• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

keysersöze

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Collateral. I love that fucking movie but to this day I can't re-watch it because the end just pisses me off so, so much!

what? the ending is perfect.. the entire time tom cruises character is shown to be highly trained and kills everyone with a double tap ( two to the chest, one to the head ) and in the end? the doors close on the monorail and block the shot on jamie foxx and he, being untrained, shoots wildly and kills tom cruise. its such a great forshadowing for the ending that is absolutely amazing. It also comes full circle about the story of the homeless guy dying on the train they first talk about before the first killing. one of my favorite movies ever.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
This and the "love transcends space and time" horseshit. I was totally on board with the movie up till that point
I've been mad at that line for a long time.

It's even worst when you look at it as "hey, we put a woman scientist, but we made sure that no one could take her seriously and she was too emotional to science."

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
what? the ending is perfect.. the entire time tom cruises character is shown to be highly trained and kills everyone with a double tap ( two to the chest, one to the head ) and in the end? the doors close on the monorail and block the shot on jamie foxx and he, being untrained, shoots wildly and kills tom cruise. its such a great forshadowing for the ending that is absolutely amazing. It also comes full circle about the story of the homeless guy dying on the train they first talk about before the first killing. one of my favorite movies ever.

Whatever! It's nicely wrapped up but if it was a Korean movie or if the director had some courage it would have ended differently and as it should have.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Posted this last time we had a similar thread. But the twist ending to Remember Me with Robert Pattinson is something else...

SomeDisguisedAardwolf-size_restricted.gif

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I can't remember the end but was it not annoying because they knew each other, the coincidence they met earlier that day. The last target for Cruise.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
There are two that come to mind. The first is Seven Pounds, majority of the film is just maudlin but passable, while the ending is infuriatingly manipulative and attempts to pass off the actions of the protagonist as noble. I think it's literally the most awful and morally wrong ending I have ever witnessed.

The other one is:

Oh man, I don't think any movie ending has annoyed as much as "Now You See Me" that dumb ass pull that the movie makers thought would make the movie resemble a magic trick just angered me like no other.

because it's just so damn infuriatingly dumb and nonsensical

Edit: Oh right, I Am Legend ending infuriated me when I learned how much sense the original ending made

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Shutter Island, the ending made the whole movie feel pointless.

The ending of that movie actually made that movie worthwhile imo.

At the end, the way it ends actually has a two-fold suggestion: either he's actually crazy or the whole thing is actually shady af. Re-watching the movie under the new revelation that he actually is crazy blows my mind every time. It makes the movie infinitely rewatchable for me

Worst ending though:
The Dark Knight Returns

Everything about that movie was absolute horseshit. What a horrible way to end a series.

Oct 29, 2017
I've been mad at that line for a long time.

It's even worst when you look at it as "hey, we put a woman scientist, but we made sure that no one could take her seriously and she was too emotional to science."

It just drove me nuts because the movie presented itself as a Sciencey Science Movie about Science up till that point; then they smack you upside the head with the Power of Love dimension.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Fallen. For about 95% of it I found it to be an entertaining, well-told story, and FWIW it gives away its own ending, at least in terms of the outcome.

It's how the ending plays out that ruins everything.
Throughout the entire movie, the demon only possesses humans. If it couldn't find one, it became vulnerable. That was its weakness. But then at the very end, trapped in a dying man with no other humans nearby, it. . . jumps into a cat. That's the first time it jumps into a non-human, and it's right at the very end.

"Now," you might say, "Supernatural stories write their own rules, and just because the demon hadn't possessed non-human animals before doesn't mean it couldn't have at any point prior." Sure, that defends its internal consistency. It didn't break any of its own rules; it just deliberately hid one of them. The problem is that deception undermines the entire film. In terms of what the audience knows the reveal suddenly and VASTLY expands the scope of the demon's powers, to the point of being so powerful & unstoppable that any resistance was clearly futile in hindsight. It also leads to profound questions that the movie has neither the time nor inclination to answer. If cats, then how about dogs? Mice? Birds? What's the limit? Could the demon possess, for instance, a mosquito? If possession was that much more immensely flexible than "just humans", how much danger was the demon actually in?

