• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

Sony Pictures partnered with Cinemark Theatres for an opening night showing of Jumanji: The Next Level and The Game Awards 2019.

Attendees paid $20/ticket for the double feature which included discounted concessions, a light-up LED wristband, a Bingo contest with prizes and most importantly... EVERY attendee at every theatre received a Google Stadia Premiere Bundle which includes:

A Chromecast Ultra (valued at $70)
A Stadia Controller (valued at $69)
and 3 months of Stadia Pro service (valued at $30)

free-stadia-premiere-edition.jpg

All ticketed attendees received a paper cutout of the Stadia Controller with orange trims that featured an "S" beacon pin, and above it: You're here tonight because you love games, so…

Turning it over reveals a code to redeem a free Premiere Edition from the Google Store. The $129 kits packs a Clearly White Stadia Controller, Chromecast Ultra, and three-months of Stadia Pro that currently comes with four free games.

In a survey sent to attendees, it appears that Sony may be considering partnering with Cinemark again, pairing the live-action Uncharted movie, scheduled for a December 2020 release with The 2020 Game Awards.

More at the link.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
OK....

I have two takeaways from this. The first having to pay $130 for the Founder's Edition, kinda rubs me the wrong way. Secondary, the fact that they're giving them away feels like desperation. That's not a good sign this early on, not that Stadia has been doing well to start in the first place.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
lets be honest, they got a free chromecast and some stuff that'll be useless in a year or 2 knowing how much google support their stuff

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
OK....

I have two takeaways from this. The first having to pay $130 for the Founder's Edition, kinda rubs me the wrong way. Secondary, the fact that they're giving them away feels like desperation. That's not a good sign this early on, not that Stadia has been doing well to start in the first place.

And that's about all there is to say. I was gonna say the exact same.

Mar 23, 2018
That's so cool! Watching something like a game's conference at a cinema sounds so cool, too... well, a $20 price tag isn't that cool, but with those "gifts" it should certainly taste much better.

Mar 23, 2018
OK....

The people going to watch the game awards at the theatre are going to be hardcore gamers, so I understand Google wanting to give them free stadia access. These are the people that will tell all their friends about new games and spread the news on stadia for google if they end up liking it. I think you're only seeing it as a desperate move in conjunction with all other Stadia news. If the Stadia was doing fine this would just be seen as standard promotion which all these big companies do.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's like going to the dentist and getting plain oatmeal as your reward.
Ehh… I expected the Stadia hatred from the thread, but I paid the price of an opening night Jumanji ticket and basically got a $70 Chromecast Ultra for $5. If Amazon price errored the Chromecast Ultra for $5, people would be losing their shit.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but is it worth sitting through the whole show?

(I know Keighley and the others involved work very hard and what they've accomplished in so little time is amazing, but it's so fucking boring!)

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This seems pretty desperate. Nothing was announced for Stadia at the game awards and there's a lot of ambiguity if previously announced versions of games for Stadia will even release (Doom Eternal for example). The ads during the breaks were also the old ads from launch and one from a week ago which haven't been positively received. Borderlands 3 was delayed from November to December, and now it's December without a release date for BL3, other than "nothing to share".

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh… I expected the Stadia hatred from the thread, but I paid the price of an opening night Jumanji ticket and basically got a $70 Chromecast Ultra for $5. If Amazon price errored the Chromecast Ultra for $5, people would be losing their shit.
Eh more indifferent to Stadia then anything. Frankly I'm glad people got something considering how bad the awards themselves were.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Everyone got a Bingo card, first three to get Bingo won a prize. None of the prizes cost more than the Stadia bundle that everyone in attendance got for free, though.

That's really cool. I assume it was mostly about award winners and not "BOTW2 Trailer", "New Xbox Reveal" as Sony was a partner?

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
That's really cool. I assume it was mostly about award winners and not "BOTW2 Trailer", "New Xbox Reveal" as Sony was a partner?
From what I can remember, some of the squares were:

"Ninja appears on camera"
"A winner thanks their fans"
"An audience member is on their phone"
"A Sony studio wins an award"
"A Nintendo exclusive wins an award"
"Geoff has a wardrobe change", etc.

PKMNTrainer

Oct 25, 2017
I had a blast at our theater. Jumanji was fun and I enjoyed the show for the most part, even though sometimes for the cringe factor. Not very many of us, and my group of 3 all won the door prizes which included a steelseries headset, snowball mic, and yeti canister.
In fact, I've been really impressed with Stadia so far (haven't gotten my package yet, but did get my invite code to play in Chrome). My wife isn't sure what to do with hers though.. 😂

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would find it as a relatively nice gift if the games weren't walled into its own ecosystem. Even with free hardware, I wouldn't even be tempted to spend the time or money on a Stadia-only game.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can remember, some of the squares were:

"Ninja appears on camera"
"A winner thanks their fans"
"An audience member is on their phone"
"A Sony studio wins an award"
"A Nintendo exclusive wins an award"
"Geoff has a wardrobe change", etc.

Nice! Sounds like the whole thing was pretty cool

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
It's a little weird that people who preordered the Stadia Founder's Edition weren't guaranteed to get one, but the people attending this can get one for $20.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Wow, I even entertained the idea of going because it was playing at our local theater. However, I knew my girlfriend would not be down for that and it would have been super nerd sweaty up in there, so I didn't bother. I wanted to try the Stadia too. Oh well lol

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little weird that people who preordered the Stadia Founder's Edition weren't guaranteed to get one, but the people attending this can get one for $20.

Everyone who ordered the Founder's Edition got theirs weeks ago.

Some of the takes in this thread are wild. Have absolutely no idea how some have managed to spin it as a negative.