• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I've just received a message from them about "Bonus" movies that don't count toward the monthly limit. Is this a new thing or did I miss it? Only a super limited movie covered by it I think right now, but maybe future promo movies will be viewable.

They have some kind of deal with them where they're co producing or something and they've invested in those movies. I think their stock surged to like a whopping 2 cents when they announced it.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't really watched anything in a minute but they're still doing the limited screenings PLUS reducing it to 3 movies a month? I'm trying to catch Searching but didn't see it playing anywhere....then I looked at Fandango and its at a few theaters.... ugh I should probably just switch to AMC's Pass... I work so close to one

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend went to see Crazy Rich Asians but it wasn't supported by Moviepass, so she checked into another movie and then bought a ticket for CRA. I know it's against the Moviepass TOS so how likely it would be that she'll be caught by the Moviepass police and have her account revoked???

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The company just got an influx of $63 million, I wonder if they'll change the service again now that they can afford to live a little longer.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/04/moviepass-parent-just-raised-a-bunch-of-money/

My girlfriend went to see Crazy Rich Asians but it wasn't supported by Moviepass, so she checked into another movie and then bought a ticket for CRA. I know it's against the Moviepass TOS so how likely it would be that she'll be caught by the Moviepass police and have her account revoked???
They don't revoke your account for that, they charge a fine of $25 per incident. It would be really easy for them to catch that kind of thing if they had the resources, but they really don't.

Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled end of August/beginning of September and I received an email stating I would be renewed on the returning unlimited movie plan. I did not receive the follow up "correction" that it would only be 3 a month. I opened my movie pass app and it says I am still cancelled and I have no way to opt out of the upcoming auto renewal. Fuck movie pass.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
MoviePass is such a shill product.

Hey now you can see "bonus" movies without it counting towards your monthly limit .

Bonus movies = movies funded by moviepass

Fuuuuuu*k you

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I just bought a year of Sinemia. 1 regular ass movie a month wherever whenever with reservations for 2 people at 10 bucks. I don't need this rollercoaster of rules. Bai moviepass.

Nov 27, 2017
The movie selection this week is pretty bad. I've generally been sticking to the normal service, but I might try checking into something else to see A Star is Born or Venom this weekend. I don't think I'm sticking with it past this next month anyway.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How could they catch it without stub verification?

They literally can't.

It's very easy to check-in for whatever is available and then buy a ticket for what film you actually want to see.

The only problem is the selection is so paltry and limited that you may very well have no options even when 'cheating.'

It really is a joke of a service at this point.

The notion that everyday is a craps-shoot and you never know what - if anything - will be available makes this service practically worthless unless you opt to go around their bullshit rules.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness for e-ticketing. I saw Bad Times at the El Royale and First Man this weekend. I'm tapped out until my next cycle starts in a few days, just in time for Halloween.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If not for the one theater by me that has e-ticketing, Moviepass would really be worthless now. Man the movielist is so low its absurd.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
New York AG launches probe into MoviePass parent company for allegedly misleading investors

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood has opened a probe into MoviePass parent company Helios and Matheson, a person familiar with the matter told CNBC.

The attorney general's office is investigating whether the company misled the investment community regarding the company's financials, said the person. The investigation is in the early stages.

The attorney general is using the Martin Act, a statute designed to protect New York investors and the integrity of the financial markets from fraud.

"We are aware of the New York Attorney General's inquiry and are fully cooperating," Helios and Matheson said in a statement to CNBC. "We believe our public disclosures have been complete, timely and truthful and we have not misled investors. We look forward to the opportunity to demonstrate that to the New York Attorney General."

