• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Sat in the theater silently sobbing through the end of the credits of Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Ugh what a punch

Oct 27, 2017
The way those guys just
keep on borrowing eggs (or whatever it was).
Damn.

I guess like the implications felt incredibly bleak to me. I wouldn't know how else to interpret the scene.
What do you mean specifically though? I'm still a bit confused about what you found bleak about the "implications" (particularly in regards to the ending of course, not the general awfulness of the plot itself.)

I always found it like
whatever she said about the afterlife sounded awesome enough that the old lady was like fuck it omw

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
14c7a5520aefbe5af00169bc1a231a5bd4019dc0.jpg
He just wants his kid back.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Akira -- not necessarily good or bad, but it captures the feeling of coming outside of your house after a hurricane.

del Toro's more "serious" films like Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, Shape of Water do have a nice bitter-sweetness

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What do you mean specifically though? I'm still a bit confused about what you found bleak about the "implications" (particularly in regards to the ending of course, not the general awfulness of the plot itself.)

I always found it like
whatever she said about the afterlife sounded awesome enough that the old lady was like fuck it omw
This lady was part of a group that did horrible things to get information.
And as soon as the lady hears whatever is whispered to her, it causes pure nihilism. It feels like the death of hope. There is no joy, she doesn't take the time to share what she learned. This is some pure cosmic horror shit, and even if it isn't, there is no way the "the lady received good news" interpretation makes sense, looking at how it's acted and in the context of her just... quitting.

Mademoiselle comes in and meets Anna. She asks if Anna has seen the other world, the Afterlife. Anna nods and whispers something into Mademoiselle's ears. So far, the society has seen 3 others who had reached the state of transcendence. But none of them could relate to what they were seeing. Anna, however, has been able to relate to what she's just seen. After whispering, Anna is in a state where she is no longer speaking.
The whole Society gathers to hear from Mademoiselle. The dude who makes the announcement to the rest of the Society goes to have a word with Mademoiselle. She's in the bathroom, de-powdering her nose. This is the conversation they have.

Dude: Mademoiselle, they're all waiting.
Mademoiselle: I'm coming.
Dude: So there is something?
Mademoiselle: Of course.
Dude: Was it clear?
Mademoiselle: Crystal clear.
Dude: And precise?
Mademoiselle: It admitted of no interpretations.
Dude: Thank you, Mademoiselle.
Mademoiselle: Could you imagine what there is after death?
Dude: No, Mademoiselle.
Mademoiselle: Keep doubting.

After this, she blows her brains out with her trusty little gun

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
As a single, 33-year-old man, I'm Thinking of Ending Things made me deeply unhappy.

Can't really elaborate further without spoiling the "twist".

Oct 27, 2017
This lady was part of a group that did horrible things to get information.
And as soon as the lady hears whatever is whispered to her, it's pure nihilism. There is no joy, she doesn't take the time to share what she learned. This is some pure cosmic horror shit, and even if it isn't, there is no way the "the lady received good news" interpretation makes sense, looking at how it's acted and in the context of her just... quitting.
Yeah I totally read it differently than you, and it's my favourite horror movie of all time. (Not saying your interpretation is wrong, just not how I saw it).

The way I see it, this secret society has been doing horrendous things for at least a few decades to find the answer to "what is the afterlife". I feel when Anna whispers her in ear, she basically explains that none of the suffering actually matters and the afterlife is open for anyone. Old Lady thinks "Well, that's the answer to the question I've spent my whole life asking, maybe it's finally time to take the final step *bam* the end

Last edited:

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Road To Perdition, easily.

You end up forgetting about Jude Law's character halfway through the film and when he appears at the end it's a gut punch.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as bad as some of the films posted, but I like Miracle Mile a lot. The best way to approach that film is not knowing anything about it when you start watching.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Yeah I totally read it differently than you, and it's my favourite horror movie of all time. (Not saying your interpretation is wrong, just not how I saw it).
How did the dialogue (I pasted it above to look into it again) read like she received positive news though? "Keep doubting." Came across to me as some lovecraftian "things we should not know" thing.
And I mean the question genuine, maybe you can shed some light on what made you see it the way I didn't

Oct 27, 2017
How did the dialogue (I pasted it above to look into it again) read like she received positive news though? "Keep doubting." Came across to me as some lovecraftian "things we should not know" thing.
And I mean the question genuine, maybe you can shed some light on what made you see it the way I didn't
I elaborated in my previous post.

