• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Aldi in the US are like that as well. Guess you've never been to one. I believe they are timed during training and have to meet a certain threshold of scans/minute to stay on. And the cashier also stocks, cleans, etc. With the exception of the manager, everyone does everything. It's just a very different approach compared to the typical American experience.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't get stressed out at the cash register. Remember that every minute you take packing your groceries is a little break for the cashier within a stressful shift of conveyor belt work. They appreciate it if you take your time.

"Bio" means "biohazard" btw. Hope you didn't eat any of that poison.

Dec 2, 2017
Every time I'm at Aldi or Lidl or some shit I'm fearing the end of the cashier line because these people are literally on a mission to throw my groceries down the checkout counter at light speed. Also why is everything labeled "bio"?

Also, I'm American and speak American, but trying to learn German, currently via duolingo and will sign up for a beginners course. Any other recommendations to reach speaking level ASAP?

Will be here for a while, am excited, the bread and beer are great. People stare a lot. What else should I know?

It is best to learn the language via a course. You should also watch some kids tv like the KiKa channel.

As for the groceries, that's the way it is done at German discounters. Just go with the flow or you'll earn a lot of nasty stares. Speaking of stares - Germans stare. A lot. No idea where this comes from but they don't mean any harm. Another thing, once you have learned a bit of German you'll notice that Germans can be quite blunt. You'll hear "nein" a lot and this is not seen as rude. Small talk isn't really a thing either. Oh, and German government agencies are the absolute worst. German bureaucracy is not a stereotype.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, in any bigger city, you'll get by using English without any issues. It's even hard for some people to learn German when everyone tries to speak English with you.

Yes. But only after the following:

Me: "Sprechen Sie Englisch? Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut."
German: "Ja ich spreche ein bisschen Englisch, aber nicht so gut."

Switch to English and find that said German can speak English better than most native English speakers.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every time I'm at Aldi or Lidl or some shit I'm fearing the end of the cashier line because these people are literally on a mission to throw my groceries down the checkout counter at light speed. Also why is everything labeled "bio"?

Also, I'm American and speak American, but trying to learn German, currently via duolingo and will sign up for a beginners course. Any other recommendations to reach speaking level ASAP?

Will be here for a while, am excited, the bread and beer are great. People stare a lot. What else should I know?

P.S. What the fuck is this Die/Der/Das/Den/Dick shit?
Huncho_Houdini They are that fast because they don't want to let people keep waiting. Especially when at Aldi, just pack that shit back into your cart and pack them into your bag away from the line. It's labeled bio because either it's the brand that's called that or it's from places that adher to a standard of production that, at least in theory, doesn't completely fuck the environment.

Sign up at a VHS (Volkshochschule) to learn German if you don't feel like spending a lot. If you got the money, depending on where you live go for something like the Carl Duisberg Centren.

Other recommendations, looking at your PS, as I nativ speaker I would have recommended to learn German before moving because it's hard as fuck lol. Which city do you live in anyway? Also sign up for A1 if you don't even know the articles.

Nov 1, 2017

P.S. What the fuck is this Die/Der/Das/Den/Dick shit?

How did you pull that off? It's nearly impossible to move there unless you are sponsored by a company, marry someone or have a ton of money. One of the three, if not, one is SOL on that front.

People in Germany are great, they do tend to be up front with what they think/say, so don't duck around any issues, be up front they seem to respect that more if not expect it. Also if you say you are going to meet someone soon be aware they will likely expect just that, not simple plesantaries.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think Aldi's store brands actually have bar codes on all sides of the packaging, so their cashiers can scan them in without having to pay attention to where the bar code is.

The insane speed really is a Lidl and Aldi thing, though. Rewe, Edeka and the likes are usually much slower.

KeinPlanB

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2019
Speak english and take your time to learn german, it is a pain in the ass to learn it in a course.

Always use a shopping cart at Aldi and position it correctly at the cashier to just shove your stuff into it. After that you have all the time you need.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lidl and Aldi are known for this. The cashiers have to be able to scan at a certain speed. At EDEKA or whatever they don't have to be that fast.
Put your stuff up in a strategic way as somebody said before.
Stuff that can't be crushed goes on the belt first, so you can put it at the bottom of your bag.
Or just get a cart and put everything in there and pack up your stuff after you've paid.

OP
OP
Huncho_Houdini
Dec 31, 2017
What the fuck is this He/She/Him/Her/They/Them shit?

Well I think that would be Er/Sie/Es/Ihr, not really equivalent.
why dont people get its different? Its not complex. Not only is the morphology totally different for most consonants, the vocabulary is way different than British English.

OP, why did you move to a country without knowing literally any of its language? You didnt have any time to prepare?

Work and study program is in English. Learning German is an idea of my own volition.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Easy, pack as they scan, pay, and make room for the next person in line.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Also why is everything labeled "bio"?
because the product and the Producer are bio certified. It's not a perfect certification but better then nothing.

Welcome to Germany. I hope you have a good time here.

Oh and be glad that you didn't lived in Germany when the cashiers in also didn't scan but knew every code for every product and they just hacked them into the register. That was fucking super fast. Good old time.

Feb 10, 2018
Aldi are fast in UK too, its just there style.
What I do is keep my basket/trolly, after they have scanned it I put it back in the basket, I then bag it up on the counter at the end of the checkouts.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
German efficiency. One thing I absolutely adore about Germany is Their precision low tolerancd for bullshit and small talk and their efficiency.