And for those who are all "you just don't like subverted expectations", there was no expectation to subvert. The demon/narrator says right at the beginning that this was a story about how it almost died. The ending wasn't a twist. It was all about how it resolves, which was an extremely lame deus ex machina because the writer wrote the script into a corner and in response cranked the antagonist's superpowers up to 11 to get out of it, making all the suspense and tension the audience had invested a complete waste of time.
The movie flopped and I daresay it's because of the ending. Audiences were expecting something clever and got that instead.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gone Girl - No fucking way would he EVER go back with her, let alone have a child with her, just no way, nope, nada, no.

Law Abiding Citizen - I wanted the guy to win, but having the good guys put the bomb IN his jail cell to kill him was a step too far in absurdity and felt wrong.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't ever see it.

It's a running joke between my wife and I; she laughs at me because I get irrationally angry whenever the movie is brought up.

So, her husband is a lame, she tries to spice up her marriage but it doesn't work. She goes on a company trip with her boss, who she finds attractive, but keeps her distance because she's married. On the private jet back home, her boss RAPES her. She goes home, and due to PTSD, tries even harder to get her husband to pick up the slack. Doesn't happen, so she runs back to her boss, who then gets her hooked on drugs and sex. Her husband is supposed to be this stand up guy, but doesn't defend his wife when she needs it the most. He finally "comes to her rescue", but it's only because he can tell her to her face that they need to get a divorce.

She ended up contracting a sexual disease (probably AIDS knowing Tyler Perry) and has to get her medication from the very drug store her ex-husband works at with his new wife and children; children she can't have due to the STI she contracted from the boss and she has to do the Incredible Hulk TV show walk while the credits are rolling, essentially telling the women in the audience "If you let temptation get the best of you, this will happen to you!"

Fuck that fucking movie.

Tyler Perry has always struck me as a low-key mysoginist.

Like all his films purport to focus on "strong women" but I always feel like it's him basically telling women how to act. The fact that he as Madea literally does that in some films adds to that.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
damn, i can't remember the name of it, but it was an alien invasion film where at the end, i guess they ran out of budget and had to use drawn storyboard images to show how it ends.

it was mega terrible

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In a good way:

Contact - brilliant ending that makes you really feel for the characters and put you in their shoes.

Fahrenheit 11/9 - really disturbing knowing what happened and is still happening

In a bad way:

No Country for Old Men - that movie did not sell me at all on that nothing ending. I'm sure it meant something, but it couldn't do it.

Batman v Superman - the movie as a whole was infuriating, but how WB got the nerve to do the laziest and worst possible version of a death of Superman story and then decide it was ok to film was just astonishing.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll are going to hate me, but Unbreakable. It felt like it ended right where the third act should have started.
(I'm aware there are two more movies. I haven't seen them. I'm just talking about my reaction when I watched the first one for the first time.)

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of The Polar Express that guy gets his gift back, but they never show what's actually in the giftbox. Are you fucking kidding?

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Texas Chainsaw 3D - The protagonist is completely okay that she is related to a serial killer and he has killed all of her friends and now she is Leatherface's guardian. The movie was already awful but the ending was so insulting.

Yeah...I was on the side of the redneck mob the entire movie.

"Oh no, vigilante justice against this family of heavily armed cannibals. Vigilantes are the true monsters here."

Could you imagine if in the 6th Nightmare on Elm Street, Freddy was the hero against the parents whose kids he murdered and it was played straight and his daughter was on his side?

Posted this last time we had a similar thread. But the twist ending to Remember Me with Robert Pattinson is something else...

SomeDisguisedAardwolf-size_restricted.gif
I've never seen this movie but damn you have my choice beat if that was the twist. That's fucked

Last edited:

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
If the movie is good but the ending is terrible, I just end up being disappointed. If the movie wasn't great to begin with, it's hard to feel angry about ending of any kind.

