• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I re-watched Happy Death Day recently. I know a lot of people were kind of down on the movie for how much it borrows from other movies, but I have to say that - aside from how 'fun' the movie feels - what really keeps me coming back is Tree's character arc. I don't really go into watching a horror movie (even a comedic one) with the expectation that I'm going to witness a really solid character arc, but Jessica Rothe's performance as Tree really sticks out as one of my all-time favorite character arcs. I love how her personality softens as time progresses (even with the start of the second attempt at the day in how she speaks to Carter in his dorm room), as well as how she comes to embrace her situation and have some fun with it. Tree just becomes so much more likable as the movie progresses, and her growth as a character is incredible. Also, I have to say that the scene in which she goes to speak to her father is absolutely heart-wrenching, and I don't think it'd be nearly as impactful without her personal growth up until that point. Great character. Great movie.

So, which movie(s) and character(s) that you didn't have the highest expectations for managed to surprise and hook you with their character arcs, and why?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nebula in the MCU, it was lowkey and subtle but it was there

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I re-watched Happy Death Day recently. I know a lot of people were kind of down on the movie for how much it borrows from other movies, but I have to say that - aside from how 'fun' the movie feels - what really keeps me coming back is Tree's character arc. I don't really go into watching a horror movie (even a comedic one) with the expectation that I'm going to witness a really solid character arc, but Jessica Rothe's performance as Tree really sticks out as one of my all-time favorite character arcs. I love how her personality softens as time progresses (even with the start of the second attempt at the day in how she speaks to Carter in his dorm room), as well as how she comes to embrace her situation and have some fun with it. Tree just becomes so much more likable as the movie progresses, and her growth as a character is incredible. Also, I have to say that the scene in which she goes to speak to her father is absolutely heart-wrenching, and I don't think it'd be nearly as impactful without her personal growth up until that point. Great character. Great movie.

So, which movie(s) and character(s) that you didn't have the highest expectations for managed to surprise and hook you with their character arcs, and why?
Love this movie. What did you think about the sequel?

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
Life of Pi': Pi. It looks like this whimsical journey with tigers, and a beautiful island, and a riot of colour....and then near the end comments are made by Pi that force you to reassess everything this character has ever said in a new light, and effectively view him as a new and different person....

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Rey in SW being told by Kylo Ren her parents are just filthy junk traders and she has no place in this story, but rejects him, closes the millenium falcon door on him, stops holding on to the idea of her parents having a good reason for abadoning her to slavers, and becomes the hero of her own story. You don't need a special family or destiny to become the hero of Star Wars.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was not expecting the subtle character development of Kay in 2049.

He is a replicant who acts like one until he convinces himself inadvertently that he is human. He then develops a more human feel by expressing more emotions and feelings and ends up displaying both replicant and human traits after being told he was not "the one".

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of reviewers were down on it, and the threads for the movie on ResetEra didn't seem to get much attention.

I haven't seen it. Without spoiling anything, do you think it's a worthy sequel?
I think the sequel was good, but not as good as the original. They definitely set up a third film, but I think that got canceled.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max Fury Road is the modern poster child for this, considering how many people just say it's a back-and-forth chase without anything else going on

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's very different, but just as fun imo
Good to know that it's different. Between your recommendation and the other one above, I think I'll pick it up. I was considering it a few days ago, anyway.

I think the sequel was good, but not as good as the original. They definitely set up a third film, but I think that got canceled.
Honestly, I was kind of hoping for a new cast for the sequel, and I think my decision to not purchase it recently had more to do with that. I can't imagine them topping the original, and I really don't look forward to continuations of stories that feel as though they're wrapped up. That said, I'll check it out. The cancellation of the third one is probably a good thing, but it'll bum me out if the sequel doesn't provide adequate closure.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Rey in SW being told by Kylo Ren her parents are just filthy junk traders and she has no place in this story, but rejects him, closes the millenium falcon door on him, stops holding on to the idea of her parents having a good reason for abadoning her to slavers, and becomes the hero of her own story. You don't need a special family or destiny to become the hero of Star Wars.

But... she was
the granddaughter of the most powerful sith wizard who ever lived ever, so this doesn't count?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Rey is the most powerul ever sith's grand daughter.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nightcrawler. Though I didn't really know what to expect I was delightfully perturbed with the main character.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows

I, too, consider Episode VIII to be the end of the Skywalker Sage :)

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the character arcs in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 were surprisingly good.

Wasn't expecting that from a Marvel movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
For me at least, some other movies where the arc and payoff kind of sneaks up on you:

- Fresh (Boaz Yakin, 1994) - The final scene is such a huge emotional gutpunch
- Runaway Train (Andrei Konchalovsky, 1985) - An ending where the payoff and message lingers unexpectedly
- Le Trou (Jacques Becker, 1960) - The movie has a very controlled, minimalist focus that makes the impact of the finale hit even harder

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The first that comes to mind is Bridesmaids. For a movie that features shitting in the street and a drunk airline freakout, Kirsten Wiig's character's reactions, actions and arc are surprisingly realistic and well done.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Max and Amanda in Final Girls. Didn't expect to be so emotionally invested in a mother daughter horror movie, but damn if it didn't make me cry.

Oct 26, 2017
What I get stuck on with these kinds of discussions is how a character arc is defined. For example, Gary King in The World's End:

tumblr_mvxtpfHh3J1rlx538o3_250.gifv

Did he go through an arc? Is the reveal of a character's true heart and nature considered an arc if they are the same person at the beginning as the end, but we as the audience know more about them?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to break the rules and choose Simon in Gurren Lagann. Fight me about it.