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason not to get Sinemia actually? I know there's an initial registration fee but it's 3 movies without schedule bullshit.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Is there any reason not to get Sinemia actually? I know there's an initial registration fee but it's 3 movies without schedule bullshit.
I signed up for SiNEMiA a while back and finally tried using it for the first time. The process for getting a ticket isn't nearly as intuitive as it was for MoviePass. It was actually irritating me to the point that I ended up just leaving without using it. I emailed customer support to see about getting a card so I wouldn't have to deal with that anymore. They claim that SiNEMiA is completely cardless now, but you'll soon be able to request a card in the app. I asked what they meant by "soon" and had my email returned as undeliverable, since the mailbox was full. (The email had even previously stated to respond directly to the email to re-open the ticket.) Not impressed so far. Who thought this process for buying tickets was okay or convenient?

Nov 27, 2017
MoviePass screwed me over yesterday. I got a eTicket early in the day, but when I got to the theater, there was an error message and I couldn't pull up my code. The movie was at 4 and reddit is saying there was some kind of outage from like 3:30-4:15. Perfect timing. I ended up just buying a ticket. :/

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
MoviePass screwed me over yesterday. I got a eTicket early in the day, but when I got to the theater, there was an error message and I couldn't pull up my code. The movie was at 4 and reddit is saying there was some kind of outage from like 3:30-4:15. Perfect timing. I ended up just buying a ticket. :/

I cancelled months ago when they ran out of money during Mission Impossible launch, but just checked reddit and it seems like they've lost a third of their e-Ticket partner theaters today. Welp... Shit must be well and truly fucked if it's come to this.

They removed 71 of the 216 theaters, so now only 144 e-Ticket theaters left. Might wanna check if your theater got removed.

[Megathread] List of Theaters Removed From e-Ticketing Support

Nov 27, 2017
I cancelled months ago when they ran out of money during Mission Impossible launch, but just checked reddit and it seems like they've lost a third of their e-Ticket partner theaters today. Welp... Shit must be well and truly fucked if it's come to this.

They removed 71 of the 216 theaters, so now only 144 e-Ticket theaters left. Might wanna check if your theater got removed.

[Megathread] List of Theaters Removed From e-Ticketing Support

Oh interesting. No, mine are still supported. Reddit did note that other users had an outage at the same time, so I think it was more a technical thing than the theaters getting removed.

I opted for the yearly subscription when they first offered it, and I didn't go for the reimbursement because these e-Ticket theaters still exist in my area. But the year us up next month anyway, so that's when I'll finally be leaving.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up just signing up for Sinemia, because of how terrible Movie pass has been. I haven't used it in months. It paid for itself in full over the year (I bought the pass for a year at Costco). But it still sucks.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I know a lot of people are still feeling let down by MoviePass, all I gotta say is you'd love AMC A-List if you have AMC theaters as an option in your area. Been loving it for months.

I'm just worried that with the decline of MoviePass that AMC is going to start degrading the value or phase it out alltogether.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I know a lot of people are still feeling let down by MoviePass, all I gotta say is you'd love AMC A-List if you have AMC theaters as an option in your area. Been loving it for months.

I'm just worried that with the decline of MoviePass that AMC is going to start degrading the value or phase it out alltogether.
They are probably taking a long look at the return on investment on it since they have access to all the data. If it starts being unprofitable, they will downgrade it or kill it outright. But I think the genie is out of the bottle.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

AMC could be making bucketloads from concessions from A-Listers for all we know. Or A-Listers are just taking up seats and are barely buying any concessions at all. Whether A-List survives in its current form depends solely on that concessions data that only AMC will ever see (with free concession upgrades being including with the card, tracking the data must be exceptionally easy). MoviePass was never going to get a cut of that concession pie.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Been off of movie pass for months and using Amc a list. It was great a few months ago. Stopped since we had our daughter. I went to the movies a lot and spent more money dining at the theater, they would be dumb to mess that up. I would just stop going to the movies.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, but how do people without e-ticketing manage to use MoviePass?

