• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
With the exception of American Beauty (which has aged poorly for a different reason) I disagree.

L.A. Confidential, for instance, is still an incredible film.
Why do you feel like American Beauty has aged poorly?

I haven't seen the movie in awhile and sure, it's pretty heavy-handed at points, but I remember really liking it.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Why do you feel like American Beauty has aged poorly?

I haven't seen the movie in awhile and sure, it's pretty heavy-handed at points, but I remember really liking it.

I enjoy the film, but as I've got older I dont find it as profound and deep as I once did. Plus, Depressed White Man Goes Has Mid-life Crisis is pretty passé.

I can't qualatatively fault the film, the directing, acting and score is all great it just doesnt have the impact it probably did in 1999.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I feel like Idiocracy only aged poorly because it was intended to be a farcical satire and now is just... reality :/

Similar to cyberpunk fiction about capitalism run rampant and now that's just how America is.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Idiocracy only aged poorly because it was intended to be a farcical satire and now is just... reality :/

Similar to cyberpunk fiction about capitalism run rampant and now that's just how America is.
To be honest Idiocracy is aspirational at this point.

Camacho gave a shit about people and listened to someone he thought was smarter than him.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
To be honest Idiocracy is aspirational at this point.

Camacho gave a shit about people and listened to someone he thought was smarter than him.
Yeah, honestly, we're approaching the world of Idiocracy at the start of the film.

We can only hope we reach the aspirational end of the film at this point.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
The fact someone mentioned Peter Pan, surprised it wasn't followed up with other Disney films that had outdated content:

Dumbo - the black men with no faces working near the beginning and the crows.

Lady and the Tramp - The Siamese Cat Song

Aristocats - Also had a stereotypical Siamese cat.

Pocahontas - Though that was controversial to begin with.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact someone mentioned Peter Pan, surprised it wasn't followed up with other Disney films that had outdated content:

Dumbo - the black men with no faces working near the beginning and the crows.

Lady and the Tramp - The Siamese Cat Song

Aristocats - Also had a stereotypical Siamese cat.

Pocahontas - Though that was controversial to begin with.

Aladdin also got flack as well when it came out.

In fact the uproar was loud enough that Disney changed the opening lyrics, but they still kept the "barbaric" line lol.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
For me personally, it was Rat Race.

When I was a kid I split my sides laughing at this movie.

I watched it recently. A lot of stuff is really low brow humor combined with a bunch of r word slurs, homophobia/transphobia along with some pretty janky slap stick humor. It definitely had a late 90s and early 2000s stink/feel to it as well, with the Smashmouth music and stuff.

The Hitler scene will never not be funny though.
I literally just watched that movie. I still love it to death. But I agree about the slurs and stuff. But it's still funny. It's also a time capsule to remind us of a time when Smash Mouth and The Baja Men were relevant and every-fucking-where. Shame that John Cleese turned out to be a terrible Rowling-supporting transphobe though. Other than that it's a really good remake of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Anything with Kevin Spacey in it
Moon is still fucking amazing. He only plays the voice of a computer but it's only because he has such a distinct voice. I adore that movie. It's just really good.

Austin always hooks up consensually. He's never rapey, it can be creepy but he always respects the women
Agreed. The whole point of the movie is that Austin is a product of his time who has to learn how to be a better person because he's not living in his time anymore.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Did you listen to the recent Chapo Traphouse episode on exactly this? They go into a lot of detail on the politics of Avatar. It's a fantastic movie and probably one of the most subversive ever made simply down to the scale of its box office and the messages it pushes.

Lol give me a fucking break. Jim Cameron accidentally backing into timeliness 13 years later because he retold Fern Gully with blue cats doesn't make that 2 hour yawn of an effects reel "a fantastic movie." With his disowning of Piranha 2, Avatar is easily Cameron's worst film, maybe tied with True Lies depending on how poorly one feels that has aged.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I guess I'll die another day...
DAD+tsunami3.gif
NO ONE CAN TELL.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Lol give me a fucking break. Jim Cameron accidentally backing into timeliness 13 years later because he retold Fern Gully with blue cats doesn't make that 2 hour yawn of an effects reel "a fantastic movie." With his disowning of Piranha 2, Avatar is easily Cameron's worst film, maybe tied with True Lies depending on how poorly one feels that has aged.

Most filmmakers would kill to have Avatar as their worst film. I still think it's True Lies.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Oooh it's bad, I thought it was quite lame at the time though.
There are so many things "off" with this scene that it becomes hard to even place them. Why are they all... running at each other? Why do they shoot a little bit before brawling? Why are the background actors, when Batman and Bane are talking, wrestling like high school boys? Why is it all shot at the blandest time of day?

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I dunno, if anything Se7en becomes even creepier / more horrifying than it already is.

Haven't seen it in ages but I assume the movie itself is still fine if you can get over the white actor in brownface playing an indian scientist.

Even worse a lot of fans in India thought it was a genuine Indian actor (I can't remember his name) because Fisher Stevens looks uncannily like him, a lot of fans wrote him letters about Short Circuit and he wrote back saying sorry it wasn't actually him.

Also the fact they use an anti-Semitic joke to prove Johnny 5 is Capable of genuine emotione and humour is not great.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even worse a lot of fans in India thought it was a genuine Indian actor (I can't remember his name) because Fisher Stevens looks uncannily like him, a lot of fans wrote him letters about Short Circuit and he wrote back saying sorry it wasn't actually him.

I find that hard to believe, considering it's a completely shitty caricature performance.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I find that hard to believe, considering it's a completely shitty caricature performance.

Here you are, it was Javed Joffrey who was the Bollywood actor who Indian fans thought was in the movie.

creativecriticality.net

Culture on My Mind – Lessons from Short Circuit

Culture on My Mind June 19, 2020 This week’s “can’t let it go” are a pair of favorite movies from my childhood. I love the Short Circuit films. Yeah, I said it. Both of the …