That being said, I remember really hating the ending of Splice. A.I. Artificial Intelligence is an enjoyable movie with an ending I really don't like but I wouldn't use the word angry.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Don't ever see it.

It's a running joke between my wife and I; she laughs at me because I get irrationally angry whenever the movie is brought up.

So, her husband is a lame, she tries to spice up her marriage but it doesn't work. She goes on a company trip with her boss, who she finds attractive, but keeps her distance because she's married. On the private jet back home, her boss RAPES her. She goes home, and due to PTSD, tries even harder to get her husband to pick up the slack. Doesn't happen, so she runs back to her boss, who then gets her hooked on drugs and sex. Her husband is supposed to be this stand up guy, but doesn't defend his wife when she needs it the most. He finally "comes to her rescue", but it's only because he can tell her to her face that they need to get a divorce.

She ended up contracting a sexual disease (probably AIDS knowing Tyler Perry) and has to get her medication from the very drug store her ex-husband works at with his new wife and children; children she can't have due to the STI she contracted from the boss and she has to do the Incredible Hulk TV show walk while the credits are rolling, essentially telling the women in the audience "If you let temptation get the best of you, this will happen to you!"

Fuck that fucking movie.
I am legitimately appalled.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah...I was on the side of the redneck mob the entire movie.

"Oh no, vigilante justice against this family of heavily armed cannibals. Vigilantes are the true monsters here."

Could you imagine if in the 6th Nightmare on Elm Street, Freddy was the hero against the parents whose kids he murdered and it was played straight and his daughter was on his side?

I've never seen this movie but damn you have my choice beat if that was the twist. That's fucked

Do your thing cuz! He ripped apart your boyfriend! Why are you ignoring that fact?

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Drag Me to Hell for me.
I was bothered by the idea that the director said the protagonist deserved what she got and that Mrs. Ganush was a victim. Mrs. Ganush was a rude, petty piece of shit who would rather place her burden on complete strangers than go to her family for help out of nothing but her own pride, and then abuse her power to subject people to the ultimate punishment if they didn't bend to her whims.

Do your thing cuz! He ripped apart your boyfriend!
And your best friend, and that friend of a friend, and almost you, and several other people. Apparently they were totally justified in preemptively trying to kill you when they found out what you were if you're gonna turn that fuckin' easily. How many faces gotta get taken off before you go "hey, maybe I shouldn't associate with this part of my family..."

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Big Short. Fuck capitalism.

That scene with Brad after the guys he's mentoring start high-fiving each other and are super excited in what they did, and he just shuts that shit down hard, really brought it home just how fucked up it all was. The fact the I think only one person ever was convicted for the 2008 crash in the United States is mind boggling.

I'd also add All the Money in the World. But that was a film that I was pretty much pissed almost all the way through it.

Now for recent films that made me angry in how they ended because they were garbage, well I'd say Alien: Covenant and Jurassic World II come to mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac has what is basically real dumb super-dark punchline as its ending, which really pissed me off when I saw it. Like, it kinda sells out its characters at the end of a super intense 4 hour movie, essentially for a bit.

Granted thinking back on it, as a joke its pretty funny and crystallizes some of the themes of the movie interestingly, but its still a bit cloyingly, attention-seekingly provocative in the way that Von Trier can be at his most annoying.

My wife was bothered by Phantom Thread's ending.

i'm hungry

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't ever see it.

Fuck that fucking movie.
I bailed out of Tyler Perry movies when they juxtaposed Madea giving a speech about someone who was raped with a hot grits joke. Haven't seen a tonal whiplash that hard since Bambi's mom got shot

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Speilberg's Waw of the Worlds suffers from his inability to stick the landing on a lot of his films. Shame too since everything else was so well executed.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The ending to the Mist is the only reason anyone remembers that mediocre movie at all. It absolutely shouldn't be so frequently mentioned in this topic.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
No country for old men. Terrible ending. I thought my dvd skipped or something and just blew past 20 minutes towards the last act. Movie was great up until the offscreen death. Dumb decision imo