• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While good, Total Recall looks old even for something from 1990.

giphy.gif

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Monster's Ball was showered with praise when it came out and won Halle Berry an Oscar.

It is about a super racist dude who becomes "not-racist" because he meets a black woman he feels attracted too. It's very low effort and pretty offensive.

I guess I'll die another day...
DAD+tsunami3.gif
This is implying this was ever not outdated. This scene in particular was always ridiculous.

Oct 30, 2017
Both
Not only the first ends in sexual harassment and bucket full of transphobia, the second one is full of racism, colonialism and white savior syndrome

oh no, haven't seen the second one since it first came out but will steer clear.

The only good thing about the first one is seeing how far we've come since then. Hopefully we're on the right path towards acceptance and understanding.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
See you at the party!

31c8c426ded743c86b534c678ee461d3.jpg

I am BAFFLED that there is "gun warfare" on Mars when ALL THE DOMES ARE MADE OF SIMPLE FUCKING GLASS. WHY. WHY WHY WHY??? 😂

Every goddamned night... on the telephone?

a lot of Hughes has aged badly

He was good at looking at class/wealth disparity and creating some fantastic family-related drama. But when it came to matters of sexuality and race he was totally blind.

Oh! I'm going to lump Leon the Professional in here. But...I think this had its issues even back then. Given that Luc Besson has had some sexual harassment accusations levied against him in recent years (and going back decades), it really adds some lousy sub text to the film (although I appreciate the odd matchup of a fucked-up girl and ...seemingly dim man living a simple [hitman] life; the movie is still prety uncomfortable at times and not willing to talk about it much).
leon-the-professional-03.jpg

...This makes it worse:
www.nme.com

Natalie Portman opens up about experiencing "sexual terrorism" after starring in 'Leon' at 13

Natalie Portman has spoken out about being sexualised early in her career, saying that she experienced "sexual terrorism" from the age of 13

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of 90s/00s comedy is just racist/sexist/homophobic so I really don't enjoy rewatching stuff from back then.
That stuff exists in real life. It doesn't both me on rewatch unless the they glorify the hero doing some nasty shit (like the rapey stuff from comedies in the 70s and 80s). I actually don't mind racist characters in general though. One of the main characters in 48 Hours is really racist and kind of shitty but it works for me because I know people like that IRL. Its not I like his character, but for me at least it definitely works in the movie and it makes you love Eddie Murphy even more for dealing with his bullshit.

Most movies for me are exactly as good now as when I originally saw them. I still think Jaws is extremely awesome. Same with Raiders, GodFather, Superman 1, etc. I don't generally buy the argument that something doesn't age well. At least not for movies in the last 50 years.

One movie I loved as a kid that I just found kind of horrible was ET. Not sure why it doesn't work for me anymore but it didn't. And I generally love kids movies from that era and was around when there was a real ET craze.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit St. Elmo's Fire was booooring. I loved John Hughes movies in my younger days but never saw that one until recently. I'm not positive that it "doesn't hold up" so much as "kinda always sucked."
16 Candles I haven't seen since high school but I hated it back then, despite generally loving John Hughes.

St. Elmo's Fire isn't John Hughes, it is Joel Schumacher.

Dec 25, 2018
Fun fact: they're rebooting it too
By Seth McFarlane too.

They should just do what the Robot Chicken skit did and have the Nerds go to jail.
Though regardless going by the comments in the article, there's chuds already complaining about "PC gone mad!" in anticipation of some of the old movies problematic shit getting remade through a 2020 lens.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
Twister?

I dunno, I still enjoy it. Nostalgic. Great cast. But its SFX suffers from some pretty obvious flaws now.

I'm kind of divided on whether I want to see them continue with the upcoming reboot.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Independence Day with my son a few weeks ago. Holy shit does that movie suck. Jokes are horrible. Special effects haven't aged well.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
That movie has a lot more problems than that scene. Long Duk Dong for instance.
Pretty much. There's also that part where that guy Samantha likes admits to Farmer Ted that he could have his way with his girlfriend anytime he wants (I think he says "violate her" too). Sixteen Candles, that "world" is the world many Right-wingers haven't grown out of and are fighting so desperately to hold onto and keep relevant, especially with racist agendas and toxic masculinity. It's literally the world guys like Jim Jordan and Brett Kavanaugh were primed in.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I watched Independence Day with my son a few weeks ago. Holy shit does that movie suck. Jokes are horrible. Special effects haven't aged well.

