunner technically made its money back and almost 100 million more. It did much better internationally than nationally, and it won two oscars.

bombed in the US? Sure, maybe kinda bombed internationally? not so sure

Bombed in our hearts? Not at all.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

That didn't bomb, it did four times its budget. Actually as Child's Play films go, it did very similar with all the other theatrically release films in the franchise. It was never a giant grossing series.

Bladerunner technically made its money back and almost 100 million more. It did much better internationally than nationally, and it won two oscars.

No, 2049 bombed. Budget of 150-185M (conflicting reports) and only grossed 260 WW. The losses from the film almost killed Alcon Entertainment, the main financier.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not it did not unfortunately. It needed $400 million to break even and didn't come even close. It was a major bomb.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Blade Runner 2049’ Losses Could Hit $80 Million for Producer Alcon

The sequel to the 1982 cult classic will earn far less than its $400 million goal.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Hobbit films. And the Sequel Star Wars trilogy. They didn't bomb, but I'm not a fan and that really bums me out.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The new blade runner. It was heart breaking how much it failed. That movie was incredible from start to finish.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scott Pilgrim. One of Wright's best works and just one of the coolest movies around.