Looking at the current list of available movies, there's a lack of Halloween, The Hate U Give, Goosebumps 2, First Man, and other recent wide releases. It's mostly smaller indies, which is great if you live in a city that has them, but stinks if you don't. Not that I'm interested in Hunter Killer, but it's opening on 2700 screens this weekend yet absent from the MP viewing calendar.

Putting aside business deals with different studios and such, is there any rationale for these restrictions other than making it harder for people to see movies? I don't imagine how anyone could bother with MoviePass if they didn't have e-ticketing. In my case the nearby AMC has The Sisters Brothers, but that movie isn't anywhere on the schedule (I don't have the urge to buy a ticket for one movie and walk into the other).

Without e-ticketing I'd have canceled once these restrictions took place. Now that MP dropped or lost some of their e-ticketing partners, it just seems like the service is an even riskier proposition since there's little guarantee you'll get to see what you want, especially if you're not in a market that gets smaller/indie releases. I get having the viewing schedule before the 3-movies-per-month limit started, but now it seems unnecessary and way too restrictive.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
They've also reduced the amount of e-ticketing theaters greatly. Canceled it cause of that.

Edit: you mentioned that too, my bad.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
My Drafthouse tends to have at least one movie available whenever I want a ticket. And since they don't do ticket verification anymore...

Also, that list isn't definitive. Drafthouse is showing El Royale as available tonight, for example.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My Drafthouse tends to have at least one movie available whenever I want a ticket. And since they don't do ticket verification anymore...

Also, that list isn't definitive. Drafthouse is showing El Royale as available tonight, for example.

Yeah I mean if they have it check-in to movie I want, if they don't... check in to whatever is available and buy ticket for what I wanna see.

If they ban me, eh it sucks, but not like aren't other options

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, but how do people without e-ticketing manage to use MoviePass?

Looking at the current list of available movies, there's a lack of Halloween, The Hate U Give, Goosebumps 2, First Man, and other recent wide releases. It's mostly smaller indies, which is great if you live in a city that has them, but stinks if you don't. Not that I'm interested in Hunter Killer, but it's opening on 2700 screens this weekend yet absent from the MP viewing calendar.

Putting aside business deals with different studios and such, is there any rationale for these restrictions other than making it harder for people to see movies? I don't imagine how anyone could bother with MoviePass if they didn't have e-ticketing. In my case the nearby AMC has The Sisters Brothers, but that movie isn't anywhere on the schedule (I don't have the urge to buy a ticket for one movie and walk into the other).

Without e-ticketing I'd have canceled once these restrictions took place. Now that MP dropped or lost some of their e-ticketing partners, it just seems like the service is an even riskier proposition since there's little guarantee you'll get to see what you want, especially if you're not in a market that gets smaller/indie releases. I get having the viewing schedule before the 3-movies-per-month limit started, but now it seems unnecessary and way too restrictive.

I just check in for whatever and buy a ticket for what I want to see. Usually my theater has at least one of the movies playing, though the list you posted is pretty outrageously sparse. I'm sure eventually I'll get hit with being unable to see what I want to with no movies at all to choose from.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
I just check in for whatever and buy a ticket for what I want to see. Usually my theater has at least one of the movies playing, though the list you posted is pretty outrageously sparse. I'm sure eventually I'll get hit with being unable to see what I want to with no movies at all to choose from.
Yea that's the current case for me - "there are no more screenings at this theater." But, London Fields is playing at this theater this weekend and that movie is on the list. If I wanted to do the old check in for one movie and see another switcharoo, it'd be tricky since the only showtime for The Sisters Brothers is 50 minutes apart from London Fields.

Oct 28, 2017
Yea that's the current case for me - "there are no more screenings at this theater." But, London Fields is playing at this theater this weekend and that movie is on the list. If I wanted to do the old check in for one movie and see another switcharoo, it'd be tricky since the only showtime for The Sisters Brothers is 50 minutes apart from London Fields.

I live near my main MoviePass theater so I just go there early in the day if that's gonna happen. Sucks if you're not able to though for sure.