• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
My girlfriend and I watched the stage and animated Anastasias back-to-back recently and we agreed it was really obvious how tacked-on Rasputin feels in the latter, as fun a character as he is. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the climax where, right after Anastasia's grounded internal conflict approaches its resolution, Rasputin (who Anastasia's never met before) crashes in so the kid's film can have its big final boss climax with CGI flying horse statues and green magic and the heroine giving the badass one-liner before the bad guy gets sucked into hell by demons after his reliquary's destroyed. It then cuts back to the grounded plot without anyone bringing up the evil lich who destroyed the Pont Alexandre III. Jarring doesn't begin to describe it.

Rasputin's replacement in the stage production, Bolshevik General Gleb, creates a far better climax simply by threatening Anastasia at gunpoint and their conflict + resolution coming from the lasting impacts the revolution had on them both. Granted, I'm not sure how you'd have a climax like that in a 90s American animated kid's film

Last edited:

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
hm, that makes sense if you were looking for just drama, and not horror. so on the other hand, as i was looking for horror, i would have been disappointed if it had remained as a tragedy. horror where the tragedy element is really well done is exceedingly rare. hereditary is one of the only good movies that fit in that niche.

i can see where y'all are coming from. in a way, i'm happy it's a shitty third act for you, cause i got mine hehehe

Yeah... this is kind of where I sit on it. Like sure, I get it, some people don't like batshit insane tales of cult worship, but I am not gonna lie... watching a movie grounded in a reality centered around
how a son neglects his sister to the point where it leads to her gruesome tragic death and the drama that follows and tears the family apart
That's just not for me. That's IMO just a much darker film that I don't think I'd be able to finish.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Ritual (2017) is a very solid horror movie, in a very desolate setting. Until the 3rd act, where, depending on your taste, things may change a bit.

I still recommend it, though. The first 2 acts are great.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There's a haunted house movie called "The Awakening" with a really fun protagonist who's job is to discover fake psychics/mystics and out them so they can't dupe the public anymore. She gets invited to a really creepy haunted orphanage where the teachers are still suffering from what they experienced in WW1, there's all these creepy hidden alcoves, and it all just a solid haunted house film with a solid cast until…

The third act starts with her getting horribly beaten and essentially taken out of the rest of the movie, and it turning out ghosts are real but the only one she ever encountered is here in the orphanage and is her dead brother she has no memory of. So our protagonist is beaten to a pulp and is apparently so bad at her job that despite years of looking for ghosts forvyears she only found them when they were related to her.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Sunshine. The first two thirds of this film are absolutely amazing "realistic" sci-fi. Then it just turns into a slasher film for the last 30 minutes. I don't think I've ever been this disappointed into a film. Ugh, it still hurts.

This is my pick every time we have this discussion every few years. Amazing sci fi into a slasher horror. TERRIBLE, even despite its incredible soundtrack.