Sorry for stereotyping.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It's capitalism and the people working at Aldi and Lidl are pushed hard, they are treated like amazon workers. 15 bucks per hour but you get your ass kicked if you are not moving.

That's 6€ above minimum wage. additionally a 13th salary for Christmas and other bonuses.
They are not worked to death like amazon workers and I don't see many new faces in the discounter. Some of them I know for 15 years. Amazon workers have a shell life of 6 to 24 months.

Same with callcenters, THAT is stressful work for minimum wage. And you always meet new people! (because the old ones are getting fired, get an early retirement because of depression/stress or just quit.)

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
After a couple of years you will be staring at the person ahead of you, knowing they ain't got their wallet ready and its in their backpack. Or cursing some fucker for buying a carton of milk with a debit card. It's all about speed here people.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
After a couple of years you will be staring at the person ahead of you, knowing they ain't got their wallet ready and its in their backpack. Or cursing some fucker for buying a carton of milk with a debit card. It's all about speed here people.
Thats still faster than "ich habs passend". Those people should be banned from buying groceries.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's actually part of the "Discounter" stores that behind the cashier there is almost no room for stuff to go. its supposed to go right into your cart again.
You find this at Lidl, Aldi, Penny, Netto etc.
At EDEKA, REWE and whatever, the pricier stores, theres lots of room for your stuff after the cashier

OP
OP
Huncho_Houdini
Dec 31, 2017
How did you pull that off? It's nearly impossible to move there unless you are sponsored by a company, marry someone or have a ton of money. One of the three, if not, one is SOL on that front.

People in Germany are great, they do tend to be up front with what they think/say, so don't duck around any issues, be up front they seem to respect that more if not expect it. Also if you say you are going to meet someone soon be aware they will likely expect just that, not simple plesantaries.

I'm in grad school and it's a specialized extended study program. It covered all living expenses as well. I realize it's a pretty sweet deal. But it's not permanent.

That's you're issue, you only know "American".

Your*

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Lidl's bar-codes are hella big and cover a large part of the packaging which makes it easy to scan. They also have very simple PLU-numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
Is "American" basically English but every word is shouted 10x as loud as everybody else so you can hear the conversation you're having 150 meters away?
Correct, but there is some nuance.

It's sometimes important to have the mouth filled with chewed bits of cheeseburger so that it flutters from the mouth while shouting. It's considered a display of close friendliness or intimacy to project them hard enough to pepper someone's cheeks with the bits. It's also occasionally performed in business to show sincerity. Most American businessmen keep a cheeseburger in their pocket during important meetings. In less formal conversations between friends or coworkers, it's customary for the valediction to be "U.S.A.!" However in business it's typically the more formal "The star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave."

It used to be common to also carry small american flags on toothpicks to be held while emphasizing questions, but younger generations have relaxed on these kinds of formalities.

That's not right at all lol. That's like saying someone speaks Cuban.
And yet everyone knew exactly what me meant with no confusion, only pedantry.
The chosen language did its job regardless.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's actually part of the "Discounter" stores that behind the cashier there is almost no room for stuff to go. its supposed to go right into your cart again.
You find this at Lidl, Aldi, Penny, Netto etc.
At EDEKA, REWE and whatever, the pricier stores, theres lots of room for your stuff after the cashier
Heh it's funny, when Lidl came to Finland it was the same as it was in Germany. But because customers demanded it, they had to modify the checkouts to have room for your groceries. Though it took quite a while before those were added, but every Lidl store has them here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Those cashiers love to wörk and they enjoy their wörk a lot. Stop trying to ruin their fun by beeing slow and clapping after every item they scanned.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
The Aldi and Lidl cashiers are the same in the UK, So quick.

As others have said the shelf I used the shelf until you getthe hang of it, just throw all of your items in the trolley and then pack at the shelf.

Once you have a bag packing system down you'll easily be able to keep up with the cashiers, it's all about what order you place items on the belt.

Raxel

Nov 1, 2017
It's the subject of satire:

I had a terrible experience at Aldi this morning. The lady at the checkout was scanning my shopping too quickly for me to pack, and so I asked her to slow down.

She ignored me and got faster, and all of a sudden the checkout started smoking. I asked her again if she could slow down and was very polite about it, but she ignored me and got even faster.

A few seconds later, a ball of plasma lightning bolts appeared on the conveyor belt, just like the one from Terminator 2 before Arnie appears bollock-naked, and yet again I pleaded with her to take it easier – however my pleas went unanswered.

As others have mentioned, heavier items at the front, lighter at the back. For advanced packing, organise by kitchen destination on the belt (freezer, fridge, store/pantry) for optimal unpacking

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The OP makes it easier to understand why Europeans (and other continents) have a not-so-favorable attitude towards American tourists.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
German efficiency. One thing I absolutely adore about Germany is Their precision low tolerancd for bullshit and small talk and their efficiency.

Sorry for stereotyping.

Nah, as someone who worked as a German cashier for half a year, I can tell you that people actually adore a little bit of small talk.

HOWEVER! You better keep up your speed while doing so, because otherwise the other customers will get pissy as fuck.

Also @ topic: Being fast has can be a godsend sometimes. I can't tell you the amount of times I managed not to get yelled at by a customer for their inability to properly read the ads we put out, simply being by appearing to be too concentrated to talk while scanning items.

I almost miss the job. Then I see the literal hell that's going on before holidays and then I remember why I quitted in the first place.