• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
In this thread we will list films that that you legitimately like or think that they are good, yet are universally considered as bad movies.

Just to be clear, this thread isn't about movies that are so bad that they are good or films that you enjoy despite knowing that they are bad or your guilty pleasures. Instead, this thread is about movies that are widely considered as bad yet you cannot understand why that is the case.

So, let me start with a couple of black comedy classics.

1. Nothing but Trouble.

Nothing_but_trouble_poster.jpg

A film considered so bad that it derailed the entire Dan Aykroyd career. Yet, I think is a really good black comedy movie, full of creativity and twists. Sure, the movie is grotesque, but that is a quality it has by design.

2. The Cable Guy

TheCableGuy.jpg

Jim Carrey as a bad guy? The horror! :S Another misunderstood black comedy film.

I really believe that there is no other genre as misunderstood as black comedy, so we get stuck with mostly uninspired crap whenever I want to see a funny movie.

What about you, guys?

Last edited:

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Armageddon. I don't know how people prefer Deep Impact to it. Entertaining all the way through.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Bros movie. Sure it's a terrible "Nintendo" movie, but the concept was really interesting and the actors really did their best to make it work. If you can, watch the "making of" - they really do go into some interesting details.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Bros movie. Sure it's a terrible "Nintendo" movie, but the concept was really interesting and the actors really did their best to make it work. If you can, watch the "making of" - they really do go into some interesting details.
A cyberpunk, gritty Mario movie. Although is not the best execution, I'm certainly glad that it is a thing.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Cars 2. Ok, maybe not "good," and certainly not pixar tier. But like, it was fine. It was decently entertaining and certainly not the worst way to spend 2 hours. I liked it well enough, and I think its underrated for what it was (since it was rated really really badly!)

Cars 3 on the other hand, while benefiting from dropping much of the zany antics of the second film, was largely forgettable.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Reign of Fire is great

Post apocalypse McConaughey and dragons? What's not to like?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Warcraft-Poster-Art.jpg

I absolutely love the visuals for magic in this and the fact that we don't really get too many high fantasy movies with wizards, knights, magic, non-human characters, etc means I'll take whatever I can get.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
SMB_Movie_Poster.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, this movie is charming as fuck. The source material is so silly and nonsensical, that it needed to be adapted to make it work.

I think the idea of the meteor that killed the dinosaurs actually splitting the world into two dimensions, is a clever way to explain the existence of the Mushroom Kingdom and King Koopa.

Also, regardless of how the actors feel about the movie, the casting was perfect. Hoskins and Leguizamo will always be Mario Mario and Luigi Mario, to me.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Universally, like, by the public? I cant think of anyone. I mean, if it's universally disliked, there's probably a reason for it.
If we go by critics, probably Clue (1985). That movie was destroyed by them, and I dont get it. It's not a masterpiece, but it's hilarious and turned a board game into a watchable, high entertaning whodunnit.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
All the Marvel movies that aren't Iron Man 1, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Black Panther

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That move where you see something you dislike, say, a console, spin 360 degrees and move away from it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Weather_man.jpg

I don't even know why it reviewed so poorly, but I think it's a really good, dark comedy. Maybe it just happened to come out in a time in my life where all its emotional beats hit home for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen it in forever but I used to always say Blindness. From the acclaimed director of City of God, it got trashed by critics ("Top Critics" on RT gave it a 30%, Ebert gave it a 1 star, etc) that really halted the momentum of Fernando Meirelles (who just had a brief comeback with The Two Popes).

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
rubber_2010_04.jpg

I never met someone who likes this movie.
I don't love it but if you watch the first 5 minutes you kind of get it why it it is like it is and that self awareness elevates it a bit.
Yeah it's full of itself but it pulls it off quite good.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Most Adam Sandler movies, really. But I thought That's My Boy was a great return-to-form. Feel like this could have come out in the 90s.

MV5BMTM3NDMyNzgzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIyMTA1Nw@@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't know Beverly Hills Cop 3 was considered to be really bad, even by Eddie Murphy. I loved it when I was a kid and watched it recently. It's still a fun movie.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud Atlas generally has a negative review, a 55 on MetaCritic, but I really like it. I think it's hard to follow if you haven't read the book and you don't really know where it's going or what the premise is, so I think I liked it more because I read the book and loved the book.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Rotten Tomatoes rated movies rated below 30 that I own and enjoy (not counting cult films, 80's horror etc)

Strange Wilderness. 2% I have no ability to justify why I like this movie, but like Grandma's Boy (16%) I just find them so stupid that they somehow work. In a similar vein, Down Periscope (12%) somehow finds its way onto my screen on an annual basis.

Event Horizon (27%) is a fun choice as well And House of a 1000 Corpses (20%) is on my list for the amazing Did Haig as Captain Spaulding.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The recent Suspiria remake and the Darren Aranofsky movie Mother! Are two movies in recent years that I really liked that reviewed poorly.