• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I mean with the physical card. Do you just show up to a theater and use it like a debit card or do you go through an app ahead of time?
Both. You can select that you are seeing a movie and enter the showtime ahead of time, then when you get to the theater you check in and select the movie.
I don't know if it puts the money on the card before the actual check in at the theater, but they leave a large window for buying the ticket physically at the theater.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
With Helios and Matheson Anaytlics Inc being delisted from the NASDAQ (Their value was less than cent, which needless to say is a far cry from the dollar requirement), I wonder what is in store for Moviepass now.

I wonder if they'll follow through with the plans to do a partial spinoff of MoviePass Entertainment Holdings; and what it'll do to stay afloat.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
This popped up when I went to go see a movie. Being the idiot I am, I sent in a pic of my ID without blocking out the sensitive info.

Hello ID Theft :(

I think I'm done, then. Already had cancelled my yearly sub a few months ago, but I think I'm just gonna let them lock my account after I fail to check-in for Alita today.

Back to Tuesday shows for me!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when MoviePass is going to do their new plan they recently mentioned where they would restore the 30 movies per month deal. It had sounded like that was going to be announced within a couple weeks. Apparently it's going to involve a complete revamp of how the service works, "MoviePass 2.0"

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/03/19/237244/moviepass-brings-back-its-unlimited-movie-plan said:
MoviePass Brings Back Its Unlimited Movie Plan (techcrunch.com)
Posted by BeauHD on Tuesday March 19, 2019 @09:30PM from the back-from-the-dead dept.

The subscription plan that made MoviePass explode in popularity is coming back. If you're willing to pay for a full year (via ACH payment), "MoviePass Uncapped" will cost the same as the original unlimited plan, namely $9.95 per month, and will allow you to get an unlimited number of 2D movie tickets.
TechCrunch reports:

Now, you may be thinking that this kind of deal is exactly what got MoviePass into so much trouble last year, to the point where it nearly ran out of money and began announcing new pricing plans and restrictions on a seemingly constant basis. However, the company's announcement today includes multiple references to its ability to "combat violations" of MoviePass' terms of use. And those terms do say that "MoviePass has the right to limit the selection of movies and/or the times of available movies should your individual use adversely impact MoviePass's system-wide capacity or the availability of the Service for other subscribers."
So if you're a heavy MoviePass user, the plan may not be truly unlimited. In addition, you'll only be able to reserve tickets three hours before showtime, and you'll need to check in to the theater between 10 and 30 minutes before the movie starts.

Worth noting: the $9.95 per month rate is available only if you pay for a full year, otherwise it will cost $14.95 for a limited time. The regular price will be $19.95 per month.

Yeah... no.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I got our Sinemia cards in the mail a few weeks ago and have used it twice already. No issues whatsoever, saw Lego Movie 2 and Captain Marvel exactly when we wanted to see them, not on some shitty lottery schedule.

I used and loved MoviePass for over two years when the price was $40/mo, back when it allowed you to see any movie only once. Before it dropped to $10/mo, they were jacking up the price from $40 to $50 to $55 and adding restrictions on how many tickets could be sold per day across the nation, so we cancelled. Six months later, roughly, they went to the crazy price of $10/mo with unlimited, and that might have been the best year I've experienced as far as movie going is concerned. We quit it again when they restricted it beyond usability and we've been movie deprived.

Since all we have in our town are Regal theaters, my wife and I would happily go back to paying $40/mo if they could return the system to how it was back then. Hopefully, Sinemia can provide that service.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, Flix is no longer an e-ticket theater.

I'll give it the rest of the month (I can still see some Drafthouse listings at 10pm), but this may finally be the end for me.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Man, you have to arrive at the theater no later than 10 minutes early? Something I used to like doing (back when MoviePass was $35 a month) was go to the theater, see what movie just started, and see that. I missed a few movie trailers, darn.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it. I might have to switch to Sinemia then. I loved e-tickets with flix.
For the love of god don't subscribe to Sinemia. I'm out of 5+ months i pre-purchased because they recently started demanding you send them a picture of yourself and a scan of your drivers license to "prevent fraud", and are making no pretenses that they aren't selling your information.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn it. I might have to switch to Sinemia then. I loved e-tickets with flix.

Nah you don't want this. It's not worth it at all. Keep in mind that you pay like $5 per movie you see on top of your subscription plan in additional fees. And they're selling your information and who knows what else. It's an evil version of MoviePass with a pretty coat of paint.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
For the love of god don't subscribe to Sinemia. I'm out of 5+ months i pre-purchased because they recently started demanding you send them a picture of yourself and a scan of your drivers license to "prevent fraud", and are making no pretenses that they aren't selling your information.
Why is "prevent fraud" in quotes? That's exactly why they are doing it, to keep people from sharing their account with friends.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you're near an AMC, A-List is amazing. I see movies in Dobly / True IMAX every weekend. The movie selection isn't as great as with peak Moviepass, but the theater-going experience is miles better. I'm in NYC which is peak AMC so ymmv, of course!

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It seems like they aren't blocking the available movies as much as they did in the latter half of last year. I've actually been able to use my MP card lately for stuff I've wanted to see when I wanted to see it (admittedly, not Marvel movies but even those seemed to be there).

Maybe they fired the people who were taking care of that stuff? I just have the original 9.99 sub from the old price drop, dunno if that is affecting what I'm seeing.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

They just cancelled my account after 7 months, I am going to try to fight it though cause I definitely didn't violate anything.

Probably cancelled because even with paying for early activation and a physical card, I was ahead $50.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Is it still 3 movies a month for 9.99 I don't even know what plan I have lol. Bought 3 avengers tickets for my friends so am I done for the month haha.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most shocking thing about that is that they still have 225,000 subscribers. Not that you can really trust any numbers that they put out.

Those are probably people unable to cancel lol (remember that?)

Also, thanks to Moviepass, AMC A-List is a thing and I've been using A-List since release day.

There's an interesting article that I recently read about the founder of Moviepass. I'll link it when I find it. (Basically it makes you feel bad about the guy and the people at the helm at Moviepass are to blame for it's downfall) also, his new service Preshow seems like a more viable solution than the current state of Moviepass.

Edit: Here's the Article

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Those are probably people unable to cancel lol (remember that?)

Also, thanks to Moviepass, AMC A-List is a thing and I've been using A-List since release day.

There's an interesting article that I recently read about the founder of Moviepass. I'll link it when I find it. (Basically it makes you feel bad about the guy and the people at the helm at Moviepass are to blame for it's downfall) also, his new service Preshow seems like a more viable solution than the current state of Moviepass.

Edit: Here's the Article

I initially read this as "his new service Peeshow seems like a more viable solution than the current state of Moviepass." And even if that were the name/venture, it would probably still ring true.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not even sure how much their current plan is or what their movie restrictions are, but for those who are willing to jump through hoops to see a movie using the service (and only use it like once a month), why not just jump through hoops and go to the theater on Tuesday or whatever when movies are cheaper (5-6 bucks?) Unless that's not a thing everywhere.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sinemia is dead. They shuttered services effective immediately. Does anyone know where the class action lawsuit sign-up is?

God damnit I wish I lived close enough to an AMC for that to be worth it.

Last edited:

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, Sinemia fucked me over too. Paid $80 for the full year of their services and saw one movie with it. Anyway to just dispute the charge made on my credit card for this?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Damn, it's wild that MoviePass is still around, but Sinemia shut down. Their business model seemed much more sustainable, and I hadn't sensed anything that suggested they were close to folding (but then again, I'm not one of their members).