• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
FoolishEminentAmericancicada-size_restricted.gif

My first devastating ending. I think I blocked it out of my mind after.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

It's probably 70% just the Michel Legrand score, but the ending to Les parapluies de Cherbourg is just gutting to me. You've got these two characters who have spent the whole film desperately in love with each other and, in the last moment, you flash forward and they suddenly don't mean a thing to each other. He's the father of this kid and he can't even stand to see them. Just a cold, gutting, icy ending to a wonderful musical.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Did we watch the same film?

The polar bear present at the end of the film pretty directly implies that not only is life outside their "system" (the train) possible - but it also implies that it's FAR easier than the fear mongering propaganda of the conductor leads them to believe.

I took it to mean that there are other ways of life outside of the false security our current system offers. Parasite in contrast just shows the sympathetic leads getting sucked back into the economic hierarchy they once wished to rise above.

The ending of Snowpiercer was a bit confusing to me.

By showing the polar bear, it's a sign of hope for survival. My question is the practicality of it all. Are they suggesting that there are other humans alive outside of the train, or just other animals? Also, didn't everyone die on the train but the two survivors who left it? It gives you a glimmer of hope, but the survival of the human race still seems extremely fragile based on what we see.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk if devastating is the right word but as a jew I deeply connected with the endings of Uncut Gems and A Serious Man ending. Idk if it comes off the same to non jews but those movies endings are deeply, deeply jewish meditations on life

a-serious-man-ending.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Always thought the ending of The Mist was funny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Carol from The Walking Dead riding by on the truck with the "You done fucked up" look on her face

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017

It's probably 70% just the Michel Legrand score, but the ending to Les parapluies de Cherbourg is just gutting to me. You've got these two characters who have spent the whole film desperately in love with each other and, in the last moment, you flash forward and they suddenly don't mean a thing to each other. He's the father of this kid and he can't even stand to see them. Just a cold, gutting, icy ending to a wonderful musical.

I'd been searching each page to make sure that this movie hadn't been posted yet, beat me to it. I understand why La La Land got posted first but as great as that ending is (made me mad how little I liked the rest of the movie, honestly) Cherbourg has it beat handily.

The other movie I was searching for that I'm shocked hasn't come up is In the Mood for Love. That movie absolutely destroys me emotionally in the best possible way.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
El Orphanto/The Orphanage ruined me. Something about preventable tragedy that feels like a knife in the guts. I'm talking about discovery of what happened to the son, not the other stuff.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I made a thread about it a few weeks ago, but Grave of the Fireflies.

Well, the entire movie is devastating, but the end just puts a tearful bow on it.

It's even worse than most of the examples here as the movie is based on real events, with the most notable exception being that in real life the older kid survived, blamed himself for his sister's death for the rest of his life, and went on to write the short story the movie is based on.

This was a pretty traumatizing one for me back then. The whole movie is rather horrifying but I guess what makes it worse is the contents of the box not being actually shown, leaving the mental picture up to your imagination which is almost always worse.

Jan 10, 2018
The ending of Vanilla Sky is one of the most emotional experiences I've had. The revelation (read below) is both beautiful and soul-crushing. It's also the best use of a Sigur Ros song in a movie that I've heard. When the volume is turned up and all the random footage goes by I can never hold back my tears.

The protagonist discovers that due to a profound tragedy in his life he decided to be put in cryo sleep. Half of the movie is then spent in his dream state where his subconscious is fighting against him - eventually forcing him to make a decision to wake up. The issues is that so many years have passed since he was put to sleep that everyone that he loves has passed away, including the love of his life. His old life is basically erased and he is now completely alone.

2a236d7c6e95c324f6cc8ef1e763f4c9.gif

Eagledare

Oct 30, 2017
I don't usually get emotional over fictional media but The Road made me sob when I read the book. Once the movie was out I thought to myself 'yeah, no way it'll get to me like the novel did'. Still fucking sobbed.

Something about the man stewarding the kid across this nightmare world and finally delivering him to something like a normal family before dying is just.. Hoo boy. Really gets to me.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of Vanilla Sky is one of the most emotional experiences I've had. The revelation (read below) is both beautiful and soul-crushing. It's also the best use of a Sigur Ros song in a movie that I've heard. When the volume is turned up and all the random footage goes by I can never hold back my tears.

The protagonist discovers that due to a profound tragedy in his life he decided to be put in cryo sleep. Half of the movie is then spent in his dream state where his subconscious is fighting against him - eventually forcing him to make a decision to wake up. The issues is that so many years have passed since he was put to sleep that everyone that he loves has passed away, including the love of his life. His old life is basically erased and he is now completely alone.

Glad to see this movie getting some love. I feel like it was unfairly hated on at release.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
The Tale of Princess Kaguya. It's weird because I felt stone cold when I watched the other Takahata movie, Grave of the Fireflies, but with this one I could feel the wave of depression coming.
Was gonna post this. Really made me meditate on death in a way I wasn't expecting.

Wit is also an emotionally brutal movie about a woman who has cancer and lets her doctor use experimental drugs on her. Shows you how truly destructive cancer is.

Remains of the Day too, probably Anthony Hopkins' most heart-breaking performance.

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Poor David wanted to become a real boy so he could be a real son to his mother. When he wakes up, not only his mother and his family is long gone, the entire human race is gone.
But he gets to see his mom again... for only 24 hours and after that she dies right next to him holding his hand.

Also The Bicentennial Man. Andrew living long enough to see everyone he considers Family get older and die and his lifelong wish to be accepted as human comes true in the moment of his death.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great movie but the spanish original (which penelope cruz is also in) hit the note better imo

Oct 27, 2017
A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Agreed. This movie hit me hard and how most audiences responded to it on its initial release made it even more frustrating.