I can perhaps see how it may be different in the US, but at least in Spain, Independence Day was the butt of jokes since the very day it premiered. Even as I watching it I realized it was the worst movie I had ever seen in a theater, and it remains so until today. It only aged badly in the sense that a dog turd ages badly.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I watched both Long Kiss Goodnight & Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang for the first time last night and I feel like those movies both probably played better when they were initially released.

In Long Kiss sam Jackson is calling Gina Davis bitch like every other sentence and Kiss Kiss was pretty sexist and homophobic throughout, despite one of the main characters being gay. It also just had that annoying 90s self aware dialogue that got on my nerves after about 10 minutes.

All that said I actually enjoyed Long Kiss quite a bit, Kiss Kiss not so much

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
American Pie.

Largely for broadcasting his attempt at sex to the whole school. Jim would probably be in jail or juvi if this were made today

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Raimi spider-Man films.

Feel like they get cheesier the older they get for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
People were so used to bad Bond Films that when Die Another Day came out, many kind of saw it as a return to form.

It aged very rapidly.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
oh no, haven't seen the second one since it first came out but will steer clear.

The only good thing about the first one is seeing how far we've come since then. Hopefully we're on the right path towards acceptance and understanding.

Rewatched the second one for the first time since childhood last year...and best left to fond memories, even though the 'Rhinoceros birth' scene still got me good.

Same goes now for the original now. I just look up the glass-door "AHHHH" scene online if I need a pick me up chuckle from time to time.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
The King and I is incredibly racist. That is probably an easy answer though, as most films that involve race in some way have aged terribly.

Outside of Lord of the RIngs the majority of Peter Jacksons work is terrible.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Pretty much every raunchy comedy from the late '70s and '80s.

Hollywood would add T&A into nearly anything low-brow, just to get men into the theatres hoping to catch a glimpse.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The article is indeed accurate on its description of the movie, and yet:
See, as he carries out his mission to track down and kill the replicants, Rick Deckard is presented to us in no uncertain terms as the hero of "Blade Runner."

At no point does the film imply, let alone "in no uncertain terms", that Deckard is a hero for killing beings almost mentally indistinguishable from human beings and whose entire sin is having being created as slave labor. Hell, the opening text calls into attention killing a replicant is not called execution; it's called "retirement". What, you think the movie calls attention to the corporatespeak euphemism, but is otherwise clueless as to who holds what moral ground and rooting for Deckard? Do you really think Zhora's death is meant to make you go "Yeah, one down! Go Deckard!".

I guess if you watched it as a kid (which, well, you probably shouldn't), you would see the cop as the hero, and the scary super-strong replicants as the villains (especially coming from Terminator), but there's really no excuse for an adult having this view of the movie. It seems to me the author of the article had a culture shock by contrasting his naive interpretation of the movie with what it's really saying underneath all the neon and flying cars wowcoolfuture.jpg.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
The Big Hit.

MV5BMzE1MDM4Mjg2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDMwOTc0NA@@._V1_.jpg

I loved this movie as a child and rewatched it last week. It is still a damn good action comedy, well unless it is your first time then you are complaining that about why Mark Walhberg's character, who most def is at least in his mid 20's is totally going to fuck this high schooler. Me as someone who used to watch it constantly from '98 onwards, I just remember having the biggest crush on China's character.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I still really like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but man when people talk about movies they couldn't make today they should name that one instead of stuff like Blazing Saddles. At least the way it exists Fast Times could never be made today. The first part of the movie revolves around a 15 year old high school girl trying to, and succeeding in, getting laid by a 26 year old stereo salesman by pretending she is 19. And the famous Phoebe Cates scene, like it's implied the character is older than Stacy but she's still in high school and likely underage. They filmed a scene with Stacy and Damone standing in front of each other fully nude but for ratings reasons the scene wasn't included in the movie, hopefully it remains buried.

On top of that there is casual homophobia tossed around like other movies of it's time.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I guess Bill Murray makes a racist joke at some point, but that's not really indicative of the entire film being racist.
What is the racist joke? Near the end when he says "Aren't you supposed to say "have a good fright?" or when he makes a joke about people being short? Genuinely curious, I can't recall

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
ufKrwhQCUJvSM9NDGlNyYjiZmzvW4LcPKn4OEJ6TXTFtYjCcAIhgVbJbU6NCbN1I3swFrxIUF7mzym5As6rR1oDxUFaBvj-ULrXmxwLTX3P3wRw=w720-h405-rw

Gotta be Soul Man right? Also kind of agree on Revenge of the Nerds but Booger is a legendary character