Regardless, it's still a fantastic ending to a delightfully fucked up horror film. My sister and I have been discussing it for years on and off every time one of us rewatches it.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Iron Man 3:

The first half of the movie is this spectacular, smart, engaging and even scary geopolitical thriller with tons of balls and things to say. With a villian that you were preparing in your mind as one of the best in the MCU will offer.

Then the second half and specially the ending is this corny, boring and by the numbers Marvel action galore, with a lame generic last boss and with a cringy super powered Gwyneth.

It's devastating really , such wasted potential in which was essentially a master troll by the filmmakers.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Saw Funny Games, that shit was fucked up
Which version did you see, btw?

I went for a weird compromise and watched the 2007 US version, but dubbed in German.

The way I see it, this secret society has been doing horrendous things for at least a few decades to find the answer to "what is the afterlife". I feel when Lucy whispers her in ear, she basically explains that none of the suffering actually matters and the afterlife is open for anyone. Old Lady thinks "Well, that's the answer to the question I've spent my whole life asking, maybe it's finally time to take the final step *bam* the end
That's interesting, but I feel like she wouldn't tell others to "keep doubting" in that case. The whole horrible story, to me, seemed like a "we need to find out for the greater good" type thing, so in my opinion, she would've shared the information. But I guess I can understand where you're coming from better, now.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
AI always fucks me up. Imagining losing my parents destroys me, and the finality of that little bastard getting to spend one last day with his mom just makes me cry every time.

Oct 27, 2017
AI always fucks me up. Imagining losing my parents destroys me, and the finality of that little bastard getting to spend one last day with his mom just makes me cry every time.
I don't care for the film really (it's a bit saccarine and Spielberg-y) but as a total Mama's Boy that shit makes me sob every time I see the clip.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Anybody said Requiem for a Dream? Because... yeah. That hit heavy when I first watched it. Still does, especially in regard to Burstyn's performance.

Ellen-Burstyn-requiem-for-a-dream-640x360.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Apparently the director/writer of the original (or maybe the book? I can't remember) says the American version is the definitive one.
Yeah, same guy directed both movies, so obviously, the bigger budget version 2.0 probably allowed for him to better realize his wishes.
BUT the guy is still Austrian, so I feel like the German dub is perhaps even the more definitive one. I mean, there is a "Top, die Wette gilt" bit in there

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, same guy directed both movies, so obviously, the bigger budget version 2.0 probably allowed for him to better realize his wishes.
BUT the guy is still Austrian, so I feel like the German dub is perhaps even the more definitive one. I mean, there is a "Top, die Wette gilt" bit in there
I've never seen the original to be fair. I like your compromise though haha.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
son-of-saul-poster.jpg

The ending to Son Of Saul is truly depressing and devastating. I'm glad I got to see it at the cinema. I bought the blu-ray afterwards to support the film, but I never want to watch something so bleak and downbeat ever again.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favorite films, but the ending of Brokeback Mountain leaves me feeling hollow and wrecked every time because of that scene with Ennis in Jack's childhood bedroom.

Oct 30, 2017
Requiem for a Dream for sure. Saw it blind because I liked Pi . Absolutely harrowing and beautifully shot.
Hereditary hit me afterwards, seeing how everything fit together and really thinking about it.
The Mist was a great twist on one of my favorite of King's stories, even if it did leave out the world of giant monsters in the text.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't devastating to me because I read the comic and knew it was coming, but I assumed Avengers: Infinity War would get more answer, particularly among the younger peeps here

for me the saddest are probably Se7en, The Mist, or Grave of the Fireflies, but I don't think I've been truly devastated by a movie ending (parts of movies, for sure, but I can't think of an ending that did it)

oh wait, Requiem for a Dream. Yeah, that did it. The music together with ruined/mangled lives

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hachi is a real gut punch. Let me tell you.....

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody said Requiem for a Dream? Because... yeah. That hit heavy when I first watched it. Still does, especially in regard to Burstyn's performance.

Ellen-Burstyn-requiem-for-a-dream-640x360.jpg

I first saw this movie in my high school freshman year video production class. The teacher just wanted to show the opening parts of the movie to explain editing, but the other kids in the class wanted to see the whole thing. He let us watch it for the remainder of the week. I will never in my life forget this movie.