Yes, the ending, as presented from David's perspective, is sweet, but the realities are depressingly grim. David's mother is gone, the rest of his family that may or may never have really loved him is gone, humanity as a whole is gone, the artificial beings that helped David are gone, climate change won because humanity was too busy making scapegoats out of automation, and it's all so bad that the robots of the distant future help/enable David to put himself out of his insatiable longing. The last line from the narrator hammers it home: "Should he [David] shake her [his mother], she would never rouse. So David went to sleep too. And for the first time in his life, he went to that place... where dreams are born." So many people would have preferred that the movie ended with David at the bottom of the ocean with the Blue Fairy because they thought the real ending "too Spielberg," but these people couldn't see anything outside of the film's perspective of an artificial child. If you think about this movie a little bit it and it's ending are very Kubrick.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

didn't lala land take from this?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually get emotional over fictional media but The Road made me sob when I read the book. Once the movie was out I thought to myself 'yeah, no way it'll get to me like the novel did'. Still fucking sobbed.

Something about the man stewarding the kid across this nightmare world and finally delivering him to something like a normal family before dying is just.. Hoo boy. Really gets to me.
I don't think I'll ever read it again after losing my dad last year, but I'm with you. Never saw the movie but I cried my eyes out at the end of the book.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
In my imagination, Episode III of Star Wars is pretty devastating. Obviously, Lucas and crew didn't pull this level of emotion off, but just thinking about Obi-Wan at the end - he just took out his best friend. His entire order, way of life, and even nation state is gone. Sure, there is this "new hope" with the twins, but Obi is now going to live in the wastes of Tatooine, spending the rest of his life watching over Luke as he grows up. Everything he knows/care about is gone, including his own future.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Mystic River - just a bunch of terrible things culminating and even being approved of

Man, this is the first movie I thought of actually. There's so many movies I love that have devastating ends but this one really fucks with me. The shot of the kid who's devastated over his dads death during the parade and his idiot mother running along side him always gets me.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it was a remake. I'll definitely check the original out!
yeah cruz literally plays the same part! The crow version is good and probably better for americans but I saw it while living in spain so it hit differently (the gran vía emptiness v time square emptiness) the escape also is a big different

abre los ojos is the movie

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
El Orphanto/The Orphanage ruined me. Something about preventable tragedy that feels like a knife in the guts. I'm talking about discovery of what happened to the son, not the other stuff.
Yeah I knew I forgot something. I was so upset that my wife felt bad for wanting me to watch it. She had seen it before

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I will never watch Grave of the Fireflies again and it's not because it's a bad movie. It took me weeks to recover from that ending.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Some good shouts in here. I'll add a few I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Make Way for Tomorrow (Leo McCarey, 1937). A classic, which inspired another great film, Tokyo Story.
Wendy and Lucy (Kelly Reichardt, 2008)
Burning (Lee Chang-dong, 2018)
Seconds (John Frankenheimer, 1966)
Kes (Ken Loach, 1969)
The Elephant Man (David Lynch,1980)
Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
Cold War (Pawel Pawilowski, 2018)
Stroszek (Werner Herzog, 1977)
Brief Encounter (David Lean, 1945)

Irrespective if it qualifies as a movie, the ending of Twin Peaks: The Return effected me for weeks. So deeply, chillingly unsettling.

Yeah, that final shot of the girl looking over the balcony, so powerful. Kore-eda films in general are quietly devastating: Nobody Knows (that pink suitcase), Maborosi, Still Walking, Like Father, Like Son. He imbues a very strong feeling of melancholy and the bittersweet into his humanist stories, and his films hit you hard without being overly dramatic about it.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I find it devastating that people liked the original Oldboy ending. It's the only thing the Spike Lee remake did it better.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Re9c69bcb72cbf01954a8f48db0178182

Whole movie felt too familiar. I remember staying up all night watching movies and this one was last. Sun was coming up by the time it ended and I was damn near in a full sob. My brother watched too and his eyes were watering lol.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Yeah I knew I forgot something. I was so upset that my wife felt bad for wanting me to watch it. She had seen it before

It's a magnificent film that I want to watch again, but I'm scared of the emotional bludgeoning I will receive. There's another film on the tip of my brain with a similar revelation that was so upsetting I've blocked it altogether.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Miracle Mile. It starts off like a cheesy date movie that seems to be going nowhere and then this scene happens.

What happens for the rest of the movie is equal parts surreal and exhilirating. The ending was inevitable though and ends in such a dour note. 6 year old me encountered this movie on a sunday afternoon after church one day on network television and basically traumatized me.

I watched the movie after getting hooked by seeing this scene. It's one Tubi for free if anyone else hasn't seen it. I would highly recommend.

Overall, an excellent film with an amazing ending. They seemed to be pushing towards the charterers escaping, with the main character finding the building with a helipad by pure luck under the sewer and the helicopter pilot returning. But they give you a glimmer of hope, making the deaths even more devastating. I also think a film where the nuclear attack doesn't happen, but many die in the panic of believing it will is still a great one with a strong ending. The film keeps you guessing and is highly unpredictable, but amazing.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the movie after getting hooked by seeing this scene. It's one Tubi for free if anyone else hasn't seen it. I would highly recommend.

Overall, an excellent film with an amazing ending. They seemed to be pushing towards the charterers escaping, with the main character finding the building with a helipad by pure luck under the sewer and the helicopter pilot returning. But they give you a glimmer of hope, making the deaths even more devastating. I also think a film where the nuclear attack doesn't happen, but many die in the panic of believing it will is still a great one with a strong ending. The film keeps you guessing and is highly unpredictable, but amazing.

Miracle Mile is great, but the optimal way to watch it is with no knowledge about it whatsoever. Anyone interested in it should avoid spoilers and youtube clips completely.