• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
...Or movies that gave off a "I probably shouldn't have seen that just yet" type sentiments. For me it was a one-two punch of seeing both Akira (Streamline dub) and The Shining around age 12. For the former I had recently started a friendship with a kid at school whose mom didn't really take that much of a close look at the anime she rented for him from the local mom n pop video rental place, so I got to reap the benefits of this oversight.

To put it mildly that first viewing fucked.me.UP. I was raised on the standard Saturday morning cartoon and Disney/Don Bluth fare of American animation so going from that to Akira was like getting thrown into the deep end of all the existential body horror madness and "life really is shit innit" themes of mass destruction and futility that was inherent to so many anime. Of course over time Akira became one of my favorites (yes I know its a mess vs the manga don't really care) but at the time scenes like Tetsuo hallucinating his guts falling out, the bedroom milk bear parade of insanity, and the infamous final transformation scene were a bit much for kid me's psyche to take in.

Then there's The Shining, which would later become my all time favorite horror film but that first viewing scared the tar out of me. Nicholson's descent into homicidal psychosis, the gradual ramping up of ghost activity in The Overlook, and of course the Room 237 scene in particular didn't really do much to dispel earlier childhood fears that spoopy ghosts are lurking about. Shit practically felt like a documentary with how it depicted the supernatural. Still the GOAT.

What are your picks Era?

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Jaws. Saw it in the theater when it first came out. I was a few months shy of 11 and it scared the crap out of me. It took years before I overcame my fear of sharks.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters 2 (Vigo)
Return to Oz (Mombi, Wheelers)

None of the 18 rated action films did though lol. Robocop 1/2 was fine for instance. I just found Akira boring apart from the night cycling bit back then

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
IT when I was 6 years old. Watched it together with my family and it gave me one of the worst nightmares I ever had. We rented it again years later and it wasn't scary at all, but my brother (who is 6 years older) refused to watch since the theme still freaked him out.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Nightmare on Elm Street gave me nightmares for years when I was a little kid. My older cousin made me watch it with him lol

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Watership Down. I saw it when I was 4 back in 1980. It's just a movie about cute bunnies, right?
Lol. No. It most certainly is not.

For me it is Pink Floyd's The Wall, I don't know if it was a movie or just a film clip but my friends older brother was watching it and I saw kids jumping into a sausage machine and that imagery stuck with me for years. I could not shake it.

Also nightmare on elm street. I used to have nightmares about Freddy. Which, of course I did, that was the whole point of the movie

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing. They didn't care what I saw as long as it wasn't nudity, either.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Saw both Alien and Terminator 2 way too young. I used to think I'd get stabbed by that metal arm blade through my mattress at night.

Also caused me to start having nightmares again when I played Alien Trilogy on Saturn. Dunno why I thought that was a good idea.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The Fly.

I was not ready for this amount of body horror.

Terminator 2 was also quite scary in certain moments, the part where he cuts off his flesh to show he's a robot was some freaky shit.

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gremlins.
We rented it one weekend after it came out on VHS. The first night was fine, loved it. The second night I was scared shitless and had nightmares for months.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I was around 8 or 9 when i saw Robocop, the unedited version, and it still disturbs me to this day and I won't watch the Murphy death scene even now.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Jaws - the decapitated head popping out
RoboCop 2 - the brain and spine in a jar
The Exorcist - most of it
The Elephant Man - a lot of it

Flight of the Navigator - the existential dread of losing my family

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
If i had watched Transformers the Movie(1986) first, it would've traumatized me. But since i watched the similar Zombie Optimus Prime TV episode first, that's the one that got me as a kid.

Oct 30, 2017
Another for Watership Down

And quite pathetically, Greyfriars Bobby. It's left an indelible mark on me that even 35 years later I watch it and end up a blubbering mess.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Stigmata.
I don't remember how the movie plays out but it scared the shit out of me. I couldn't sleep well for many nights.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
American Werewolf in London, not the gore/blood but the transformation scene.
I had nightmares about my bones growing so fast that my skin burst.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Childs Play. I think I was about 4 or 5 when I snuck into a room filled with older siblings and cousins and watched it or part of it.

Being that young seeing a toy coming to life and trying to kill you.. it really fucked me up. All my older brothers had to do to shit me up was mention his name. Seeing him? That was a huge no no. I think I slept with the light on till I was about 12.

I'm 32 now and over it, I still just absolutely hate the design and look of the og chucky doll and I've watched the movies and recognise they are mostly dumb rather than scary. But damn if for the longest time I was scared shitless of that little doll.

Oct 28, 2017
The Exorcist, all of it. Me and my brother watched it together (8 and 11 at the time). The video rental store clerk was OK with renting that movie out to 2 little kids. I guess my brother made up some bullshit excuse, and it worked :-)

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I was around 8 or 9 when i saw Robocop, the unedited version, and it still disturbs me to this day and I won't watch the Murphy death scene even now.
Same here. I thought it was going to be like Transformers or something. I was not prepared whatsoever. Very, very disturbing.

