• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I just watched Chinatown first the first time in a while and found the ending to be one of the saddest ones I've seen. This came out around the time of the Watergate scandal and Nixon's impeachment/resignation, so it fit the mood of the country and having a bleak view of institutions. Aside from Faye Dunaway's character dying, her father pulls her daughter away with him, who was already a product of incest, and it looks like the cycle will continue without consequences. Jack Nicholson's character, the witty protagonist, who always has something to say, can say nothing but "as little as possible" while looking completely defeated. It's all really jarring. And this being Roman Polanski's masterpiece, made around the time he raped a 13 year old girl adds a creepy context to a film involving rape and incest, making it even harder to stomach.

What were some movie endings you found devastating?

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Mystic River - just a bunch of terrible things culminating and even being approved of

Nov 27, 2020
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I knew what was coming even when I saw the trailer, there was only one way that story could end, but even so, it was a hell of a gut punch.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Wind River. It's probably a better resolution than that of most of the movies already posted, but still, the air is thick with tragedy and disenfranchisement.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Bros where Daisy shows up with a gun, because it will never get concluded. "You never gonna believe this!"

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Gone Girl. Don't watch if you're engaged lol.

A haunted house horror film where the monster is the institution of marriage.
tumblr_ngf6w5pF6f1qhhxd4o4_500.gif

She's such a cool girl though :)

Wind River. It's probably a better resolution than that of most of the movies already posted, but still, the air is thick with tragedy and disenfranchisement.
Yea this movie is heartbreaking. Just everything about it is pain.

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
What did you guys think was "bleak" about the ending to Martyrs? It's left pretty open-ended.

edit: ignoring the fact that everything about the film itself, from beginning to end, is brutal as fuck.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made a thread about it a few weeks ago, but Grave of the Fireflies.

Well, the entire movie is devastating, but the end just puts a tearful bow on it.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Dancer in the Dark.

To this day I hold a grudge against David Morse, and I KNOW he was just acting. I know it, and I still hate him.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria