• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 4, 2018
Even though the domestic box office remains in a funk due to the pandemic, moviegoers' confidence has hit a record high near 50%, according to recent data by NRG. The recent upbeat attitude to return to the cinema outpaced poll results from the fall, which was the last time confidence was at a notable level during Covid.

Prior to the September-November period, the last time the confidence level of moviegoers was "very or somewhat comfortable" with being in theaters was on March 15-16, right before major exhibition closed down due to Covid-19 safety guidelines.

Here's the breakdown of statistics:

NRG reports that the comfort to return to the cinema is highest among teens (60%) and males under 25 (62%), with women over 25 being the least comfortable to go back to the movies (40%). Males over 25 have a confidence level of 49% with females under 25 at 50%. Overall, 82% of moviegoers say they expect to be "very or somewhat comfortable" once the vaccine is broadly available. That's the highest number NRG has seen in that measure to date. Even after the vaccine is widely accessible, moviegoers do still want safety measures in place (i.e. masking, distancing, etc).

Once the vaccine is in full effect, all demos jump in confidence regarding their anticipation to return to the cinema with males under 25 (83%), males over 25 (84%), females under 25 (85%) and females over 25 (77%). There also continues to be a political divide with conservatives being more comfortable returning than liberals per the analytics corp.

During the week of Feb. 8, 53% of NRG respondents said that they feel movie theaters are "very or somewhat safe", which is also the highest perception the org has seen since mid-November, a point ahead of indoor dining (52%) and six points above attending an indoor religious service (47%).

Another encouraging sign for major studios and exhibitors: 60% of those polled said they expect to next see a movie in theaters within the next three months, which is the highest level that the figure has been since mid-November; dipping as low at 51% as recently as Jan. 25. As more movies hit the marquee in the coming weeks, i.e. Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon, Tom & Jerry and Godzilla vs. Kong, polling numbers are expected to improve.

NRG has been polling frequent moviegoers over three times a week since the Covid crisis began. A frequent moviegoer is defined as a person who attends once a month.

Source:https://deadline.com/2021/02/box-office-moviegoing-covid-pandemic-nrg-report-1234697510/

Really this is unsurprising to me given the decent vaccination levels in the US so far and with the Pfizer news of doubling number of doses shipped from earlier today imagine confidence from the public is even higher now.

I've been back to see a few movies here in NZ, but look forward to more blockbusters getting released sometime later this year.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still have no idea when I can get vaccinated. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
I still have no idea when I can get vaccinated. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
Don't have an exact timetable for you. That said a decent amount of the US population should have at least one dose by May between Moderna and Pfizer (who if you see the tweeet below has increased the amount of vaccines they plan to distribute) also the J&J single shot vaccine hopefully will be approved soon.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
When I get a vaccine and everyone in my bubble also has a vaccine, I'll go with a mask. I miss the theater.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Exactly. That's all I need
e5ccce157f54d0da6ca6a64c4e95cca0.gif

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Give me the vaccine and I'll be back in there in a month. I'm still just sitting here waiting for the state to apparently vaccinate like one person per day with how long we've been on 65+ without any news on when anyone else gets it.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Please...please, get the vaccines rolled out, get the procedures in place, let me go back to the movies...I need it.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I feel those figures are inflated by people who actually believe Fast 9 and Black Widow are coming out within the next three months. I'll believe that when I see it. Both movies are gonna be delayed for sure.

Can't wait to get back to the movies though when it's safer to do so. Really miss it.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I went 3 times last year after our first lockdown, during a 2-week period when my state had < 200 cases a day. Fewer than 30 people in the theaters during those showings, combined. Once I was the only person, and each time it was the first showing of the day. I think there are safer and less safe ways to do it, for sure.

At this point though I'd want to wait to get the vaccine to go back to a theater, for certain.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If NYC and LA allow theaters to open up I think things will start picking up faster than people think. The demand is definitely there. It feels like half the population stopped caring before the vaccines were even out.

That said, there's no way I'm going to the the movies until I'm vaccinated. Sitting in a crowd for hours would probably freak me out until I do. Really trying not to blow it in the last quarter over a popcorn flick after waiting this long.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Well, yeah, theatres may be poorly managed, but people love them. Still a market for them.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
bUt CiNeMaS aRe DeAd, StReAmInG iS tHe fUtUrE

it was always a totally stupid idea that people not going out of their houses for months on end would lead them to not have the desire to go out in the future. Really just bullshit talking point from people that think they've figured out the future of movies.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Going to a midnight release? Hell naw.
Going on a Monday afternoon? Absolutely. Got my first shot already and eager to get the second next month.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
After I get 2 doses of vaccine however many months out that is, if my friends/dates are also vaccinated I'd have no issue going to the theaters with a mask. Would be nice to see something with friends again, sure.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
After I'm fully vaccinated you better fucking believe I'll go back to the theater for the first opening night I'm interested in. Doubt that'll be before the end of the summer at the earliest though.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Once my friends and I are vaccinated we're going to see every anime movie that releases, I don't care if its garbage

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
pre quarantine I was really only going to the theatre a few times a year tops. I don't think the pandemic will have reversed that trend downward. I know some of you social kids will be all for it though :)

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
bUt CiNeMaS aRe DeAd, StReAmInG iS tHe fUtUrE

it was always a totally stupid idea that people not going out of their houses for months on end would lead them to not have the desire to go out in the future. Really just bullshit talking point from people that think they've figured out the future of movies.

Also a massively stupid idea when people don't take into consideration that blockbuster movies such as superhero movies, Star Wars or LOTR movies will not be profitable by only releasing on streaming.

If movies are only released on streaming in the future the studios will have to vastly reduce the budgets. That means we will never get stuf like Indiana Jones, The Matrix etc again.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My mom is desperate for theaters to open again here, but she also thinks that all of the COVID-19 deaths were just people who were murdered by hospitals for profit.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I have been a handful of time since the pandemic. Honestly the safest place I could be considering there was never more than 1 other person in the theater. (I live alone). I can't wait for the day to see some blockbuster or horror film on opening night and being with a crowd of people again. Era seems to dislike movie theaters but to me they are something special. I got to see Cap America Civil War at the Chinese Theater in LA and it was an incredible experience. I won't forget seeing Endgame in theaters when Cap got Mjolnir, and Portals. I won't forget seeing Paranormal Activity with a bunch of freaked out people.