• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I didn't have a lot of luck on this with google. Been watching a lot of TV with my teenage daughter (she's 15). I find rating systems fail for older teens. There's a lot of hazy land between PG-13 and TV-MA/R. I used to use Common Sense Media. Not that I particularly like their rating scaling, but for the general info on what kind of content a show has in it.

I find for that 13-16 age range I found I really need some specific info on the show. Like, some boobs aren't going to hurt her, but extremely graphic sex is out (she's on the spectrum and hates seeing people even kiss, ha...she and I will put up with *some* content as long as it isn't too graphic).

We just finished most of X-files last year, and Angel/Buffy finished up last week...and we're doing a rewatch of Babylon 5, but could use a show to go with it.

Like normally I would hit Common Sense media to consider, say, Raised by Wolves, and get an idea how graphic the violence / sex / and other content is, since it seems kinda borderline.

Looks like for 2021 they've gone to a paywall system. Looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The parents guide on IMDb is generally pretty good at listing the sex/language/violence in any given title.

OP
OP
GreenMonkey

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The parents guide on IMDb is generally pretty good at listing the sex/language/violence in any given title.
Seems to fit the bill, thanks! Didn't know they had anything like that.

Any sites with recommendation engines or something might be cool, too.

We went through a LOT more TV in 2020 than most years, given the state of the world and all. And we play it pretty safe here.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
ERA is pretty good at recommending shows if you want to pose the question in one of the TV threads! 😁

zou

Oct 29, 2017
This site might help you OP. Gives you a good breakdown of the content of each film including the severity

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/homepage
qXe66AL.jpg

good job reading the OP.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Parents Guide in IMDB is awesome. They list all sexual and violent scenes without going into too much spoilers so you'd know what to expect. Then there is this Christian movie review site. I checked one of their reviews, here you go:

www.movieguide.org

ANTICHRIST Review

Neurologist Richard Restak says clearly, “The more bizarre the visual image, the more likely we are to see and remember it.” ANTICHRIST is extremely

Movie Guide: If the world had standards, this movie would be Triple X and banned. As it is, we are issuing our strongest warning not to see it, and to complain to the MPAA for allowing a movie like this to come to theaters near you.
Also Movie Guide: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Then there is this Christian movie review site. I checked one of their reviews, here you go:

www.movieguide.org

ANTICHRIST Review

Neurologist Richard Restak says clearly, “The more bizarre the visual image, the more likely we are to see and remember it.” ANTICHRIST is extremely

Movie Guide: If the world had standards, this movie would be Triple X and banned. As it is, we are issuing our strongest warning not to see it, and to complain to the MPAA for allowing a movie like this to come to theaters near you.
Also Movie Guide: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
lol... for shits and giggles, I checked Donnie Darko on that site.

They had a whole laundry list of issues with it, but weirdly they didn't have anything to say about the pedophilia subplot...