I thought the character arc in that was that the psycho had no character arc?

why is this surprising? Gainax still has better writers than Trigger EASY

Simon's is a worthy Successor to Gunbuster's Noriko in my book.

i Think the last time I was surprised by a characters depth in a movie was Shawn of the Dead

I wasnt expecting to feel emotions in that movie at all

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I thought Fury Road would be just an over the top action movie, however the characters are easily the best part for me, all the protagonists evolve from beginning to end in a satisfying way.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The asshole guy in the 2004 Dawn Of The Dead remake has a great, natural-feeling arc where he goes from an unlikable heel to a hero by the end.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to break the rules and choose Simon in Gurren Lagann. Fight me about it.

I thought the character arc in that was that the psycho had no character arc?

He went from seeming like a down on his luck guy in a tough spot to slowly revealing what a psycho he was. Each time you think "no way, he's not really gonna do that is he? Damn he did"

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Hector from Coco. You think he's just another Pixar co-star, but when you learn about his origins...
It's heartbreaking. đź’”

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nebula in the MCU, it was lowkey and subtle but it was there
Agreed. Her and Tony playing paper football on the ship was so great for her. Her face when she won was perfect, and she seemed legit shook at the end of Endgame because of that interaction, plus her scene where she killed someone after the invasion started (trying to be light on spoilers here, but you probably know what I mean).

I think it was helped a lot by Gillen's (sp?) acting for the character, too. Lots of subtle movements and tics that she pulls off really well with her portrayal. Nebula is definitely one of my top favorite characters in the MCU now and I hope she continues to stick around.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who absolutely HATES the Michael Bay Transformers movies for being such low-brow, brainless, inept, noisy affairs of juvenile toilet humor, blatant sexism, overt racism, cringy jingoism, mindless style over substance, intrusive product placement, insufferable side-characters, painful movie lengths, and insane plots...

... I'm still shocked to high hell that Bumblebee was one of my favorite movies, with Charlie being a standout human companion.
tumblr_pfju972M5v1wazp08o1_400.gifv

Coping with her father's death, losing her joy at life, losing friends... only by film's end to have rediscovered herself and found the strength to move on in a healthy way.

Yeah, it helps Bay didn't direct this one (thanks Travis Knight), but it's such a night and day difference (or should we say... Knight & Bay difference? Eh? EH?).

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
People sleep on how carefully plotted Arnold's terminator is in T2.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
What I get stuck on with these kinds of discussions is how a character arc is defined. For example, Gary King in The World's End:

Did he go through an arc? Is the reveal of a character's true heart and nature considered an arc if they are the same person at the beginning as the end, but we as the audience know more about them?
Yeah, that's a tricky one. There does need to be some development that pushes the character into the opposite direction from which he/she started on some level, but I don't really know whether someone who's been feigning certain qualities at the start counts. I suppose it depends on what they're hiding and what motivates them to reveal their true selves, as it's not as though "bad" characters don't sometimes change in stories for the better. It's possible for such a character to reveal himself/herself at some point in the movie and have a change of heart that completes an arc.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

He had an arc. At the end ordered milk instead of alcohol, accepted his friends moved on, fought for what he thought was right, found new friends, and most importantly moved on with his live instead of trying to re-live his youth.

It's not that easy to see, since it's framed similarly to his usual stuff, but the devil is in the details with this one. He basically went through therapy in the last third of the movie.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
People sleep on how carefully plotted Arnold's terminator is in T2.
Yeah, I'm curious how the perception would be if Cameron left in the scene where they turn on the "learning computer" in the Terminator. With that scene you can really see how an emotionless killing machine can go from "He'll live." to "I know now why you cry..."

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, I was kind of hoping for a new cast for the sequel, and I think my decision to not purchase it recently had more to do with that. I can't imagine them topping the original, and I really don't look forward to continuations of stories that feel as though they're wrapped up. That said, I'll check it out. The cancellation of the third one is probably a good thing, but it'll bum me out if the sequel doesn't provide adequate closure.

I was actually pleasantly surprised they didn't just reuse the premise with a new cast for it. It doesn't quite reach the highs of the first one, but it's still a lot of goofy fun. Worth watching

Oct 26, 2017
He had an arc. At the end ordered milk instead of alcohol, accepted his friends moved on, fought for what he thought was right, found new friends, and most importantly moved on with his live instead of trying to re-live his youth.

It's not that easy to see, since it's framed similarly to his usual stuff, but the devil is in the details with this one. He basically went through therapy in the last third of the movie.
That's a good point. I've watched the movie quite a lot, but I somehow always forget the detail of him ordering milk, simply because he's in a bar and my brain thinks of alcohol when looking back at it.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Love this movie. What did you think about the sequel?
Who the fuck was down on Happy Death Day? That movie and its sequel are goddamn treasures.
It's very different, but just as fun imo
I was actually pleasantly surprised they didn't just reuse the premise with a new cast for it. It doesn't quite reach the highs of the first one, but it's still a lot of goofy fun. Worth watching
I just finished watching Happy Death Day 2U. I have to say, as someone who's really into movies like
Terminator Genisys and Tomb Raider (2018)
, I really enjoyed Happy Death Day 2U. I love it when movies mess with your head like that. Honestly, I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first, though I do think both movies have their own highs that the other doesn't quite match. Thanks again for the recommendation!

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching Happy Death Day 2U. I have to say, as someone who's really into movies like
Terminator Genisys and Tomb Raider (2018)
, I really enjoyed Happy Death Day 2U. I love it when movies mess with your head like that. Honestly, I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first, though I do think both movies have their own highs that the other doesn't quite match. Thanks again for the recommendation!
Glad you enjoyed it!