• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Black Swan is a horror film. I am not sure if that is what most people think or not, but it seemed to be marketed as a thriller.

The majority of the events in The Shining seem to take place between Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years, and it's a movie about spending time with family and features lots of snow and sweaters. I thus consider it a Christmas movie.
To me, a Christmas movie (which is not a genre unto itself) is one in which the events of the film could only occur during Christmas. The Shining absolutely does not fall under that umbrella.
"Christmas movie" isn't a genre
You are correct.
No it isn't. It only started because the film was G-rated and released during the Christmas season. Eventually "Your Uncle on Facebook" jokes started to emerge and it snowballed like some weird conspiracy theory to even where 20th Century Fox said it was "the greatest Christmas story ever!"

It's not a Christmas movie. Never was. Just set during Christmas.

Die Hard being a Christmas movie is literally fake news and I am still surprised people fall for it and legit 100% defend that position. People who do probably believe other weird conspiracy theories too. Avoid them at all costs.
You are also correct. The events of Die Hard could have occurred at any time of year and it would not change the movie (except that one sign wouldn't have "Ho ho ho" on it).

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
"Many people don't associate" Alien with the horror genre? :)

Heh, I hit post and knew that was coming. I was agreeing about the first Terminator being horror, then commenting how both franchises ditched their horror themes for more action oriented movies. Of course, Alien is known classic horror.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently posted that I thought Alien and Terminator were horror movies, and thats why I hate the sequels to both. Its all action after that.
It feel like Terminator 2 was so successful as an action movie that it knocked the zeitgeist completely away from the horror aspects of the first.
Terminator 2 is also kind of a road movie

A road movie is a film genre in which the main characters leave home on a road trip, typically altering the perspective from their everyday lives.[2] Road movies often depict travel in the hinterlands, with the films exploring the theme of alienation and examining the tensions and issues of the cultural identity of a nation or historical period; this is all often enmeshed in a mood of actual or potential menace, lawlessness, and violence,[3] a "distinctly existential air"[4] and is populated by restless, "frustrated, often desperate characters".[5] The setting includes not just the close confines of the car as it moves on highways and roads, but also booths in diners and rooms in roadside motels, all of which helps to create intimacy and tension between the characters.[6] Road movies tend to focus on the theme of masculinity (with the man often going through some type of crisis), some type of rebellion, car culture, and self-discovery.[7] The core theme of road movies is "rebellion against conservative social norms".[5]

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Boogie Nights (my favorite movie) is a drama

Some parts of it are very silly, very comedic. It's also a comedy

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd say about half the Batman films that exist could pretty easily be argued to be horror films, and the new one they're filming now looks like it will be too.

Frozen 2 is in the incredibly rare genre of "Thanksgiving Movies."

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say about half the Batman films that exist could pretty easily be argued to be horror films, and the new one they're filming now looks like it will be too.
If you take out Batman's costume and Joker's make-up, and some of their antics, The Dark Knight is basically just a straight crime thriller/drama.

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
The Village is a love story/romance film, rather than whatever the fuck the trailers for the film had you believe (thriller? I guess)

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Avengers: Infinity War is a Greek tragedy, Endgame is its heavily-extended deus ex machina.
Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
Who hurt you

It totally is a Christmas movie
Gremlins is a Christmas movie.

I just need to say that I'm so sick of this. You guys realize you're perpetuating a meme built from toxic masculinity, right?

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait what? How?
I'm not a Die Hard guy (seen it once, was alright), but the meme seems.. harmless? Where does the toxic masculinity come in?
It's a reactionary response to Christmas not catering to mass media's usual trend of violent entertainment. The idea of Die Hard as a Christmas movie was highly promoted by Spike TV as the "grown men's alternative" to children's movies and Hallmark Channel dreck. Peppered throughout this meme's entire lifetime are all the hallmarks of toxic masculinity.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Whiplash isn't really a horror movie, but it comes way closer than "drama about jazz" would ever lead you to expect.

EPz5-aJX0AA0zmM.jpg

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I just need to say that I'm so sick of this. You guys realize you're perpetuating a meme built from toxic masculinity, right?

Gremlins is a horror movie that heavily uses the iconography of Christmas and takes place entirely at Christmas time. I'll keep that in mind for the future I guess, but I didn't think using it to answer OP was an issue.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Gremlins is a horror movie that heavily uses the iconography of Christmas and takes place entirely at Christmas time. I'll keep that in mind for the future I guess, but I didn't think using it to answer OP was an issue.

Die Hard is really more the problem in that context. Gremlins is very firmly rooted in Christmas as part of its storytelling. You could change Die Hard to any other time of year and all you need to do to the plot is change the reason for McClane's visit and the company party, which is trivial.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Agreed with the above post from Keldroc, but despite being the less-offensive example, stating it's a Christmas movie tends to come from a similar place, wanting to insert pre-existing violent media into Christmas as a reaction to more "wholesome" Christmas entertainment, without going whole hog and promoting the pre-existing films like the slasher Black Christmas as "Christmas movies" because they're simply TOO on-the-nose, or films like The Family Stone because they're not violent.

Last edited:

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No it isn't. It only started because the film was G-rated and released during the Christmas season. Eventually "Your Uncle on Facebook" jokes started to emerge and it snowballed like some weird conspiracy theory to even where 20th Century Fox said it was "the greatest Christmas story ever!"

It's not a Christmas movie. Never was. Just set during Christmas.

Die Hard being a Christmas movie is literally fake news and I am still surprised people fall for it and legit 100% defend that position. People who do probably believe other weird conspiracy theories too. Avoid them at all costs.
lol maybe don't create a weird conspiracy theory about why people think Die Hard is a Christmas movie in the same post you deride them

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, since when is Gremlins not a Christmas movie? The entire plot of the movie centers around Christmas. The Mogwai was a Christmas gift. The rampage was on Christmas. Plus there's that whole Santa story. It's a Christmas movie. Christmas movies are allowed to be dark and edgy.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Die hard is as much a Christmas movie as the sound of music. The tradition of watching it at Christmas makes it one.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
first man is a horror movie

It's pretty funny to compare the Saturn V launch from Apollo 13 and First man.

Apollo 13 is filled with so much pathos and gleefulness about conquering space, meanwhile in First Man these rockets are more like rust buckets held together by a couple of nuts and bolts. Tom Hanks marches to the rocket like a hero, Gosling walks to it like it's his death sentence.

Overall I like First Man's depiction more, even if it can a bit too gloomy at times

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't call David Lynch's work "horror," they're too idiosyncratic to be easily categorized according to genre, but they definitely draw a lot from other genre work, and some of the scariest scenes in the medium are from the likes of "Mulholland Drive" and "INLAND EMPIRE."

Dec 31, 2017
It's pretty funny to compare the Saturn V launch from Apollo 13 and First man.

Apollo 13 is filled with so much pathos and gleefulness about conquering space, meanwhile in First Man these rockets are more like rust buckets held together by a couple of nuts and bolts. Tom Hanks marches to the rocket like a hero, Gosling walks to it like it's his death sentence.

Overall I like First Man's depiction more, even if it can a bit too gloomy at times

Yeah it really showcases the danger and desperation well.

And I suppose I never thought about it in detail, but the moon landing itself is an incredible feat of piloting skill and technology. That scene had me on edge even though I knew the ending.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Alien Resurrection is a comedy.

And I don't mean that as in it's so bad its funny I mean it was intentionally shot as a comedy. It is also bad.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars is a traditional Hero's Journey and is specifically NOT sci-fi like many people think it is. It's basically Lord of the Rings with a different skin.