Later that year I went to a Halloween party with my parents where the hosts had set up a movie for the kids to watch, so they wouldn't have to supervise us while they partied. That movie was The Thing. I was a big dog lover, so the scene with the Huskies was extremely upsetting. I remember a little girl crying during that scene. I also saw The Fly around that time, which was bad, but not as bad as The Thing or Murphy's torture and execution in Robocop.

eddieXVI

Oct 27, 2017
Deep Star Six (guy exploding)
Jaws (the scene with the severed arm at the coroner)
Robocop (the corrosive acid scene).

My older brother would always watch horror stuff when I was around.

Saw them when I was around 10 and I still don't dare to watch them, except Robocop. But I always have to close my eyes when the acid scene happens.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I got messed up by Ring (original Japanese version) for a bit. I must have been very early teens and the complete unworldy horror weirdness of that movie got to me, I had a tiny tv in my room at the time and I did not like having it uncovered when I went to sleep, let me tell you. It's odd, it wasn't the first traditional horror movie I saw, that was Alien a few years earlier but that movie didn't effect me at all (although I got into real trouble for watching it).

Mar 30, 2019
Invaders from Mars (1986):
Saw when I was 5. Gave me paranoia that my parents were mind-controlled and out to get me.

Terminator:
Saw this when I was 5 or 6. The eye removal scene scared me senseless. The plopping noise it made when he dropped the eyeball into the water turned me away from meatballs for about a month.

Ghoulies or Ghoulies 2: Forgot when I saw whichever one it was, but this scared me shitless literally. I dreaded the bathroom for about a week or two.

I think Poltergeist 2 also may have given me existential terror when I was about 6 years old. I couldn't stop crying for a month about what death meant.

Fun times.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Robocop and Total Recall at a way too young age. In Robocop it's the obvious scene (Murphy getting shot to shit) and for Total Recall I was fine until the end where they suffocate on the Mars surface and their eyes start bulging out 'n shit.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
While I saw bits of Poltergeist as a kid and that was a recurring memory that would come up, the real thing that messed me up as a kid wasn't a movie but was my parents watching The X-Files.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
The Black Hole. This is a Disney film I watched when I was ten and the ending was so disturbing it turned me into an atheist.

I'm not joking. Although I already loved Sci-Fi this film managed to awaken something in me

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I remember not knowing I was watching Fargo. That scene in the end with the leg sticking out of the wood chipper was so...strong. Watched it again as an adult a few years ago, and it's still a good movie.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Eight Legged Freaks. Saw it when I was seven years old and gave me nightmares for weeks, constantly had nightmares about spiders attacking my mom's house and us all dying.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I caught bits of "Tarantula!" as a young child (6 or so), and I think that this alongside finding an actual spider in my hair while in bed shortly thereafter is probably the cause of my mild Arachnophobia.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark - The opening of the Ark scared the bejeezus out of me. The spirits just outright exploding and melting all the villains was something I did not expect as a kid.

Watching the film now, it's obviously foreshadowed but I didn't pay as much attention to the dialogue at the time.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Nightmare on Elm Street ruined my life for a week or two. Laying in bed at night heart racing, not fun.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I watched Akira at 3a.m. when I was four years old. I didn't know it was Akira until years later. Used to think about it a lot.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Child's Play and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Also an obscure movie named Ratman, this one really fucked me up.

Nov 11, 2020
All the films I saw that scared the shit out of me as a young kid, are all films I love dearly to this day. Part of the reason I love them so much, is because I cherish the nightmares they caused me to have, purely due to how entertaining/exciting they were (easy to say looking back, I know, but I stand by that statement)! No real surprises here:
  • Jurassic Park (saw it in the cinema when I was seven).
  • Alien - watched on TV whilst staying with my Dad one night when I was around 8/9, and wow, it's something I've never experienced since. Falling in love with a film, and being absolutely terrified due to it at the same time! That of course led into me watching...
  • Aliens - because you can't just watch the first one, knowing there's a sequel. My Mum didn't want me to watch it due to my reaction to the first one, but I somehow prevailed in seeing it not long after the first one, and again, same reaction.
The only thing that has come close to giving me that same feeling, was Alien: Isolation. :)

EDIT:
Fire in the Sky. That scene will be forever burned into my memory.

My god, I COMPLETELY forgot about this one!
Also one more alien/ET-themed one that I've now remembered (and I'd love to find/watch again), is a home-recording style film (think Blair Witch-esque) about a family out in the country - USA, like a big farmhouse, that suddenly find themselves being confronted at home by little grey aliens. They're climbing up outside the house, and the family eventually hear them inside upstairs, go up, and are then abducted. I'll have to try and seek that one out again, because I thought it was real at first! :D

Last edited: